Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tony Wylie leaving Redskins for Special Olympics

CapsSkins

A couple of years of playoff appearances will reinvigorate this fanbase.  Look at what happened after 2000 with the Ravens.  I think there's a decent percentage of former Skins fans who were simply fed up with the way this team was ran, so they followed a much better ran team less than 45 minutes away.

51 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

A couple of years of playoff appearances will reinvigorate this fanbase.  Look at what happened after 2000 with the Ravens.  I think there's a decent percentage of former Skins fans who were simply fed up with the way this team was ran, so they followed a much better ran team less than 45 minutes away.

I disagree.  A couple playoff appearances isnt gonna do it.  Especially, if they're not serious contenders.  Strong double digit win seasons, followed by deep playoff runs, maybe, but just getting in and going one and out wont make anybody run to come back, IMO.  Twenty years of erosion isnt gonna turn around in two. 

I don’t even think they need several strong double digit win seasons and playoff wins to regain their following.

What they need is change.  Real legitimate culture change.  Wins will follow that but it doesn’t even have to be a budding dynasty.  Just some star power and being consistently in the mix, with playoff appearances should do the trick.

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It's over. That's my guess. Name has to change soon. Location is not a football location. There are no new fans and no market. Hes not getting a new stadium locally. It's done. Maybe he sells as the team moves. Idk. All I know is that there is no present, let alone future for the franchise.

I think the only way the name changes is if the team moves. The problem with the sucktitude on the field and in the FO won't go away with a name change and a new stadium won't suddenly appear because of one.

I get the sense THE marketing plan to cure all that ails us, is the new stadium.

Build it, and they will come.

I am not sure Dan has realized 'they' are out of town fans.  Or, maybe he realized that, and has decided to delay building. Or, no one wants a stadium in their backyard used 10 times a year.  That was why Raljon was invented.  Sadly the best thing for Dan may be to halt the 50 yard line demo festivities and go full on nostalgia, and move back to RFK. Now, we free wifi.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I disagree.  A couple playoff appearances isnt gonna do it.  Especially, if they're not serious contenders.  Strong double digit win seasons, followed by deep playoff runs, maybe, but just getting in and going one and out wont make anybody run to come back, IMO.  Twenty years of erosion isnt gonna turn around in two. 

I didn't mean some one and dones.  I meant consistent playoff appearances where there the team is seen as a serious Super Bowl contender.

Anyone ever wonder what this team would be like today if John Kent Cooke were the owner instead of Snyder? It almost certainly would be a heck of a lot better. I never understood why Jack Kent Cooke didn't just leave the team to John instead of having it auctioned off. Must have been some sort of family issue.

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

@Skinsinparadise ya know, I wonder how long it would take. Mr Sin was saying earlier he was born in 88 and doesn't remember good teams. How many generations to rebuild a franchise that will still have to compete with 3 other franchises that didnt exist before?

No doubt Dan might have done irreparable damage :( 

6. Stadium update?

2Jet (@Y2Banana) - "Stadium update?" 

I've heard some stuff, but nothing I can share. I do think there will be either an official word or some reportable news soon.

My biggest hint: it will be north of the Potomac. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/redskins-mailbag-if-everyone-expected-0-2-start-why-everyone-freaking-out

1 hour ago, SonnySideUp said:

Anyone ever wonder what this team would be like today if John Kent Cooke were the owner instead of Snyder? It almost certainly would be a heck of a lot better. I never understood why Jack Kent Cooke didn't just leave the team to John instead of having it auctioned off. Must have been some sort of family issue.

I've wondered that before too. I don't believe he'd have done a great job, but I think a few things would be considerably better:

1) We would be somewhat better on the field - we wouldn't have ever have gone with those big-splash moves at coach and FA like Snyder did early on

2) We would be a respected and revered organization - there would be a class that still remained, even if we weren't nearly as good as we were in the 1980s

But, I just don't think John ever had the charisma and drive that his father did. So, although he may have been more likely to find and retain better people in the organization, I don't think we'd have had a continuation of the Gibbs 1 years...keep in mind, it was the Cooke-owned Redskins that were ill-prepared for and never adjusted to the FA era that began in 1993...we sucked pretty badly even before Snyder took control in 1999. 

