RichmondRedskin88

Next Coach?

7 hours ago, bowhunter said:

That above stat from 2014 makes me think differently, (ranked #22) with Kaep under Roman. Plus, I HATE Kaeps message more than I dislike Bruce (and that's a lot)

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree. Police should be allowed to illegally kill black men. Amirite? Gtfo with that BS. 

Like an onion article "team with racist name doesn't like QB bringing awareness to police brutality on minorities".

They only started forcing the players to come out for it because the military pays the league.

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Yeah, Kap really gives a crap about that message, so much so he supports brutal cuban dictators like a POS, and sells out his fellows in the cause.

There are real people doing real work in the area, but it isnt Colin Kaepernick, hes absolute scum. He accepted a settlement from the NFL because money is more important to him than any cause, but hes gotten people to buy into that as the lowest of the low. 

No politics in the Stadium, fellas. Take it to the Tailgate. 

• Like 2

Maybe Matt Cavanaugh might just be the perfect coach to run the program until Bruce is gone.  He is  level headed, calm, very organized, and has a ton of experience both as a coach and player.  The question is...do him and Bruce get along.  

....The one-win 2017 season didn’t help. Some players pushed back against Rhule’s hard-charging mentality and his physical practices, the opposite of his predecessor. “Our old coach had a certain way. It worked and we won,” says Taylor Young, a senior linebacker at BU in 2017 who’s now a support staff member for Rhule. “Coach Rhule came in and his way was completely different. We hit a lot more. Some guys didn’t like that.” Young became Rhule’s messenger during that turbulent year, disseminating his message among the troops, “the glue” that held the team together, says Rhule. Ironically, Young was one of the players who had to be convinced into staying when Rhule initially took over. Everyone knew what was coming during 2017: lots of losing. When McGuire accepted the job, Rhule warned him, “This is fixin' to be the toughest year of your life.”

What makes Rhule successful is his relationship-building tactics and motivational methods, staff members say. He demands that his assistants form tight bonds with the players. He’s so committed to it that he had Baylor’s new players lounge built directly across the hall from the staff’s offices. Through its glass walls, Rhule can been seen at times playing ping-pong with his players. “One thing about coach, he wants you to be a part of their lives academically and socially,” says McGuire. “If he knows something before you know something about one of your kids, he feels like you’re not putting enough time in to get to know the guys.” Throughout Baylor’s football facility, flyers hang on the walls reminding players of their focus for that week. The upcoming opponent’s logo is alongside three characters in black bold font: 1–0. By the time players return to the facility after the game Saturday night or Sunday, new flyers are hung featuring the logo of the next opponent.

Rhule’s program isn’t built on Xs and Os or any kind of elaborate schemes. In a way, he views that as a positive. He’s one of the rare coaches to have spent significant time during his career as an assistant on both sides of the ball. He’s coached the defensive line and he’s coached the offensive line. He’s coached quarterbacks and he’s coached linebackers. It makes him more well rounded than most head coaches, many of them offensive savants of sorts. “The players on the team feel like I’m the head coach, not an offensive head coach,” he says. “That can breed contempt.”

Bell calls Rhule the “smartest man I’ve ever been around.” Rhule shakes off the compliment. He views himself as a fixer. He took over a Temple program that had won one conference or division title in the previous 45 years and won two in four years. With the Owls, he went 2–10, 6–6 and had back-to-back 10-win seasons. He’s on a similar trajectory here: 1–11, 7–6, 4–0 so far this year. The school rewarded him this fall with a four-year contract extension through the 2027 season, a deal that likely came with a salary boost (As a private institution, BU does not disclose financial terms). Will he be here that long or leave to fix another spot? That includes an NFL franchise. He’s on the league’s radar. In fact, if Rhule was willing to let the New York Jets last year pick his staff, he’d likely be their head coach now, according to multiple reports, including those from Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

At this point, I am going to be very suspect of anyone willing to take the job.  After 20 years of Snyder, the Skins job has to be considered in the bottom quartile of NFL HC jobs if not the worst.  Depending on how it goes for Haskins down the stretch this year the Skins job might also include the hopeless task of turning a sow's ear into a silk purse.  

I don't know what we got in Haskins but given what I've seen I don't expect him to fully blossom into a quality starter by years end.  At best he'll be a 2020 work in progress and the new coach is probably going to be one who is willing to take on the risk and responsibility task of nurturing Haskins into a winner.  Gruden signed on to fixing Griffin but was lucky to find Cousins on the roster to help him save his job for a few years, the new guy isn't going to be so lucky.  So the Skins are going to have to find a guy who is willing to work for Daniel Snyder, remediate/develop Haskins and take on the roster that Bruce and company have assembled in Ashburn.  All the winners in the coaching field are going to line up for this plum assignment:

Image result for clowns in a line

Edited by Veryoldschool
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, Thinking Skins said:

But its ok if you disagree. I just hope KOC doesn't hate the running game as much as Gruden did, and can build a better system than Gruden

I was thinking more about KOC's philosophy and was reading up on him today. Here's an article from redskins.com: https://www.redskins.com/news/rapid-rise--kevin-oconnell-redskins-offensive-coordinator

1. I forgot that he was the passing game coordinator last year. Thats significant because our passing game was HORRIBLE last year. People blame Smith but how much of that was KOC's new role and maybe him not being good at it. 

