Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

Something that intrigues me about Bieniemy as our next HC is his strong ties with Jon Embree. Embree is the current Assistant HC and TE's coach in SF and was here as our TE's coach in 2010 when the Shanahan's were here in their first year. He is an excellent TE's coach and I like the fact that he's been coaching in the Shanahan system for years now.

Embree served as the Colorado HC after his time here and Bieneiemy was his OC there. Although they bombed out and were fired after two years, maybe it was just a bad situation they took over and two years just wasn't enough time to right that sinking ship. 

If Bieniemy were to become our next HC, I would love for him to lure Embree here with him. I think these two guys together would be a great start to getting our offense on the right path to being the high powered offense you need to be in today's NFL.

This is a good article, not just because it gives insight into Bieniemy's philosophies as a coach and personality, but also because we have more local reporters writing about it as if its a serious thing.

One thing about Bieniemy is that for African American coaches, I often hear about how they're at the top of the list or whatever, but sometimes its hard to actually get that offer. We saw that with Marvin Lewis and with Sherman Lewis. And others who waited for the "perfect opportunity" saw their names quickly drop from the hot list after a bad year, or after they were given another opportunity. One thing that Snyder may have shown is that he was willing to stick with (grow with) a coach. That may be helpful. 

Anyway, I wanted to include this article because its a really good one. 

38 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Bienemey will be a disaster. Second coming of Zorn. The most Redskins move possible. We are going to miss Bruce and Jay in comparison.

How is this a disaster?..and the second coming of Zorn?..I'm a die hard Redskins fan and live out in KC, it's nothing but high praise for this guy from Andy Reid and the fans.  Some fans don't want Bienemey to leaven and rather have him over Reid or for him to stay until Reid retires so he can take the spot.

I want him, just because I've seen his work upclose and the way maholmes and Reid speaks of him...also I could be biased because I always wanted a guy under the Andy Reid tree, So I'm very high on Bienemey 

3 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

How is this a disaster?..and the second coming of Zorn?..I'm a die hard Redskins fan and live out in KC, it's nothing but high praise for this guy from Andy Reid and the fans.  Some fans don't want Bienemey to leaven and rather have him over Reid or for him to stay until Reid retires so he can take the spot.

I want him, just because I've seen his work upclose and the way maholmes and Reid speaks of him...also I could be biased because I always wanted a guy under the Andy Reid tree, So I'm very high on Bienemey 

What does he do for the chiefs? He doesn’t call plays, doesn’t design plays. He’s been a running back coach for a long time and never moved up until he was on the staff with KC here they had Pederson and Nagy move on to head coaches. He gets the Oc title in name only while Andy calls the plays.

He literally lingered as a position coach for over a decade just like Zorn. And just like Zorn he never called a single play in the NFL. When he was calling plays for Colorado for 2 years his team had a record of 4-21 with a single win in his final year. Before that he was the running backs coach and head recruiter at UCLA where he sucked horribly as well.

I absolutely don’t get the fascination with Eric B. He’s not that young either. It’s not like he’s a McVay whizz kid. If he had potential he would have risen faster and would have more responsibilities than he does now and would have had success at the college coaching level. It’s literally a Zorn level hire. Every time he has been given a promotion he has failed miserably except when his head coach is Andy Reid and the QB is Mahomes.

This time he’s the KC offensive coordinator in name only under Andy Reid and somehow he gets credit for that offense? Please. The dude sucked his whole coaching career and lucked into where he is surrounded by coaching talent who were given jobs elsewhere and he moved up by default. 

Thats not mentioning the off the field issues he’s had. It’s the worst possible hire other than bringing Zorn back. I am shocked by the positive vibes and articles about him. The dude is not a good coach. I seriously am baffled that he’s on the short list for the Skins. Makes no sense. 

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

What does he do for the chiefs? He doesn’t call plays, doesn’t design plays. He’s been a running back coach for a long time and never moved up until he was on the staff with KC here they had Pederson and Nagy move on to head coaches. He gets the Oc title in name only while Andy calls the plays.

He literally lingered as a position coach for over a decade just like Zorn. And just like Zorn he never called a single play in the NFL. When he was calling plays for Colorado for 2 years his team had a record of 4-21 with a single win in his final year. Before that he was the running backs coach and head recruiter at UCLA where he sucked horribly as well.

