Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So about this Chicago Game?

Veretax

24 minutes ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm not sure this makes sense to me.  You determine sell outs by tickets sold and gate numbers right?  Those are cold hard facts.  Are you saying they manipulated and sent fake data to the nfl? 

Its an interesting question with a lot of semantics. After the 2010 season, the Skins began to remove seats from the upper deck, and have removed more on two other occasions since then. It begs the question: why would they remove them if they realized they couldn't sell them.

The other aspect is the simple eye test to people who regularly attend the games. There have been a good number of games throughout the past decade where large number of seats in the upper deck have been empty (I won't get into the crapshow that is the club level, because I don't think those seats are considered for sellout purposes). 

Finally, up until last year, the Redskins probably counted tickets that were sold to brokers as sold tickets, even if those tickets were never resold to customers who actually went to the game. Under Brian Lafemina last year, the team reportedly was not making a lot of tickets available to brokers, and thus you weren't seeing as low of prices on the secondary marker, and the resulting attendance suffered. The Skins and Lafemina have parted ways and the team has likely going to back to the old ways of doing business with brokers and ticket accounting.

I was at the Cowboys game last season and the place was nearly packed, and the official attendance was 66K. I was not at the game last week, but I saw the attendance was listed as 75K.

I think they reopened the upper deck SRO sections this season, but would that account for the 9K difference?  I don't think so. 

6 hours ago, Veretax said:

I just now read that not only is this game at Home at FexEx, but its also on Monday Night.

ACcording to the Washington Post Monday Night Is the Saddest night at least going back to 1998.

I had thought that it was just Jay Gruden who was bad on Monday Night, but then I saw that we are 1 and 15? in the last 16 attempts?  1 and 16 if you go back to 1998?

I knew I felt miserable after losing to the cowpokes at home the way we did, but someone please, tell me, is there anything at all on this team, this week, that I can be optimistic about? 

Hmmm. I'll take a stab. Johnathan Allen may play and our complete D-Line all playing together plus Kerrigan (and god forbid Sweat actually shows up) should be able to pressure Trubisky into some mistakes. Also, Reed may finally be back and if healthy, well, you know the drill here...

Look, we all know the Redskins history of futility in prime-time, especially Monday Night. We all also know that FedEx has now become a 50-50 home/away game eight times a year in addition to the other eight ACTUAL away games they play.

My hope is that this team is now so young that they are naturally insulated from the failures of Redskins teams' past on Monday Night (and prime-time games in general). Especially the key contributors on defense: Allen, Payne, Ryan Anderson, Montez Sweat, Montae Nicholson, Cole Holcomb, and Jimmie Moreland are all relatively young and are trying to write their own stories with their performances moving forward (not to mention key FA pick-ups like Landon Collins who have had nothing to do with the teams' legacy of losing on Monday Night).

On offense, young key players like McLaurin, Harmon, Roullier, Quinn, and Sprinkle (RBs, Guice and Love notwithstanding due to injuries) should be in the same frame of mind regarding how they can affect this team's fortunes in prime-time games moving forward.

I'll have whatever Wyndorf25 is having.

You bring up some good points with youth and not being part of the history of futility on Monday Night.

My worry is, that young talent alone is not enough.  The coaches need to put that young talent in position to win and until I see in game or halftime adjustments to address when teams have success, I am hesitant.  That being stated, I still feel good about our chances as Chicago's O is struggling.  If our secondary has figured out their communication problems, I like our chances.

The only positive I can come up with is after 2 losses we SHOULD get a W by now. If we lose to the Bears when we NEED a win, then I think we're headed for something like 6-10 or 5-11 at worse. The only 2 negatives are of course being on MN and Norman openning his big mouth again. Well, he was jabbing about his former GM this time so I guess I can sort of let that one go.

1 hour ago, hatchetwound said:

I'm not sure this makes sense to me.  You determine sell outs by tickets sold and gate numbers right?  Those are cold hard facts.  Are you saying they manipulated and sent fake data to the nfl?

And if the sell out streak before 2018, why were there these articles???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/the-redskins-say-theyve-sold-out-every-game-since-1967-the-streak-may-end-sunday/2018/09/11/d86d29d0-b5d4-11e8-a2c5-3187f427e253_story.html

After the game:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/sep/16/redskins-50-year-sellout-streak-ends/

Are you sure you are not thinking of them admitting about the season ticket wating list?  That wasn't a thing for a decade yet they kept up the charade. 

