Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

56 minutes ago, TK said:

I'm gonna throw a name out there to keep an eye on.

Arthur Smith.

He's currently the Titans OC that's resurrected Tannenhill's career. He's also been an assistant coach for NC & Ole Miss. Smith graduated rom NC in 2006 & then was hired for his first job as a Defensive Quality Assistant. Who hired him? Joe Gibbs. Smith was here in 07 -08, went to Ol Miss in 2010 as a Defensive intern & administrative assistant. He joined the Titans in 2011 serving as a Defensive quality control coach, Offensive quality control coach, OL & TE assistant coach, Assistant TE coach, TE coach, & became their OC this year. Oh, here's the kicker. His dad is Fred Smith. The guy that started FedEx, has a minority share in the Redskins ownership, & has been in Dan's ear about Bruce needing to be told he can take the window or he can take the stairs. :) 

Smith as HC.  How about GM?  Would they keep Kyle Smith, TK?

7 hours ago, TK said:

Arthur Smith.

He's currently the Titans OC that's resurrected Tannenhill's career. He's also been an assistant coach for NC & Ole Miss. Smith graduated rom NC in 2006 & then was hired for his first job as a Defensive Quality Assistant. Who hired him? Joe Gibbs. Smith was here in 07 -08, went to Ol Miss in 2010 as a Defensive intern & administrative assistant. He joined the Titans in 2011 serving as a Defensive quality control coach, Offensive quality control coach, OL & TE assistant coach, Assistant TE coach, TE coach, & became their OC this year. Oh, here's the kicker. His dad is Fred Smith. The guy that started FedEx, has a minority share in the Redskins ownership, & has been in Dan's ear about Bruce needing to be told he can take the window or he can take the stairs. :) 

Appreciate you sharing, but hope this doesn’t happen.  He’s only been coordinator for one season.  Skins need a field general more than anything.  Callahan’s actually done a nice job as that. 

Plus, if they hired Arthur Smith and it didn’t work out, it would be really tough for Snyder to fire his minority partner’s son.  Setting up a potentially uncomfortable situation.

7 hours ago, TK said:

Arthur Smith.

You make a good case for him.

Here's the biggest problem with Callahan: His ties to Allen.

If Allen is here, I expect the head coach to be Callahan. We could do worse under that structure, but still not a situation I want to think about.

If Allen is removed ( :ols: ) then just like the front office, the new GM needs to bring in people that don't have ties to Allen. Allen's influence on the organization must be completely removed. I understand that many here like Callahan, I'm not a huge fan but I need to admit he's growing on me, but Allen ties to coaches and front office personnel need to be cleared out. If the new GM happens to like a guy and isn't worried about their Allen Influence then fine. 

But the best case scenario is that Callahan isn't here next year, and sadly enough, that has nothing to do with him.

15 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Here's the biggest problem with Callahan: His ties to Allen.

If Allen is here, I expect the head coach to be Callahan. We could do worse under that structure, but still not a situation I want to think about.

If Allen is removed ( :ols: ) then just like the front office, the new GM needs to bring in people that don't have ties to Allen. Allen's influence on the organization must be completely removed. I understand that many here like Callahan, I'm not a huge fan but I need to admit he's growing on me, but Allen ties to coaches and front office personnel need to be cleared out. If the new GM happens to like a guy and isn't worried about their Allen Influence then fine. 

But the best case scenario is that Callahan isn't here next year, and sadly enough, that has nothing to do with him.

Callahan isn’t a sexy pick, but does have the team playing well.

Allen / Callahan is better than Cerrato / Zorn.  Things could certainly be better, but it’s been worse when Dan tried to go it alone without supervision (Allen). 

I think I want Allen gone too, but does anyone trust Dan to put the best people in place?

3 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Callahan isn’t a sexy pick, but does have the team playing well.

Allen / Callahan is better than Cerrato / Zorn.  Things could certainly be better, but it’s been worse when Dan tried to go it alone without supervision (Allen). 

I think I want Allen gone too, but does anyone trust Dan to put the best people in place?

No. But I don't trust Allen. And Snyder isn't changing unless he chooses to sell. The highest removal we can make is Allen.

Having said that, I think Snyder is highly influenced by the people around him. The people he trusts have his ear. Most people don't think about it, but look how he has changed with each person he's trusted. Highly meddling/big spender with Cerrato. More relaxed with Gibbs/Cerrato, but still spent (not as much) and didn't build depth. Much more measured with Allen on the spending front, but still involved a bit too much.

Let's say a guy like Urban Meyer was in the fold and willing to come here if Allen were gone. Meyer can hobknob with Snyder. He's a CEO type of guy that would likely do well in that spot. He likely wouldn't become Snyder's drinking buddy, but I think he's the kind of guy who can influence Snyder.

