RichmondRedskin88

Next Coach?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

 

That's about to change real soon, and he still has better players than we do.

Hahaha, I will gladly take any coach that can get 12 winning seasons out of 13. 

 

Any person, the Steelers front office included, that ditches a coach that successful because of his latest season where he lost his 3 offensive stars in Bell, Brown, and Roethlisberger, is an absolutely and utter fool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Anyone who thinks Tomlin is a bad coach is.... I just dont even know how to describe that person.

 

Do you know how many losing seasons Tomlin has had since he started coaching Pittsburgh 12 years ago? Literally, zero.

Tomlin's a good but not great coach.  The Steelers have under-performed the last few years under him and the discipline/drama with some of the Steelers players is due to him.

 

Dan hires Mike and guarantee you, the Mike will experience his first losing season.  Dan could hire Bill Bellichek and Bill would have a losing season.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Tomlin is a glorified cheerleader... he inherited a good team and it’s gone downhill. Don’t want even if it’s free. My Pitt friends would love to see him go. 

 

You are absolutely right, its so easy to have zero losing seasons in your first 12 as head coach, its amazing that not every coach does it.  In fact, its so easy that one other guy has done it, this Belichick fellow?  In fact, Tomlin is such a glorified cheerleader than he only has the 2nd highest winning percentage of all NFL head coaches, again bested by the Belichick schmuck!  I mean, Tomlin is barely 12th in NFL history(among coaches with at least 100 games) in winning percentage!  I mean, if you cant be better than 12th in NFL history, you arent worth to take over the 31st best team in the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know Bruce isn't going anywhere.  Any coach worth their salt, will tell Dan that Bruce has to go.  I doubt Dan picks a coach over Bruce.

 

So, we will get a desperate coach like Rex and in 2=3 years; we will back here again.

 

If you don't see Bruce Allen unemployed after the season; there is no long term hope.  Just another recyling. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peregrine said:

You are absolutely right, its so easy to have zero losing seasons in your first 12 as head coach, its amazing that not every coach does it.  In fact, its so easy that one other guy has done it, this Belichick fellow?  In fact, Tomlin is such a glorified cheerleader than he only has the 2nd highest winning percentage of all NFL head coaches, again bested by the Belichick schmuck!  I mean, Tomlin is barely 12th in NFL history(among coaches with at least 100 games) in winning percentage!  I mean, if you cant be better than 12th in NFL history, you arent worth to take over the 31st best team in the league.

 

How many Championships did that equate to? See, Boudreau, Bruce... Tomlin took over a Super Bowl Championship team not far removed with a great front office and Dick LeBeau...

 

It's one thing to get to the playoffs, it's another to be successful at losing almost every single damn time besides the SB from the team he inherited with Cowher not far removed...

 

 

Edited by SemperFi Skins
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Hahaha, I will gladly take any coach that can get 12 winning seasons out of 13. 

 

Any person, the Steelers front office included, that ditches a coach that successful because of his latest season where he lost his 3 offensive stars in Bell, Brown, and Roethlisberger, is an absolutely and utter fool.

 

If Dan offers a 1st rd pick or more they might move on from Tomlin.  The Rooney's know a good coach when they see one and could find the next guy.  They picked Tomlin and Cowher up after they were first year DCs.  They also know when it's time to move on, and if they can fleece Dan all the better for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You all are nuts.  Why in the Sam hell would Tomlin come here?

 

If, IF he gets canned by Pittsburgh, he goes on tv to get fluffered for 5 years while his perceived value continues to rise and then he gets to pick his spot.

 

or, he comes to this **** hole. 

 

Remove your blinders, Skins are getting a has been or never was.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stoshuaj said:

You all are nuts.  Why in the Sam hell would Tomlin come here?

 

If, IF he gets canned by Pittsburgh, he goes on tv to get fluffered for 5 years while his perceived value continues to rise and then he gets to pick his spot.

 

or, he comes to this **** hole. 

 

Remove your blinders, Skins are getting a has been or never was.

 

three things that would get Tomlin to come here

 

1) 6-year deal with an annual salary in line with the top 5 highest paid coaches in the NFL

 

2) Final say over all player personnel decisions (draft, free agency, roster) and add a clause in his contract that if Dan or anyone representing Dan (Bruce) tries to overrule or push a player on him he can resign with pay for whatever years are left on his contract.

