Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden fired per John Keim

UK_HOG

3 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

There is little doubt that Callahan will structure and call a gameplan that places more emphasis on the run game.

And that’s certainly the best short-term outcome from this.  Any kind of offensive identity will be welcome.

Except emphasis on the run game doesnt explain their inability to block it when they do call run plays.  He seems to think they'll magically hold blocks with more attempts.

I liked Jay.  Everyone liked Jay.  And that was one of Jay's problems, he was a likable, nice guy.  Not a disciplinarian.  Players liked him, they didn't fear him.  Chris Thompson was partially crying last night, IMO, cause life will probably get uncomfortable and harder for him and his teammates.  JP Finlay laid it out earlier on 980.  No music during practice, no ****ing around on snapchat during practice...under Callahan, at least, it's going to get harder.

Finlay went on to say that it was the right move, but it doesn't really fix anything.  I agree with that.  Bruce has gotta go and nothing really matters until he's gone.  And Snyder sells, hopefully.

Everything else is shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic.  

8 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

There is little doubt that Callahan will structure and call a gameplan that places more emphasis on the run game.

And that’s certainly the best short-term outcome from this.  Any kind of offensive identity will be welcome.

I agree it is the best short-term outcome, because it is the most efficient way to keep losing games, and I want 0-16 bad. 

1 minute ago, NoCalMike said:

I think more than a generic "run the ball more" solution, maybe recognize that AP is the best RB currently able to play, so perhaps cater the running game to his strengths. 

More Peterson and less CT. I like Chris and what he brings, but Peterson should have 20+ carries a game. 

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

We've heard this stuff for a few years now. Bruce needs to go and Dan has been an atrocious owner, now getting this team almost to sub-.500 winning percentage for its entire lifespan, but Gruden really was a lousy HC. Problem is, he same guy at the top will be picking the new one.

1 minute ago, ntotoro said:

We've heard this stuff for a few years now. Bruce needs to go and Dan has been an atrocious owner, now getting this team almost to sub-.500 winning percentage for its entire lifespan, but Gruden really was a lousy HC. Problem is, he same guy at the top will be picking the new one.

Dying to know who the players on snapchat at practice are.  I've got my suspicions but it'd be cool if anyone could name names.

3 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Grant Paulson is so smarmy. Dude blasting this firing as if Gruden was being blamed for everything like a scapegoat by everyone, ignoring the fact that he has been mediocre pretty much his entire time here and many have wanted him gone for awhile.  No one thinks his firing is going to turn the team around in 2019.  His false narratives are awful. 

Well he started the segment by saying the Skins have won only 38% of their games under Allen. He was more upset about that. To him Gruden was just the scapegoat. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Oh **** my life.  I just got an ESPN alert on my phone that Snyder's targets include Mike Tomlin, Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles, Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy.

There you have it, folks.  Wrap it all up.  The next Redskins coach is Todd Bowles.  

Former Skin with the seal of approval from Gibbs. He even has a Tampa pedigree now.

He's perfect for Snyder.

It's going to be weird when 90 year old Darrel Green's first coaching job is head coach of the Skins.

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Oh **** my life.  I just got an ESPN alert on my phone that Snyder's targets include Mike Tomlin, Buccaneers DC Todd Bowles, Chiefs OC Eric Bienemy.

There you have it, folks.  Wrap it all up.  The next Redskins coach is Todd Bowles.  

Bienemy is interesting. 

The others aren't. But I wouldn't trust any reports right now because 1. It's too early

2. We need to see if Allen is retained, which won't be something we can expect even if it does happen until week 14 at the earliest imo. Maybe the end of the regular season. Again, IF. A new GM totally changes the coaching search parameters obviously.

12 minutes ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Me personally, I wouldn't say good riddance because there is a big human impact of this, but do agree it needed to be done.

Eh, I dont know how big the human impact is. We're talking about somebody feeling sad.  Nobody died, Gruden has a bank account full of money, CT's not getting cut.  They'll all be fine.  

If anything, the impact is the rest of the low level staff that has a few months to figure out what to do.

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Dying to know who the players on snapchat at practice are.  I've got my suspicions but it'd be cool if anyone could name names.

Another reporter actually implied that that quote was about coaches, not players. 

Just now, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Former Skin with the seal of approval from Gibbs. He even has a Tampa pedigree now.

He's perfect for Snyder.

It's going to be weird when 90 year old Darrel Green's first coaching job is head coach of the Skins.

giphy.gif

I'm so close man, I'm just so close...

1 minute ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Me personally, I wouldn't say good riddance because there is a big human impact of this, but do agree it needed to be done.

Can't share the same sympathy sadly. 

The handsome financial rewards through his tenure here and the payoff at the end of it all negates any feelings I have for someone so completely incompetent losing their job. 

That's a start. But if Snyder doesn't completely restructure, it's only attending to part of the serious problem here. 

Hail. 

9 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Grant Paulson is so smarmy. Dude blasting this firing as if Gruden was being blamed for everything like a scapegoat by everyone, ignoring the fact that he has been mediocre pretty much his entire time here and many have wanted him gone for awhile.  No one thinks his firing is going to turn the team around in 2019.  His false narratives are awful. 

A lot of everyday fans were absolutely on the head coach is the issue train. A lot of the Redskins fanbase is still really stupid about why this team sucks, which is shocking.

6 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Agreed.  He should bring some fresh energy to the season too.  Everyone enters audition mode now.  And we should be able to simplify a lot of things.

This isn't necessarily going to be a popular take, but I don't want to lose Callahan.  I think he's one of our only strong position coaches.  Having this very substandard OL group treading water is another testament to his coaching.  These are castaways, back ups, bargain bin free agents, and late rounders.  They're almost all grading out as average.  This line should be a shambles without Trent and Scherff, but he's held them together with duct tape.

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Says a lot about the coaches, but also about the other players watching this go on.  Swearinger tried to tell folks about this kind of nonsense and he got silenced.

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I do agree with your point that a franchise has to cultivate and develop the QB.    And yeah at the time I thought the Redskins failed RG3.  But over time, I've come off of that point of view because he's done nothing since he left.  He was even out of the NFL for a season.  

RGIII never found another coach that would buy in on being a partner to him.  In some ways, he was damaged goods due to past injury and a toxic relationship with his former HC.  But the truth is it is very rare for a QB to get a second chance on finding that kind of position and relationship after they flunk out with the team that drafted them.  It almost doesn't even matter how talented you are.  New talent is constantly cycling into the league and the new coaches that need QBs are usually picking the fresh guys who they can mold from day one.

13 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

There is no one in sports media that is more in love with their own opinions, without anything to substantiate it, than Grant Pauslen.

Archived