Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: When will Gruden be fired

Riggo-toni

When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. When will El Dano fire Jay Gruden?

• After we lose to the Giants
    • After we get humiliated by the Patriots
    • After we lose to the hapless Dolphins
    • After the end of the season
    • He comes back in 2020

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I keep reading more and more posts about Jay and the FO disagreeing on assistant coaches and it is infuriating.  It also is another demonstration of the dysfunction.  

The coaching staff should 100% up to the HC. Period.  If they fail they go.  This BS of keeping guys jay would like to move on from is  another reason I think you will find a jay going somewhere else and having much more success.  

Its a wonder he has been able to win a single game with his cluster ****.  

Since Dan never speaks and Bruce speaks rarely and mostly prefers easy-soft ball media forums -- we have no way to know what's really going on since transparency isn't the game there.  And I gather if some of the stuff is true about what we hear about what does happen there -- I guess I don't blame them from hiding from the media and the fans. 

So all we got is nuggets that may or may not be true (I suspect much of it is) from beat-radio guys who hear from their deep throat types in the FO.  If I had to pile it all in one place, among the things that have been said this off season:

A.  Jay and Callahan don't see eye to eye on offense and he would like to move on.  FO disagrees.

B.  We got the weird drill with new defensive coordinator prospects interviews where according to Bruce -- Manusky actually sat in the meetings and they just brainstormed together. 😂

C.  Friction between Bruce and Jay especially about FA.

D. Even Keim doubled down yesterday that Jay didn't want Haskins at 15 -- it wasn't personal against Haskins but he wanted a player who can help him win now since he knew he was in a win now season.  

E. Jay might have wanted to move on from Petereson -- wanted a more catching passing back in the backfield and didn't want the drama of what happened if he didn't get much playing time.

F.  Jay and Kyle have a faction in that FO where they have each other's back -- implied there was that there is a competing faction. 

G. Jay wanted to move on from Norman and was overruled from above

H.  There is some drama behind the scenes involving multiple things -- but reporters can't spill because it would blow up a source.  Even the conservative stylistically Keim backed that when it was brought up in a podcast.

I.  Jay has had it working there and doesn't care if he lets go at the end of the season.

J.  Some like Sheehan who said that Dan wasn't that involved in recent years, say he is now out of the cage and interfering

K. We got the WP article that said Dan hasn't changed much, he's just slightly less emotional and imperious.

That's most of the gossip stuff I can recall.  And whether we agree or not with Jay on all of this, to me it doesn't matter.  Most of this stuff should either be his call or if you don't trust his judgment then just fire him.  

Then you add to that pile about how Dan and Bruce have drinks with each other just about every night at Redskins Park to go over the day.  The fact that Dan and Bruce conferred to the wee hours of the night with Alex Smith of all people after the Bears game.

Who knows what's really cooking there.  But it sounds weird.  I used to think Dan was just incompetent and overly emotional but I am starting to get the picture he's also a weird dude.  But I'll take a wild leap and disagree with the straggler defenders left of this FO who we've both battled with many times when they like to say the notion that Dan and the FO have turned the tide or close enough and we are just some malcontents complaining about things that happened 10 years plus ago. 

To me it comes off like we got an emotional loon as an owner, and Rasputin guiding him.  Otherwise everything is OK.  I am sure getting rid of Jay will cure everything. 😀

giphy.gif

On 9/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Since Dan never speaks and Bruce speaks rarely and mostly prefers easy-soft ball media forums -- we have no way to know what's really going on since transparency isn't the game there.  And I gather if some of the stuff is true about what we hear about what does happen there -- I guess I don't blame them from hiding from the media and the fans. 

So all we got is nuggets that may or may not be true (I suspect much of it is) from beat-radio guys who hear from their deep throat types in the FO.  If I had to pile it all in one place, among the things that have been said this off season:

edit

That's most of the gossip stuff I can recall.  And whether we agree or not with Jay on all of this, to me it doesn't matter.  Most of this stuff should either be his call or if you don't trust his judgment then just fire him.  edit

Then you add to that pile about how Dan and Bruce have drinks with each other just about every night at Redskins Park to go over the day.  The fact that Dan and Bruce conferred to the wee hours of the night with Alex Smith of all people after the Bears game.

Who knows what's really cooking there.  But it sounds weird.  I used t think Dan was just incompetent and overly emotional but I am starting to get the picture he's also a weird dude.  But I'll take a wild leap and disagree with the straggler defenders left of this FO who we've both battled with many times when they like to say the notion that Dan and the FO have turned the tide or close enough and we are just some malcontents complaining about things that happened 10 years plus ago. 

To me it comes off like we got an emotional loon as an owner, and Rasputin guiding him.  Otherwise everything is OK.  I am sure getting rid of Jay will cure everything. 😀

The bolded is exactly right and why I have a hard time laying too much at Jays feet. As @thesubmittedone pointed out (nice to see a TSO sighting!) fans like to think they understand play calling and game strategy better than the coaches. In fact they just do not (I am including myself in that category). We all like to yell at the coaching during losses (and even wins sometimes). 

