Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

I hope Eli Manning plays the game of his career against us at home next Sunday.  Anything that MIGHT help us get Allen out of town.  Here's to hoping.  Hoping the Cowboys game has meaning too and they trounce us.  I'll take all the help we can get to get Allen out of here.

6 hours ago, Art said:

The only reason Meyer or ANY established coach would come here is because of the players Allen brought in.   If Haskins, Guice, McLaurin, Allen, Payne, etc. are our core and we are good we build a statue to Allen in five years.   I doubt we get Meyer, cause we have been once bitten on the college coach thing.   But I suspect we get a big name largely because our core makes us the most attractive possibility without complete rebuild being clearly necessary.

This is what I used to say in the Bruce Allen thread, but I've backed off lately. I grade the Bruce era in 4 stages.

1. Bruce with Mike,

2. Bruce pre Scot,

3. Bruce with Scot

4. Bruce post Scot. 

I don't think its a debate that Bruce post Scot is the best drafting we've seen from Bruce. And if stuff like the Scot, Trent, Cousins, trying to ruin Mike, trying to ruin Jay now, stuff didn't happen I wouldn't have fallen off the "I'm ok with leaving things as they are" bandwagon, but those things did happen so its hard to just ignore them. 

But if we were to rank the drafts in the Bruce eras, I'd probably say 4 > 2 > 3 > 1. But the ordering really doesn't matter as much as the fact that we've done both piss poor in the draft with Bruce and (really) well in the draft with Bruce makes me believe that he's not the key ingredient that suddenly turned things around. What I did notice (and I remember the optimism this gave me at the time) was the promoting of Kyle Smith (and the demotion of Scott Campbell) and him being AJ Smith's son, which I thought could be a positive since AJ Smith was always one of my favorite GMs (as far as building rosters). 

We often hear Smith go on Larry Michael show and talk about the draft process, or we'd hear Gruden talk about  how they were using Kyle Smith's draft board. So I give him a lot more credit than Bruce.

I'm not saying that Bruce can't take credit for it because just like my managers try to take credit for my work when half of them couldn't repeat most of the words on one of my slides. But that's the way the hierarchy works, they brought me in so they get to take some credit for "finding" me. 

But to your main point (which you bring up later), the idea that this is a talented team with a lot of young players and a solution at QB could be very appealing to a coach in here - if they agree with fans as to how talented these guys are. There has been discussion about Haskins, but the next guy could want to move on from Guice/Love/Harmon/Sims/Moreau/Allen/Payne/etc. because of certain mistakes they keep seeing (dropped balls) style of play (3-4 vs 4-3 or man vs zone), or be an old school type coach who is more in favor of having a bunch of vets than trying to teach rookies. And that makes the position hard to judge. 

But if they do like these young guys and say they want to grow with them, then Bruce definitely has an argument that says "how can you like the fruits of my labor without liking the person doing the labor?" or something like that - I'm not good with sayings. And it really becomes something that I was saying in the Bruce Allen thread. There was a question then about who we should give credit (blame) to without a GM and at the time I was saying it didn't matter as long as it worked. But the assumption there was that Dan or whoever else needed to make a decision would have a scorecard about how each scout and member of the FO is doing with personnel. I didn't need to see it because I'm not going to be firing or promoting. But if such a thing exists then I'm sure that a guy like Kyle Smith would have a higher rating than Bruce so Dan or Doug or Kyle or whoever else could make an argument saying that Kyle is the one who's actually doing the work, and Bruce is adding nothing. 

I really hope that Bruce doesn't stay and that him staying doesn't keep us from getting a good hire, but the other thing is the question of what is a good hire? There are certain qualities I'd look for - leader, organized, motivated, motivator, confident enough to hire good coordinators, etc. But a lot of those qualities we don't see (especially if they're true) until they've already got the job. And its not always the hot coordinator who is the best - just look at John Harbaugh. But if this is another Zorn like situation where its Zorn or Fassel, its going to be a long offseason

I liked our gameplan on offense. It felt innovative and hard to predict for the Eagles. I also felt that Haskins was really comfortable with what we asked him to do. As many have suggested this didn't feel like a Callahan gameplan so I assume it's been mainly KOC's work.

You hear all about how he is a great offensive mind and yesterday's game was the first time I felt that any of that might be true. No stupid run-run-pass and constantly looking at 3rd and 7 for our third down. I'd love to see more of what we saw yesterday.

I want a new HC, ideally someone who is a defensive mind. But I also would like to keep KOC and see what he has to offer going forward. Ideally, we could also keep Callahan as O-line coach, but it feels like a long shot to keep those guys with a new HC in town.

I believe at the time there was a story Jay wanted to get fired ASAP so his rep wouldn't get tainted with our dumpster fire of a season, with that in mind I am delighted at how the players have fought for coach Callahan & come together as a team.

Hopefully that selfish lazy attitude costs him in that future (bitter I know)

This is a long but good interview by Peter King and write up about how Mike McCarthy is remaking himself for today's football.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

There’s a flow chart for his proposed 14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team. The Chief of Football Technology tops the department, which will run both video and analytics. The top analytics lieutenants will be a Coordinator of Database Management, Coordinator of Football Analytics and Coordinator of Mathematical Innovation. Below them: Football Technology Engineer and two Football Technology Analysts. And finally, a Football Technology Intern. McCarthy spent a day last summer at Pro Football Focus offices in Cincinnati, discovering how much more data is available than he realized. PFF data will be a key component of his analytics tree, as will GPS tracking of players and Next Gen Stats.

