Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Redskins Name Bill Callahan Head Coach

Boss_Hogg

42 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Isnt your avatar that little picture next to your name?..mine is just a Redskins logo..yours has a player with a Gatorade cooler ove his head...I couldn't figure out how to change it..it asked if I wanted to upload a photo or what have ya....I'm not tech savvy lol

You need to have a picture that you want to use. Mine was one that I downloaded and edited a bit, but in the end, you'd need to get a picture that you want to use and upload it from that window.

11 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This is the coach who changed nothing after Gruden was traded. He sure made it easy for the Bucs to crush his Raiders.

Too high expectations of Bill.

He did still take that team to the SB and got 4000 yards from Gannon. I'm not saying thats an impeccible resume, but just like With Case vs Colt arguments. We have one who has done something in this league and one who hasn't. Even if its a situation where EVERYTHING went right for Calla, he still was able to take them there. 

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

He did still take that team to the SB and got 4000 yards from Gannon. I'm not saying thats an impeccible resume, but just like With Case vs Colt arguments. We have one who has done something in this league and one who hasn't. Even if its a situation where EVERYTHING went right for Calla, he still was able to take them there. 

I get what you are saying but if we are to believe what all have said Callaghan has been running the run game all this time. Which BTW - doesn't that kind neuter the OC or/and the HC? 

So if he has been running the run game, what will be different? Do we really believe that Bill wanted to do something in the run game that last 6 yrs and Jay said, no, do it this way when Bill was supposed to own the running game? Did Bill hold back? I guess we will see tomorrow. 

Lot's of questions going into tomorrow. The biggest for the rest of the season is was Jay the real problem and was holding the team back at least to some extent or was he the glue that held a fractious team together to the small extent it was held together. 

I can't stand Dan S but there is one narrative we probably have to put to bed - If Dan were still meddling at a high level and was really chomping at the bit for Haskins to start, there is no way Case Keenum starts against Miami. If Dan was being adamant then whoever the interim coach is would have been told - the one decision that's been made for you is Haskins start. You can work from there. Or Haskins is so bad that even with that directive they convinced Dan to wait. I do not believe the later. I believe Haskins may be behind and struggled some but there is just too much talent to believe he just plain bad. I was a little disappointed to hear he has some diva in him and is maybe not studying as hard as at least I thought he would based on what he did in college. In fairness it may be he felt a bit spurned by Jay and with the right coach he will get reinvigorated. 

I don't think they could have hired McVay as some suggest.  But some have suggested that it bothers Dan -- don't know if that's a guess or that's what they heard.  But if it does I wonder if Dan would hire a veteran coach in 2020 that ultimately would lead to O'Connell's departure?  I am not swearing by O'Connell myself.  I got no idea personally.  But he certainly has some hype.  

https://cbssportsradio.radio.com/articles/mark-schlereth-blasts-redskins-owner-dan-snyder

“It’s a mess, and their owner’s a mess,” Schlereth said on Taz & The Moose, referring to Dan Snyder. “This is crazy. Dan Snyder, in my opinion, has circumvented and emasculated every coach he’s ever hired. I don’t know why we expect someone to be successful in Washington as long as that guy continues to own the team.”

The Redskins will likely miss the postseason for the 16th time in 20 years. They have not won a playoff game since January 2006.

“Look at the staff that Mike Shanahan put together,” Schlereth said. “He had Kyle Shanahan, he had Sean McVay, he had Matt LaFleur, and a myriad of different other guys who are offensive coordinators and on a fast track to be head coaches. You can’t figure out your coaching staff is good? You can’t figure out the next young head coach that’s going to be dynamic?”

Schlereth could. Snyder couldn’t. 