Do I necessarily love that idea? No. But I sure as hell like it more than Allen.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

No. But I don't trust Allen. And Snyder isn't changing unless he chooses to sell. The highest removal we can make is Allen.

Having said that, I think Snyder is highly influenced by the people around him. The people he trusts have his ear. Most people don't think about it, but look how he has changed with each person he's trusted. Highly meddling/big spender with Cerrato. More relaxed with Gibbs/Cerrato, but still spent (not as much) and didn't build depth. Much more measured with Allen on the spending front, but still involved a bit too much.

Let's say a guy like Urban Meyer was in the fold and willing to come here if Allen were gone. Meyer can hobknob with Snyder. He's a CEO type of guy that would likely do well in that spot. He likely wouldn't become Snyder's drinking buddy, but I think he's the kind of guy who can influence Snyder.

Do I necessarily love that idea? No. But I sure as hell like it more than Allen.

Excellent point ... Dan does listen to those closest to him.  We need the right person in that role.  I’d be excited to see what Meyer would do if truly committed to the pro game.  Especially if he’s actually done research on the best personnel people and has a vision for that side of the house.

2 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Excellent point ... Dan does listen to those closest to him.  We need the right person in that role.  I’d be excited to see what Meyer would do if truly committed to the pro game.  Especially if he’s actually done research on the best personnel people and has a vision for that side of the house.

One of my favorite scenarios is a CEO type of guy (not necessarily Meyer) coming in and building the staff (front office/head coach) with much of his input. That allows him to get the groceries he needs on the field and off to succeed. His staff would include a few guys he thought had a head coach caliber personality/pedigree. And then, after a few years coaching and establishing a system, he leaves the field and takes over the President/GM role and allows one of the guys hes groomed to be the head coach. 

I'm also fine with the old school traditional: Hire a football guy as GM and let him fill out the staff.

The key is the football guy/CEO part. Their title, whether HC or GM is irrelevant in my opinion.

Thing is, I don't think Meyer would outright say that he is scouting the job and is interested. It'd be really rude and an insult to Callahan who right now holds that position. Even if it's an open secret that there will be a coaching vacancy after game 16 I think it's against football etiquette to publicly go after a gig that someone else has. You might do it quietly behind the scenes, but not in or to the media.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Thing is, I don't think Meyer would outright say that he is scouting the job and is interested. It'd be really rude and an insult to Callahan who right now holds that position. Even if it's an open secret that there will be a coaching vacancy after game 16 I think it's against football etiquette to publicly go after a gig that someone else has. You might do it quietly behind the scenes, but not in or to the media.

Completely agree.

Not sure if he was there to watch his former players and hang with Smith, as part of the coaching search or both. But no matter what, no one, including McLaurin is going to know and/or say anything about it. 

8 hours ago, Unbias said:

Alex Smith for GM - the only qualification he has is that Snyder likes him. Let that sink in for a sec. 

That's the only qualification that is required.

Vinny and Bruce weren't qualified either yet we got to watch 10 years of ineptitude each.

I agree to an extent.  Although, Meyer had no problem saying he'd be interested in the Cowboys job publicly when asked.  Albert Breer, Ohio alumni, pretty connected there had a report weeks back that he was told he'd have a better shot winning power-lotto then Meyer would have interest in the Redskins job.   

I got my doubts.  If Meyer would have multiple possibilities as some purport why would he come here?  I guess Dan could break records in how much he would pay him and Alex could try to talk him into it.   

Mort reported on NFL Live yesterday that he does not believe Urban Meyer will be coaching the Skins.  He thinks it’s much more likely it will be “a guy like Marvin Lewis.”

I heard Snyder refer to Marvin Lewis as “my dear friend” in an interview a few years ago. Mort also has reported that Marvin would bring Hue Jackson as his OC. Dan liked Hue when he was Spurrier’s OC. 

Could definitely see Dan being comfortable with this setup. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I agree to an extent.  Although, Meyer had no problem saying he'd be interested in the Cowboys job publicly when asked.  Albert Breer, Ohio alumni, pretty connected there had a report weeks back that he was told he'd have a better shot winning power-lotto then Meyer would have interest in the Redskins job.   

I got my doubts.  If Meyer would have multiple possibilities as some purport why would he come here?  I guess Dan could break records in how much he would pay him. 

Something I've learned with my time in sports/being around sports: Nothing is ever as concrete as you'd think it would be.

I don't think Meyer is going to be the Redskins HC/GM or any combo of those titles personally speaking. But I wouldn't count press clippings into the equation one way or another. These guys all know how to maneuver. In one swoop, Meyers presence in the Skins press box makes a guy like Jerry Jones want him just a little bit more.

