Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

How is it possible this guy is already at 2013 RG3 level ego without having the magical and ego-boosting 2012 season first? haha I mean...I guess he beat Washington in the Rose Bowl last year so maybe that was it. 

If he’s going to go out of his way to make fans not like him, just embrace it. Give me the full Cutler. I want cigarettes photoshopped into his mouth on the sidelines because his expression says he gives so little ****s about anything. Go partying with Mia Khalifa in DC clubs at 3am on a Saturday before a game etc. keep giving press conferences where you appear like the least self-aware person in a thousand miles. 

go big. Hakuna Matata simba

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He was on the sidelines, a fan gave him his phone, Haskins was being nice and interacting with fans. Wow, totally “bad look”. 

look...

Youre right. One occasion is not a big deal. The problem with Haskins is maturity is something that has been an issue on a constant basis. This episode, in a vacuum, is a learning opportunity. As a sum of the parts, it’s more reason to have doubts about Haskins maturity level and raise concerns to his character.

Hes young. That stuff can be fixed with life experience. But at some point he needs to stop with these antics. 

I guarantee if this was a first questionable offense there would be a swarm of people drowning out the negativity. But this is a pattern. 

You’re a smart guy. See the forest through the trees.

Haskins is a KID. And his immaturity is evident... Starting back on draft night. Can he grow up? Sure. Is it the end of the world each little thing? Hardly.. But the cumulative of each "little" thing adds up, particularly for a fed up fan base out of patience to give. Its not his fault that he landed here- but the reality is that this fanbase aint playin that. If he were in MIA things like the final snap mightve just blown over... 

Understanding how young and raw he is, mechanically and physically, Im surprised KOC isnt MORE responsible for him. Or if he is to busy, why not have an assistant glued to him with a surface pro? Just seems he is kinda uncoached and left to figure out how to be the guy from Keenum (LMMFAO)

I hope the last 2 drives are positive building blocks not just for him, but our young core of players. I liked the grit, the never quit resolve. Easily tonlose that on a 1 win team...  Loser mentality was setting in here baaaad!

As the game slows im hoping he can work into what he is learning as far as mechanics. In golf you always resort to your faults when the going gets tough. Once its ingrained muscle memory you change those fall back behaviors. I saw some good decisions today..  

Some BIG misses too-

*had Tmac for 6 earlyand pushed it... Nerves, he got to willy bout it. Wasnt far off tho- hit his hands.. Correctable

*Had Harmon not slowed on the bomb, that was a HUGE PLAY... Placed nicely out of harms way where only he can get it

*Similarly he had Tmac for 6 and put it out where only he can get it- past the db. Looked like Terry burst for it a hair late? Its a doable play, wouldve been a tough pass and catch with out better touch though.

These 3 were big to me... He was VERY close on those 3 plays. And if all 3 are catches the narrative on his performance, coupled with the final drive for fg... I think paints a better picture then what we got. 

As close as those plays were, mere inches, it shows he can do it... Now just needs ro do it better. The name of the game is to improve. Hopefully he can learn from the close ones... And the gross ones.  Find the problem areas and grow. 

Idk who his qb coach is... But hope to god he is in with ESers and can improve his weaknesses this off-season.

When is the last time we drafted a rookie QB onto the the team and they started while the team was bad?  I suppose the obvious answer is RG3, but I think the major difference here is that the Shanahan's bent over backwards to create a specific offense that Robert could excel in, where Haskins is taking his lumps in an actual NFL offense.  

The offense has some quality young pieces on it, the O-line is not helping matters much at the moment outside of some good individual play, but as a unit they aren't very good and definitely aren't helping the transition for a rookie has been deemed "not ready."

