Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tank for Tua

Timberob

3 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Ask Indy how tanking turned out.

To be fair, Indy didn't tank. The roster used to be quite good, but had slowly eroded away over time. And yet, Peyton Manning was so good he covered up most of it. Until he got hurt and the wheels came off. But Colts actually wanted to be good, just failed at it. The biggest problem was, once they got Luck, they still largely failed at building a roster. At least until very recently.

They failed because the moron owner fired the coach and Polian at the same time. 3 years after they went to the Super bowl.

Yet our GM and coach seem immortal because our owner hasn't won anything in over 20 years after exclaiming how he's going to get the Redskins back to the Super Bowl soon.

Dan Snyder is an owner in shellshock due to his own ineptitude.

29 minutes ago, Jericho said:

To be fair, Indy didn't tank. The roster used to be quite good, but had slowly eroded away over time. And yet, Peyton Manning was so good he covered up most of it. Until he got hurt and the wheels came off. But Colts actually wanted to be good, just failed at it. The biggest problem was, once they got Luck, they still largely failed at building a roster. At least until very recently.

There was no erosion. They lost a conference chamionship and a playoff game before they tanked in for Manning a year later. They had six playoff games, one championship, and 2 SB's with a win before they tanked for Luck a year later. All in a row. Irsay was obvious and the fans complied knowing who the QB's would be in the first pick.

Absolutely no to tanking for Tua! If the Skins end up with a very high pick, fine, but I want no part of any QB that comes from Nick Saban. 

Here's Saban's QB's over his years of coaching at Michigan St., LSU & Alabama:

Tony Banks- Michigan St.

Bill Burke- Michigan St.

Marcus Randall- LSU

Matt Mauck- LSU

Rohan Davey- LSU

Josh Booty- LSU

JaMarcus Russell- LSU

John Parker Wilson- Alabama

Greg McElroy- Alabama

AJ McCarron- Alabama

Blake Sims- Alabama

Jake Coker- Alabama

Blake Barnett- Alabama

jalen Hurts- Alabama- left program now at Oklahoma

Tua- Alabama

As you can see by these names, Saban hasn't exactly churned out NFL quality QB's. And a bunch of these guys were very successful in college playing for him. To take Tua with a high pick next year and hope that he'll be any different from the guys on the above list would be way too risky in my opinion. Obviously, the jury is still out on Tua & Hurts. But if Hurts turns out to be a good NFL QB, I'd be more inclined to credit that to Lincoln Riley, who has turned Oklahoma into a QB factory.

23 hours ago, London Kev said:

I've never been comfortable with the concept of tanking, maybe it's a cultural thing?

Not many English people would even know what the word meant. Over here, if for example you had lost the first three games in a best-of-five series, you would still play out the last two games. Even though they would be meaningless in regard to the eventual outcome, you would still try to win both of the the last two games, to make the overall score more acceptable and/or avoid the whitewash. There's a term used to describe it, it's called "playing for pride".

Can you imagine the humiliating debacle of two teams playing each other, both trying to lose? I would be disgusted with the players, coaches, and owner if I thought that they didn't want to win. Even if we went 0-15, I would still expect them to give their all to try to get to 1-15.

I like that the league is based on a model to ensure parity, but IMO you should always play to win.

They still play the games even though they are meaningless?  That's really lame, sounds like a money grab and nothing more.  As a fan I would have about as much interest as I would in preseason games.  

5 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

There was no erosion. They lost a conference chamionship and a playoff game before they tanked in for Manning a year later. They had six playoff games, one championship, and 2 SB's with a win before they tanked for Luck a year later. All in a row. Irsay was obvious and the fans complied knowing who the QB's would be in the first pick.

I'm not sure about that.  In the year prior to drafting Luck their QB situation was so bad after Manning was put on IR they made the desperate move of talking  Kerry Collins out of retirement just before the season started.  That does not sound like the actions of a team trying to tank, if that were the case they would have simply rolled with Curtis Painter which would have pretty much guaranteed the first pick.  It should be pretty obvious by now that those playoff success was mostly due to Manning, the team around him just wasn't very good and once he was gone that was exposed.  

2 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Absolutely no to tanking for Tua! If the Skins end up with a very high pick, fine, but I want no part of any QB that comes from Nick Saban. 

Tony Banks- Michigan St.

Bill Burke- Michigan St.

