Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is There a Tipping Point for China and Human Rights Violations???

Renegade7

Is there a point where the International Community has to get more involved such as Sanctions or even War with China over Human Rights Violations???  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a point where the International Community has to get more involved such as Sanctions or even War with China over Human Rights Violations???

• War and Sanctions should be on the table in regards to human rights violations
    • Sanctions, but war won't be worth it over human rights violations
    • I don't support war or sanctions on China over human rights violations
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • It doesn't matter, we wouldn't win anyway

If the individual franchises are taking signs, I don’t think it’s because individual franchises are making decisions about China. It’s because the while league is making decisions about China, and individual franchises are making individual decisions about how to deal with it. It’s still a league wide issue. Their interest in China is not new or unknown to anyone who follows the nba. I barely follow it at all and I know about it. 

im skeptical about the boycotting. I’ll believe it when I see orgs apologize and people refuse to accept it. This isn’t an apology matter. If you put money over human rights that’s a intrinsic trait about you and you’re never going to fix it. You might accidentally reveal it, and then try to cover it up and apologize to save yourself, but fundamentally nothing’s changed. Likely you’ll just be more carful going forward. 

Do people care more about holding someone accountable for profiting at the expense of horrid human rights violations? We’ll see. My money is on no. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hawgboy said:

I'm no poli/sci major but how do you sanction or strike at a nuclear power who owns your debt and the Panama Canal?

Same, but Do they own the canal or jus ports on both ends?  And they dont own our debt, jus a portion similar in size to Japan. The country with the largest share of our debt is ourselves.

My concern is trying to sanction China and countries that are sanctioned jus decide to do trade with them, creating two global economies like @No Excuses talked about.  Present course isnt working, nor is Chinas coming population decline.  

You can argue this level of infrastructure investment is unsubstainable and in some cases misguided, they have empty cities and highways in certain parts of the country, so tolls and rent cant offset those costs, that's a loss all day.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, No Excuses said:

Never take seriously another word this man has to say on civil rights.

I don’t think LeBron says anywhere near enough when it comes to Civil Rights issues in this country, but what kind of all or nothing nonsense is this?

54 minutes ago, DoneMessedUp said:

Lebron is only woke when being woke gets him paid. And I have no doubts that's true for most woke celebrities.

Just like every other corporation. The NBA is supposedly conscious on social issues yet is backpedaling like Deion Sanders in ‘94 on this. How about Nike? ESPN? We can run down the line. Why do you make it seem like it’s just LeBron and woke celebrities and not our institutions?

Im confused about all of this to be honest. 

I will say Lebron just speaking on the issue as little as he did above is going to bring some more eyes to the issue just because he is Lebron. Of course he could set his career and the NBA on fire to speak out about this, and to many that is probably preferable. But I do wonder if he can be effective in bringing awareness to the issue just by being the "bad guy" and following NBA orders. 

I dunno, like I said im confused. I thought that Hong Kong agreeing to extradite people to China was a bad thing (for the people of hong kong) so the GM supporting that was bad? But....now I dont really understand. Im going to have to read more on it. If anything, im willing to be Lebron does too. I doubt he knows 100% whats happening. 

Does the CCP have any control over Hong Kong though? I thought HK had maintained all of its government or control or whatever? This is why im saying im confused and I wouldn't be surprised if others were/are. 

And eh tweet was specific about HK. Should I be seeing HK and China as separate entities in this? 

38 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Does the CCP have any control over Hong Kong though? I thought HK had maintained all of its government or control or whatever? This is why im saying im confused and I wouldn't be surprised if others were/are. 

And eh tweet was specific about HK. Should I be seeing HK and China as separate entities in this? 

CCP controls Hong Kong since the return from the British in 1997, the deal is one country two system but CCP been slowly remove any autonomy from HK. There's been protest over the years but nothing this prolonged or violent. I guess Hong Kong people had finally had enough and the extradition law is the last straw.

Most people from Hong Kong say they are from HK and not China, which of course upsets the CCP. But many if not most mainland Chinese especially those in the middle/upper economic class view HK as part of China and should follow the same political rules.

4 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Why do you make it seem like it’s just LeBron and woke celebrities and not our institutions?

Bruh the topic was Lebron--a woke celebrity--and I wrote literally two sentences. 

But if it makes you feel better, then yes, I think woke corporations are no different than woke celebrities. Especially when they're working together (Lebron /Nike). It's nothing but a marketing/branding strategy for the vast majority of both. 

• Thanks 1

This is Jimmy Sham. Within 24 hours after US House passed the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act, Jimmy Sham, the convenor of the Civil Human Rights Front and candidate of District Council Election, was smashed hard with hammers and severely wounded by 4 masked persons this evening.

James Harden: “We apologize to China and will donate more hammers for the CCP to beat the **** out of pro-democracy activists.”