I have no idea what road Haskins will take going forward, but I am not ready to give up on him yet.  The one thing I do think he should get credit for is that he seems to make the correct reads and knows where the ball should go on most every play.  He needs to make those throws though.  I am not sure if it is his mechanics specifically that is causing him to throw high, but since he is throwing consistently high, it tends to make me think it is mechanical and something that can be fixed. It'd be different if every miss was something different where he was showing zero ability to get it anywhere in the realm. There was also some word of his wrist being injured and him having difficulty gripping the ball.  No idea what kind of truth there is to that though. 

1 hour ago, NoCalMike said:

There was also some word of his wrist being injured and him having difficulty gripping the ball.  No idea what kind of truth there is to that though. 

This was another thing about the press conference that seemed to rub people the wrong way. I guess he didn't disclose enough about the wrist injury, but I wonder if the video people will try to pinpoint a play where this happened. He did take some shots this game so I don't doubt it. But it seemed like reporters were afraid to talk to him those first three or so questions

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

look...

Youre right. One occasion is not a big deal. The problem with Haskins is maturity is something that has been an issue on a constant basis. This episode, in a vacuum, is a learning opportunity. As a sum of the parts, it’s more reason to have doubts about Haskins maturity level and raise concerns to his character.

Hes young. That stuff can be fixed with life experience. But at some point he needs to stop with these antics. 

I guarantee if this was a first questionable offense there would be a swarm of people drowning out the negativity. But this is a pattern. 

You’re a smart guy. See the forest through the trees.

I agree on the maturity stuff, this shouldn't have happened.

But I'd like to point out that for a guy with not so much maturity, and after a bad game, he was 7 on 20, he ended up 6 for 9 when game was on the line.

So he stood up under pressure and didn't hide from it. Which is good, and an important trait you want from a QB.

How many QBs have we had around here that would have pout when the Lions took the lead?

"I'm a closer."

But can't close out the game with a simple kneel down cause he was too busy taking a selfie with fans.

Can't close out a game by missing TMC in the end zone, twice.  The deep ball in the 4th, maybe a bit understandable but the one in the first half was inexcusable.

To the defenders who are saying "It's no big deal," and "Whatever," ok.  We all want Haskins to be the franchise QB.  We want him to be a Brees, Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson...I mean, name your favorite quarterback that you wish Haskins could have a similar career to.

Would Brady have ever run over to the sidelines to take a selfie with a fan with time still on the clock?

No.

Brees?

No.

Mahomes?

No.

Rodgers?  

No.

Wilson?

No.

Anyone who's downplaying him missing the final snap isn't comprehending the notion that it's the little things that matter.  All the quarterbacks I mentioned above, they don't do **** like that because their head is in the game, 100%.  Situational awareness.  Haskins is obviously immature, I hope he's not this obtuse.  

So if Haskins is missing the LITTLE things that supposedly don't matter, what else is he slipping on?  What does he REALLY value?  Gets so excited that he slams a water bottle down and just HAS to go to the sidelines to take a selfie with a fan?  Doesn't he want to be with his teammates first?  And it's not like he killed it today, he missed wide open throws again.  He didn't lead his team into the end zone at all.  And then he gives a press conference like that?  Dude, your completion percentage was below 50%, you threw a pick, missed two touchdowns to TMC, had Harmon bail you out with an amazing one handed catch, it'd be a favor to call you average...and you say "I'm a closer.  That's what I do" ?Watch that presser again, :45 seconds in he's talking about how he thought the game was over.  

Then at 2:20, someone asks him, "Dwayne, just to be clear you were seen on camera posing for selfies with fans, was that when the game was over..."

And Haskins just goes "Over."  Couldn't bother to repeat himself and say something like "I thought it was over, I made a mistake..."  No, just cuts the guy off and implies that the game was....over? But a minute ago he said he thought the game was over?  

I don't know who the **** he thinks he is, but he's not.  