Marcus Randall- LSU

Matt Mauck- LSU

Rohan Davey- LSU

Josh Booty- LSU

JaMarcus Russell- LSU

Greg McElroy- Alabama

AJ McCarron- Alabama

Blake Sims- Alabama

Jake Coker- Alabama

Blake Barnett- Alabama

Tua- Alabama

As you can see by these names, Saban hasn't exactly churned out NFL quality QB's. And a bunch of these guys were very successful in college playing for him. To take Tua with a high pick next year and hope that he'll be any different from the guys on the above list would be way too risky in my opinion. Obviously, the jury is still out on Tua & Hurts. But if Hurts turns out to be a good NFL QB, I'd be more inclined to credit that to Lincoln Riley, who has turned Oklahoma into a QB factory.

Many of these guys were really good game managers with leadership qualities. I figured most of them would become decent starters at some point or at least really good backups that stuck around for 10+ years but they just faded away within a few years.

Tua does appear better than the list but I don't think he explodes on the scene in the NFL either. Fortunately The Redskins wouldn't be in the market for A QQ. They will be in the market to trade down to make up for the lack of a second rounder.

3 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Tony Banks- Michigan St.

Bill Burke- Michigan St.

Marcus Randall- LSU

Matt Mauck- LSU

Rohan Davey- LSU

Josh Booty- LSU

JaMarcus Russell- LSU

Greg McElroy- Alabama

AJ McCarron- Alabama

Blake Sims- Alabama

Jake Coker- Alabama

Blake Barnett- Alabama

Tua- Alabama

In defense of tua, that list isn't exactly a who's who of first round busts.

Jamarcus Russell is probably the only other player on that list who came out of college with extremely high expectations. 

Saban may not be known for producing high end talented quarterbacks but it's not something that has bitten many teams in the ass.

We haven't even seen what Dwayne Haskins can or can not do and we are already discussing tanking for a first round QB ?!  😂 CMON!😡

With that said it is worrisome that both Kyler Murray and Daniel Jones will suit up in week 3 and our knuckle-head is "still learning" on the sidelines 🙄

Although i don't support tanking for TUA i would support tanking all of December to land the best Left Tackle in the draft 

6 hours ago, fearlessNelms said:

Tony Banks- Michigan St.

Bill Burke- Michigan St.

Marcus Randall- LSU

Matt Mauck- LSU

Rohan Davey- LSU

Josh Booty- LSU

JaMarcus Russell- LSU

Greg McElroy- Alabama

AJ McCarron- Alabama

Blake Sims- Alabama

Jake Coker- Alabama

Blake Barnett- Alabama

Tua- Alabama

Have you seen the list of Ohio State QB 's  ? its brutal 

16 hours ago, PigskinRedskin said:

Well, if we tanked and went 0-16 and get first pick while Miami would probably get 2nd pick. They pretty much know the Redskins won't draft a QB since we drafted Haskins so really, they would never do a trade.

Tell that to Arizona. If we end up with the first pick in the draft we will most likely be in a very similar situation. New coach, GM....the works. And whoever that new coach is may not like Haskins to be his guy. Then you end up with Hebert or Tua and trade Haskins. 

9 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not sure about that.  In the year prior to drafting Luck their QB situation was so bad after Manning was put on IR they made the desperate move of talking  Kerry Collins out of retirement just before the season started.  That does not sound like the actions of a team trying to tank, if that were the case they would have simply rolled with Curtis Painter which would have pretty much guaranteed the first pick.  It should be pretty obvious by now that those playoff success was mostly due to Manning, the team around him just wasn't very good and once he was gone that was exposed.  

I guess it's down to a difference of opinion, if you trust the Irsay family. Baltimore sure didn't.

21 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

I guess it's down to a difference of opinion, if you trust the Irsay family. Baltimore sure didn't.

Never said I trusted the Irsays, not sure where you are going there. I'm simply pointing out that talking a vet QB out of retirement when they realized how bad their QB situation was is simply not the actions of a team trying to lose every game. 

31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Never said I trusted the Irsays, not sure where you are going there. I'm simply pointing out that talking a vet QB out of retirement when they realized how bad their QB situation was is simply not the actions of a team trying to lose every game. 

Yeah, plus the entire coaching staff got fired along with a good chunk of the FO. I highly doubt Irsay was like, “hey guys, I need you to tank and then I’m gonna fire you all at the end of the season so it looks like we weren’t losing on purpose. Don’t say anything, ok?” and they were all like, “you got it boss!”

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Well, their getting in position for 2 of the most sought after QB's from college since the SB era seemed mighty convenient. I guess you could say they were conveniently sucky at the right times. :rolleyes:

Archived