But after the emotion wears off I believe many of us remember it's more than the xs and os on Sundays. There is a whole apparatus that has to working as one for anything positive to come out of it. You and I and many others tend to give Jay more benefit of the doubt for this reason. 

But I will say i understand some fans frustrations as at least most of us - a few notable holdouts not withstanding - know that Dan is the real problem. But ultimately we know that is not changing. So ewe scream for something that can change with the undying hope that Dan somehow ****s up and gets it right. The whole blind dog and bone thing right? 

Ok, rant over for now. I am mostly preaching to choir here anyway. 

I refuse to vote because it's a stupid topic, because it should have happened a LONG DAMN TIME AGO.  I'm tired of hearing, well if (insert whatever scenario here) happens theeennnn.... No, we've seen enough. He's a below average coach with a historically, epically, might be the worst of all time defensive coordinator. 

Over this organization, and every day that goes by, the silence from Ashburn becomes more and more deafening. 

Ugh. 

I like Jay but he's had 6 years, at some point he has to be held accountable. If he isn't getting the support he needs to win then why sign the extension, thats when you make your move and I'm sure he would have landed another gig by now.

I think he's had a raw deal to some extent when it comes to the mismanagement of player personnel but he seems to lack creativity although that may be due to the fact that he can't afford to take chances because of the lack of talent at certain positions.

There's so little transparency with the team it all becomes a guessing game but still its 6 years and here we are.

If we get our butts kicked by the Giants I could see the team cutting him loose on Monday, it's not going to get any better with NE, Buffalo, San Fran, and The Vikes being 4 of the next 5 opponents.

I think we're 1-8 going into the bye week.

58 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

The bolded is exactly right and why I have a hard time playing too much at Jays feet. As @thesubmittedone pointed out (nice to see a TSO sighting!) fans like to think they understand play calling and game strategy better than the coaches. In fact they just do not (I am including myself in that category). We all like to yell at the coaching during losses (and even wins sometimes). 

But after the emotion wears off I believe many of us remember it's more than the xs and os on Sundays. There is a whole apparatus that has to working as one for anything positive to come out of it. You and I and many others tend to give Jay more benefit of the doubt for this reason. 

But I will say i understand some fans frustrations as at least most of us - a few notable holdouts not withstanding - know that Dan is the real problem. But ultimately we know that is not changing. So ewe scream for something that can change with the undying hope that Dan somehow ****s up and gets it right. The whole blind dog and bone thing right? 

Ok, rant over for now. I am mostly preaching to choir here. 

Agree and sorry for the typos in my post, I since fixed them or hopefully at least most of them. 😀

I go back and forth on Jay.  I wouldn't lose any sleep if they keep or fire him.    But in the mix I give him props for being a good guy and is skilled with dealing with the dysfunction.  He comes off like a really nice guy, came off that way to me when I met him, too.  Reporters and others have likewise said he's a really nice guy and easy to deal with.    Normally, i wouldn't care that much about that for my favorite sports team.  But for this team it means something to me.  

One of the hard things about being a Redskins fan in South Florida is that there are so many transplants from around the country here that I interact with fans of just about every team.  And the nature of my work puts me in contact with hundreds of people every year.    They all know am a Redskins fan and I end up talking football a lot.    And the perception of the Redskins has just continued to slide at least among the circles I find myself.  It's often now why that team?  Or they have the perception it's a sort of sleaze bag organization.  My son wears a Redskins jersey to school at times, and I actually felt the need to prep him in case he's teased about it.    

To me its tough times to be a Redskins fan and having a head coach who comes off likable and isn't a douche -- i think is a needed bonus for this team.  for most other teams it doesn't matter.  One thing that bothers me in the mix of the soup of what Dan has done to the franchise is he's made the team really uncool to like.  To some fans, we are the Death Star, Imperial Troops, etc.  In the 80s, this team was often seen as the good guys.  no more. 

And yeah agree we can't change Dan so the coach is all we got left.  For me the top target to get rid of is Bruce because he comes off as a dude who feeds some of Dan's worst impulses.  My greatest hope is the NFL does to us what they did to the Giants decades ago and push hard for some changes.  That worked.   It's probably a pie in the sky thought here.  But what the heck?  So I do think there might be some value to some loud outcry about Dan.  According to at least the WP there are some in the league office that have concerns about the state of the franchise. 

1 hour ago, illone said:

I'm thinking after the Gints game if they lose.  If not the abortion continues for another week until the Pats bend them over and ram deflated footballs up their asses.

now why would any of their assistant coaches choose to start the job playing the patriots? 

