Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

If Callahan thinks we can grind it out on the ground good luck with that, that's ball possession football which cant be sustained when you constantly shoot yourself in the foot with penalties.

And then there's the fact we just don't open up running lanes, that's probably going to be an issue as well.:kickcan:

12 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Only thing I want to know right now as well

Interview with Chad Dukes (Hoffman) Said no changes are going to be made at this time to the rest of the coaching staff.

Phew!  With Manusky in charge of the defense and Callahan trying to implement a bigger running game Id say Dolphins (and their tanking plan) are in trouble.

12 minutes ago, mudpig said:

That is concerning for Haskins.  The league is geared heavily toward offense and being far easier for a QB and he may be adjusting poorly.  Most all of young guys start from day 1 and are fine but it is telling that he has to sit for more than likely most all of the season.  Then if he is a bust we won't know until next year it seems.  I know some differ on this but to me if the guy plays he shouldn't be mentally so fragile where his confidence breaks if he throws a few picks.  Obviously that can happen to some guys so I can get the sitting thing as well.  You can also build confidence with a simple offense as well.  

Maybe but maybe not.  The decision to go with either McCoy or Keenum must have Snyder's blessing, perhaps they just want to separate the decision to fire Gruden and the decision to start Haskins by a week or two.  We may see Haskins start after a decent interval so it doesn't look like Jay got fired because he didn't want to start Haskins if Haskins fails to deliver.  Said another way if they wait a week or two before they play Haskins Gruden's firing isn't associated with Haskins.

8 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

If Callahan thinks we can grind it out on the ground good luck with that, that's ball possession football which cant be sustained when you constantly shoot yourself in the foot with penalties.

And then there's the fact we just don't open up running lanes, that's probably going to be an issue as well.:kickcan:

Yup...

10 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

Yeah, color me skeptical. Our run game has been awful. AP is averaging what, 2.8 YPC? We can't open running lanes because our best players are injured or refusing to show up and our depth is garbage. On top of that, every other run play is called back by penalty. I don't think running the ball 30 times a game is going to be feasible when our defense is trash and we fall behind by 3 scores every week.

Callahan is the architect of our dog **** running attack, so he'll have to excuse me if I don't put any faith in that aspect of our offense.

8 minutes ago, Veryoldschool said:

Maybe but maybe not.  The decision to go with either McCoy or Keenum must have Snyder's blessing, perhaps they just want to separate the decision to fire Gruden and the decision to start Haskins by a week or two.  We may see Haskins start after a decent interval so it doesn't look like Jay got fired because he didn't want to start Haskins if Haskins fails to deliver.  Said another way if they wait a week or two before they play Haskins Gruden's firing isn't associated with Haskins.

That is a good point.  Never thought of that.  

1 minute ago, ExoDus84 said:

Yeah, color me skeptical. Our run game has been awful. AP is averaging what, 2.8 YPC? We can't open running lanes because our best players are injured or refusing to show up and our depth is garbage. On top of that, every other run play is called back by penalty. I don't think running the ball 30 times a game is going to be feasible when our defense is trash and we fall behind by 3 scores every week.

Callahan is the architect of our dog **** running attack, so he'll have to excuse me if I don't put any faith in that aspect of our offense.

I agree.  Poor Trey Weys leg is going get sore.

Just now, HigSkin said:

His PC was interesting if anybody got to hear it but get prepared for a lot more of a running team, successfully or not.  KOC takes over play calling.  Said he has a ton of trust in KOC.

Old school guy for sure.

Yeah, he made a point of saying that we need to get the run game going and be more run orientated. He stated that it will feature AP and CT and we need to run it 25-30 times a game (kind of implying that Jay got away from the run game too early).

I like that O'Connell is getting a chance at play calling.

5 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I don’t see the problem being more run oriented. We avg. 3.2 yards per carry. You get 4 downs. Do the math. That’s over 12 yards per every 4 downs. Do that all the way down the field, you have both ball control and a winning record. Unstoppable.

I hope you're being sarcastic

I'm doubtful about Callahan's influence on the playcalling, but I won't despair just yet. Give him a handful of games and see what he whips up. If the running game grinds to a halt and takes the offense with it, does Callahan keep spinning the tires like Gruden did, or does he try something new? Same for defense, I'd much rather Manusky is gone now, but if Callahan wants to give him a kick in the butt, go for it. Just don't sit on your hands if it still doesn't work.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

So case/colt weeks 6-9? 

Oops, my mistake on the bye week.

I'd prefer to see Haskins in sooner rather than later, unless there's reasonable concern for his safety (can't call protections etc.)

For me it'd depend on how much overall chaos is going on in Ashburn this week.

On the other hand, if the QB is going to be handing off for 30 times a game, maybe it doesn't matter. Offense won't be spending much time on the field anyway. 😃

I have this terrible sinking feeling that Callahan is going to be the permanent HC.  It would be so typical of this FO to do that.  Maybe a new DC, and some minor tweaks but a lot of the same faces will be back.  Instead of doing the right thing and cleaning house from Bruce all the way down to the towel boy, I can see the same old story and we'll be right back here in a few years.

It's already clear there will be a confusion of roles on the fan side, which will prevent us from really knowing if KOC is interesting as a playcaller or not.

You cannot say that O'Connell is a bright young mind and will call the plays and ALSO put out a mandate that we will run the ball 20-30 times a game, especially on 1st and 2nd down (ugh). Those are not compatible things. 

So O'Connell will essentially call the type of play Callahan tells him to, and we won't really know what his style is at all. 

Archived