I absolutely don’t get the fascination with Eric B. He’s not that young either. It’s not like he’s a McVay whizz kid. If he had potential he would have risen faster and would have more responsibilities than he does now and would have had success at the college coaching level. It’s literally a Zorn level hire. Every time he has been given a promotion he has failed miserably except when his head coach is Andy Reid and the QB is Mahomes.

This time he’s the KC offensive coordinator in name only under Andy Reid and somehow he gets credit for that offense? Please. The dude sucked his whole coaching career and lucked into where he is surrounded by coaching talent who were given jobs elsewhere and he moved up by default. 

Thats not mentioning the off the field issues he’s had. It’s the worst possible hire other than bringing Zorn back. I am shocked by the positive vibes and articles about him. The dude is not a good coach. I seriously am baffled that he’s on the short list for the Skins. Makes no sense. 

Well he might not call the plays, but he dang on sure comes up with the game plan around here. I know Andy Reid speaks of that..Usually the first 15 plays are his

I believe guys here that's been around him than outsiders looking in. think he has grown from his struggles and learned from Reid. 

2 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Well he might not call the plays, but he dang on sure comes up with the game plan around here. I know Andy Reid speaks of that..Usually the first 15 plays are his

I believe guys here that's been around him than outsiders looking in. think he has grown from his struggles and learned from Reid. 

That’s exactly what Holmgren and Hasselbeck said about Zorn.

If Andy believed in him he would be calling plays just like Pederson and Nagy before him. That’s the undisputed fact. Platitudes and praise mean zilch. The reality is what it is.

6 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

That’s exactly what Holmgren and Hasselbeck said about Zorn.

If Andy believed in him he would be calling plays just like Pederson and Nagy before him. That’s the undisputed fact. Platitudes and praise mean zilch. The reality is what it is.

Well...he's just doing what Nagy and Peterson was doing also....I'm just saying

13 minutes ago, checmate21 said:

Well...he's just doing what Nagy and Peterson was doing also....I'm just saying

Pederson and Nagy both called plays. Eric B doesn’t.

If Reid was a defensive coach and Eric B ran the offense, that’s a qualified candidate. Like Kyle in Atlanta.

In this case it’s a dude who has been a failure when given more responsibility lucking into a coordinator in name only role. 

There are a ton of better less risky candidates available. Why this dude is on the short list is baffling. Worst case hire Todd Bowles make Kevin the OC and keep Callahan as oline/assistant head coach if they want to develop Haskins and demand the head coach work with him. That’s a mistake too but way more sound than this Eric B nonsense which is completely foolish.

14 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Pederson and Nagy both called plays. Eric B doesn’t.

If Reid was a defensive coach and awesome c B ran the offense, that’s a qualified candidate. Like Kyle in Atlanta.

In this case it’s a dude who has been a failure when given more responsibility lucking into a coordinator in name only role. 

There are a ton of better less risky candidates available. Why this dude is on the short list is baffling. Worst case hire Todd Bowles make Kevin the OC and keep Callahan as oline/assistant head coach if they want to develop Haskins and demand the head coach work with him. That’s a mistake too but way more sound than this Eric B nonsense which is completely foolish.

FWIW and I've been luke warm on Eric B but if you Google all Andy's offensive coaches, any of the play calling and game installs have been situational for them. 

54 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Ironically it sounds like you want to stay medium.

21 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Ironically it sounds like you want to stay medium.

I said that’s a mistake too but far better than Eric B. Medium in the NFC East might get you into the playoffs. Medium is better than the clown show alternative. In fact medium might be as good as it gets for us. 

Personally, I would rather that we hire someone who has been a Head Coach before. We have no idea if Bienemy can make the jump from Assistant to Head man.  One of the biggest things that scares me about him is the fact that he's only getting all of this praise since Kansas City suddenly became a great team. So the question must be asked, what suddenly made them great?  Granted, they were a good team when Alex Smith was there but only, good. Now they have an extremely talented QB in Patrick Mahomes who is one of those once in a lifetime guys for KC. He's going to make any team and it's coach look good. I want a guy who has proven for years and years that he can get it done even when he doesn't have superstars. Look at Joe Gibbs. He won 3 Superbowls all with different QB's. Theismann, Williams and Rypien. All of them were good QB's. None of them were great QB's. Gibbs won regardless of that fact because he was a great coach. That's the kind of coach I want to see the Redskins with now. 

I don't think anybody is quite sure of Bieniemy's skills as a play caller and there's a chance they stink. But he appears to be a strong leader of men, which is a top quality for a professional coach in any sport.