6 hours ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I refuse to vote because it's a stupid topic, because it should have happened a LONG DAMN TIME AGO.  I'm tired of hearing, well if (insert whatever scenario here) happens theeennnn.... No, we've seen enough. He's a below average coach with a historically, epically, might be the worst of all time defensive coordinator. 

Over this organization, and every day that goes by, the silence from Ashburn becomes more and more deafening. 

Ugh. 

For those that want to watch the titanic all over again, it will be this team. They will flounder through this season and a new coaching staff will be in place for next year. Period.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I kept saying on the game day thread, Booger knows something.   He has a relationship formed by a $34m contract given to him by Bruce.  He is somewhat an insider for the Tampa mafia.

Callahan as interim coach makes sense because he’s the assistant HC and he’s a Bruce guy.  

Ryan as DC, I’m not sure.  It’s possible.  Ray Horton is also possible.

Tomsula might resign if Manusky is fired. They are apparently tight.

I think if there's an interim coach, it will be Tomsula for this precise reason. Tomsula surely wants to be a head coach again and going, I don't know, 5-6 with a developing Haskins would get a lot of glowing, "Tomsula steady hand for dysfunctional Skins" stories. That at least gets you back in the conversation, I think.

Walking out in protest over Manusky's deserved firing is not the path to that.

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree and sorry for the typos in my post, I since fixed them or hopefully at least most of them. 😀

I go back and forth on Jay.  I wouldn't lose any sleep if they keep or fire him.    But in the mix I give him props for being a good guy and is skilled with dealing with the dysfunction.  He comes off like a really nice guy, came off that way to me when I met him, too.  Reporters and others have likewise said he's a really nice guy and easy to deal with.    Normally, i wouldn't care that much about that for my favorite sports team.  But for this team it means something to me.  

One of the hard things about being a Redskins fan in South Florida is that there are so many transplants from around the country here that I interact with fans of just about every team.  And the nature of my work puts me in contact with hundreds of people every year.    They all know am a Redskins fan and I end up talking football a lot.    And the perception of the Redskins has just continued to slide at least among the circles I find myself.  It's often now why that team?  Or they have the perception it's a sort of sleaze bag organization.  My son wears a Redskins jersey to school at times, and I actually felt the need to prep him in case he's teased about it.    

To me its tough times to be a Redskins fan and having a head coach who comes off likable and isn't a douche -- i think is a needed bonus for this team.  for most other teams it doesn't matter.  One thing that bothers me in the mix of the soup of what Dan has done to the franchise is he's made the team really uncool to like.  To some fans, we are the Death Star, Imperial Troops, etc.  In the 80s, this team was often seen as the good guys.  no more. 

And yeah agree we can't change Dan so the coach is all we got left.  For me the top target to get rid of is Bruce because he comes off as a dude who feeds some of Dan's worst impulses.  My greatest hope is the NFL does to us what they did to the Giants decades ago and push hard for some changes.  That worked.   It's probably a pie in the sky thought here.  But what the heck?  So I do think there might be some value to some loud outcry about Dan.  According to at least the WP there are some in the league office that have concerns about the state of the franchise. 

when did the NFL do that to the Giants?  Any time I can think of where it was appropriate was two commisioners ago?

5 minutes ago, carex said:

when did the NFL do that to the Giants?  Any time I can think of where it was appropriate was two commisioners ago?

Long ago.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/thirty-five-years-ago-george-young-turned-giants-fortunes-around-1.7904746

Thirty-five years ago, George Young turned Giants' fortunes around

When he came to us, we were in shambles. We had been through so much chaos. He transformed the entire operation here and made us champions."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2012/11/23/goodell-must-intervene-with-jets-like-rozelle-did-with-giants/#6121879d3b54

Goodell Must Intervene With Jets Like Rozelle Did With Giants

Rozelle convinced the Giants to bring in George Young to run the football operations, and Young turned the team around. 

I honestly hope Hay does well enough so that Snyder isn't forced to fire him during the season.  There's a chance that O'Connell will turn down the position mid way through the year because it's such a train wreck.  Best to hire him the first week of the offseason to give him a fresh start.  If he'll take it.

This just goes to show how much Danny and Bruce tear this organization down. They wanted Haskins and Jay wanted Daniel Jones. Why not go with the coach's decision? Being at odds with your head coach on the most important position on the team is once again a formula for failure. Jay Gruden was a QB and knows how it's supposed to be played and sees more than Danny can see on who might work and who might not but freaking Danny is the one who makes this decision. So the dysfunctional redskins can't even agree on who to draft is all the proof you need on why they are dysfunctional. Danny are you coaching these players? Get the freak out of the draft room Danny. Now!! and forever more!!!!

While I’m ready for Gruden to go, it annoys me how he’s now at the forefront of the fan outrage. While Jay is very average (if not below average), he’s just a pawn. Firing him really does nothing but satisfy fan blood lust. 

Bruce has to go. Like now. Don’t care who the new coach is if that idiot is still around. 

Archived