 

3) Mike can hire his own personnel executive to run the scouting/player personnel department.  And that person will report to NOT Dan, NOT Bruce but to Mike.  If Bruce stays he's removed from the personnel side and can go do stadium stuff, alumni events and harvest fests.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, drowland said:

 

three things that would get Tomlin to come here

 

1) 6-year deal with an annual salary in line with the top 5 highest paid coaches in the NFL

 

2) Final say over all player personnel decisions (draft, free agency, roster) and add a clause in his contract that if Dan or anyone representing Dan (Bruce) tries to overrule or push a player on him he can resign with pay for whatever years are left on his contract.

 

3) Mike can hire his own personnel executive to run the scouting/player personnel department.  And that person will report to NOT Dan, NOT Bruce but to Mike.  If Bruce stays he's removed from the personnel side and can go do stadium stuff, alumni events and harvest fests.    

 

Doubtful it happens. If it did, Dan will eventually undermine that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drowland said:

 

three things that would get Tomlin to come here

 

1) 6-year deal with an annual salary in line with the top 5 highest paid coaches in the NFL

 

2) Final say over all player personnel decisions (draft, free agency, roster) and add a clause in his contract that if Dan or anyone representing Dan (Bruce) tries to overrule or push a player on him he can resign with pay for whatever years are left on his contract.

 

3) Mike can hire his own personnel executive to run the scouting/player personnel department.  And that person will report to NOT Dan, NOT Bruce but to Mike.  If Bruce stays he's removed from the personnel side and can go do stadium stuff, alumni events and harvest fests.    

 

Sounds a lot like Shanahan's conditions.

 

Didn't stop Snyder from bringing in McNabb and RG3.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

 

Sounds a lot like Shanahan's conditions.

 

Didn't stop Snyder from bringing in McNabb and RG3.


Also, Shanny never brought in his own personnel guy, he kept Scott Campbell, et. al.  Same with Gibbs, who kept Vinny.  I think Snyder pressures these guys to keep his scouting staff to reduce cost, etc. 

 

Snyder doesn’t seem to care about scouting. He cares about the Marketing Impact of hiring a big name head coach (like a Tomlin). This is one of the many reasons the Skins never put it all together. 
 

A big name Head Coach with a weak personnel dept. will not work. 

 

Edited by Andre The Giant
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

 

Sounds a lot like Shanahan's conditions.

 

Didn't stop Snyder from bringing in McNabb and RG3.

 

Shanahan's flaw was recommending Dan hire Bruce and not getting language in the contract about the meddling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, drowland said:

 

Shanahan's flaw was recommending Dan hire Bruce and not getting language in the contract about the meddling.  

 

The contract you're talking about protects the head coach from Snyder but what protection will this GM person have? How do you put "stop meddling" into a contract and more importantly how do you enforce it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, drowland said:

 

three things that would get Tomlin to come here

 

1) 6-year deal with an annual salary in line with the top 5 highest paid coaches in the NFL

 

2) Final say over all player personnel decisions (draft, free agency, roster) and add a clause in his contract that if Dan or anyone representing Dan (Bruce) tries to overrule or push a player on him he can resign with pay for whatever years are left on his contract.

 

3) Mike can hire his own personnel executive to run the scouting/player personnel department.  And that person will report to NOT Dan, NOT Bruce but to Mike.  If Bruce stays he's removed from the personnel side and can go do stadium stuff, alumni events and harvest fests.    

 

You are welcome to live in la la land but I’ll stick with:  You’re nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.nflhuddle.com/2019/10/09/report-redskins-head-coaching-job-considered-worst-job-in-football-yardbarker/

 

Report: Redskins head coaching job considered 'worst job in football' – Yardbarker

 one AFC assistant coach told Bleacher Report’s Mike Freeman that their head coaching vacancy is “the worst job in football.” “They will get interest because it’s an NFL job, but it’s a s— job,” the coach said. Freeman added that the Redskins have such a reputation for dysfunction that the odds of them landing a coach who can make a difference are “slim.” Redskins president Bruce Allen, who has also become a big part of the problem in Washington, recently made the NFL world erupt with laughter when he said the team has a “damn goo

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

 

How many Championships did that equate to? See, Boudreau, Bruce... Tomlin took over a Super Bowl Championship team not far removed with a great front office and Dick LeBeau...

 

It's one thing to get to the playoffs, it's another to be successful at losing almost every single damn time besides the SB from the team he inherited with Cowher not far removed...