Of course the sell-outs stopped several years ago.  

Anyone who attended those games (I went to almost every one from 2001-2018) could see that by 2016 forward there were thousands of unoccupied seats in the upper deck.  The team was giving those to ticket brokers to then sell on stubhub for pennies on the dollar just to allow the team to keep up the charade that the games were sold out.  It was all sort of a joke - the team would announce 70,000 in attendance and everyone at the stadium with two eyes and a brain knew that was a complete lie.   Were they giving manipulated/fake data to the NFL?   I don't know.   It depends on your definition of fake data I guess.  The Redskins gave those tickets to brokers for tremendous discounts, those tickets were never sold to actual fans, and those seats remained empty throughout the game . . . yet the Redskins would announce an attendance figure that included those numbers.  I mean, this is not something I'm making up or theorizing about.  It's pretty widely understood.   

In that first article you cite from September 2018, Colts game:   "The announced attendance of 57,013 was the lowest for a Redskins home opener in the 21-year history of FedEx Field -- down more than 21,000 from the 78,658 who attended the Redskins' 2017 home opener against the NFC East rival Philadelphia Eagles."

You really think attendance actually dropped over 25% (!!) in 12 months?  And that this just happened, coincidentally, to be the same year they finally announced the season ticket waiting list was actually fiction?  No.   These seats were never sold to fans in the first place and hadn't been for several years.   The team was embarrassed to admit it, but when they finally did because of Brian LaFemina's push, the drop-off was staggering.  What's more likely?   That the team went from a waiting list to not-selling out, all in one offseason?   Or that the team has been fudging the numbers for years and then finally decided to come clean that there were tickets for sale. 

Honestly, if you're still skeptical, go check out ticketmaster and choose the Bears game or any other upcoming game.  The dots in blue are the seats that the Redskins are saying are unsold, primary market, available from the box office.  There aren't all that many of them.   The seats in pink are re-sale seats, secondary market.  There are tens of thousands of them. For whatever reason, the Redskins are still embarrassed that so many seats are unsold, so they show seats as pink when really they should be blue.   Last year, many of these seats showed as blue.   The team is saying basically that all these seats have been purchased by someone who is now listing them for re-sale, when they're not sold at all.  

28 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

That was a fun night, was at that game. Was sitting in the end zone right end front of where RG3 fumbled right into Garcons hands for the score. 

That was my first year of college, i was up in Long Island. There was one other skins fan so we watched the game together with a couple of our friends who were hugeee giants fans. **** got intense for a while 😂😂😂 

16 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Cheerleaders are pretty good too ;) 

I bet some like the halftime shows.  Oh wait, did Bruce officially decide to do away with those as punishment to the away fans overrunning our stadium?

It's a petty non football move, but I think it was extremely rude to ax the halftime show in our last game last year. Not to just fans of the half time show, including those in the entertainment industry, fans of music, or simply men women and children being dragged to games.  It was rude to do to OUR own halftime show employees. As I understand it, they didn't get advanced notice that it was axed.  I wonder if they got paid.  I doubt it, since cheerleaders don't get paid. Or at least didn't, when I dated one back in the day.

Don't fight it. All in Chicago, until we see we can win on a big stage.  We basically go 8-8 every years yet are basically winless at night spanning what must be now pushing 2 decades.

20 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

I wouldn't go if someone literally gave me free tickets and offered to drive me there with free food and drink...

Really?? Then we as Redskins fans shouldn't be surprised that there is no home field advantage.

19 hours ago, Dissident2 said:

Absolutely nothing. 

The team is a soulless, gutless, classless, barren wasteland of ineptitude. Any individual on the team who does NOT fall under that category - and there are a few - is still, inevitably, swallowed up by it. 

Sorry. 

Are we the new factory of sadness?? Roll tide roll and fight that **** back. That was Snuce's plan to fight the swallowing.

19 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

Home field advantage, that's a good one. 😂

Sad

Maybe it's high time the team try a little bit of good ole fashioned PR.  Give us more reasons to show up.  Spice up the game day experience, DAN.  If football alone is not doing enough, try something new.