Gibbs was a leader of men, Schottenheimer was and so too was Shanahan. Norv Turner, Spurrier, Zorn and Gruden were not. Being a strong leader is a must for our next HC and is a more important quality than how good of a playcaller he is, in my opinion.

The top coaches in the NFL are Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin and Reid. And while they were all very good positional coaches before they became HC's, their best quality is their ability to lead men. 

If Bieniemy is the strong leader of men a lot of people believe he is, he will be a good hire for us. And so long as he surrounds himself with a strong coaching staff, I think he'll have a shot at being a good HC for us.

Bottom line for me is that whoever the next HC is, he better be a strong leader. Otherwise, he's doomed for failure and we'll be looking for a new guy in two years again.

2 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

The top coaches in the NFL are Belichick, Harbaugh, Tomlin and Reid. And while they were all very good positional coaches before they became HC's, their best quality is their ability to lead men. 

I'd wager almost everything that Dan would love Tomlin here, so that's the style of coach he'll be drawn to.

32 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I don't think anybody is quite sure of Bieniemy's skills as a play caller and there's a chance they stink. But he appears to be a strong leader of men, which is a top quality for a professional coach in any sport.

Gibbs was a leader of men, Schottenheimer was and so too was Shanahan. Norv Turner, Spurrier, Zorn and Gruden were not. Being a strong leader is a must for our next HC and is a more important quality than how good of a playcaller he is, in my opinion.

If Bieniemy is the strong leader of men a lot of people believe he is, he will be a good hire for us. And so long as he surrounds himself with a strong coaching staff, I think he'll have a shot at being a good HC for us.

Bottom line for me is that whoever the next HC is, he better be a strong leader. Otherwise, he's doomed for failure and we'll be looking for a new guy in two years again.

Strong leaders of men are usually high character guys who lead by example. Bieniemy has had a ton of incidents in his past that call his character into question. He was involved in a bar fight as a freshman and was arrested, got so many tickets driving that he had his license revoked as a sophmore, drove without a license and was caught, failed to appear in court, had a car accident and fled the scene. He was arrested for preventing firemen from putting out a fire he started at his moms house on the 4th of July using illegal fireworks and was suspended a game for it. 

He got banned from University of Colorado for a year for getting in a fight with a parking lot attendant despite the fact he was a Heisman candidate at the school a year before and NFL running back. He got a dui in his first year as running backs coach for Colorado after his NFL career was over. When he came back to Colorado after coaching running backs at UCLA, he was offensive coordinator with 4-21 record and head of recruiting. Colorado came under investigation for numerous rape allegations involving players he recruited. Basically the Baylor scandal before Twitter and metoo otherwise his career would be toast. 

The checkered past, lack of success anywhere outside of KC and uncertainties about his coaching abilities make him such a high risk hire. I seriously don’t get it. Yes Andy Reid is hot and the KC offense is great but Bieniemy is just such a  high risk low reward hire.  

1 minute ago, JoggingGod said:

Holy **** are you really holding stuff against a 50 year old from when he was in college? 

When he was a 5 star recruit and Heisman candidate absolutely. He knew he was under a microscope and had so many run ins with the law anyway. His incidents continued well into his professional coaching career. Including pretty serious allegations of condoning rape and sexual assault by his recruits at the University of Colorado. All the puff pieces now will turn into an expose of that time if he’s the hire. Watch.

Just now, JoggingGod said:

So basically don’t hire him because he was an idiot in the mid 90s, and he may or may not have been associated with a scandal in 2001?

This is why nobody respects Skins fans at all. 

He got a DUI in 2001 when he was a football coach. He is accused of hiring prostitutes and serving alcohol to high school recruits during that same time. Rapes and sexual assaults were claimed to have occurred  at those recruiting parties including between players.  If you don’t think in this day and age all of that won’t blow up if he’s the head coach of the Redskins, you have your eyes closed. This will be Sally Jenkins first article after Bieniemy’s introductory press conference. That side show is in addition to his lack of coaching success outside of KC is not what the Skins need.

If they want a motivator and a leader of men, my vote is to back the brinks truck up to Bill Cowhers door. He's a No Nonsense, my way or the highway coach and that's exactly what this team needs. I also believe that he would NOT be a puppet to Snyder or Allen (If he's even still here).  Probably have no chance of this happening but money talks. 

Archived