Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Coach?

RichmondRedskin88

I’m most interested to see how Callahan and O’Connell do to finish out the year. I don’t expect them to turn a turd into gold but it may also be a good combo build on for this desperate organization going forward. Maybe Callahan becomes the assistant head coach again and O’Connell takes over. If that were to happen I think Rex Ryan would be an excellent DC to pair with O’Connell, if he were willing to be a coordinator again. Then if they would put Kyle Smith at GM and Shaffer in charge of football operations or something to that effect and put Allen out to pasture, that would be a fine solution to try out going forward. No legit outside coach will want to try and build a program here.

I'm not in on Tomlin at all. Say what you want about AB and Le'Veon, but neither one was a so called bad teammate early on during their time with the Steelers. Tomlin allowed whatever he allowed over time to fester. AB was absolutely wrong for doing all of what he did and Le'Veon just wanted to get paid. But to me, something in the approach Tomlin took with his star players (to include Rothles...) caused him to lose the locker room. So while Jay lost a lot of games, he was never accused of losing the locker room. Here's what James Harrison said (after he retired btw, so I don't see an axe to grind or a reason to lie):

...James Harrison said Tomlin lacked the discipline of Bill Belichick and played favorites in the locker room....

That to me, is alarming because it's coming from a player (and players talk to other players).

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think Jason Garrett's seat is starting to melt.

There's a good chance he is canned after the season is over.

Now the problem.

We've sung this song before. A few coaching prospects became available and Brucie dragged his feet and let all of the worthwhile ones get signed, THEN grabbed who he wanted the whole time and acted as if he just pulled off a great catch. 

Yeppers, you can take it to the bank that the Redskins FO will be the LAST to sign a coach, and Bruce will come out with the same ol' we got who we wanted ' BS.

5 minutes ago, joeken24 said:

...James Harrison said Tomlin lacked the discipline of Bill Belichick and played favorites in the locker room....

This is proof that he is a perfect match for the clowns we already have.

The Tampa connection is the cherry on top.

The Skins career of Mike Tomlin:

20- 6-10- The rare Tomlin losing season.

21- 10-6- Wild Card Birth. We even win a playoff game before losing in the divisional round.

22- 12-4- Tomlin's best season, as we go to the NFC Chmapionship

23- 7-9- Tomlin's rare losing season.

24- 4-12- It all falls apart for Tomlin and he's fired after the season. 

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

This is proof that he is a perfect match for the clowns we already have.

The Tampa connection is the cherry on top.

Tomlin has an excellent coaching record, is a member of the prestigious Competition Committee, is one of the game's great orators and already has relationships with key members of the organization like team president Bruce Allen and general manager Doug Williams from their time in Tampa.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/redskins-dan-snyder-expected-to-make-strong-push-to-acquire-mike-tomlin-from-steelers/

This is just amazing.  They still only will consider such a small segment of potential hires.  How has that worked out for ya so far Danny boy?  Yet here we are again.  Unbelievable!!!

i am 100% against tomlin.  The Steelers locker room and culture has proven to be a mess recently.  I know he is a big name and has a ring, but if it was a circus behind closed doors I'm pittsburgh, I can only imagine how bad it would be with the Redskins.  

Sheehan has made a really mystifying statement this morning- He thinks Bill Callahan could get the head coaching job the way Freddie Kitchens got his job.

I do not want Bill because he has not solved the running issues for the past few years.  He is strictly considered a good oline coach.  Players say he

teaches them good techniques.   I do not want Tomlin either and some of the national press guys say Skins will not get him.  Just typical public relations

spin from the Deadskins Marketing Department.  I do not want a college coach.    I am sure the Skins will end up selecting a coach that I will not be

happy about so I am preparing myself ahead of another bad Skins head coaching decision.  Their track record for finding good coaching talent is abysmal.

I'm not anti-Tomlin as HC, in a vacuum.  We need winners.  We can talk about all the drama recently, but he still finds a way to win.  And frankly, his franchiss QB has a-hole tendencies, and AB was/is plum insane. 

His teams are generally average when it comes to penalties.  He's even around .500 when Ben doesnt play.  

The reasons for him far outweigh the reasons against.

However, what I dont want, is him, or anybody else having total control.  Or trading for a coach.  Dont like that idea either.  Those are dealbreakers.  And I dont think any coach under Bruce is gonna work.

Get the proper structure in here, with a competent GM and if that GM wants Tomlin and can work effectively with him, then fine.

1 hour ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Sheehan has made a really mystifying statement this morning- He thinks Bill Callahan could get the head coaching job the way Freddie Kitchens got his job.

I do not want Bill because he has not solved the running issues for the past few years.  He is strictly considered a good oline coach.  Players say he

teaches them good techniques.   I do not want Tomlin either and some of the national press guys say Skins will not get him.  Just typical public relations

spin from the Deadskins Marketing Department.  I do not want a college coach.    I am sure the Skins will end up selecting a coach that I will not be

happy about so I am preparing myself ahead of another bad Skins head coaching decision.  Their track record for finding good coaching talent is abysmal.

So with Bill.....

I saw something during the last game (all be it with the fins) where Bill's concept of attempts over yards per carry made sense. When a defense has to be honest, an offense can be a bit more open. Gruden's philosophy was to open up the run game through the pass. Bill's philosophy is the opposite (run attempts to open the pass game/play action). I wouldn't mind if the skins kept Bill and allowed him to make the changes he needs. I have a feeling he'll move away from Manusky. He strikes me as a guy that does not wait around to improve on things. I honestly think if they stay with Bill, they'll move the defense to a 4-3 next year. I don't care to move to a young guy because there's a old guy in NE that's dominating the league. Keep Bill and allow him and Kevin to develop the most important position on the team and watch **** change. 

10 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I have under good authority that we will Rex Ryan as HC

I just heard about Rex Ryan voicing his interest in being the next HC for the Redskins.  I am curious how everyone feels about Rex Ryan?  I like the idea of hiring a defensive minded HC and bringing in a young OC as a potential heir apparent HC.

Archived