RichmondRedskin88

Next Coach?

Recommended Posts

53 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I would think the Steelers, if they were going to fire Tomlin, would be smart enough to call Dan and Bruce to see if they wanted to trade for him. Why not, we'd be dumb enough to deal our 1st for him, if not more. 

 

It's sad how reasonable to sounds, when thinking about the stupid that Snyder/Allen are capable of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't want Tomlin, he won one superbowl with a team he inherited that was a year removed from there last superbowl victory 

I would rather have Ken Whisenhunt, who many thought was going to replace Cower but wound up with the Cardinals, and has kinda turned the Chargers into a contender 

Edited by c slag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Snyder, who has long been a fan of Tomlin, has gotten to know the Super Bowl-winning coach more personally over the years, at league meetings and through several mutual friends and peers, and would be willing to give Tomlin a top-of-the-market salary and full authority over the organization, the sources said. He views Tomlin as the kind of coach, leader and face-of-the-franchise Washington sorely lacks -- the perfect point person with the media and sponsors and to help efforts to get a stadium built in downtown Washington, DC.

Tomlin has an excellent coaching record, is a member of the prestigious Competition Committee, is one of the game's great orators and already has relationships with key members of the organization like team president Bruce Allen and general manager Doug Williams from their time in Tampa. Snyder believes Tomlin could help restore faith in the fans and kick-start the team's sagging business operations as well.

...Snyder also would have interest in Tampa defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, sources said, if securing Tomlin is not possible. He met personally with Bowles last season for a potential defensive coordinator job after he was fired as head coach of the Jets. Gibbs, who is still close with the owner, has urged him to hire Bowles, a former standout defensive back in Washington, as well.  Snyder also has maintained ties with Jets defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, who was a defensive coordinator in Washington and has been a head coach with Buffalo and Cleveland (as a successful interim last year).

Current Raiders coach Jon Gruden was the last coach to be traded, though the Browns and 49ers did discuss a trade for Jim Harbaugh earlier this decade but could not agree on compensation.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Giving Tomlin complete decision-making control, even if I liked the idea of getting him, makes no ****ing sense. So of course we'd do it. You'd have to hope that Tomlin has spent so much time in a successful organization that he'd actually resist temptation and insist on a stud GM to work with (lol--coaches don't turn down power though). Yeah right--not a guy that's been forced to put up with the shenanigans of so many troubled stars over the years, he'd probably have loved final say even if he had a talent guy to acquire players. Disaster in waiting. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's really nothing left to say about Snyder and this team because there's nobody left to convince.  In 1999, 2000, 2001 there were plenty of people that I was warning.    But everybody nowadays gets it.  As for Snyder's interest in Tomlin, to the point of willingness to part with draft picks to acquire him?  Of course he would.  No surprise at all.  It would, of course, be an unquestionable disaster.  Another disaster log to throw on the disaster fire.  Especially if draft picks are included.  Tomlin is probably the most overrated Head Coach of the past 20 years in the NFL.  So OF COURSE Snyder thinks highly of him.   The same guy that brought you Steve Spurrier.   I have this meme in my head about Snyder for years and it just needs a colloquialism. And I think I have it:  Snyder's law?

 

Newton's Law

Moore's Law

Snyder's Law

 

Snyder's Law - whatever a rationale, logical, somewhat intelligent Redskins football fan with decent football instincts thinks the Redskins ought to do to address an upcoming problem, Dan Snyder and his Redskins organization will ALWAYS do the exact opposite of that.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there is such a thing, Tomlin is a system coach. He inherited a championship-caliber roster and works in one of the top-three organizations in the league.

 

Needless to say, he's not the cure for the Redskins' ills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, Jericho said:

 

Not sure this comment makes sense, are people suggesting the Redskins current coaches are better than Tomlin?

 

I'm not the biggest Tomlin fan, it would seem similar to the Carolina Panthers hiring George Seifert. Great records with a stacked team, but he's not likely to turn much around here. But I think it's a moot point. Even if Tomlin somehow became available, why would he come here?

no it wouldnt.  it would be like hiring herman edwards.  and no, not because they're both black.  they are both no more capable of being position coaches at the NFL level but they speak in a way that mimics confidence which fools the rubes out there.  mike tomlin would be Carl Weathers to Dan Snyder's Tobias Funke from Arrested Development.  Snyder would be smitten like an idiot, not realizing the Steelers successful organization had everything to do with their success.   And Dan Snyder who is a fool, who is a rube, who would get caught in the personality of Tomlin and mistake that for a quality head coach.  i would hire tomlin to be a position coach. i doubt i would hire him to be a coordinator.  maybe.  and i would never hire him to be an NFL head coach unless I'm interested in organizational malpractice. 

Edited by BoycottEuphemisticFans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schefter reported this morning that we wouldn't begin our coaching search until the season is over.

