Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 8/20/2019 at 6:23 PM, RandyHolt said:

I don't think even Dan would force Jay to start Haskins on day 1. Jay has already named McCoy his guy. Case is on the case now and Dan coming in at  the 11th hour would be obvious. Jay wouldn't be able to hide it at the podium. Maybe Dan knows this :ols:

I could see him (and other owners) pushing to see him when the season is off the rails, say week 6 to 8.   He wouldn't be alone he could join my protest.

DH was not a finished product by even my stretch of the imagination and dare I think, even Dan has a basic grasp of that as well, after witnessing 2 decades of futility. Its very early still August - we don't even have an OL assembled, our ace LT has decided not to report, our starting QB is already injured, and starting Haskins is low down on the immediate list of fires that need to be put out. 

giphy.gif

The crazy part, if looking at it objectively, it’s almost certain Dan knows more about the NFL and football than 99% of fans. 

22 minutes ago, wit33 said:

The crazy part, if looking at it objectively, it’s almost certain Dan knows more about the NFL and football than 99% of fans. 

99.9% of fans believe that every problem, on every offense, would be solved if their teams qb got rid of the ball more quickly. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

His goal is to win the SB every single year yet he hasn't had a team win 11 games once in his entire 20 years. He's hired 2 multiple SB winning coaches who couldn't win anything during his ownership. Zorn over Williams. Spurrier over Schottenheimer.

Yep he sure knows football better than all of the other fans. 😅

I'm sure all of us "dumb fans" would have hired bigger morons that Vinny and Bruce to run the team into the ground for 2 entire decades. 🤣

Listening to Keim today

A.  No chance Haskins starts the season.  No one he's talked to thinks he's ready.  The starter hasn't be settled drilled is just about the off chance that Colt recovers.

B.  He does think Haskins plays at some point this season.

C.  There is concern that the veteran QBs haven't looked good.  So the pressure might mount during the season if Colt and or Case look as poorly during the season then they looked in camp.  So as for Haskins it might not be that easy to keep him on the bench if the other QBs struggle.

10 hours ago, wit33 said:

Based on what some have said, I doubt it.  I'd say it might be exactly the same as some fans because the picture painted about him is he can be like an emotional 13 year old when he gets his man crushes among other things. We likewise have our man crushes.   And that's with just the stuff that has come out -- I can imagine the stuff we don't know which beat guys (even the conservative John Keim) have alluded to which is a lot.    I'll give him that some have said he's learned to chill some.  So hopefully that's the case. 

Over the years, I find it amusing reading the stories about him being aglow about his man crush on Brady Quinn and it took the scouts a week to talk him out of it.  Or supposedly the scouts pushed Jordy Nelson but he overruled them because of how much he was taken by Malcom Kelly when he personally scouted him.    Gibbs telling the story (and he did it was affection and humor) about Dan calling him about let's go get Lance Briggs.  Him and Vinny crushing on Chad Johnson but luckily getting turned down from Cincy -- they supposedly offered two #1's.  The Shanny story about how he walked into his office and told him he wanted Randy Moss (at the end of Moss' career when he was losing it).  Shanny said he told him no and if so I guess to Dan's credit he backed off.   Him falling for Jeff George and foisting him and Marty over Brad Johnson.   On and on. 

If Dan was just some random extremeskins poster on the draft or FA thread, he'd be goofed on a lot considering the number of his colossal misses and I'd bet we'd know about more of these misses if he went on the record about all of them.   I think plenty of us could keep pace with Dan.  😀   We all get some wrong but Dan seems to take that to another level.  Hopefully he's learned though.  At least he's stopped giving away draft picks like candy. And I'll give him that's a big improvement.   I can even deal with him missing on players, everyone does, but his philosophy of running a team IMO is much to do why this team hasn't won.  Some say he's turned a corner.  Some say not.  I personally buy he's changed some but I doubt he's changed enough.  Will see.  hope am wrong. 

11 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

His goal is to win the SB every single year yet he hasn't had a team win 11 games once in his entire 20 years. He's hired 2 multiple SB winning coaches who couldn't win anything during his ownership. Zorn over Williams. Spurrier over Schottenheimer.

