Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

On 11/8/2019 at 7:52 PM, Thinking Skins said:

Its not about what I want so to speak, its about whats more likely. We had a chance at Russell Wilson, but chose Cousins. One is a guy who can be an NFL MVP and put a team on his back, the other isn't. But if we have a QB who's not an NFL MVP, what do we do to get a winning season?  I'm just saying that if we're playing a QB who's not top 10, why should we expect them to carry the team? Its not like a Brunell, or a Keenum or a Cousins or a Smith or a Brad Johnson or a <insert random  middle of the pack QB here> can't win games, its that I want to win while we have them at QB and not just have a tank for whoever the next great college QB is philosophy. 

Maybe I'm being defeatist, I never self-analyzed to that level. I just see it as putting together a gameplan based on what we have (and what we're likely to have), and I can see a much more feasible situation where say we lose AP, Guice and Love, but pull a RB off the street and he's getting us 100 yards than us losing Smith, McCoy and Sanchez and still being able to throw the ball.

So then it gets to injuries aside and we say, what do I need to make Haskins a good QB. Maybe he'll be a Rodgers and set the league on fire. But should I expect that? I wouldn't. So I'd say what's the best environment for him to become comfortable as a passer? I'm probably going to do something like Pitt did with Roethlisberger and Bettis, and lean on Bettis and Willie Parker until I know that Haskins can carry the load. 

Edit: @Skinsinparadise, just so you know. i'm not trying to be dismissive or rude in my replies. This board has been so negative lately that this is actually a breath of fresh air when compared to all the Trent / Haskins is or is not a bust / leaks / real vs fake fans stuff. 

We wanted Russell Wilson, but Seattle drafted him in the 3rd round, so we ended up taking Kirk Cousins in the 4th.  It's not that we chose Kirk over Russ. 

On 11/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, sportjunkie07 said:

I feel like Alex Smith will be coaching for us at some point. I wouldn’t hate it either.

I agree, I like the idea of Smith being involved in the organization in some capacity, everybody around the league speaks so highly of him. Mahomes loves him and gives him a ton of credit for his success. I read an article the other day how Haskins says he's blessed to have him as a teammate and that he's one of the best people he's ever been around, both professionally and personally. 

A lot of people talk about Peyton Manning as a potential team president for an NFL team. What about Smith? I could definitely see him as a team president of an NFL team at some point. Smart guy, ton of football knowledge and has big time respect throughout the league from players, coaches and owners. This might be the guy we don't want to let get out of the building once he officially retires.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Hire Greg Roman as HC? Solves #2 and #3.

I have no idea if he’d be a good HC.  Just that it would solve both of the issues above. 

After another unstoppable showing tonight, I don't see how roman isn't the top head coaching candidate.  A lot of no names on that offense, but he has them clicking, and has totally elevated LJs game.  Send Redskins One over, make the reservation at mortons, and do everything you can to reel him in.

25 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Seems like there are likely 3 new coaches in the NFCE next year.  Skins, Cowboys and Giants who are rumored to want Garrett.

They are stupid.  The Cowboys have enough talent to win a Superbowl but Garrett is holding them back.  The Giants want a puppet?

I bet you Baltimore is glad Jason didn't end up with them.

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Seems like there are likely 3 new coaches in the NFCE next year.  Skins, Cowboys and Giants who are rumored to want Garrett.

Cowboys might include IF I think if they do go with another HC to hire w/in by hiring their current OC to be their HC.  Hard to say about the Giants.  Shurmer to me has never been HC material.  I've seen a lot of people on other forums say that Bowles would be a good hired for HC in DC but I think he showed his talents of not being HC material in NY.  It will be an interesting offseason in the NFC East.  I could see both Garrett and Shurmer staying, especially Shurmer since he has had only 1 season with Jones.  I just hope that Allen is moved out of his position of control and we get either Kyle Smith as GM or a very good GM and let them pick the next HC and let the HC pick his staff.  With Snyder in control and more that likely keeping Allen things will very much stay the same.

20 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Cowboys might include IF I think if they do go with another HC to hire w/in by hiring their current OC to be their HC.  Hard to say about the Giants.  Shurmer to me has never been HC material.  I've seen a lot of people on other forums say that Bowles would be a good hired for HC in DC but I think he showed his talents of not being HC material in NY.  It will be an interesting offseason in the NFC East.  I could see both Garrett and Shurmer staying, especially Shurmer since he has had only 1 season with Jones.  I just hope that Allen is moved out of his position of control and we get either Kyle Smith as GM or a very good GM and let them pick the next HC and let the HC pick his staff.  With Snyder in control and more that likely keeping Allen things will very much stay the same.

I disagree. Garrett is done.  Jerry wants a Superbowl before he dies. He won't get it, with Jason as head coach.  Jason coaches his last game either in 5 weeks or in the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I disagree. Garrett is done.  Jerry wants a Superbowl before he dies. He won't get it, with Jason as head coach.  Jason coaches his last game either in 5 weeks or in the playoffs.