 

That gives me some small hope that Bruce could be let go (or as some have speculated for some reason, retire) before he influences the coaching search. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Schefter reported this morning that we wouldn't begin our coaching search until the season is over.

 

That gives me some small hope that Bruce could be let go (or as some have speculated for some reason, retire) before he influences the coaching search. 

 

I can understand not hiring until after the season, but not beginning the search? The only way that makes sense is if all their targets are currently employed in the NFL and can't be interviewed during the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, profusion said:

 

I can understand not hiring until after the season, but not beginning the search? The only way that makes sense is if all their targets are currently employed in the NFL and can't be interviewed during the season.

 

I mean, isn't that usually the case? Only person we can really rule out given this info is Cowher lol. Most college coaches would be off-limits till then anyways. 

 

It's mostly non-news, just gave me slight hope that they (meaning Snyder and Bruce as a duo) aren't set on anyone already and leaves the door open for a new GM to come in first. I know, I know. Unlikely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

I thought the NFL has banned trading for coaches after Gruden got traded to the Buccaneers?

 

Why would they do that? There were rumblings in the past that the Cowboys want to trade for Sean Payton after Brees retires, so I doubt they banned it. It just doesn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

 

I mean, isn't that usually the case? Only person we can really rule out given this info is Cowher lol. Most college coaches would be off-limits till then anyways. 

 

It's mostly non-news, just gave me slight hope that they (meaning Snyder and Bruce as a duo) aren't set on anyone already and leaves the door open for a new GM to come in first. I know, I know. Unlikely

 

We should be so lucky! You're right about all this, of course.

 

After that "damn good" press conference, Bruce should have packing up his office, with Dan on the phone to the league office asking for help. Alas, we'll have dumb and dumber selecting the coach, so maybe we should all stick to memes...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BoycottEuphemisticFans said:

There's really nothing left to say about Snyder and this team because there's nobody left to convince.  In 1999, 2000, 2001 there were plenty of people that I was warning.    But everybody nowadays gets it.  As for Snyder's interest in Tomlin, to the point of willingness to part with draft picks to acquire him?  Of course he would.  No surprise at all.  It would, of course, be an unquestionable disaster.  Another disaster log to throw on the disaster fire.  Especially if draft picks are included.  Tomlin is probably the most overrated Head Coach of the past 20 years in the NFL.  So OF COURSE Snyder thinks highly of him.   The same guy that brought you Steve Spurrier.   I have this meme in my head about Snyder for years and it just needs a colloquialism. And I think I have it:  Snyder's law?

 

Newton's Law

Moore's Law

Snyder's Law

 

Snyder's Law - whatever a rationale, logical, somewhat intelligent Redskins football fan with decent football instincts thinks the Redskins ought to do to address an upcoming problem, Dan Snyder and his Redskins organization will ALWAYS do the exact opposite of that.  

 

You forgot Murphy’s law, which sadly is also a Snyder regular.

 

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing concerning about Jay's eventual replacement; it looks like Dan is potentially locking in on one guy again.  We need to look at several candidates before making the decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Williams is doing a pretty damn good job with a young Jets Defense.  I hope we at least interview him.  

 

As for trading draft picks for Tomlin,  oh HELL no!!! I dont see it happening but with Danny boy anything is possible.  Now......I would be all in for trading our next five 1st round picks to get Bruce the hell out of town lol 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really want Tomlin. I want someone hungrier unless they are a can't miss and I don't know that we can make the argument that Tomlin always maximized his talent. Better than miles than Gruden probably, but it is very possible a random number generator would have been better than Gruden towards the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

I thought the NFL has banned trading for coaches after Gruden got traded to the Buccaneers?

No. They did pass a rule about not trading for Assistant coaches a while back though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anybody mentioned Marvin Lewis?  Why not?  He actually had the Bengals competitive for a number of years.  They are a complete dumpster fire of an organization.  If he can do that kind of work for that kind of organization why not this dumpster fire???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Has anybody mentioned Marvin Lewis?  Why not?  He actually had the Bengals competitive for a number of years.  They are a complete dumpster fire of an organization.  If he can do that kind of work for that kind of organization why not this dumpster fire???

With the right coordinators I'd be cool with it, although it would still feel kinda meh.  I feel the same way about Tomlin also,  yeah I know his record but we're talking about the Steelers organization.  There a ton of younger competent coaches out there waiting for the opportunity.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

With the right coordinators I'd be cool with it, although it would still feel kinda meh.  I feel the same way about Tomlin also,  yeah I know his record but we're talking about the Steelers organization.  There a ton of younger competent coaches out there waiting for the opportunity.  

Marvin Lewis has shown he can work under horrible ownership and although he never won a playoff game but he went to the playoffs consistently.  Baby steps.  Lol

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now