2. Piggy-backing off that, how much of last year's famed 6-3 start was due to Cal vs Gruden and KOC? We know that the running game (and defense) were doing the work. 

“Being a coordinator in my opinion, it’s about putting the people, your personnel, in situations where they can be successful,” he said. “Ninety percent of that in my opinion is the quarterback, and if the quarterback has success, the other ten guys around him if they’re doing their job will feel that success as well.”

Now, that's not too exciting. I mean he is a former QB, but hearing/reading those words and it doesn't seem like something Cal would say. I mean its kinda the @skinsinparadise vs me conversation from earlier and it seems like he is more of the run the system through his QB rather than just having his QB as a kog in the wheel. So if the qb struggles (like this year) how much does his philosophy stretch and say lets run the ball more to help him out of that slump? 

“One of the things that I enjoyed about Alex [Smith], and really Colt [McCoy], was when we came out of Richmond with those two in the room, you really felt like Colt knew how we would play the game without Alex, and could step into that role and play that role,” O’Connell said. “Every coaching point Alex got, Colt got. We felt like we could maintain that, but you lose Colt and you’ve got two guys coming in that have not been a part of the organization.”

Again not really anything too surprising here but he doesn't seem to have the venom towards Colt that Cal has. 

O’Connell entered the NFL after being selected by the Patriots with their third-round selection in 2008, and he credits his relationship with Patriots offensive mind Josh McDaniels to developing his knowledge of the game.

“I’m still very close to Josh McDaniels, who was obviously a huge reason why I got drafted there,” O’Connell said. “He was the quarterbacks coach and coordinator at the time, obviously Tom Brady being there, being around him for a year and a half, almost two years -- it’s not by accident the players that go through there try to emulate what he does.

Now this I like (maybe). McDaniels and Weis are the two architects behind the Patriots offensive system and getting so much out of Brady, and other QBs. But again, the philosophy seems very QB dependent, and the running games are more extensions of the passing game than things that the team relies on. McDaniels was able to build something decent in Denver until it collapsed on his ego (with Kyle Orton nonetheless, a decent but not all pro QB). I wonder if KOC can repeat some of this without the ego problems. 

Ok, so these are his responsibilities and its interesting here because this is exactly the area where we're failing the most this season. I guess people like Galdi will say that we're too predictable on first down, creating these second and third and longs, but if KOC's responsibilities haven't changed this is a problem. So I have to wonder, is he seeing the right patterns? Is he seeing how to attack a defense? Is he reading the mismatches correctly? 

I have more from the article but I found this stuff interesting. He talks about Haskins and I'm still trying to marry the offseason stuff (hype) about him with the early season stuff and then with the stuff the past two weeks. But I wonder how much a role KOC has had in all of this, particularly if Haskins has felt unimportant or whatever. 

As the offensive coordinator, O’Connell will now have “more freedom to do more X’s and O’s and more game planning,” head coach Jay Gruden said. For the first time in his career, O’Connell will analyze the offense with a much broader perspective.

“During the week, instead of putting tape together for Case Keenum and Colt McCoy as far as what to see on first and second down, he’s looking at how to put in the plays for third down and schematically, the best ways to attack the defense,” Gruden said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/07/23/nfl-teams-hunt-next-sean-mcvay-redskins-may-have-one-kevin-oconnell/

Thats another KOC article. This one is more about his positives and his rise to being a coach. 

- mentions a quote from Pettine, calling him a Parcells "smart guy with great communication skills"

- mentions the Patriots "culture" where "everything sun up to sun down you are preparing yourself to be the best possible player"

- after he was cut from the Patriots, he's claimed by the Jets. In meetings he goes over Patriots film with Rex Ryan and points out things that Ryan hadn't even noticed. So Ryan gave more tape and got more insight. 

- he "learned to watch film like Brady"

- career ended on a torn labrum (was wondering why he played such a short time myself)

- having worked for Cleveland with Manzel, this is an interesting quote “Sometimes people think the chaos finds its way into the building and into the position rooms, but it doesn’t,” O’Connell says. “I wanted to do everything as a young coach to make sure our [quarterback] room was going to be the reason our team had a good practice. It works on some days, and on others there are learning experiences along the way. But with all the experiences I had that made me part of who I am today … it’s what I’ve accumulated in the last four or five years to say I feel like I’m ready for this opportunity.”

