Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

They need to hire a coach that never won anywhere and got fired from his last job a few years ago in order to fit in with the rest of the clowns running the team all the way up to the owner.

Nobody wanted or currently wants àny of Dan, Bruce, or Doug so why not get a comparable coach to complete the set?

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Honestly...

It REALLY doesn't matter. I understand the point of the thread. And I get it's fun to look at this stuff and can't fault anyone who does.

But it doesn't matter at all who is hired until the base of the pyramid is fixed.

People tend to think of the org. as a pyramid with the top being the front office/executive level... But that's the base. Players/coaches are more towards the top. A crack in the top and you can still succeed. A crack in the structure brings the whole pyramid down. 

Our pyramid is falling.

100%

Successful organizations NEED an engaged executive. Furthermore, they need an engaged executive, who is a good organization builder. This is why we ware in such a tough spot. People say that Dan needs to stay out of everything, but without our leader being engaged, how can we have a successful organization? The chief executive (to use a cliche) "sets the tone". He or she is the person who stamps the organization in their image. In this case, the executive has created an organization that is seen as classless, cheap, doesn't make a superior product, will cut corners and short the consumer at every turn. The free market would normally sort this out for us, but the NFL is unique in that regard. We're stuck with a shaky base to our pyramid.

While X's and O's can be debated, it isn't the root problem.

1 hour ago, Stadium-Armory said:

100%

Successful organizations NEED an engaged executive. Furthermore, they need an engaged executive, who is a good organization builder. This is why we ware in such a tough spot. People say that Dan needs to stay out of everything, but without our leader being engaged, how can we have a successful organization? 

Then maybe the message should be that Dan needs to be an absentee owner and stop being an executive. Be the chairman instead of the CEO.

16 hours ago, Monk4thaHALL said:

The correct answer is "it doesn't matter," as long as Dan is around and/or Bruce. 

That said, I don't know where my 'wanted coaches' list is, but off the top of my head:

The Dartmouth Head Coach, Buddy Teevens. In all reality he wouldn't want to come here anyway and I also don't think he'd have the temperament for the corporate NFL world as a HC. When I think of him it's more as an offensive coordinator, consultant, macro design stuff. His implementation of modern practicing techniques with the robotic tackling dummies and no human tackling is something some NFL teams have already implemented. He also uses analytics for playcalling and strategy on gameday, what a notion.

Dan Enos, as a likely HC candidate. He's an offensive coach. I don't want to write the synopsis here, you should know his name. 

There's James Franklin, who at least has a plan (unlike Dan) and it's written down in a book. Even though his temperament seems like a young version of Marty Schott to me, but whatever. To me he seems like the kind of HC who sees the big picture and like to delegate responsibility to his coordinators and just manage through a traditional, rigid, hierarchy, which suits the NFL to a T. 

Dan Campbell from the Saints is another name I keep reading about. I'd be interested in interviewing him to see what he's like, what he brings to the table. 

There was a group of former Georgia coaches who went off to Colorado State some years ago. I was impressed with the o-line coach from that group. Can't remember his name now. Think it was Will Friend. Friend is now at tennessee. But honestly I don't know if Mike Bobo was the true genius of the group, he's the HC at CSU. 

Along that note of o-line coaches: Sam Pittman who is at UGA right now and Butch Barry, wherever the hell he is now, are two o-line coaches who have stood out to me over the years. 

There's the ubiquitous Dave Toub mention for HC that never happens and probably never will. 

Mike Mularkey is back in the game as a positional coach and could easily be a OC coordinator in the next year (offensive coach). 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Kurt Roper as an OC candidate, or as QBs coach, or as passing game coordinator. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Ron Middleton for Special Teams coordinator, or as TEs coach, or as passing game coordinator. 

There was some old geezer from the Patriots org who could be a great Special Teams coordinator, but I've forgotten his name and he's old as dirt anyway. 

Defensively, I've got Geoff Collins name written on a list from 2015/16. He's a HC at georgia tech. At one time you could have gotten him after he left Temple. I guess you'd have to interview him from HC but I'd be inclined for that to be just for DCoordinator. 