Here's something the cameras didn't pick up, but I saw it today.  Game's winding down, can't remember exactly when it was but I think the Skins had it in hand.  I believe it was after Moreau's 2nd interception.  I'm close to the bench, Guice is standing there talking with Scherff and there are fans in the front row going crazy, shouting for Guice.  He turns around, waves to them.  Didn't go over to them.  What he DID do, was call one of the team assistants over, take his gloves off, gave them to the assistant and told him to give the gloves to one of the fans in the front row.  Waved to the kid, gave him a thumbs up, turned around and went back to his teammates.  

Guice, easily the most affable guy on the team had the awareness to NOT go over to the stands.  But Haskins just couldn't wait to go take selfies.  Yeah, ultimately, it's a gesture that's small, largely insignificant but if you can't understand why it's not a good look...well, like I said, find me another top flight, franchise QB that'd have done that.  

When I played, most of the teams I was on - from Pop Warner to college - had a rule: helmet on at all times, full awareness of the game situation, ready to go. 

Sure I’m old, but WTH? Is this not still a rule for most teams? Or do they not insist on at least the underlying intent which is full readiness?

If I were Callahan there would be some consequence to this. Harmless outcome this time but what if he’s ****ing around when you really need him?

The red flags are flying all around this guy, it's pretty easy to see. He has the ego of Griff already and at least Griffin had a great 2012.  Haskins was terrible yesterday, then threw a few swing passes, got a gift Detroit interception a GREAT catch by Terry and now Haskins thinks he's John Elway.   The one thing I was concerned about, and i posted this to much criticism, is his accuracy. He was flat missing guys all over the field and this is nothing new.  

Bust. 

8 hours ago, owa said:

I think the current fanbase it pretty much hopeless.  Too many years of being brainwashed by the post and lousy play by the team on the field.  I don't think they (the current so called fans) will come around no matter what as long as Synder is owner.  I think we need to gain new fans from the team's play and some success. 

You’re correct that the current dissatisfied fans won’t come around as long as Snyder is owner but not for the reason you think. 

As long as Snyder is owner this team will continue to lose. If they won all would be forgiven but after so many years of failure there is almost no chance at all that Snyder will ever right the ship. He is inept and cannot put together a decent front office. Without that we’re not going to suddenly become winners. 

I thought that missing the last play was another sign of his immaturity and something that I hope he will learn from. It was a bad look IMO and hopefully he gets called out for it by his coaches and teammates.

Regarding the over-throws, I was wondering if they could be a consequence of him trying to fix his mechanics. I'll need to watch the game again, but his throwing action appeared more consistently sound yesterday. Maybe once he doesn't have to think about his mechanics the accuracy will improve?

I could be clutching at straws here because I really want him to succeed, but almost everything I've seen so far tells me that he just ain't got it.

People's memories are so short these days. In Sammy Baugh's second year (1935), he got so amped up over a win that he missed the final play, too. He had rushed over to the stands, found a cute blonde, got a smooch, and sat for an pastel caricature while the clock was still ticking. Because selfies took longer back in the day, especially when hand drawn, Sammy missed the final seven minutes of the game.

No one said a word.

Image result for Sammy Baugh art

Came to get some thoughts on Haskins performance...I see that everyone is extremely grounded and logical on their reactions post game lol.

I thought Haskins was actually..."close". As a Terry McLaurin fantasy owner, Haskins is killing me. BUT, his misses were close. He was throwing to the correct people most of the time. Honestly, he looked like a rookie, little too much on some balls, not quite enough on a couple others...perfect on a couple. His mobility is nice to see. He seems to have a good idea of when to step up in a pocket. Needs to work on making quicker decisions, but that is a rookie thing. He was literally inches away from having a very good game. 

As an eternal QB pessimist, and i mean i hate QBs, I think Haskins gives me a little bit of hope. At least enough that I want to see him start another 21+ games...

PS - Yeh SelfieGate wasn't a good look, but there is no doubt the kid lives and dies by the scoreboard. He wants to win. He is a kid.  He will get smarter in those kind of aspects. But there is no question about his competitiveness. That scramble in the 4th quarter was both savage and reckless. I loved it.

