Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

1 hour ago, SkinsFTW said:

Who hired Joe Gibbs the first time in Washington?

Oh, thats right, Beathard, the GM picked his guy and the owner agreed with his GM.

"It was reported yesterday that Cook's final approval was the only things between Gibbs and the Redskin job. Gibbs became the leading candidate after being recommended strongly by Beathard."

Interesting how that works when the owner acknowledges his inferiority in football decisions.

Who hired Bill Belichick? Robert Kraft. Who hired Mike Tomlin? The Rooney’s.  Who hired Pederson? Lurie, with input from his front office.  Who hired Coughlin? Mara. 

That might have been true 40 years ago, it’s not true now. All owners are extremely involved in the hiring process.  You can wish it away, but it’s just a fact of life at this point. 

9 hours ago, hail2skins said:

It would be naïve to think that Snyder would not have the right to have final say on coach. But what folks are saying is that it appears that a coach has already been selected before a GM, or at the very least the selections are concurrent.  Whether that's true or not is anyone's guess. 

And I take a somewhat different view, and one that is becoming more prevalent in the NFL that the coach doesn’t have to report to the person who picks the players.  Both of those roles are equal, and should report to somebody above them so the player picker can’t blame the coach for not coaching up bad players.

So I think that the Senior Exec is already chosen.  And now they are looking for a coach/personnel tandem like SF has.  The two have to work together as a team. 

This is just a hunch and I could be very wrong and Dan still could do this back-asswards.  But my gut feeling is Dan is looking for 2 people to work as a team, not one to report to another. 

24 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Who hired Bill Belichick? Robert Kraft. Who hired Mike Tomlin? The Rooney’s.  Who hired Pederson? Lurie, with input from his front office.  Who hired Coughlin? Mara. 

That might have been true 40 years ago, it’s not true now. All owners are extremely involved in the hiring process.  You can wish it away, but it’s just a fact of life at this point. 

I have to agree

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd be pretty pissed if I found out there was a new chef at my job while I drove to work.

I mean, I would hope at this point somebody has pulled Callahan aside and told him that he’s not part of the plans moving forward and thanked him for his efforts.  

Regardless, Callahan has to know that he’s not part of the plans.  

But regardless, you can’t name a new HC while you still employ one.  

17 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I mean, I would hope at this point somebody has pulled Callahan aside and told him that he’s not part of the plans moving forward and thanked him for his efforts.  

Regardless, Callahan has to know that he’s not part of the plans.  

But regardless, you can’t name a new HC while you still employ one.  

Do we though? Callaghan has a contract as O line coach & is filling in a role temporarily but we don't have a full-time employed HC.

Maybe you don't want the extra distractions before a game, but if Dan truly wanted Ron you'd try an get him signed before the season end (quietly) & announced on Monday so no one else can jump in. 

I just don't like the idea of one team played up against another, we lose out & end up picking up scraps having fired our coach so early in season  

11 minutes ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

I can live with Rivera, at least he has a ton of NFL experience and has a winning percentage. We need someone who is respected and will restore some stability to this dumpster fire. Like the fact defense is his specialty. Cheers.

And he is my favorite candidate. I mean to deal with the strong personality of Cam Newton.  Good motivator.  But also seems to let guys be themselves.  He is my favorite along with Matt Rhule, who i know does not have NFL experience but he has turned around two college programs and I just like the way he thinks overall.  I don't think the Skins will wind up with either of them. It depends on how they perceive the structure of the FO and obviously what a few other teams do.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I guess Rivera is a good hire. Hopefully he wants to move on from a lot of our older vets and since we have an incredibly young team, the "ole Coach" figure is a great strength to build around. I also like the defensive coach. 

Ugh, I saw a tweet somewhere that he could probably revitalize Norman's career!

11 minutes ago, Bunny Kelly said:

Do we though? Callaghan has a contract as O line coach & is filling in a role temporarily but we don't have a full-time employed HC.

Maybe you don't want the extra distractions before a game, but if Dan truly wanted Ron you'd try an get him signed before the season end (quietly) & announced on Monday so no one else can jump in. 

I just don't like the idea of one team played up against another, we lose out & end up picking up scraps having fired our coach so early in season  

I am positive he got a new contract with more money when he signed on as interim HC. 

I don’t think you can announce a. Ew HC until the interim is out the door. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sooooo much potential with this young and upcoming coach. I am not one for wanting to keep former coaches on a previous staff, but O'Connell is the exception to the rule here.  Paired with a good defensive minded HC and we might be cooking with fire here.

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am positive he got a new contract with more money when he signed on as interim HC. 

I don’t think you can announce a. Ew HC until the interim is out the door. 

My lastcomment was more could we have him signed up & not announced? We had an advantage of a head start in the recruiting process so to end up in a scramble with other teams would be frustrating

Archived