Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pick 5 players to keep + Tress Way

I was walking out of the stadium today with @Destino when he brought up an interesting question.  Which 5 players on the current roster would you keep?  I said plus Tress Way because...well, Tress Way is awesome but I can't justify using one spot on a punter.  I asked Destino, "What, 5 players to build around?  What's the next step?"  He was just like, "Nope, just pick 5 you gotta keep."

The five we agreed on were:

Allen

Scherff

Ioannidis

Payne

McLaurin

Way

If you want to whine and complain about Haskins being left off, just save it.  This isn't a thread about the quarterback situation.

Earlier in the afternoon, we had been talking about this team and I made the comment that I don't think this team is particularly talented.  As a matter of fact, I don't think this team is very talented at all.  Yes, this team has some recognizable faces and names but I think we're confusing that with talent to build around.  I don't think any one of you would pick Kerrigan, Vernon Davis, Norman, Collins (yep, already expendable), Chris Thompson, Guice, Quinn, Richardson, Keenum, Peterson, Nicholson, Reed, Colt, Moses, Moreau or Dunbar.  And if you did, you'd probably be picking them for sentimental reasons.  Admittedly, I'd probably swap out Ioannidis for Haskins but Haskins didn't immediately come to mind as indispensable.

That's a lot of dead weight.  Maybe labeling all of those guys as "dead weight" is being too harsh, but they certainly aren't guys I'd miss.  And they're certainly not guys that should have job security...but some of them do because of their salaries, unfortunately.  

Unfortunately, I can name five Cowboys off the top of my head that I'd keep if I were playing this game with their roster.  Same with the Eagles.  And same with the Patriots, who we played today.  

When I make my drive on the way home and listen to the fans calling into the 980 postgame show, they all seem to say "...there's a lot of talent on this team," or "There's talent here to work with!"  

But is there really?  

• Like 6

Trent Williams

Alex Smith

Jordan Reed

Morgan Moses

josh Norman

but seriously.....how about amending this topic to the question of who would you give a chance to start right now permanently (not including the QB).  Mine would be Cass McInzy over either one of those OLBers.  I think he's better than both of them right now but he's too injury prone.

Edited by BoycottEuphemisticFans
  • Haha 9
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Noone.  I would trade everyone for draft picks.  Start over as basically an expansion team in 2020.  Build the new Skins with a new GM and Coach.  Let them bring in their players and not holdovers from the SnyderBruceSkins.

Edited by Rdskns2000
22 minutes ago, wtfskins said:

Preston Smith,  Kyle Fuller, Brashaud Breeland, DJ Swearinger, Trent Murphy, and Lorenzo Alexander.  That’s who I’d build around.  Oh ya I forgot we chose to let those guys walk.  

Yeah and Swearinger is currently looking for a team, because no one wants him. 

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Payne

Settle

Dunbar

*Allen

Foster

Foster can't stay on the field. 

Edited by desertbeagle85

Allen

Payne

Mclaurin 

Settle???

Honestly I can't come up with five. I'm leaving Haskins out simply because the sample size is too small. 

I think we have a number of players that with the right coaching could easily be on that list.

This organization lacks three things.....

1. A competent FO

2. Coaching 

3. Talent

Maybe with the right coaches this current roster could be 7-9 at best 8-8?? I also believe if you put Redskins jerseys on the Packers or Chiefs rosters and gave them our coaching staff they would do no better than .500 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Allen

Payne

Mclaurin 

Settle???

Honestly I can't come up with five. I'm leaving Haskins out simply because the sample size is too small. 

I think we have a number of players that with the right coaching could easily be on that list.

This organization lacks three things.....

1. A competent FO

2. Coaching 

3. Talent

Maybe with the right coaches this current roster could be 7-9 at best 8-8?? I also believe if you put Redskins jerseys on the Packers or Chiefs rosters and gave them our coaching staff they would do no better than .500 

The sample size being to small is why you can't legit cut it  down.  We have way to many fans who's opinion seems to be, "If I don't know you then you suck."

9 minutes ago, carex said:

The sample size being to small is why you can't legit cut it  down.  We have way to many fans who's opinion seems to be, "If I don't know you then you suck."

Why does it matter how many fans think that way? 

guys to keep/build around:

offense: mclaurin, scherff, rouiller, haskins, (guice maybe)

defense: payne, allen, ionidis, holcomb, dunbar, collins, mooreland, settle, nicholson, sweat

everything else up for grabs.  we're gonna have a ton of cap space next year and even more in 2021 when smith is off the books.  but it doesnt matter if allen is still running the show.

Edited by Garcon More Wine
1 hour ago, carex said:

this is why it's so hard to take the complaints about how bad we are seriously despite the record.  Five guys is easy

There should be a thread to pick the five players of each team and then compare those 5 to ours.

Our guys aren't even pro bowl worthy.

Maybe Sherff but he'll be gone next year more than likely that's probably why most didn't pick him.

You dont keep haskins just cuz of how/when he was drafted. If anything the pick is tainted because snyderallen made the pick not the personnel people.  

My list would be young proven players. 

Its gonna be more than 5 but i keep:

payne

allen

io

settle

Sims (steven)

mclaurin

Harmon

scherff

Nicholson

Thompson

even keeping 10 doesnt change the premise of the OP, this team is devoid of talent. Especially on the oline and secondary.  

If you factor in money, you’d have to keep Collins, but setting him aside...

McLaurin

Allen

Payne

Scherff and Ioannidis would round out the 5 for me given age, production and considering the trenches are so important, but I’m really torn on them going forward.  

I would absolutely want to keep some of the young, unproven guys though:

Settle

Sweat

Guice

Haskins

Harmon

Sims

Holcolmb 

Moreland

Love

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

There should be a thread to pick the five players of each team and then compare those 5 to ours.

Our guys aren't even pro bowl worthy.

Maybe Sherff but he'll be gone next year more than likely that's probably why most didn't pick him.

Aren't the weekly beat downs enough humiliation? Why rub it in our own faces? I think I am pretty sure our top 5 rank 32nd. Don't really need to go through the exercise to prove it. I mean, Ok maybe we are 29th or 28th? I am good not knowing.