“The first time I met Sean McVay, he was 30 years old, I’m doing Rams games, and I walked out of that meeting going, ‘I’ve accomplished nothing in my life. That dude is the most dynamic dude I’ve ever met in my entire life,’” Schlereth recalled. “This is something I always tell my kids; there’s two types of people in the world: people who energize the room when they walk into it, and people who energize the room when they walk out of it. That dude walks into a room and he energizes that room. You are ready to run. You are ready to go play. He is a dynamic young coach, you had him in your organization, you had him on your staff, and you don’t even recognize it because you’re too busy doing whatever it is you do – which, I have no idea what you do.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/the-sean-mc-vay-vacuum-haunts-the-washington-redskins-now-more-than-ever-044419676.html

One NFL executive who has known Allen and Snyder for decades summed up the Redskins in cutting fashion Monday, stating: “As an owner, you have to know what you have. Dan never should have let McVay get out of the building and he probably never should have let Bruce stay.”

You want to understand what the hell is wrong in Washington? That’s the entire conversation in a nutshell under Snyder. The Sean McVay vacuum. A departure that saw Snyder place a premium on keeping Allen in the fold for a stadium project that may never happen, while failing to see that McVay was a head coach who could win enough to actually get a stadium built.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/23/nfl-teams-hunt-next-sean-mcvay-redskins-may-have-one-kevin-oconnell/

As NFL teams hunt for the next Sean McVay, the Redskins may have one in Kevin O’Connell

But at 34, O’Connell is on a career path that is eerily similar to that of a certain NFC champion coach in Los Angeles who has become the model for what nearly every NFL owner seems to suddenly crave: a fast-rising offensive mind in his early 30s so preternaturally clever that he will overwhelm others with a blend of genius and charm. And because O’Connell has quickly built a reputation for being a bright, innovative coach, climbing quickly to his coordinator role with the Redskins much the way McVay did in Washington a few years before, an obvious correlation is being made.

“He’s the next Sean McVay,” tweeted Carolina Panthers wide receiver Torrey Smith, whom O’Connell once coached in San Francisco.

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I can't stand Dan S but there is one narrative we probably have to put to bed - If Dan were still meddling at a high level and was really chomping at the bit for Haskins to start, there is no way Case Keenum starts against Miami. If Dan was being adamant then whoever the interim coach is would have been told - the one decision that's been made for you is Haskins start. You can work from there. Or Haskins is so bad that even with that directive they convinced Dan to wait. I do not believe the later. I believe Haskins may be behind and struggled some but there is just too much talent to believe he just plain bad. I was a little disappointed to hear he has some diva in him and is maybe not studying as hard as at least I thought he would based on what he did in college. In fairness it may be he felt a bit spurned by Jay and with the right coach he will get reinvigorated. 

Agree to an extent.  The narrative of the beat guys has consistently been Dan wanted Haskins in the draft and yes he pushed it but won't dictate his playing time.  Just about all of them have said Dan is patient with Haskins' development.  Keim doubled down on that yesterday.  Just about 100% of the beat-national reporters including Keim have said Dan wanted Haskins and multiple scouts (Kyle, too) in the FO disagreed.  But Dan is playing ball 100% with Haskins' playing time.  You got some national reporters flying crap against the wall that Dan in theory might want to interfere but those that cover the team have said Dan indeed interfered with the pick but isn't interfering with playing time.

Heck Cerrato in a recent interview admitted that Dan likes to infuse himself in the draft but is typically a good soldier as for dictating playing time and when players play.  He cited Sean Taylor as an example where Dan was anxious to see him but he deferred to Gregg as to when he started.

Not that I expect a big difference, but regarding Bill and the run game... I wonder how much Gruden wanted to mesh his pass and run game (a lot is my impression) and if that lead to the run game being somewhat... handcuffed.  Or maybe overly complicated?  I don’t know, but I could see some basic changes leading to a bit more productivity.  One obvious change is Bill not including Thompson in the run game as much as Gruden - ie. not caring so much about dynamism from the rb position.  

3 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Not that I expect a big difference, but regarding Bill and the run game... I wonder how much Gruden wanted to mesh his pass and run game (a lot is my impression) and if that lead to the run game being somewhat... handcuffed.  Or maybe overly complicated?  I don’t know, but I could see some basic changes leading to a bit more productivity.  One obvious change is Bill not including Thompson in the run game as much as Gruden - ie. not caring so much about dynamism from the rb position.  

The rumblings were that Jay continued to shove the WCO at games when it wasn't working and refused to move off it.  Hence the never making game adjustments!