PSS - Anyone catch the way the Linemen were reacting to him? Guys picking him up off the turf, embracing him at the end of the game...

7 hours ago, dyst said:

“Closer” are we ****ing serious. I don’t know the full context of that but he can’t be serious.

There is no context to know. Dude just straight up said he was a closer when they asked him something about getting his **** together enough to help win the 4th quarter after sucking all day. 

I mean, if hes trying to say he didnt get down on himself and that he pulled it together in the end, technically hes right. He just got a 4th quarter win. But also, what a ****ing stupid thing to say for a guy who swears he knows where RG3 went wrong lol. Like come on brah, people are waiting on you to fail, take your win and run. Smh. Hes a child though. And hes acting like it. I still think any good organization would be in his ear from the last snap telling him what NOT to say and to be humble. Help him manage all the stuff he clearly isnt capable of managing at this point. Like how the **** didnt you know where he was at the end of the game. Thats not just his fault, they need to know where he is all the time. Again, bad org. But hes such a douche lol 

They won though. That should be something to enjoy. And they looked like they cared for the 2nd time all season. Its a good monday morning if the worst thing we can **** about is how we won. 

EDIT: Wait you telling me he actually didnt miss the last snap and time ran out? HAHAHAH wtf with these Redskins. 

At what point does Haskins wake up and realize his 50td season from Ohio state means nothing in the Pro's and he needs to start behaving and playing like the professional NFL QB we thought we were drafting. His EGO needs to get inline with his NFL production thus far. I couldn't imagine any coach watching from home or another team would honestly want to inherit this owner & QB combo, Snyder & Haskins , what a recipe for failure 

I am still in the let's see this play out drill with Haskins.  As for the idea of him saying that he's a closer.  I do think that fits with his ego.  I recall when he had that deep pass completed in preseason and got some hype about it, he said on twitter to someone something to the effect of that's what I do, I kill it on deep balls.  I do like a QB to have some ego as long as they work hard.  But yeah recalling billing himself as a deep ball artist publicly and to add the league messed up line too -- I gather the he's a closer drill is as egotistical as it sounds and I'd wager a bet we will hear comments like that here and there throughout his career since we've gotten some already before he's even established himself.

Aaron Rodgers has a big ego.  So ego IMO isn't per se a bad thing.  But I get those who want him to do something before making statements like that.  I'd have to watch that segment again by Finlay to ensure I didn't hear any part of it wrong but if I heard it right, I thought he really slaughtered Haskins before the game in the pregame show.  If I heard him right, he more or said coaches have told him they don't expect Haskins to emerge this season and it might not be next year either.   And he didn't say it in a way where it gave the impression of but wait until after that we think he will eventually kill it.   Every guy who covers the team pretty much has voiced that they have heard concerns about how he looks in practice and general maturity.   So I get some of the negativity that some have.  Having said that, any kid can go through struggles finding their way.  And there are some indications from those same reporters that Haskins is improving on that front so there is some reason to hope. 

As for Haskins performance, I don't know what to think.  I land more negative than positive but wonder if the momentum of how the game ended carries over to next game?  So I am staying open minded on that front.  Next game I think is big for him.   I watched Daniel Jones (who I am not a fan of) play against these same two teams that Haskins just played (both with atrocious pass defenses) and he looked like a borderline pro bowler against both albeit they did lose.  I figured Jones would be ahead of Haskins because of his experience but to me right now they aren't even in the same conversation, Jones looks light years better.  And for a dude who slammed Jones plenty in the pre-draft process, am not loving that. :(

I don't have a hard opinion on Haskins yet, I'll wait until the season unfolds.  We've seem some flashes at least just not enough flashes yet to assure me.   I simply need to see more accuracy from him. I still have the same impression I left camp with which is wow this dude can make some really pretty throws but man he misses a lot. 

Archived