Yep he sure knows football better than all of the other fans. 😅

I'm sure all of us "dumb fans" would have hired bigger morons that Vinny and Bruce to run the team into the ground for 2 entire decades. 🤣

As you sit here today, I’m 99% sure the organization would be no better with you in charge and Dan is more equipped to do so.

I really don’t have any motivation to defend Dan, but was more saying from a player development, X’s and O’s, and over FO duties standpoint, he’s been exposed to 20 years of football from football people. Just funny when you think about it and all the criticism from fans. Totally within the right of the fan and should take place. 

Lol... I’m being half serious, let’s not get too serious about this. I very much dislike the overall Redskin culture under his tenure. 

Okay, for some fun, I’ll take a stab at defending moves you mentioned: 

—Spurrier was a great hire, if looking at objectively and not in hindsight. He literally was considered one of the best coaches college or NFL for years previous to being hired. 

—Uhh... Has Greg been a head coach since? Somethings up with dude. Who doesn’t like Greg, but there’s a reason he’s not been given a shot, IMP. 

—Hip Hip Hooray. *Dropping of the mike*

Why you daft DH. This is beyond absurd for any QB, much less a rookie... this is only possible if you are obsessed with being the best at what you do... unbelievable.

Guess where this 3rd & 4 pass is going without seeing the QB who is already making the throw ... 🤔

7EF0977F-94B5-4CC4-84D1-513B5D17C992.jpeg

🤔

🤨

🇮🇸

The guy isn’t close to being open ... but DH knows he’s about to be. I can’t imagine Haskins has had a million reps with Matt Flanagan, but if you didn’t know who they were, you’d think they’d run this play for 15 years. 

948D50F2-C809-4AD7-B691-31FFE4F28CCC.jpeg

B98D4597-712D-47AD-AF6F-58CDEDA2CF65.jpeg

2 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

He looked more settled, more sure, more poised. He's still rushing a few throws but overall he's progressing nicely. It's exciting to think of him with the 1's making plays for him.

There are, and there always will be, things to clean up ... but the pass above displays infinitely more about what transpires off the field than anything we’ll ever understand from descriptions of work ethic we’ve heard about a million different players over the years. That pass is impossible to make unless you are Peyton/Brady level obsessed...and gifted enough mentally to put it on the TE v an opponent you’ve never seen. 

Here he misses a td because his plant foot is too wide, he occasionally does that throwing to the left ... he will fix it, but the reads are perfect. 

Bum QBs are lighting up the preseason all over the place, it’s the things that display something more than the stats that make me believe DH has more than I thought 4 months ago ... heck, more than I thought he had 4 hours ago. He just continues to impress. 

EDC8E4BF-882A-4036-A57C-965167BF9C6E.png

C89E8998-C186-4510-B65E-1D22B152652B.png

Maybe I'm watching a different game, but outside of his arm strength and touch on the ball, he looks extremely raw to me.  Keenum did not impress me at all last night.  I don't see the harm in starting Haskins week 1 as opposed to week 4 or 5 when Keenum has already thrown double digit interceptions.  The line isn't changing come week 4 or 5.  

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C.  There is concern that the veteran QBs haven't looked good.  So the pressure might mount during the season if Colt and or Case look as poorly during the season then they looked in camp.  So as for Haskins it might not be that easy to keep him on the bench if the other QBs struggle.

This is one of my main reasons I want Haskins to start anyway. 

This isnt a situation where the guys ahead of him i feel can get the job done and can cost us the season.  If we step and look at the likely season outcome with either Case or Haskins starting the whole year, they might both miss the playoffs for different reasons. 

So why not go all in to develop Haskins instead of creating more pressure and drama then there needs to be?  Treat the season as an attempt to get the team to rally around building him up, veterans might not like it, but they will hate it less then an uninspiring failing Case.  Its inky going to take a couple blowouts, I dont want to throw Haskins into an 0-5 situation and ask him to fix it versus starting the season with focus on developing.

It doesn't really make sense that Haskins got zero reps with the starters. The only reason I can imagine for it is that Jay is scared of a qb controversy and wants his Mark Brunnell, Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, umm... graybeard safety net.

Still, give the first rounder some reps. See if he can fly or at least let him learn what he needs to learn.

