RichmondRedskin88

Next Coach?

There were a couple of things that stood out to me in this article. Bit of a puff piece, but I wouldn't mind Greg Roman.

https://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/51434/greg-romans-wise-cracking-rise-from-high-school-coach-to-ravens-offensive-guru

But then again, he'll probably have much better situations to go to. Even without Allen, about a 3% chance he comes here.

2 hours ago, Bunny Kelly said:

If Dan was to fire Bruce then who does he lean on to pick his replacement? He appointed Gibbs as a fan & Shanahan was the top HC in the NFL when he took over the Redskins, so exciting to someone not at the cutting edge of things, but has he ever been involved in making front office moves?

Dan seems like he has a small circle, would he turn to the likes of Cooley or someone else already there to point him in the direction of where to look.

If Dan really does can Bruce, I believe it's to entice a big name coach.

Everyone wants Dan to hire GM and let the GM hire the coach.  IF that were to really happen, Bruce should be gone already.  Given the competition for available jobs; you want to get a head start.  Waiting until after the season to fire Bruce; you're behind already.  IT will take a while to get a GM and then the GM to find a coach.  By the time that happens; all the best options are probably gone.

So, I don't see Dan hiring a GM first.   He will use the GM opening, to lure a big name coach.  The Coach will be the GM/Coach or that coach will be hired and the coach will pick the GM.  I think what the Raiders did with Gruden, is probably what will happen here.   Dan pays some coach, an obscene amount of money to be coach.  That coach, then hires his own personnel guy/GM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

If Dan fires Bruce, I suspect he will do things backwards as usual.

Meaning he won't hire a real GM and let them really pick the coach. You know, what good organizations do.

He'll go after a "big-name" head coach and promise them full-control, which almost never works but is probably the only way a "big-name' will even entertain the job. So, you know, Mike McCarthy with full control! Just kill me right now.

Or he'll hire another person who has been unable to get another NFL job, hope the fanbase is fooled, and then count on him being another Yes Man who lets Dan play in the sandbox but tells the media he is not. See Cerrato, Bruce Allen. So you know, Louis Riddick.

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 1

Here's a complete off-the-wall suggestion:  Brian Schottenheimer.  Apparently Dan and Marty remained close even after he was fired.  Younger Schotty has done well in Seattle.

31 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Here's a complete off-the-wall suggestion:  Brian Schottenheimer.  Apparently Dan and Marty remained close even after he was fired.  Younger Schotty has done well in Seattle.

No thanks. Russ has been overcoming asinine playcalling for years and not much has really changed with Shotty Jr., who has had plenty of bad stops along the way in his own career where he didn't have Russel Wilson. He's fine, but he's not doing anything innovative. In fact the Seahawks are one of the least analytics-savvy/fluent teams in the league and imo without Russ carrying it all on his shoulders since the demise of that SB defense, they'd be...not good.

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1

In posted this on another thread but it fits here better

I was listening to Adam Caplan who said he's been talking to coaching candidates and their agents for weeks.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if there are 7 openings this year. 

He didn't know if Lincoln Riley enters the NFL but if he did every GM that he knows wants him and he'd be the top candidate.  He also mentioned Rhule (Baylor), Stefanski (Minny), Roman (Baltimore) and Eberflus (colts) as hot candidates from what he can tell.

He said as for the Redskins, Bruce being their hurts, it would help if he's gone.  He said people around the league think that the front office structure is "weird" and you don't know who is in charge.  And it's not an organization that is known for treating their head coaches nicely behind the scenes and people around the league talk about it.

They said the good news is that some of whom he talked to like (albeit don't love) the talent.  They specifically think the defense is talented but is grossly underacheiving.  He said he talked to a coach (I got the impression that it was one of the 2019 coaching prospects so maybe Stefanski?) who faced this defense this year and he told Caplan he cannot understand why a defense with that kind of talent plays that poorly. 

• Like 4

aaaahahaha we ended rivera

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

In posted this on another thread but it fits here better

I was listening to Adam Caplan who said he's been talking to coaching candidates and their agents for weeks.  He said he wouldn't be surprised if there are 7 openings this year. 

He didn't know if Lincoln Riley enters the NFL but if he did every GM that he knows wants him and he'd be the top candidate.  He also mentioned Rhule (Baylor), Stefanski (Minny), Roman (Baltimore) and Eberflus (colts) as hot candidates from what he can tell.

He said as for the Redskins, Bruce being their hurts, it would help if he's gone.  He said people around the league think that the front office structure is "weird" and you don't know who is in charge.  And it's not an organization that is known for treating their head coaches nicely behind the scenes and people around the league talk about it.

They said the good news is that some of whom he talked to like (albeit don't love) the talent.  They specifically think the defense is talented but is grossly underacheiving.  He said he talked to a coach (I got the impression that it was one of the 2019 coaching prospects so maybe Stefanski?) who faced this defense this year and he told Caplan he cannot understand why a defense with that kind of talent plays that poorly. 

Manusky is amazing isnt he

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Look at how Tepper is communicating his intentions to the fanbase. You guys foresee anything like that from Snyder? Nah

Tepper isn't one of the worst owners in sports either...

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Ron Rivera is available 😂

You know how bad we are? So bad that the team we beat immediately fired their head coach from the sheer embarrassment. 😂

On first blush from me, no on Rivera for HC but cool with it as DC but I'll digest it more. I've never put in much time studying Rivera. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On first blush from me, no on Rivera for HC but cool with it as DC but I'll digest it more. I've never put in much time studying Rivera. 

Don't think there is any chance he comes here to only take a job as a DC. I am sure, if he wants, he'll have the opportunity to work as a HC next season. I don't even think we would have a shot to land him as HC if we tried. 

7 minutes ago, Panninho said:

Don't think there is any chance he comes here to only take a job as a DC. I am sure, if he wants, he'll have the opportunity to work as a HC next season. I don't even think we would have a shot to land him as HC if we tried. 

Could be so.  Rivera always struck me ok but not someone I'd kill to be have as HC.  Having said that I haven't paid a ton of attention to Carolina.  On first blush I wouldn't hate it and also wouldn't love it.  But agree if he or any HC has a market, this will be on the bottom of most the candidate's lists unless Dan really overpays.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

If we beat the Packers then Callahan should have a shot....if we win out the rest of the season then he should get the job 100%.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

Question would be, do you hire Rivera now to start coaching after season ends? If that is your preference of course......I don't know enough about him to say yes.

Urban Meyer with Alex Smith in the John lynch role as a friendly GM?

I think smith would like to play again but if Haskins shows enough then I think he is smart enough to know he isn’t getting a chance anywhere so better off retiring?

24 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

If we beat the Packers then Callahan should have a shot....if we win out the rest of the season then he should get the job 100%.

Be careful what you wish for, might jus get it

38 minutes ago, Poindexter said:

**** no.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

We could do whole lot worse than Ron Rivera.

I’ll throw my hat in the ring for Rivera. Might be a good play to right the ship.

Unfortunately, we are not a destination gig. Lots of openings I think this year. Not sure we will like who we’re dancing with when the music stops.

• Like 2