Ooo, thank you, another good point in my favor!  

Tomlin is one of only 6 current NFL head coaches to have won a super bowl(and top 6 in current playoff winning percentage)!  Elite company, very good point!

Edited by Peregrine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had worst head coaches in recent history than Mike Tomlin, he seems like a great guy. We could do far worse and have, but giving up a draft pick or multiple picks would absolutely be foolish. Picks you need to rebuild your offensive line, secondary and two starting tight ends is not worth having a big named coach if it ain't Belichick.  Perhaps I am more than just a little jaded here but less under achieve with all our draft picks and keep it moving.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, wunderhill said:

Look at their records over the years, it's because of their "culture" and stability that has led to his success.

I disagree with this line of thinking. Isn’t that part of the reason we would want a coach? Someone who knows what a winning culture and organization looks like so that he can bring that vision with him to DC?

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you dont think Tomlin is great than you are suffering from stockholm syndrome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I disagree with his line of thinking. Isn’t that part of the reason we would want a coach? Someone who knows what a winning culture and organization looks like so that he can bring that vision with him to DC?

I would agree if he was going to have a strong supporting cast (FO) but he won't, his reputation will be destroyed like almost every other winning coach we've had since Snyder has owned the team

Just now, illone said:

If you dont think Tomlin is great than you are suffering from stockholm syndrome.

I agree he's a hell of a coach. But would he be here working for Dan and Bruce?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, illone said:

If you dont think Tomlin is great than you are suffering from stockholm syndrome.

 

Thinking Tomlin isn't great doesn't mean we think what we have is great. That would be more akin to Stockholm Syndrome. He's obviously better than what we have now--doesn't mean some of us can't hope we aim higher (nevermind the draft compensation part of it).

 

Tomlin has been immersed in an excellent, stable organization and benefited from (and yes, contributed to) that culture the entire time he's been there...he doesn't focus on calling plays on either side of the ball on game days...he has had the benefit of a franchise QB....and yet, he still faces the same criticism that Jay has here about the team being unprepared, having slow starts, not adjusting well at halftime, poor clock management and situational decision-making, etc. What excuse does Tomlin have for this stuff? At least Jay was stuck in this ****hole with little help, too much on his plate, and lots of bad players, etc. A lot of it was his own doing, but at least there's an argument to be made given the situation.

 

Meanwhile, Tomlin has been in near-ideal circumstances for much of his career, much better than he'd ever experience here, and yet his legacy among Steelers fans is that of an underachiever. I'm sick of other teams' castoffs. He's been with the same elite organization for 12 years!! He's not going to just find new life and all of a sudden become an innovator here. 

 

Citing his winning percentage as an out-of-context selling point is the HC version of citing the winning percentage of teams that have RB's run for 100+ yards...it's meaningless without the context and in fact is misleading. 

 

The biggest plus Tomlin has going for him is that IF he came here under a real GM (not a given), he'd bring a lot of respect and legitimacy to an organization that needs it. Maybe you ride that for a few years, create a new normal and new culture and then try to find an innovator to take it to the next level.

 

Of course...that is exactly what the narrative was supposed to be with Mike Shanahan and his son Kyle. Mike brings us back to respectability within the NFL as a proven winner, and then Kyle takes over and creates our future. And look what happened, because of the organizational structure being what it was. There'd have to be enormous changes in the FO and in how we do business for Tomlin to succeed here.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wunderhill said:

I agree he's a hell of a coach. But would he be here working for Dan and Bruce?

 

 

No way.  He is in a great situation in Pitt.  Has front office support, runs the same system every year, and has a HoF QB with a constant influx of good to great players every year.

 

If he came here it would be career suicide.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Peregrine said:

Ooo, thank you, another good point in my favor!  

Tomlin is one of only 6 current NFL head coaches to have won a super bowl(and top 6 in current playoff winning percentage)!  Elite company, very good point!


you didn’t answer my question... how many championships? One? And that team was inherited? Please, produce something more. By your logic, he could go 9-7 for 10 years (winning percentage, right?) and he’s a great coach? 
 

come on, man! He’s a product of a great front office which even he can’t produce trophies with. Good coaches get it done. He hasn’t. He won’t, and will most likely be canned... (Save for an extension of another Cowher team SB win)

 

he can go coach your team, but I don’t want him near mine... He’s closer to Mike McCarthy than Bill Belichek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.