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

Cooley among others talked about it.  The gist of it as I understood.

A.  The run game was pretty much all Callahan.  His scheme.  He drew up the plays.

B.  There was a mismatch between the run game and the pass game at times especially with play action

It sounded like Jay didn't like the odd arrangement.  And there was some tension last year in particular with him and Callahan.

I've seen both Callahan and Jay milling about the team hotel the few times when I stayed at the same place and have seen them interact with some here and there in the lobby ironically more so Callahan than Jay.  I overheard Callahan among other things talk to Catalina's mom in the lobby.

Jay from the sample I've seen comes off boisterous, outgoing.  Callahan is business like, kind of stiff in the conversations I've witnessed.  Granted small sample.  I've seen Callahan interact with people once waiting for coffee at Starbucks.  He seems very calm in his demeanor.  I recall reading years ago that he was a yoga, guy.  He kind of gives me the vibe about being a yoga type dude demeanor wise.  I get he's hard nosed in practice but off the field comes off chill and stiff.  A nice guy but without much charisma...that's my best description from my small sample.    I could be wrong but that's my small take of his personality.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Cooley among others talked about it.  The gist of it as I understood.

A.  The run game was pretty much all Callahan.  His scheme.  He drew up the plays.

B.  There was a mismatch between the run game and the pass game at times especially with play action

It sounded like Jay didn't like the odd arrangement.  And there was some tension last year in particular.

It should piss him off and it's the kind of organizational structure that has been killing this team from day one of Dan buying the team. People can say what they want about Jay - but his offense gets people open. But his offense is not just the passing game. He should not have someone else dictate the run plays and how they are executed. And BTW Callahan's run game has been **** since he got here. 

I know many get upset about all the 1st dn runs - but if they were picking up 4 to 6 yds no one would care. Now Callahan says he will focus on the run - first where was this focus before if that's what he owned? And next, we already run 65% + on first down, will he increase that? The more I hear it sounds like Callahan was undermining Jay. If so, then **** him - even more than now. Not been a big Callahan fan the last few years. Supposed to be this zen master at Oline and he has not done ****. And yes I have been saying this for more than two years now. Just being more aggressive since he is the HC now and it looks like he threw Jay under a bus to get the HC job himself. 

We should beat Miami today as they are probably the only team in the NFL that has less talent than we do. So everything will be working and the Jay haters will be all euphoric. That's fine. But we can;t play Miami every week. 

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

It should piss him off and it's the kind of organizational structure that has been killing this team from day one of Dan buying the team. People can say what they want about Jay - but his offense gets people open. But his offense is not just the passing game. He should not have someone else dictate the run plays and how they are executed. And BTW Callahan's run game has been **** since he got here. 

Mike Lombardi has his faults but he also makes good points in the mix among them show me a team that's run well by committee?  The FO seems to be run with everyone having their moments here and there to get what they want but without an overarching vision.    Looks like coaching to some degree ditto.  It's not how to run a team IMO. 

It doesn't matter what we think of the decision makers.  It's about having a normal structure.   If people in the FO don't trust name that person in the FO or HC to make calls then just fire them and hire someone you do trust.  If your head coach wants the O line coach out and doesn't like the arrangement with them orchestrating the run plays -- then you defer to the head coach.  I'd think the same even if I thought Bill Callahan is the 2nd coming while Jay is the biggest moron HC in NFL history.   The principals doesn't matter IMO.   You need to run a team in a normal way.     

Doc Walker who actually is a homer relatively speaking talks about this stuff in a humorous way on air saying something to the degree about they've made it impossible to blame anyone there because whenever they talk about decisions made they refer to the "committee".  So everybody who wants to be untouchable as to mistakes made can stay untouchable.

If you noticed when Bruce was cornered in the press conference about why so little success in his 10 years -- he deflected off of himself by talking about Doug and Kyle -- suggesting either blame them or he knew that the press likes those people so they'd back off if he put them in the line of fire.  But that's how things seem to roll there. 

But yeah the FO is warped enough. The fact that some of that spills in coaching shows how screwed up Dan's organization is.  As Sheehan likes to joke, Wharton should do a study some time on Dan and how you can break a brand after 20 years through gross mismanagement. 

