Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

They’re doing it all wrong. But this is the best thing that could happen to the Redskins

Rskins91

Back before the season began, I predicted that the Skins would likely have another 7-9 type of season full of mediocrity. They’d tease us with competent play, mostly coming from the defense, with the offense holding us back from any form of competitiveness. The FO would fire Jay, get a new coach for Haskins, and trick themselves into thinking they’re a few players away from being playoff bound.

My, how wrong I was. This team is an absolute dumpster fire. And oddly enough, I’m happy for it. Not because I want them to lose, but because it is the only way for the FO and ownership to realize the truth: that we were never that close to begin with. That our talent, compared to most of the league, is bottom 10 and below. 

Yes, ownership is the problem. And if you want to ignore the rest of what I’ll say below based on that, I get it. Smart money says we’ll never succeed under Snyder. But the only way you get out from horrible management is raw talent. And for the first time in a long time, the Redskins look like they’ll be out of NFL purgatory and finally get some top level talent.

This team, at best, is a 4-12 unit. Definitely good enough for a top 5 pick. Realistically, 3-13 and below is on the table, with the Jets and Dolphins being two teams that I can see the Skins being slight favorites against. That’s exactly what this franchise has needed for years. A good dose of suck that nets a high pick for acquiring talent. If Haskins can show enough on tape that you think you can build around him, even better - now you can dangle that top pick to a QB needy team and pull off an RGIII/Wentz type of trade. And if the rookie is so bad you think we need to pull an Arizona & Kyler Murray, well this is as good a QB class as any to do it in. If the FO ever gets its head out of it’s ass, maybe it will even trade Trent for a 2nd rounder and see what else we can get for Kerrigan, etc. Clean house, tear it down, and start all over.

The only problem with all of this is that the Redskins didn’t intend to do any of this. They thought they were good enough to compete. That somehow a roster with Case Keenum at QB, down an elite LT, with ****ty defensive coaching, could be competitive. And to be fair, I didn’t see just how bad we are coming either. But because of that, I feel it makes it worse. It stokes more anger and hurt that our team is this bad. 

But even if unintentional, it’s for the best. We finally won’t say at the end of the year as we’re 7-9 “man, we really need a 2-14 type of season” cuz it is here. The medicine is bitter and sucks going down, but it’s the only thing that can fix this broken franchise. 

If we do end up with the top 1-2 picks.... and THE QB of the future is there AND the new coaching staff does not think Haskins is it then we just need to bite the bullet and move on!

My gut feeling is that this is the Redskins after all.. we will win enough games to ensure we miss out on any generational talent in the draft...

Case Keenum is two years removed from NFC title game(counting this year) and we weren't down an elite LT when we were planning for the season and that ****ty defensive coaching kept us in numerous games when we had competent QB play, that's why they thought all that

10 minutes ago, carex said:

Case Keenum is two years removed from NFC title game(counting this year) and we weren't down an elite LT when we were planning for the season and that ****ty defensive coaching kept us in numerous games when we had competent QB play, that's why they thought all that

You, not they.

360A39F2-1323-44A8-AE27-D41564F516D4.gif

3 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

If only they had taken the hit with Alex and cut him, traded Trent, Kerrigan etc. for future picks before their value was further depleted... Not signed Collins to a big $$ contract etc.  but yeah I get what you are saying.

If they had only done everything I said they should, things would be better. This is true. 

25 minutes ago, carex said:

No, they thought all of that because they were clueless.

We were 1-6 to end last year, including some of the worst games in Redskins history.  We were a 5-11 team that lucked into 7-9 as anyone could see.  We couldnt pass it, we couldnt run it except in a few games, and we couldnt play defense.  Theres not much left to do in the sport if you cant do those.  It seemed blindingly obvious starting the season that this was going to happen, albeit I thought we might end with 4-5 wins on the season and it looks like we wont even make that.

14 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

No, they thought all of that because they were clueless.

We were 1-6 to end last year, including some of the worst games in Redskins history.  We were a 5-11 team that lucked into 7-9 as anyone could see.  We couldnt pass it, we couldnt run it except in a few games, and we couldnt play defense.  Theres not much left to do in the sport if you cant do those.  It seemed blindingly obvious starting the season that this was going to happen, albeit I thought we might end with 4-5 wins on the season and it looks like we wont even make that.

the team that ended the season was not the team that was going to start this season.  29 people on their final roster did not make this year's team, not counting Trent and we've cut a 30th

30 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I wonder how many fans forgot that Allen traded next years 2nd rounder to move up and draft Montez Sweat this year 😂

Yeah, that trade will def need to be accounted for and recouped. Can’t get the positioning back but maybe can get a 2nd for Trent/Kerrigan or someone else for value. 

This is not the best thing that could happen for this team.  We dont have a second round pick and no promise anyone will help us trade down a pick meant for a QB we already have. 

Anyone suggesting we draft another QB needs to look at the cardinals and ask how thats working out for them.  

6 hours ago, carex said:

You don’t think Bruce Allen should know better than what he saw vs. what was reality?  When you get boat raced by good teams and eek out victories vs. bad teams with a sprinkle of good luck and simply not being worse than them on a given day, I expect the GM to be able to identify those things.  

You should expect more out of the executives than you do of yourself.  You get paid zilch and spend your money because you are a fan.  The executives are paid handsomely, specifically to build a winning football team.  They are supposed to know more than you, me, any one of us.  

7 hours ago, Idaho fan said:

If only they had taken the hit with Alex and cut him, traded Trent, Kerrigan etc. for future picks before their value was further depleted... Not signed Collins to a big $$ contract etc.  but yeah I get what you are saying.

They'd still find a way to F up the picks. 

It's how we roll. 

Hail. 

Archived