1823E1C2-A92D-4703-9FA5-B143EA83113F.jpeg

On 10/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

Just like every other corporation. The NBA is supposedly conscious on social issues yet is backpedaling like Deion Sanders in ‘94 on this. How about Nike? ESPN? We can run down the line. Why do you make it seem like it’s just LeBron and woke celebrities and not our institutions?

The people an organizations that wear the social  justice cape are taking flak where I get news. 

nba Nike and Lebron specifically

also he accused a person that has been as involved as anyone else in the league with China of being uneducated on the matter

a matter almost everyone seems to understand is horrid human rights violations, but lebron doesnt 😂

additionally what he basically said is that it’s bad to be critical of human rights violations because it’s bad for business. 

it’s interesting you come running to his defense with whataboutism though 🤔

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

it’s interesting you come running to his defense with whataboutism though 🤔

This is a big issue with message board conversations. Nuance gets lost for a “gotcha” moment. I do it too.

My post wasn’t a defense of LeBron. I am critical of LeBron being painted as the face of this when he didn’t create this mess. It’s not a defense of LeBron’s statement, it’s more of why is the attacks mostly on him and not the persons and institutions who created this? But let me be clear, LeBron’s statement was stupid and shows what he is actually concerned with. I have also always been critical of LeBron touching on some social issues because the money support it and then staying mum on others. Or LeBron making a vague statement that sounds like he is down for the cause but is actually saying nothing substantive. (Like a politician)

Nike have made him the Hip Hop Generation’s MJ. 

This is almost, but not quite, similar to what usually happens in pro sports labor stoppages where fans side with the owners and paint the players as the bad guys for wanting a few more millions. Fans feel mad at players but are fine with the billionaire owners wanting more.

Edited by BenningRoadSkin
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

it’s more of why is the attacks mostly on him and not the persons and institutions who created this?

Mr. Nuance should read the thread, which has plenty of criticism for the corporate egg heads in this mess. 

Let’s get real, you can’t bring yourself to be critical of black athletes without the need to perform an Olympic gold medal performance in mental gymnastics. 

4 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Mr. Nuance should read the thread, which has plenty of criticism for the corporate egg heads in this mess. 

Let’s get real, you can’t bring yourself to be critical of black athletes without the need to perform an Olympic gold medal performance in mental gymnastics. 

Yeah, but you decided to go at James Harden and LeBron and not Bob Iger, Tillman Fetitta, Mark Parker, etc.

And if I can’t be critical of black athletes, you should go back to the post you decided not to quote where I criticized LeBron. 

Edited by BenningRoadSkin

30 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

This is a big issue with message board conversations. Nuance gets lost for a “gotcha” moment. I do it too.

that’s fair.  As is the rest of your post and I agree with it. 

the reason Labron is catching **** is because exactly what you said - he goes out there in social issues when it’s financially beneficial to do so, and doesn’t when it’s not (or especially when it’s financially detrimental)

he’s behaving the same way the NBA does. The same way Nike does. They want the positive PR of appearing to fight the good fight for people who are subjected to social inequality issues, but they don’t want the actual work of fighting the good fight. 

also, what he said was really stupid. If you’re going to be overly condescending about another person’s intelligence, best be right about it. And he’s flat wrong in obvious ways. So obvious it’s quite clear what is motivating him to do it. 

but this is probably also a problem with where we get our news from. Everyone I’ve listened to discuss this has trashed lebron the same as Nike and the NBA. The general criticism is:

a lot of companies are making a lot of money ignoring how awful China is on human rights. That’s terrible and it’s be nice if we could force better morals on them. But Nike, the NBa, and Lebron have donned the social justice capes, and now they’re exposed as complete and utter frauds (if you needed it exposed, many of us were already aware money drives many of these people to simply not care about China’s abuses. ) for that there is an extra level of criticism for the hypocrisy 

im not seeing people bash Labron harder than the others involved. Just where I get my news. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Yeah, but you decided to go at James Harden and LeBron and not Bob Iger, Tillman Fetitta, Mark Parker, etc.

One of the first posts in this thread is mine calling out corporate America’s self censorship in the face of Chinese pressure and this is before all of this mess happened.

Your one purpose in here has been to first engage in whataboutism of “US is just as bad as China” and then bending over backwards to complain about the nonexistent and made up issue of “why are black athletes being criticized and not the corporate front offices”.

Constant whataboutism and inventing fake narratives isn’t nuance. It’s Trumpism. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

And if I can’t be critical of black athletes, you should go back to the post you decided not to quote where I criticized LeBron. 

You’ve also criticized China, but by first paraphrasing how bad the US is as well. 

Just like you can’t bring yourself to criticize LeBron without making poor attempts at making him a victim of mean ol white men of corporate America.

This is called whataboutism and it’s not as clever as you think it is. 

Edited by No Excuses