7 hours ago, justice98 said:

If haskins puts us into superbowl contention 2 years in a row, that will do it. It just happened with the rams. 

A new stadium ain't gonna do it. 

As for this PR guy, he sucked, wish him the best but the skins are always on the wrong side of PR moves. 

48 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I've wondered that before too. I don't believe he'd have done a great job, but I think a few things would be considerably better:

1) We would be somewhat better on the field - we wouldn't have ever have gone with those big-splash moves at coach and FA like Snyder did early on

2) We would be a respected and revered organization - there would be a class that still remained, even if we weren't nearly as good as we were in the 1980s

My edits:

1) we would have been somewhat better overall, probably--no idea if Gibbs returns or if John Kent Cooke even reaches out to him

2) We would be more respected and revered as an organization than we are now...not sure how revered and respected, though

3) We would have had a GM and a front office organized in the traditional manner...no idea if we would have had numerous GMs over the last 20 years or one really good GM for most of it or one mediocre GM that JKC liked for some reason (I'm  having visions of a Turner/Casserly decade through 2005 lol)

4) We would have been rather dull on and off the field...never embarrassing, but dull, definitely

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

My edits:

1) we would have been somewhat better overall, probably--no idea if Gibbs returns or if John Kent Cooke even reaches out to him

2) We would be more respected and revered as an organization than we are now...not sure how revered and respected, though

3) We would have had a GM and a front office organized in the traditional manner...no idea if we would have had numerous GMs over the last 20 years or one really good GM for most of it or one mediocre GM that JKC liked for some reason (I'm  having visions of a Turner/Casserly decade through 2005 lol)

4) We would have been rather dull on and off the field...never embarrassing, but dull, definitely

I think that's a better description. I think the environment would have been more conducive to success, but I think we'd have Just-a-Guy leading the organization. 

2 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

So this is what i heard many years ago. Mr Cooke did not want to leave the team to John and deleted a clause in his will that John would get it when he passed. I think this was in 93 or 94 and it was written in a letter to Mr Cooke to John.  When the team sold he'd get his 10% since that was the percentage he owned and be able to live comfortably The old man felt that he really wanted to leave a legacy and have his name on it. That's what was most important to him, not the Redskins. He was passionate about education ( even though he wasn't educated) and wanted this charity to help kids w/ education. So he put this group together that ended up being his trust and they were instructed to sell the Redskins to the highest bidder to start the college foundation.  These were people that worked for him.. accountants, attorney's and even John himself.  I believe John was in the process of putting together a proposal to his dad where he would buy the team and start the foundation but the old man passed. 

3 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Well, it wasn’t that great when he was running the team in the 90’s before Snyder bought the team.  ‘93-‘98 were miserable. And John was running the team for his dad for some of it if I remember correctly.

10 hours ago, justice98 said:

Agree that scraping our way into the playoffs and having an early exit won't bring everyone back, the skins have done a lot to push ppl away. 

But it's all about winning: if they become a title contending team for an extended period of time, decades of this mockery will be forgotten.  The people will follow, no doubt.  

Kids who grow up in those geographic gray areas where there is a presence of multiple teams will gravitate towards the skins and their new stars.  

I grew up in new england, when the Patriots couldn't give tickets away.  Rows of bleachers at Sullivan stadium sat empty.  A lot of kids rooted for the bears, 49ers, cowboys etc, but not many pats fans believe it or not.  I moved away in 1999 (Brady comes aboard but hasn't broken out), then move back 8 years later, and everyone is all of a sudden a die hard pats fan.  Funny how that happens.  Stadium is always sold out, tickets are expensive, and people plan their Sundays around the patriots games.  Complete turnaround from the community. 

In a few years, if a new influx of talent has them chasing a super bowl, fans who were disgruntled aren't going to sulk about the past, they are gonna get the jersey out of the closet and get the friends together.  It's all about winning.  The Patriots have their share of drama too, they are today's top story for sure, but then they go out there and win and everyone forgets about the rest.  Winning cures all.

Archived