The mathematical innovation hire will be crucial. “This guy here has to see the world differently,” McCarthy said, pointing to that job on the flow chart. “He will be very, very important.”

FWIW and have no idea whether he knows anything about it...

Rex Ryan on "Get Up" this morning just said Urban Meyer takes the job.  He also reminded everyone that this is a big boy league and after a couple games is going to be like whoa, what the hell have I done - making reference to the grind of the job.

3 hours ago, celticsalmon said:

Alex Smith is very well respected by teammates and coaches who in KC called him super intelligent.  I think he would be a wonderful option as GM.  Look at what  John Lynch is doing in San Fran and what Mark Muphy has been doing for years in Green Bay. Both, former players

I still don't see the love for Smith as a GM. What I do see (assuming that Snyder is a rational person) is a guy who has been involved in owning a football team for the last 20 years and how much has he improved in that area? Part of me thinks that he was trying to get Vinny and then Bruce to be his personal tutors to help educate him on some of the ins and outs of football so he can sound like @KDawg or some of the analysts when talking about schemes and protections and responsibilities or @Skinsinparadise when talking about draft picks and such. 

I look at some of the players that Snyder reportedly liked the most like Portis and I do hear him on his podcasts and radio interviews and he is a knowledgeable dude. He's not always right but knows how to analyze tape. And I know from my own profession that when you've got somebody who's not an expert in the field but wants to learn the field, one of the hardest things is getting people who've put in the work and time to actually help teach you stuff. So maybe Alex Smith is the latest guy in the line of trying to teach Snyder football. And that's not a joke, but maybe he's actually getting better in that realm. I'm liking the Haskins pick a lot more than some of the previous picks he was linked to (like Sanchez). 

I don't know if there is an official position for this, but I can envision something along these lines more than just promoting him to GM. 

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Rex Ryan on "Get Up" this morning just said Urban Meyer takes the job.  He also reminded everyone that this is a big boy league and after a couple games is going to be like whoa, what the hell have I done - making reference to the grind of the job.

I absolutely cannot ever see Urban Meyer and Bruce Allen coexisting. Meyer is going to want a bunch of control, and Allen would see that as losing power and influence in Redskins Park, which is anathema to his entire being. 

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I absolutely cannot ever see Urban Meyer and Bruce Allen coexisting. Meyer is going to want a bunch of control, and Allen would see that as losing power and influence in Redskins Park, which is anathema to his entire being. 

They wouldn't coexist, Meyer is as much a control freak as Allen.  Allen would be gone in that scenario.

4 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Takes the skins job?

If it meant Bruce’s gets canned then I’m all in on Meyer as coach and Alex as GM, if that is the scenario. UM been successful most places he’s been. Alex by all accounts is an impressive guy. Doesn’t mean he could GM doesn’t mean it doesn’t. I’d take that risk if it meant Bruce hits the road.

Give the HC job to Rob Ryan, wouldn't it be a fantastic picture seeing Rob's flowing Locks running after the umpire and arguing with him about another B******* roughing the passer call against one of his Star DL. 

We Want Rob

We Want Rob

We Want Rob

😂😂😂😂😂

HTTR 

Just now, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

If it meant Bruce’s gets canned then I’m all in on Meyer as coach and Alex as GM, if that is the scenario. UM been successful most places he’s been. Alex by all accounts is an impressive guy. Doesn’t mean he could GM doesn’t mean it doesn’t. I’d take that risk if it meant Bruce hits the road.

If Alex became GM would he forfeit his Guaranteed 15m Cap Hit for 2020?.

HTTR 

5 hours ago, celticsalmon said:

Alex Smith is very well respected by teammates and coaches who in KC called him super intelligent.  I think he would be a wonderful option as GM.  Look at what  John Lynch is doing in San Fran and what Mark Muphy has been doing for years in Green Bay. Both, former players

Alex Smith has done zero to demonstrate he has even the slightest clue how to be a GM. I am sure he has some idea just form being around football. But not enough for me. I like Alex. I think he is a great person and I could see him being in some kind of FO capacity to start and maybe eventually becoming a GM. But right out of the box? Sorry No. 

Mark Murphy was an AD at several colleges before becoming President and CEO of the Packers. Lynch seems to be doing a good job but he also has Kyle Shanahan who could likely be a GM himself.And it's still under 2 seasons. directly into being a FO executive with the Lions and he was very average if even that. Keep in mind the Lions have not won a division since 1993. They have lost an NFL record 9 straight PO games dating back to 1991 when we beat them. They are 1 of 8 teams to have never one a SB. They are also the team that picked Matt Millen right after Mayhew. Millen at least had a little experience but what a disaster. 

I just do not think an ex player with no experience is the right move. 

6 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

So is Elway... his success came and went with Peyton. 

No team can be successful without a qb. We will see what the do with Lock. But Denver has been far more successful than we have even without Elway.

58 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If this is the route, I'd hope we'd make Kyle Smith vs. Alex Smith the GM, but give Alex a gig in scouting so he could begin to earn his chops.

Could we eliminate the money owed on Smith’s contract if he is hired to the FO?

-answered 

Archived