Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the worst Redskins team in the last 20 years?

To put it simply, yes.  It is a horrible team devoid of talent on both sides of the ball. 

I'd like to go back and see everyone's predictions on the team's record before the season.  I think I said 5-11.  I don't know what the hell I was thinking.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Like 2

Sorry to say yes. This franchise has been ok, with hanging on by their finger tips with 9/7 or 7/9 records the last few years. We as skin fans are basically witnessing the bottom falling out of this franchise.

I am sad for the younger Redskin fans if there is any left,to witness the demise of this franchise and not experience the past glory years of the Washington Redskins.

We as Redskin fans are and have witnessed a mockery and a Sham of a Franchise for many years.

The ineptness and dare to say at the very least the mismanagement of this franchise goes well beyond the coaches and players .

This debacle ways heavily on the shoulders of Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen. Dan if you are truly Redskin fan either Lead , Follow or get the Hell out of the Way. 

Bruce Allen, you are a disgrace and a joke.  Hail:247:

The highlight of this season was the 1st 2 quarters in Phily and it's all been downhill since.  It's amazing that they've regressed so much and so quickly.  That's not that easy to do but they've made it look effortless.  This team is probably worse than the winless Lions and Browns teams.

17 minutes ago, Redskin4ever said:

I don't think it's the worst team. I think these coaches are wasting the talent of a lot of guys. That doesn't mean I think a new coach would make this group of guys a super bowl team. But I do think the coaches have no clue how to get the most out of the players. 

I generally agree with this (though of course the ‘team’ is the aggregate of players, coaches, staff and management).  Personnel-wise, while there are plenty of holes (and injuries, inexperience, etc), I think there’s a decent amount of talent.  I suppose the coaches have had their moments, but mostly they seem to really be holding the players back - penalties, getting plays in late, communication issues, play calling and so on.  Makes it that much harder to really evaluate guys.  

Bah, I don’t even know what I’m trying to say anymore.  This team blows.  I’m purely watching now to see what new drama unfolds and in the hopes some young guys shine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, it is.

This 6 years under Jay Gruden have been the worst years in the last 50 years of the franchise.  Bruce and Jay have overseen the worst time in the Redskins franchise in the superbowl era, statistically.

At least we are winning off the field.

2 minutes ago, carex said:

0-16 Lions

After NE & Miami we may be in the conversation. I don’t believe anyone has ever lost to a team that’s trying to lose, we could be the first.

6 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I generally agree with this (though of course the ‘team’ is the aggregate of players, coaches, staff and management).  Personnel-wise, while there are plenty of holes (and injuries, inexperience, etc), I think there’s a decent amount of talent.  I suppose the coaches have had their moments, but mostly they seem to really be holding the players back - penalties, getting plays in late, communication issues, play calling and so on.  Makes it that much harder to really evaluate guys.  

Bah, I don’t even know what I’m trying to say anymore.  This team blows.  I’m purely watching now to see what new drama unfolds and in the hopes some young guys shine.

Great post.

Washington could compete for a SB title in 2-3 years if things were done properly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I think we mostly agree. I agree with you that the team is the players, coaches, management, etc. I just don't think these guys all the sudden forgot how to play football. That's true of the guys that were signed and drafted. They can all play football and can play well. I just don't think this group of coaches can get that from them. I think that does skew the view of this team and understand how good are they really. Right now, after 4 weeks, they really suck. I also think that with better coaching, these guys can be competitive. 

• Like 1

this is close to the worst - 2009 with zorn was so awful but at least that season saw the end of vinny and new hope with shanny coming to town.  i dont see anything promising on the horizon.  and our franchise QB looked horrific today (not his fault and not an indictment of his play, just the facts).

59 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Yes, it is.

This 6 years under Jay Gruden have been the worst years in the last 50 years of the franchise.  Bruce and Jay have overseen the worst time in the Redskins franchise in the superbowl era, statistically.

At least we are winning off the field.

i didnt think anyone could ever top vinny for ineptitude.

bruce has done it.  which is absolutely mind boggling to think that it could actually be worse than the vinny era.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

This is the lowest I've ever been as a fan and I'm 52....I will not watch next week, just made weekend plans so I don't have to watch.

I didn't watch this week. I was sick so I took a shot of night quill and went to bed. Woke up saw we got our ass beat. I mean I knew that was going to happen. Wasn't happy when I saw Haskins got in to throw 3 INTs. 

57 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Great post.

Washington could compete for a SB title in 2-3 years if things were done properly. 

Dan Snyder equals doing things wrong. It won't happen

Edited by desertbeagle85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Redskin4ever said:

I don't think it's the worst team. I think these coaches are wasting the talent of a lot of guys. That doesn't mean I think a new coach would make this group of guys a super bowl team. But I do think the coaches have no clue how to get the most out of the players. 

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Agreed.  We aren't the least talented team on the NFL, but we may be the worst team in the NFL.  Terrible playcalling, time management, lack of leadership, penalties, poor execution, pretty much anything and everything that can hold a team back or shoot yourself in the foot, and the Redskins are guilty of it.  From top to bottom, the culture is horrific.

• Like 2

Maybe Rich Gannon needs to have another talk with Snyder. He's the only one I know of who has told Snyder exactly what he needed to hear. From 2009:

Gannon, in an appearance on Sirius NFL Radio, said he told Snyder his dysfunctional team is as bad as the perpetually-losing Raiders.