Racing to today, I do think its better to have ALL Callahan than part Callahan like we got before.  But I'd feel that way about any coach ditto Jay when he was here.  I want the unadulterated best version of whomever is running the team -- not a neutered version of it. 

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

ONE day, these dudes will be positive. (Which is mad in itself considering what they do that they continue to be negative through this past week of at least some semblance of change in the right direction.). 

Maybe. I'm not holding out much hope for them. 

Hail. 

Or maybe you are just on an island in regard to Bill Callahan being change in the right direction?

Perhaps you are alone in that no music and gassers equates to success?

Maybe.

10 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

ONE day, these dudes will be positive. (Which is mad in itself considering what they do that they continue to be negative through this past week of at least some semblance of change in the right direction.). 

Maybe. I'm not holding out much hope for them. 

Hail. 

You definitely been the reverse of a homer (and I don't blame you for it) and I know you are no fan of Dan and Bruce.  And you've made some good posts on that front which I agree with.   

So i am gathering the change on that front is you think Callahan is that good, that he can overcome Dan-Bruce?  Will see.    I don't really have a strong opinion on it one way or another about Callahan.  😀

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Or maybe you are just on an island in regard to Bill Callahan being change in the right direction?

Perhaps you are alone in that no music and gassers equates to success?

Maybe.

Before a games even been played?

What a stellar site they are. *Eye roll.  

It's beyond ridiculous for them to run with negatives considering what they are. Or at least 'should' be. 

A very strange tact for a fan site/ blog, however, you want to term it, to take. 

Hail. 

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

You definitely been the reverse of a homer (and I don't blame you for it) and I know you are no fan of Dan and Bruce.  And you've made some good posts on that front which I agree with.   

So i am gathering the change on that front is you think Callahan is that good, that he can overcome Dan-Bruce?  Will see.    I don't really have a strong opinion on it one way or another about Callahan.  😀

At this moment in time I couldn't give a flying F about those two cretins TBH mate. 

Nor am I that wrapped up in W's and L's. (The absolute pathetic crap that will emanate around here if we beat the Dolphins, then lose the following week as to 'how poor Miami are/ told yer this was no different et al' is a major reason why I've stayed out of the Stadium for so long. Folks ridiculous need to be proved right to faceless posters on an Internet message board.) 

What concerns me, whether Callahan is the HC next year or not, is him improving the football culture around here and putting out a disciplined, conditioned group that will at the very least give everything and play good, fundamental football that will, the more these practices are repeated day in, day out, ultimately lead to them executing better and being seriously competitive. And who'll be held accountable by him if they don't meet those basic standards every day. 

Something we've not had for a LONG time under his predecessor. 

Everything evolves from there and his veteran leadership, from everything he's done to press this week which is all we can go on, is pointing in the right direction to putting those vital building blocks in place as a real strong foundation for this young team to grow from, 

THAT'S what's really exciting me. 

Hail. 

26 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Before a games even been played?

What a stellar site they are. *Eye roll.  

It's beyond ridiculous for them to run with negatives considering what they are. Or at least 'should' be. 

A very strange tact for a fan site/ blog, however, you want to term it, to take. 

Hail. 

I was not aware that fan sites had a duty to spread positivity.  Particularly after all this team has put fans through.  It requires quite a great imagination to pretend like all could be swell because Bill Callahan is in charge.  

On 10/7/2019 at 3:56 PM, Peregrine said:

Nothing is more Redskinsssssss than promoting possibly your worst position coach to run the team.  The Offensive line has unperformed for a long time, meanwhile Jim Tomsula SHOULD be the one who is head coach.

Definitely. Not because the D-Line is living up to its potential, but because he literally farts at press conferences and that would at least be good for a laugh.

13 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I was not aware that fan sites had a duty to spread positivity.  Particularly after all this team has put fans through.  It requires quite a great imagination to pretend like all could be swell because Bill Callahan is in charge.  

Being flip on that sire aside, it would take a great imagination, wouldn't it?

Who's doing that again? I'll have a word on their totally unrealistic initial expectations 6 days in. 

Hail. 

Archived