I call bunk that a player cannot get benched. Guys get benched in all sports. If the reason Haskins would be benched were valid, why would it ruin him. It would help him learn what he needs to work on at the same time being thankful to have had the chance.  All the coach needs to do is communicate in advance,  if you fail or are under extreme duress, I am pulling you back, ok?

Sports athletes that cannot handle the mental aspect of being second fiddle can go see a sports psychologist.  Braden Holtby was benched to start the playoffs and then led us to a stanley cup.  He had plenty of chances to win a cup, with no competition.

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

This is one of my main reasons I want Haskins to start anyway. 

This isnt a situation where the guys ahead of him i feel can get the job done and can cost us the season.  If we step and look at the likely season outcome with either Case or Haskins starting the whole year, they might both miss the playoffs for different reasons. 

So why not go all in to develop Haskins instead of creating more pressure and drama then there needs to be?  Treat the season as an attempt to get the team to rally around building him up, veterans might not like it, but they will hate it less then an uninspiring failing Case.  Its inky going to take a couple blowouts, I dont want to throw Haskins into an 0-5 situation and ask him to fix it versus starting the season with focus on developing.

I am not as pessimistic as the media is (especially the national version of it) as to the season where many seem to think this is one of the worst teams in the NFL.  I am not on the Bruce side of the pendulum either about them "being close".   I think their defense and running game is good enough to keep them in that 8-8 range.  But I still don't think they are going anywhere this season whether with Haskins or Keenum.  And I get you aren't arguing that but doubling down that for that reason make it all about Haskins.  I still think you have to play out some of the string though for veterans on the team to see you are trying to go for it.  And I don't think it hurts but only helps Haskins to sit for some of the season.

Why not give Haskins the benefit of watching Keenum prepare week in and week out for lets say 6 weeks or so?   As for veterans, I've not heard anyone clamor for Haskins to start.  We've heard Peterson push Colt.  And if I recall another player pushed Keenum early in camp?  Maybe it was V. Davis but I am struggling to recall.   I don't see veterans preferring to work with a rookie.  I recall Santana once talk about this from a receiver point of view which is that he much preferred playing with veterans than younger guys who were finding their way because he can rely on the veterans to at least run the play the way it was designed whereas with rookies they might get it wrong.  

I do agree with your point about developing Haskins is priority #1.  I also agree with play him this year.  But don't see any downside  and only upside to sit for a third of the season or so.   I'd gather Jay would know when Haskins is ready.   Heck the people close to Haskins (including Shawn Springs) seem to be screaming for him not to start right away.  Ditto the dude with the biggest man crush on Haskins, Louis Reddick. 

damn NFL Live forced me to watch the Ravens game and man, Trace McSorley can ball.... I like Haskins, but it's so fun to watch the electricity of guys like McSorley. Daniel Jones had another great night though receivers bailed him more often than not. He's definitely in the mold of Eli with more mobility. 

I'm torn on starting Haskins. Patrick Ramsey had all the talent in the world but couldn't stop getting sacked behind our crap Oline. We have a crap Oline now as well. It's a total confidence killer. I remember Ramsey releasing the ball so early because he assumed pressure was on his back. 

28 minutes ago, Burgold said:

It doesn't really make sense that Haskins got zero reps with the starters. The only reason I can imagine for it is that Jay is scared of a qb controversy and wants his Mark Brunnell, Kirk Cousins, Alex Smith, umm... graybeard safety net.

Still, give the first rounder some reps. See if he can fly or at least let him learn what he needs to learn.

I wouldn't say this is just a Jay opinion or thing.  Multiple beat guys have said no one in that building thinks Haskins is ready to start the season.   Listening to Haskins, I got doubts that even he wants to start the season as a starter.  He's alluded multiple times that he's still learning the verbiage and everything will flow easier for him once he can do it all automatically.  He also said something to the effect that when he plays he wants to play well from the outset.  He's not flat out said he doesn't want to start but he's heavily hinted that he's not at all averse to waiting until he feels a stronger mastery of the offense.

Not giving him any reps with the 1's pretty much tells you he was never looked at as a legitimate candidate to start the season.

No biggie, we'll see how it goes.  I'll be optimistic about the future of this franchise because of Haskins and the swarm of young talent we are starting to accumulate.

Archived