I wouldn't mind interviewing Wesley McGriff as DBs/Secondary coach. 

There's got to be a collegiate DC from one of the mega programs (bama, clemson, SEC, ACC, Big 10) that has spent their whole life playing against Spread and Air raid who would be as qualified as any old fart from the NFL. Insert their name here: .....................................................

I wouldn't mind plundering Will McClay and Lionel Vital from the Cowboys as GM candidates. 

Really?? I’m after Kellen Moore or Bienimey

Snyder will hire the coach first and the general manager- - of course this method is logically ass backwards.    For the head coach, he will talk to Mike McCarthy and Jim Harbaugh. If he can get away with it he will keep Kevin as the offensive coordinator.  If the veteran coaches turn him down then do not be surprised if he goes back to our offensive coordinator.

For General Manager he will ask Joe Gibbs and Pepper Rodgers for advice on who to hire.  He will bring in Vinny Cerato to write down the names of all the recommendations for both Head Coach and General Manager.  He will then have to decide how to keep the Prince of Darkness on the payroll so he will create a new job title for him like "Trusted Advisor".  He needs Allen to convince some dumb politician in DC, VA or MD to give him the land to build a new stadium and pay all of the transportation infrastructure bills.

Once the stadium gets done he will add a bowling alley to his yacht since he already has the IMAX theater on the yacht.

57 minutes ago, illone said:

They said the same of McVay and I think most fans would rather have SM than JG lol.

Boy Wonder had some serious cred and a track record. O'Connell hasn't done anything to warrant being considered as a HC. I'm not saying the guy is no good, I just don't get the hype. Is it because he's young and you want to be able to say that you (not you specifically @illone) were behind hiring the next McVay, if he becomes the next McVay? Or is it simply because he has the title offensive coordinator (even though he's not calling any plays, of course)? Like Keim said, let him show something to demonstrate what he can do and what he can handle at this level.....consistently, and then we can talk. Dude wasn't a coordinator before being hired with the Skins, and he only spent about 35 minutes with each of the 2 teams where he was on staff. I say "on staff" instead of "coached" because his 2016 hire in SF was nothing but a favor. He didn't do diddly squat there. What was his title? What did he coordinate? Oh, that's right, his official title was "special projects". He was an asterix on that staff. Talk to the people who were there and ask them what his role was; it's laughable. Before that, he was QB coach in Cleveland because they were having a hard time getting people to join Pettine's staff since it was clear he was gonna get fired at the end of the season anyway. Sound familiar? Come on people. Don't let the team market its snake oil. O'Connell is fool's gold, and the only reason he's on this staff is because Morocco Brown made a phone call to Ashburn (not to Jay's office, either) and recommended O'Connell. You'll be able to connect the dots soon. They like Brown. Wouldn't be surprised if he's back at some point.

21 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

It seems pretty inevitable that Gruden is getting the boot. So where should we go for our next coach?  Feel free to suggest coordinators and asst coaches.

I’d throw the bank at Dabo Swinney and see if he would go for it. I doubt it but worth a shot. Players would jump through a fire for him.

Jay will be replaced by the boot...I'd like to introduce the next head coach of your Washington Redskins, Alex Smith.

You dont hire a defensive coach in today's nfl as a head coach...cause the offensive coordinator if productive will get a head coaching gig and may ruin the offense you built.

You dont hire a defensive coach in today's nfl as a head coach...cause the offensive coordinator if productive will get a head coaching gig and may ruin the offense you built.

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Boy Wonder had some serious cred and a track record. O'Connell hasn't done anything to warrant being considered as a HC. I'm not saying the guy is no good, I just don't get the hype. Is it because he's young and you want to be able to say that you (not you specifically @illone) were behind hiring the next McVay, if he becomes the next McVay? 

It's definitely a reach I'm just over here throwing darts at a dart board like everyone else.  He definitely doesn't have the same swagger as McVay but part of me hopes the team doesn't make the same mistake again.  Letting McVay walk was a colossal mistake he should have been elevated and Gruden fired or offered the waterboy role.

I dont care about being right anymore, Im old.  I just want to be proud of the Skins again cuz right now Sundays are not fun.

Archived