Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Throwing in the towel

Burgold

At the end of the first half with thirty seconds left, Jay Gruden's team receives the ball, sizes up his opportunities, and decides to run out the clock. At the end of the second half with 2:00 plus to go, Jay Gruden decides to run the clock out.

Now, maybe your thinking the game was lost so cares? Me? I hate surrender. Being a quitter is about the worst thing you can be in sports. On top of which, if you were really going to throw in the towel just have the team kneel. Why risk an injury on a game you've given up on? 

I think the end of these two halves epitomizes Jay. When the going gets tough he folds. He doesn't even try. That's partly why his teams so rarely come back, why they have a glass jaw. Sure, failure to adjust is part of it. Talent is part of it. But Jay Gruden has a spine made of Jell-o. He lacks courage, daring, inventiveness, and the ability to go for it. Hell, even the choice to start Colt McCoy (which backfired as dramatically as possible) was the wimpy, safe choice.

Jay chose Colt not because he thought he gave the 'skins the best chance to win the game, but because he "knew the system" and was a security blanket. The Pats were actually ready to be beaten. They overlooked the 'skins and looked as flat and sloppy as I've seen them in the first half.

Jay couldn't capitalize. He didn't even really try.

He's always done that before the half and it's always driven ES insane, me included. He's a loser. Regardless of how badly he's been set up by the FO, the in-game decisions he make show that he's a loser. I get that we don't have a HOF QB, but to not even try...it shows his character and resolve to win as a football coach. It's non-existent and players feed (or starve) off of that.

I doubt Jay or Manusky gives 2 rats.

They know their time is coming; well, at least Jay does.

I think Manusky is too dumb to realize.  Which brings me to my scary thought that crossed my mind. I think its written on the wall that the Falcons' DC will be canned, and Bruce will more than likely go after him. I just hope Stumpy finally gets rid of everyone including Bruce before he has a chance to screw it up any more.

5 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Jay stands at the podium addressing the media as to the Dan and Bruce created debacle as they slink out of the stadium in order to send the message back that he's fired.

Nice Look and did any of you expect any other?

When cowardice starts at the top, it’s hard to preach courage down below.

I've stayed this for years. His team doesn't fight because they learn from Jay.

2 years ago against chargers is when it was most obvious.

Down 24-0 with over 2 mins left, we have a pick 6. And Jay kicks the extra point as opposed to go to 2.

Lots of teams score 2 TDs I'm final 2 mins.  He didn't even try.

I really feels like Gruden sees the writing on the wall and is not really interested in putting in any kind of work with the scheme or strategy to try and "right the ship" I think he is content with being fired and having the cover of "well, no one succeeds in Washington under Snyder" as his saving grace when he goes out to apply for O-coordinator jobs in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I really feels like Gruden sees the writing on the wall and is not really interested in putting in any kind of work with the scheme or strategy to try and "right the ship" I think he is content with being fired and having the cover of "well, no one succeeds in Washington under Snyder" as his saving grace when he goes out to apply for O-coordinator jobs in the offseason.

I think you're right. I don't think he's coaching to get fired, but I do get the sense that he's going through the motions although I did see some anger from him on the sideline today.

I really thought we would see Jay's best punch today because he wanted to prove himself right and everyone else (Bruce) wrong when it came to Colt.

I have decided to not watch any games until Jay is fired. Don't care who replaces him. I doubt  if he gets fired in season. I doubt if Bruce gets fired. So understand as fans we have simply talk with our feet. We need to stop buying tickets and all gear. Until Dan feels it in his bottom line, he won't change. The more we comment, the more Dan won't do anything different

Archived