Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the worst Redskins team in the last 20 years?

Idaho fan

Norvs first year,Ā Pettibon's season in '93, and Spurriers 2nd season, and Zorn's final season come to mind. But this team. There's supposedly talent on it, but our line is horrible without Williams and the right side of it isn't performing up to par. We can't run the ball period, our passing game is pretty bad. Not '93 bad but it nowhere near decent.. And the problem we have no clue where the light at the end of the tunnel is, should we be excited about Haskins? If I remember right Shannahan didn't want RG3 and it turned out he was right in the long run. Is Gruden gonna be right as well?Ā My money is to go with the coaches on this one. You got these supposedly talent defensive line, your gonna have to pay the rest of them soon. Are they worth it? I already feel like moving on from Guice, we drafted the Greg Oden of NFL runningbacks.. I mean with Miami they have a slew of picks to justify their tank job. What do we have? The 2nd worse team in the NFL and go figure about mid Nov. last year after beating Dallas experts had us winning the division..How do you that, go from contender to worse in less than a calendar year??

On 9/29/2019 at 6:58 PM, profusion said:

I'd have to back to Norv's first season, 1994, to remember a worse team than this one. And that was a salary clear-out, rebuilding year.

Honestly, those years right after Gibbs I are so weird since there were so many changes within the organization and the NFL as a whole with the salary cap and free agency. It's hard to put them in historical context; everything seemed to hit the franchise at the same time throughout the 1990s and it set the foundation for the currentĀ house of horrors.

41 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Honestly, those years right after Gibbs I are so weird since there were so many changes within the organization and the NFL as a whole with the salary cap and free agency. It's hard to put them in historical context; everything seemed to hit the franchise at the same time throughout the 1990s and it set the foundation for the currentĀ house of horrors.

Ā 

Yep. Casserly and Gibbs really screwed up by going all in for that one last run in 1992 and then trying to hold things over in 1993 with Pettibon. The FO knew the changes were coming but did nothing to prepare.

2 minutes ago, profusion said:

Ā 

Yep. Casserly and Gibbs really screwed up by going all in for that one last run in 1992 and then trying to hold things over in 1993 with Pettibon. The FO knew the changes were coming but did nothing to prepare.

As much as I admire Joe Gibbs in every way, he really did leave Richie Pettibon with a flaming bag of **** and set him up to fail. I don't know if anyone could have succeeded in that environment, especially with The Squire fading and scrambling to find and build a new stadium for the team. Then after he dies and the whole question of team ownership is up in the air, which leads to Snyder buying the team in the first place.

12 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

As much as I admire Joe Gibbs in every way, he really did leave Richie Pettibon with a flaming bag of **** and set him up to fail. I don't know if anyone could have succeeded in that environment, especially with The Squire fading and scrambling to find and build a new stadium for the team. Then after he dies and the whole question of team ownership is up in the air, which leads to Snyder buying the team in the first place.

The Skins during the Allen and Gibbs eras relied on trading for high-priced veterans and didn't build through the draft. Because of that, the team was set to fail spectacularly when free agency and the salary cap came in.

Ā 

Dallas prospered because of timing. Jerry had just dismantled the veteran Landry team and gotten a bunch of youngsters. The 49ers successfully adapted. The Packers and Steelers rose in the 90s because they'd always been cheapskates and were well suited for the new reality.

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

I think itā€™s clear. Ā This is the worst RedskinsĀ team in 20 years. Ā 

I'd have to agree, and think you might have to go back to the Petitbon team of 1993 to find a worse one. The 1998 team started out 0-7 but finished 6-3 in the last nine and were scoring points and making things exciting for the most part. I just don't see this team having that in them.

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'd have to agree, and think you might have to go back to the Petitbon team of 1993 to find a worse one. The 1998 team started out 0-7 but finished 6-3 in the last nine and were scoring points and making things exciting for the most part. I just don't see this team having that in them.

I remember that Petibon team. They would be favored By 3+Ā over this one. Ā 

I can't ever remember it being this bad. I'm only 30 but...this is bad. And it feels futile. Even the bad teams of the past didn't really feel like this, but that's probably an accumulation of misery over the years talking.Ā 

I don't know.Ā  See, to me this team is under performing based on the potential we have and what we've done in the past.Ā  While Spurrier's teams were bad.

5 hours ago, Rogue Jedi said:

Forget the last 20 years, this shaping up to be the worst Redskins team of all-time.

Ā 

Well done, Snyder, you POS. You've really done it! About to take this franchise to sub-.500 historically by the end of the season!

Ā 

From what I understand some of our 50s teams were pretty atrocious

It is going to be real interesting to see if anyone shows up for the remaining Skins home games.Ā  They are vs Lions, Jets, Giants & Eagles.Ā  It is very likely that all of these teams will pretty much be out of the running when they play at FedEx so that will minimize the amt of visiting fans (at least in most of those games).

Ā 

They likely won't have many other fans attend save for real, real diehard fans & perhaps desperate fans who haveĀ  never seen a live game.Ā  The games very likely will be played in harsh weather & the area will have witnessed several other teams coming off or in the midst of stellar seasons so the appeal of the Skins is lessened.Ā  Beyond being horrible the Redskins are a pretty boring team now that is not entertaining. Why would anyone want to sit through that crap?

Ā 

Heck - for PR reasons the Redskins may consider giving tickets away (check that - they are too stupid & co.cky).Ā  It just amazes me that this type of thing will unfold yet Snyder will continue to be in denial about Allen.Ā  Sigh....

The Redskins have scored 99 points in 8 games.

Ā 

The only other 2 teams under 100 have only played 6 games.

Ā 

The Redskins on pace for 198 points in a season, lol.

Ā 

In comparison, the 1993 Pettibon Redskin scored 230. The 2008 0-16 Lions scored 249. The 2017 0-16 Browns scored 234.

Ā 

The Pats, Ravens, Chiefs, already have over 200 in 7 games. The Vikings just went over 200 in their 8th.

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, dicksogj said:

It is going to be real interesting to see if anyone shows up for the remaining Skins home games.Ā  They are vs Lions, Jets, Giants & Eagles.Ā  It is very likely that all of these teams will pretty much be out of the running when they play at FedEx so that will minimize the amt of visiting fans (at least in most of those games).

Ā 

They likely won't have many other fans attend save for real, real diehard fans & perhaps desperate fans who haveĀ  never seen a live game.Ā  The games very likely will be played in harsh weather & the area will have witnessed several other teams coming off or in the midst of stellar seasons so the appeal of the Skins is lessened.Ā  Beyond being horrible the Redskins are a pretty boring team now that is not entertaining. Why would anyone want to sit through that crap?

Ā 

Heck - for PR reasons the Redskins may consider giving tickets away (check that - they are too stupid & co.cky).Ā  It just amazes me that this type of thing will unfold yet Snyder will continue to be in denial about Allen.Ā  Sigh....

Agree and good point. Ā Imagine being a season ticket holder... How many season ticket holders will renew next year? Ā It has to be at an all time low.

Ā 

Those late November games against Jets and LionsĀ will have an empty stadium. Ā 

Ā 

Archived