Like I said it's possible their use to be backup QB and now OC may get the gig.  We shall see.

56 minutes ago, redskindan07 said:

If Garrett were to come to DC as the Head Coach I may finally check out...

I doubt it would be Garrett, due to his Cowboy connections. One of the reasons Snyder didn't like Norv Turner was because of that too. It's sad in retrospect that Norv Turner was actually the most successful coach during Snyder's tenure, winning percentage-wise.

My money (and your money, too) is on Callahan. Because why not? He's won 200% more games than Gruden did this year. Just imagine how much better we'll be when Alex Smith is under center again and Trent Williams is back at LT (with a reduced salary, of course.) !

In all seriousness...it will be Callahan. Who else will come here? Certainly none of the 'established' names that Snyder would want. He won't hire another up-and-comer because that's what Gruden was. ("We already tried that, now we need to go back to the Big Splash guys...anyone have Russ Grimm's phone number?")

Unless...he gets one of the retreads who no one else will hire: Jeff Fisher, Rex Ryan, Jim Fassel, Mike Munchak, Mike McCarthy.

12 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

After another unstoppable showing tonight, I don't see how roman isn't the top head coaching candidate.  A lot of no names on that offense, but he has them clicking, and has totally elevated LJs game.  Send Redskins One over, make the reservation at mortons, and do everything you can to reel him in.

Jackson's offensive teammates are far from no names. 

1 hour ago, Berggy9598 said:

Jackson's offensive teammates are far from no names. 

There are some talented players like Hollywood brown , Marshall yanda, and Mark Ingram.  Obviously Lamar Jackson.  But also starting you have a 3rd round rookie miles boykin at wr, Bradley Bozeman, matt skura, orlando brown, and mark Andrews starting for them.  That lineup, on paper, is a bit underwhelming when you compare it to the production they have generated.

My point being: Greg roman has done a great job getting the most out of what he has to work with.  Do you feel any of those names above are very special?  Even mark ingram, he is not a top 10 rb in this league, although his stats may seem it.  

I don't see the individuals on that side of the ball as anything special individually, but collectively, they are special.  Roman deserves credit for that.  Did anyone expect Lamar Jackson to be playing at this level in year 2?  Credit to roman on that one too.  

In contrast, look at the browns.  Mayfield was coming on strong last year, they have odb, Landry, Chubb several well regarded olineman etc.  You could very well make a case the browns have more talent than the ravens, yet look at the production.  A big part of that is Lamar is superior to Mayfield, but doesn't roman deserve credit for that aspect.  

Take that same ravens starting lineup, and let Bill Callahan and KOC run the offense.  What do you think you would get?

I give A TON of credit to roman for the success of that offense, and this is not the first situation he has had success at the NFL level, and I think its a no brainer he is the guy we should be targeting.

10 hours ago, markmills67 said:

It Wouldn't surprise me if Garrett goes straight from the Cowboys HC to being the Redskins HC, nothing would surprise me with Abbot and Costello (sorry Snyder and Allen) running the Garden Fate(sorry the Redskins franchise). 

ALLEN OUT 

ALLEN OUT 

ALLEN OUT 

HTTR 

How dare you insult Abbot and Costello like that.  😀

This morning on the Junkies, Joe T. said over and over that he wasn't involved in any of the front office stuff yet close to Dan Snyder.  Yea right, but in his opinion he said had to get a true GM to run things before they got a head coach.  He also said Snyder was well aware of the "fan fatigue" and issues from losing.

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

This morning on the Junkies, Joe T. said over and over that he wasn't involved in any of the front office stuff yet close to Dan Snyder.  Yea right, but in his opinion he said had to get a true GM to run things before they got a head coach.  He also said Snyder was well aware of the "fan fatigue" and issues from losing.

Hope so.  Russell also said that he heard Dan is aware that fans are upset.  It's amazing its even a question where we'd have to wonder.  If that's true I gather one wildcard in play, Bruce convincing Dan "they are close with the stadium".  I know a little about the process of a stadium and I don't think it would be hard for Bruce to convince Dan that the wheels are in motion and if he pulls out of it now then they have to start over from scratch.  Personally I think that's BS.  But I can see Bruce successfully working that angle with Dan.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope so.  Russell also said that he heard Dan is aware that fans are upset.  It's amazing its even a question where we'd have to wonder.  If that's true I gather one wildcard in play, Bruce convincing Dan "they are close with the stadium".  I know a little about the process of a stadium and I don't think it would be hard for Bruce to convince Dan that the wheels are in motion and if he pulls out of it now then they have to start over from scratch.  Personally I think that's BS.  But I can see Bruce successfully working that angle with Dan.

This would be the play of the century.

Convincing a billionaire that construction of his hotly anticipated stadium is close while filling him up with nothing but hot air.

Even Snyder must have some realistic time-frame for that to happen.  Bruce can't keep his job forever while delivering a crap product for years.

Hope I still have my sanity after they get what they want, because it's clear good football ain't it.

Archived