"They have not gotten enough of a return on their investment. I really question their philosophy on how you build your team. They spent a lot of money on high-priced veteran free agents. They've made some mistakes, some costly mistakes, and they haven't done a good enough job with the draft and player development. That's really where you build your football team. So this is a team that's really in shambles right now. I told the owner -- this is amazing, I'm sitting there talking to Dan Snyder -- I said, 'You need to have leadership, structure and discipline at EVERY level of your organization. And I think that clearly right now they have some issues."

Gannon is the second person to speak of having an audience with Snyder on Sunday. ESPN's Tony Kornheiser said he gave advice to the Redskins owner and sat in the owner's box as fans chanted "sell the team" during the game.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This team has a lot of talent. In the Snyder era, it's arguably the youngest and most talented group of players we've had. Unfortunately, the coaches do not know how to maximize the talent at their disposal, so the results on the field are as bad as what we've witnessed, collectively over the span of Snyder's tenure as owner.

A different HC can win with these players. It can't be a weakling who's just grateful to the team president for giving him an opportunity (if that team president is still with the team). Obviously, I'd prefer that someone else make the HC hire.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, carex said:

I'm sick of people saying that.  It's a perfectly clear concept

And the team had stunk for about six years before Snyder showed up.  I don't care about the fanbase I care about the team

And I have difficulty with the whole worst team in 20 years, won't win a game thing considering this is damn close to the same team who won a game with Josh Johnson at QB last year

Sick of saying what?  I said a lot -- that the current state of the team is Snyder's fault?  I'm sick of people saying that's not the case -- it's the only reasonable conclusion. 

Not exactly true.  The initial post-Gibbs teams were definitely bad, as well first the couple seasons with Norv.  Then Norv teams from '95-'99 vacillated between 6-10 wins.  Then Snyder officially takes over the team -- the team had finished 10-6 the season before ('99) and was a botched snap away from going to the NFC Championship game.  Dan does the "oh this is like fantasy football" thing, signs Deion, Bruce Smith, Jeff George, etc, and basically ruined the chemistry and they had built.  Hell, they had the 2nd and 3rd picks in the draft as well that year -- anyway.  Sorry for the history lesson,...

You don't care about the fanbase?  That's an interesting take coming from a fan on a fan forum,....hmmm.  

Like I said, worst team in 20 years?  Remains to be seen -- could they win some games before the season over,...sure.  But it's pretty clear this team is bad right now,...really bad.  So it's hard to see things getting any better as this season progresses,...especially considering the Pats are looming.  

Edited by Probos
12 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think that's something we didn't understand well enough. Players rallied for and played for Alex Smith. He was a leader on the field. The moment he left the D threw up the white flag and the offense (which was injured to hell) may have.

All the wins were luck tho we didnt really manhandle anyone and good offenses (atlanta, new orleans) steamrolled them

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, volsmet said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but in reality every team in the NFL could be competing for a SB title in 2-3 years if done correctly.

But no, we have had some absolutely terrible, talent-less teams. This is just not a good team, that is absolutely the worst coached team we have seen here in, ever? 

4 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

All the wins were luck tho we didnt really manhandle anyone and good offenses (atlanta, new orleans) steamrolled them

That's the NFL. Only the really good teams manhandle other teams. The middling teams grind out wins. The bad teams get wins grinded out on them by middling teams, and steamrolled by the good teams. We were a middling team last year, a bad team this year. 

I brought this up in another thread, but someone said to me last week that we've had 3 secondary coaches in 3 years, yet the same "communication" problems exist with each one.  At what point do we just have dumb players?

You can have all the athletic ability in the world, but if you're dumb - you will be exposed.  We are regularly exposed.  Some want to say that it's just poorly coached, but it seems they've given it the old college try with different guys and none of them can get through.

Add on top of that, our middle linebackers always look lost, slow or both....for several seasons now.  And from a talent perspective - of those who actually play on offense, this is the least talented group they've fielded in some time.  It's just a perfect ****tail of unaddressed or poorly addressed issues most of us could see coming a mile away.  

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

Is this the most penalized team in Redskins history?  If not, it surely is in the top 5.  What I have noticed for 10 years and my best friend was reminding me of this yesterday, is the lack of discipline on this team.  My friend always says that he cannot get over what he sees as the staple of the Skins teams regardless of who the players are, or who the coaches are and that is how undisciplined the team is as a whole.  Then the discussion is always the penalties and missed tackles that keep our D on the field.  The false starts, missed open receivers, and sometimes the drops which we have gone through that essentially stalls drives.  The are the nuts and bolts of this team. How it seems to be built and operating.   It will be Groundhog Day until the lesson is learned.  It is very much what @BurgundyBooger wrote.  Is Dan listening?  You almost need, hate him if you want, a dude like Gregg Williams to come in here and run it like a bootcamp for wayward boys....lol!

And then another mainstay is of course our secondary playing 5-10 yards off guys (sometimes it is a fear of getting beat long more then scheme), and then of course actually getting torched no matter what they do.   This year Norman is the patsy, or designated target they pick on successfully.  Collins, similar to Norman looks like another overpriced investment from FA.  Funny how Gettleman passed on both of them.  

And other mainstay is when the RB gets through our D line, rarely, if ever, do the LB's wrap them up.  They might as well be turnstiles.  

But then, we all are familiar with the mind numbing part, that lets you know it is something within the organization and how it runs top down and that is those players that leave and thrive on other teams.

Edited by skinsmania123
  • Like 1