- this article makes him seem more humble. Gives a quote about the honor of possibly being a coach but kinda balances that with the challenge of leading a bunch of alpha males. 

This article, particularly the quotes from Pettine (who I would love as a coordinator) and Ryan impress me more than my own skepticism about him. 

Think I've stated I like Bienemy as our new HC but have to think with Allen probably being retained, Allen goes through the motions like he did with Gruden and knows he's hiring KOC as HC.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Rob Ryan and new DC, which would be a huge mistake.  Now, if Rex was hired as DC that would be a different story but I don't see Rex accepting a DC position and if he did he'd probably be gone in a couple years if he got a HC offer and we'd be stuck with brother Rob, which doesn't have a good record as a DC. 

Also keep an eye on Jim O'Neil who is currently the DB coach of the Raiders.  He has ties with KOC when KOC was a player and was coaching in San Fran and also Cleveland when O'Neil was the DC in both cities.

Edited by RWJ

So, the skins are supposed to start the coaching search in December right? Or at least that’s what was reported. 

Any idea if we hear any rumors at all before the end of the season?

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already, but heard a lot of talk yesterday about Gregg Williams. The talk on the radio shows here was that he has been in "constant" contact with Dan Snyder. That was the word used. "Constant." The talk is that his beef with Snyder, whatever that was, has been "repaired." Wouldn't at all be surprised if he ends up here next season.

Rhule would get me to pay attention at least.

But like most good candidates, I think he is too smart to come be the latest log added to a never-ending dumpster fire. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2019 at 5:19 PM, Koolblue13 said:

Hire Roman, Draft Tua, win games.

Especially if Love and Guise both pan out.

Hire Roman, Draft Tua....uh oh. 

Plan B:

Hire Roman, sign Kaepernick, draft Chase Young......win games. 

Just now, kingdaddy said:

Plan B:

BTW, I wonder how Kaep would feel about playing for a team named the "Redskins"?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

I haven't read this whole thread, so apologies if this has been discussed already, but heard a lot of talk yesterday about Gregg Williams. The talk on the radio shows here was that he has been in "constant" contact with Dan Snyder. That was the word used. "Constant." The talk is that his beef with Snyder, whatever that was, has been "repaired." Wouldn't at all be surprised if he ends up here next season.

I could live with Greg Williams.  Sure theres some baggage that comes along with him but he would at least upgrade our defense.  

10 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I could live with Greg Williams.  Sure theres some baggage that comes along with him but he would at least upgrade our defense.  

I would love to have Gregg (don't forget the second "g"!). He showed last year that when you pair him a good offensive mind, positive results can happen. This can be KOC if Callahan stops making him run the ball every first and second down (given that he has coached under Jay for a number of years, I honestly feel that what we saw in the 4th Q is more how he'd call a game)

Make Kyle the GM and give Gregg final say on personnel decisions if needed

I’d think KOC has the inside track because we don’t want to let another bright mind leave the building. Rhule sounds really intriguing though. I just hope to God Dan sees the error of his ways and fires Brucey boy. The day after the season. Bring in a qualified GM and let him do his thing from the ground up. 

This may sound naive, but I don't want a college coach to fix this. I don't think this is an easy situation to come in and fix. I would like somebody who has a reputation at the NFL level.  Bring me a coordinator again. There is so much track record of college coaches coming in and failing, especially ones with little NFL experience. My top guy is either Roman (the Baltimore OC) or Leslie Frazier, Martindale from the Ravens, Dean Pees from Tennessee, Bieniemy. Those are the top of my list and honestly thats just based on some of their lineage instead of the coaches themselves. But I'd want somebody from a winning organization or with a history of winning and doing well with this

49 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This may sound naive, but I don't want a college coach to fix this. I don't think this is an easy situation to come in and fix. I would like somebody who has a reputation at the NFL level.  Bring me a coordinator again. There is so much track record of college coaches coming in and failing, especially ones with little NFL experience. My top guy is either Roman (the Baltimore OC) or Leslie Frazier, Martindale from the Ravens, Dean Pees from Tennessee, Bieniemy. Those are the top of my list and honestly thats just based on some of their lineage instead of the coaches themselves. But I'd want somebody from a winning organization or with a history of winning and doing well with this

I like that list. I'm high on Frazier if we go defense minded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

Plan B:

BTW, I wonder how Kaep would feel about playing for a team named the "Redskins"?????

Replace Tua with Jalen Hurts.

Great name for a mobile Redskins QB.

3 hours ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

The two guys I go back and forth is Gregg and Rex Ryan.  I can be talked into them or talked out of them depending on the day.

