Timberob

Tank for Tua

No,  I am not suggesting we draft Tua.  I like the Miami mindset of knowing you are going to suck this year and embracing it. Likely,  this staff gets replaced by next season. If I were GM (do we have one?) and we started 0-4, I would wave the white flag.   Trade Trent,  Josh,  Reed, and even Kerrigan for draft capital. Get what you can.  Here's the key.  You just need to finish worst than Miami and you play them!!  If you can truly tank and go into the draft with #1 pick, Miami will trade a crap ton (and they have it) to us to get Tua.  This type of one year tank could be a launching point. Build the lines. With the eroding fan base this franchise needs a blow up. Forget product on the field.  Bigger than that.  Reset button.  Start over and end years of mediocrity. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Alright, I'll bite......but with a different take. Maybe the coaches should start doing the opposite of what they'd normally do, a la George Costanza. Opposite Gruden might actually run the ball more frequently, even when down. Might help with the play-action, especially since we've got a killer WR out there now. Opposite Manusky could actually call for some blitzes, stunts, and more exotic looks instead of handing out white bread to the D and giving opposing QBs all damn day to throw the ball.

In short, maybe if the team tries to tank by doing the opposite, they actually end up winning.

• Like 2

We’ll never finish below Miami. They’re historically bad. 

And we’ll never blow it up under this regime. As long as Bruce is here it’ll always be 1 year retools

• Like 2

I've never been comfortable with the concept of tanking, maybe it's a cultural thing?

Not many English people would even know what the word meant. Over here, if for example you had lost the first three games in a best-of-five series, you would still play out the last two games. Even though they would be meaningless in regard to the eventual outcome, you would still try to win both of the the last two games, to make the overall score more acceptable and/or avoid the whitewash. There's a term used to describe it, it's called "playing for pride".

Can you imagine the humiliating debacle of two teams playing each other, both trying to lose? I would be disgusted with the players, coaches, and owner if I thought that they didn't want to win. Even if we went 0-15, I would still expect them to give their all to try to get to 1-15.

I like that the league is based on a model to ensure parity, but IMO you should always play to win.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

By the time we get to the draft, one of these other QBs might be ranked higher, like Herbert or somebody.  

5 hours ago, Timberob said:

Here's the key.  You just need to finish worst than Miami and you play them!!  If you can truly tank and go into the draft with #1 pick, Miami will trade a crap ton (and they have it) to us to get Tua.  This type of one year tank could be a launching point. 

You are right it could be. In another dimension we could snag a few extra premium picks from miami.

But you just know it would blow up in our faces.

We would have some ridiculous wins at the end of the year. Or Tua would get hurt in the championship game. Or a season purposefully tanked would ruin our current youngster's mindset. It would also be a blemish on the team. 

I'm all for building for the future at times, but I feel you have to put your best foot forward as a team. Getting rid of bad contracts or guys that would not be beneficial in the long term is not a bad idea. In fact, I've wanted to trade trent and Reed for years and I thought we shouldve taken offers for kerrigan in the offseason...

Actively throwing games though is not something I'd want to be a part of. 

Edited by sportjunkie07

This isnt the NBA where a single player can damn write your ticket to the finals, 53 players is a lot.  For all the talk of tanking to get Luck but only came close enough to get Griffin, look where both of them are now.  

• Like 2

Well, if we tanked and went 0-16 and get first pick while Miami would probably get 2nd pick. They pretty much know the Redskins won't draft a QB since we drafted Haskins so really, they would never do a trade.

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, PigskinRedskin said:

Well, if we tanked and went 0-16 and get first pick while Miami would probably get 2nd pick. They pretty much know the Redskins won't draft a QB since we drafted Haskins so really, they would never do a trade.

But we could trade that pick to someone else, maybe someone that isn’t even Miami. 

• Like 2

I don't believe in purposefully losing.  But getting rid of high priced veterans to focus on developing the players that will still be around in 3 years may be a good idea.  Josh Norman doesn't have any trade value.  He can play but his cap number is too high for a trade.  No one will take Jordan Reed's contract either.  Kerrigan still has value.  Trent Williams is the only one with substantial value although the best trade partner (Texans) already gave up a king's ransom for a LT.  

• Sad 1

If tanking ever actually worked out in the NFL though...maybe for a player, but wheres the team success stories. What would 21 do

15 hours ago, benskins26 said:

We’ll never finish below Miami. They’re historically bad. 

And we’ll never blow it up under this regime. As long as Bruce is here it’ll always be 1 year retools

Agree.  They make the 0-16 Browns or 0-16 Lions look like Super Bowl contenders

I used to be for the Redskins tanking (Suck for Luck) but now I realize that it wouldn't make any difference at all.

You could give them picks 1-5 for 3 drafts in a row and they'd find a way to do something hilariously moronic to screw it up before anything good happened.

This team has a strong ACME gene.

• Like 1

Week 17- Season final with the Redskins at Cowboys.  Both Miami and Washington have 0-15 records.

Jerry Jones announces the first ever "family night" game.  All Cowboys players step aside for one night to let a family member of their choosing play for them instead.  NFL loves the idea of concluding their 100th season in a family friendly way!

3 minutes ago, Nerm said:

Week 17- Season final with the Redskins at Cowboys.  Both Miami and Washington have 0-15 records.

Nice fantasy bro but there is 0 chance of this happening.

The Redskins play the Dolphins in a couple weeks.

2 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Nice fantasy bro but there is 0 chance of this happening.

The Redskins play the Dolphins in a couple weeks.

0-14-1 ???

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden might actually run the ball more frequently,

I’m going to keep pointing out the false narrative of the running game.  Gruden traditionally runs on 70% or more of first half first downs.  Over 5 years.  That’s commitment to the run.  Except that it has never worked.  

26 minutes ago, Nerm said:

0-14-1 ???

And what happens to the 16th game?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:And what happens to the 16th game?

The Redskins win, but set a NFL record for Unnecessary Roughness penalties in a game after a week of hearing "My little sister is going to TRUCK you!" and " My momma could have pancaked you on that play!" through social media.

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m going to keep pointing out the false narrative of the running game.  Gruden traditionally runs on 70% or more of first half first downs.  Over 5 years.  That’s commitment to the run.  Except that it has never worked.  

And what happens to the 16th game?

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Through two games, we're 30th in rush attempts. That isn't an anomaly. Tell me how it's a false narrative that Gruden doesn't run frequently enough?  He's dialed up 10 rushes for AP through 2 games (wasn't even active for the opener). At one point during the game last week, didn't Sims have more carries than AP? In the opener, his prized back was called upon for 10 carries. Injury? Yes, but if you foolishly go into the opening game, on the road, against a division rival, and trust your running game (whatever it might be) to a guy coming off serious injury? That's as irresponsible as not dialing up enough runs or the proper situational play-calls that utilize the run. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Yet 18 years ago, in his 3rd year of ownership, Dan fired Marty Schottenheimer after 1 year, who made running the ball religiously work with nobody at QB, because Dan couldn't have his comittee front office with Dan himself being the tie breaker.

Gotta love the ironic results.

20 years of ****, Dan hiding behind garbage "team presidents" until he dies, he'll never win anything.

Gruden beating his head against the wall for 5 years with Bumbling Bruce sitting there beside Dan, neither doing anything, while the home crowd turns green, blue, or silver, depending on the opponent, is quite telling.

The "greatest Redskins fan" is only here to make money.

Gruden hasn't done anything right for 5 years?

Well Bruce hasn't for 10 and he's still here so...

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Like 2