And Meyer saying he's interested in Dallas and not naming any other teams also makes other teams' want to do more to get his attention.

We'll see.

But to me, Meyer isn't the end all be all. But a guy like Meyer (CEO type) that would require Allen to be removed is the kind of guy I want. 

4 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

Mort reported on NFL Live yesterday that he does not believe Urban Meyer will be coaching the Skins.  He thinks it’s much more likely it will be “a guy like Marvin Lewis.”

I agree here. I don't think the Skins job is very attractive. In fact, it might be the least attractive opening in sports (aside from the Knicks... good Lord) ... Until Allen is removed ( :ols: ). And even then, it's not "great"

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I heard Snyder refer to Marvin Lewis as “my dear friend” in an interview a few years ago. Mort also has reported that Marvin would bring Hue Jackson as his OC. Dan liked Hue when he was Spurrier’s OC. 

Could definitely see Dan being comfortable with this setup. 

With Marvin Lewis as coach and Alex Synder as GM, what could go wrong?

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Something I've learned with my time in sports/being around sports: Nothing is ever as concrete as you'd think it would be.

And Meyer saying he's interested in Dallas and not naming any other teams also makes other teams' want to do more to get his attention.

We'll see.

But to me, Meyer isn't the end all be all. But a guy like Meyer (CEO type) that would require Allen to be removed is the kind of guy I want. 

Don't get me wrong, I don’t think anything is concrete.   There is just plenty of smoke beyond the Breer report that Urban isn’t interested.  Yeah it could be all orchestrated by Urban in an effort to play hard to get, you never know.

money is always an unpredictable X factor.  I am cool if Urban ends up the guy but like you I’d be surprised if he is.

29 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Don't get me wrong, I don’t think anything is concrete.   There is just plenty of smoke beyond the Breer report that Urban isn’t interested.  Yeah it could be all orchestrated by Urban in an effort to play hard to get, you never know.

money is always an unpredictable X factor.  I am cool if Urban ends up the guy but like you I’d be surprised if he is.

I’d like him too, but only if he really wants the gig.  Job is too intense to have to convince someone to do it.

My best guess is Snyder already has his team tentatively lined up.  Mort has his finger on the pulse. 

HC: Marvin

OC: Hue

DC: Unknown

Personnel: Unknown

6 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I’d like him too, but only if he really wants the gig.  Job is too intense to have to convince someone to do it.

My best guess is Snyder already has his team tentatively lined up.  Mort has his finger on the pulse. 

HC: Marvin

OC: Hue

DC: Unknown

Personnel: Unknown

I'd find this really uninspiring. Marvin was a fine HC. Heck, he may even be very good in being able to make Cinci respectable, but it sounds like such a retread cast.

20 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I'd find this really uninspiring. Marvin was a fine HC. Heck, he may even be very good in being able to make Cinci respectable, but it sounds like such a retread cast.

I agree, but he could probably handle the Skins organization and DC Media.  He’s worked for Snyder before and knows what he’s getting into.  He thrived under Mike Brown, plus Snyder knows and really likes him. 

Not the most exciting choice, but they could do much worse.  Half the battle w/ Skins is eliminating drama and distractions.  Marvin is a pretty safe choice in this regard. 

On "Get Up" this morning they had a round table of people, including Dan Graziano which talked about this Urban Meyer stuff and it made a lot of sense.

1)   He's been putting himself "out there" and having discussions in the event he decides to coach again

2)  In having these discussions, he's deciding whether he can make the jump and succeed in the NFL

3)  He can't pick his players in the NFL like College but 2 of his biggest assets from Ohio State are with the Redskins and they happen to have an opening

4)  It wasn't a coincident that he was in Snyder's box, it's part of the putting himself "out there" and gauging mutual interest

5)  It could also bode well for him if he decides to return to college next year in leveraging some University for a big contract

After hearing them all talk it just appears to be a courtship with the NFL right now but he hasn't decided if it's something he wants to do.

7 minutes ago, Andre The Giant said:

I agree, but he could probably handle the Skins organization and DC Media.  He’s worked for Snyder before and knows what he’s getting into.  He thrived under Mike Brown, plus Snyder knows and really likes him. 

Not the most exciting choice, but they could do much worse.  Half the battle w/ Skins is eliminating drama and distractions.  Marvin is a pretty safe choice in this regard. 

Marvin Lewis is just another version of Jeff Fisher. Hes fine if you want to miss the playoffs every year. I would much rather have a couch who ended up being awful and at least you can draft high then Marvin Lewis. At least you would get something positive out of it.

Archived