I think they are both really good X and O's guys and I like that they both bring fire.  I have concerns about them, too.  Bowles to me is also a good X and O's guy but brings no fire among other things (bad at clock management, mounting comebacks, etc) so I don't want him as HC.  So am guessing that means he ends up the guy.  :(

Another one who intrigues me is Kris Richards.  Seattle and then Dallas.  Supposedly very smart and an energetic-motivator type.   I get everyone brings up Belichick as an example that you don't need a coach with personality or cares about motivation but I've read multiple books about him -- he's obsessed with motivational stuff, he just does it like Machiavelli -- he knows how to use fear.  

Kris Richard Will Bring the 'Boom' When He Finally Gets a Head Coaching Shot

MIKE TANIERJANUARY 22, 2019

Editor's note: This is the third installment in B/R's "Next Belichick?" series, which profiles some of the top up-and-coming coaches. You'll get to know more about the following coaches in the coming weeks:

Part 1: Kliff Kingsbury

Part 2: Eric Bieniemy

Part 3: Kris Richard

Part 4: Josh McDaniels

But Richard isn't all that traditional.

"Calmer heads prevail," Richard said a few days after the incident. "And I am very hard on our guys."

"I coach them hard. And in light of those situations right there, maybe I need to calm down."

Richard has a reputation for being about as fiery and competitive as Sherman. Calming down and easing off can look like backing down or giving up after a mini-revolt on the sideline. It takes confidence in your authority to not exercise it when the eyes of the NFL world are on your sideline and locker room. Richard took both the defensive mistakes and his polarizing superstar's outburst upon himself.

Richard's bomb disposal tactic worked.

Wagner and other veterans simmered Sherman down, somewhat, as the game progressed. The Seahawks hung on to beat the Falcons. The team stuck together, reached the postseason, won a playoff game. There were other Mount Sherman eruptions that year, but the Seahawks found the fine line between aggressiveness and recklessness, finishing among the five best in the league in points and yards allowed for a fifth consecutive year.

Head coach Pete Carroll received most of the credit for the success. Sherman dominated the midday hot takes. The Legion reinforced its ranking on the lists of all-time great defenses.

Kris Richard somehow faded from the story.

In Richard's secondary, Byron Jones went from being a misplaced safety with injury issues to a Pro Bowl cornerback. A trio of second-year players (Chidobe Awuzie, Xavier Woods, Jourdan Lewis) all grew up at once. Anthony Brown became one of the league's best slot defenders.

With Richard calling the signals, the Cowboys defense held Drew Brees and the Saints to 111 passing yards in Week 13 and five other opponents under 200 passing yards in the regular season, spurring a late-season surge that propelled the team into the second round of the playoffs.

It looks like Richard is building an all-new mini-Legion in Dallas. And Marinelli has been quick to give him credit for it, calling Richard the Cowboys' "best pick" of the season in December.

"Everything he does I admire," Marinelli said of Richard, per Clarence E. Hill Jr. of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "The loyalty, the work ethic, the intelligence, the teaching, the inspiring—it's special. It's fun to come to work every day when you are around good people. He's a special coach."

Richard began appearing on top-candidate lists for head coaching jobs as the Cowboys rose through the standings. He interviewed with the Jets, Buccaneers and Dolphins in early January.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2815769-kris-richard-will-bring-the-boom-when-he-finally-gets-a-head-coaching-shot

• Like 1

I'm not advocating for this Marvin Lewis thing but interesting tidbit about the Riddick connection. I want BA out and the new GM to pick his coach!

Edited by HigSkin

A lot of good info in here, thanks to all.  

I'm really hoping they bring in an offensive guy as head coach.  As someone pointed out, hot shot offensive coordinators are hard to retain, and it seems offensive guys are usually the ones with the game changing, innovative hype, more so than defensive guys.

Also, I feel our defense would make an instant improvement if we brought in just an average coordinator, never mind elite.  Just average would be nice.  We've been stuck with manusky, Barry, and Haslett for a decade.  That's a big reason we've been terrible on that side of the ball, but we've got a good young nucleus on our dline.  Add a few more pieces and a better coordinator and we are on the right track.

On the other hand, our offense is light years away from respectability.  The numbers with Romans QBs with and without him are amazing.  Joe brady is a guy who could lead a team for decades due to his age and success.  Knowing we have a high pick that our offensive guy could choose his QB of the future is very intriguing.  (Although i still think we should go Chase young if he is available).  Regardless, I hope offensive guy is the way they go.

• Like 1

Why not 'Passion Fingers' Snyder himself as HC?  Afterall, he's ****ed up everything team related so he may as well **** up what's left!

After 1 season, he'll see the error of his ways, listen to the fans (that are left) and hire people who do the job and not have to put up with Snyder butting in.  He may be the owner but he sure as hell doesn't know anything about football!

• Like 1