Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

13 minutes ago, redrobert said:

I’d love to have Rivera as our Defensive Coordinator.  

He's gonna get another HC job. He's a damn good coach. The Newton injury boned him. The fact that he managed to get to 5-3 with dreadful Kyle Allen at QB says all you need to know.

9 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Isn’t reshuffling the norm in the NFL?? Here I thought being patient was celebrated amongst the masses. 

Not sure what you're getting at. Continuity is only good when the thing you're keeping is good. How long exactly is the leash of your patience? 

19 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Not sure what you're getting at. Continuity is only good when the thing you're keeping is good. How long exactly is the leash of your patience? 

As you know, each situation is different and there’s no right or wrong way to do things, but an owner being credited with moving on from Rivera during a season most were lauding the team for staying in the race is strange. I did hear some rumors there was some contention behind the scenes with Rivera and FO, in regards to not wanting to IR Cam Newton among other things. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was Rivera’s last year of his contract (didn’t check). 

No set time for a coach, but I’m always going to lean towards patience in hope of establishing some continuity, especially if the franchise doesn’t have a franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

As you know, each situation is different and there’s no right or wrong way to do things, but an owner being credited with moving on from Rivera during a season most were lauding the team for staying in the race is strange. I did hear some rumors there was some contention behind the scenes with Rivera and FO, in regards to not wanting to IR Cam Newton among other things. Wouldn’t be surprised if this was Rivera’s last year of his contract (didn’t check). 

No set time for a coach, but I’m always going to lean towards patience in hope of establishing some continuity, especially if the franchise doesn’t have a franchise QB. 

Reasonable people can certainly disagree  on whether firing Rivera is the right move. But I'm crediting Tepper for having (and communicating to the fans of the team that he owns) such a clear and well-stated goal for the direction of his franchise. And that's not even getting into the actual merit of that stated direction--and I think it has tons. 

42 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I am sticking to my guns. Callahan is our next coach.   It doesn't take much to look good to our clown front office.

OT I am surprised opposition coaches don't get fired after every one of our wins.  Miami letting us win, aside.

It doesn't matter how this season ends--if Allen/Callahan is the combo they try to sell to this apathetic fanbase this offseason, they are going to be astounded to discover the further depths that attendance and local attention can still sink to. 

A little off topic, but this thought crossed my mind today;

when the Redskins play the Cowboys again, if Dallas continues to struggle, and the Redskins beat them, ol' Jerruh might have a conniption and can Garrett after the game.  Talk about deflation, New England wouldn't have ANYTHING on Dallas!

This season is starting to be very very entertaining, for one reason or another...

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

Tepper is in his 2nd year of ownership.  He could've gotten rid of Rivera last year but decided to give him one more shot.  Well, Rivera failed in that shot; whether it was really his a fault or not.  The coach is the one ultimately judged.  

So Tepper will have his own man in 2020.

7 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The coach is the one ultimately judged.  

Unless you've had 9 failed coaches in 20 years and stuck with 2 losing puppet GMs for a decade each and still can't win 40% of your games despite never actually tanking a season.

Whoever the next coach is, I want them to be competent enough to NOT allow broken coverages in our secondary.  NO other team in the league has the consistent breakdown of coverages like the Redskins.  It’s been years of WIDE open receivers and our DB’s standing with their hands on hips or hands out with no idea how that just happened.....but we are close.....

38 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Panthers won't find a better coach then they had in Rivera... This is all in an effort for Tepper/ownership to do exactly what our FO and ownership do which is meddle in football business, which they know nothing about.

bold strategy...

I don't think this is remotely true. Tepper is a smart guy and was a minority owner of the Steelers for a while, so he's seen how a properly run legacy franchise operates. He's not the meddling type, sometimes you just need a fresh start after 9 years, especially when you're instituting a new vision from the top down as a new owner. Rivera is a good coach and by all accounts a great man. That doesn't mean a fresh start is automatically a bad idea--look at Philly post-Reid, despite some missteps before their SB and despite a poor season this year, I'd say fans overall are happy with the direction of their franchise now, despite Reid being one of the best coaches in the league. 

I think this is a Skins fan understandably projecting our experience with newer ownership onto another situation. But I don't think it applies. 

10 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It doesn't matter how this season ends--if Allen/Callahan is the combo they try to sell to this apathetic fanbase this offseason, they are going to be astounded to discover the further depths that attendance and local attention can still sink to. 

Hopefully, if he's serious about change as is being mooted the media, the two are mutually exclusive and he sees sense and bins Allen. 

Then if this upward progression has continued through the last 4 games, Callahan has earned the gig on a permy basis without Allen hanging over everything. 

Hail. 

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah I do think Callahan is a difficult sell on his own.

But Callahan and Bruce would be wild and I'd be shocked if its not a tandem in the end.  I can't see one surviving without the other.

But to your point, if they run that tandem, Dan likely will see depths of fans checking out that beat even this year.  Don't get me wrong I can see Callahan-Bruce matching what we got for most of Jay's era -- that is, mediocre teams.  But I think too many in the fan base are too checked out to be brought back by a narrative that the 2015-2018 teams were no flukes and they rediscovered the holy grail for mediocrity. 

it seemed to me that rivera would get a lot of positive attention here when the news broke, and i think he'd be a better get for us than i've been expecting

otoh, given the kind of character guy ron is widely reputed to be, i think it'd be fitting if he was offered the job and declined it

Archived