A terrible towel giveaway.  OK, a Terryible McClaurin theme'd towel, and ride the positive buzz he is generating.  Run TV ads, come see Trending Up Terry.  Bobbleheads of a player, yes which opposition fans will throw on the field, as needed. Give away a free coupon for a Popeye's chicken sandwich :ols:. If the Skins score 3 TDs or win give away coupons. Do something to make the fans show up, and stay.  Try to implement a copycat tomahawk chop, or some variation.  

Bobbleheads seem all the rage and I think a bunch of bobblehead loving bobbleheads would come out of the woodwork. Promise a bobblehead halftime show that will not be forgotten. Implement a comedic event, like the Nats do with the presidents race in every game. 

Bah whats the point we are literally too stupid to even try to market ourselves. If the new PR guy is lurking here, send me a message if you need help.

18 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

This is one of the most depressing threads I've ever read on ES. 

The Stadium used to be my "go-to" page, but not anymore.  

The vitriol, pessimism,  sadness, apathy, whatever, (which I understand) , is tiresome.  

I'm a glass half-full guy. Hell, my job as an HR consultant for career development demands it.

This team is like that worker who keeps shooting himself in the foot every week. Means well, great overall guy, but comes to work late, makes inappropriate comments in the breakroom, and CCs the company president when sharing with his co-workers pictures of his newest **** tattoo.

Honestly? What do we have to look at that's positive?

More than people let on.

Trubisky is awful. Traditionally this is a game where he throws for 300 and 4 TDs. But, this is also a chance for Manusky to get aggressive and attack. 

The Bears D is good, but their O is so bad that this fits our offensive strategy better. We can go for burst yards and scores and not worry about TOP. 

The offense has been decent this season. Not great. And the Chicago D is going to give us problems. But being able to go for burst is going to help a bit.

I don't envision good things, but they sure as **** can line up for a streak breaker.

That's the biggest thing... Streaks can't last forever. So maybe this is the year!

4 hours ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe it's high time the team try a little bit of good ole fashioned PR.  Give us more reasons to show up.  Spice up the game day experience, DAN.  If football alone is not doing enough, try something new.

A terrible towel giveaway.  OK, a Terryible McClaurin theme'd towel, and ride the positive buzz he is generating.  Run TV ads, come see Trending Up Terry.  Bobbleheads of a player, yes which opposition fans will throw on the field, as needed. Give away a free coupon for a Popeye's chicken sandwich :ols:. If the Skins score 3 TDs or win give away coupons. Do something to make the fans show up, and stay.  Try to implement a copycat tomahawk chop, or some variation.  

Bobbleheads seem all the rage and I think a bunch of bobblehead loving bobbleheads would come out of the woodwork. Promise a bobblehead halftime show that will not be forgotten. Implement a comedic event, like the Nats do with the presidents race in every game. 

Bah whats the point we are literally too stupid to even try to market ourselves. If the new PR guy is lurking here, send me a message if you need help.

I think that Dan could use an Intelligence Bobblehead.

2142789200_IntelligenceBobblehead.jpg.c1fbc687f50746bb1e2fed01fb3a5d3a.jpg

20 hours ago, Bang said:

we absolutely can snatch one from Chicago.

Can they?  Yes. 

It's possible.

But in order to do that, they have to be smart.  On defense, they need to be creative and pressure "that Mitch guy" so he doesn't have the extra time to find receivers.  They need to disguise coverage, and confuse him.  If you let him be comfortable, the Bears have weapons, and he will find them.  

The Bears have played 2 very good defenses in the first 2 weeks.  They are saying their offense is better than it looked but looked worse because of the competition.

Do you have belief in Manusky and company to put together a game plan and execute it to generate pressure?  I'm not sure if I do.

On offense, the Bears' run defense is really, really good.  So is Jay going to try and run against it on 1st down consistently?  Because there are 2 competing issues:

1. You don't want to get into second and long.  So an incomplete pass on first down isn't great, so the thought is to run on first to get into second and manageable.  

2. However, if the Bears know you're going to run on first down, they will most likely stop it, so you're in 2nd and 8+ anyway.

It's really hard to just trust you need to pass more on 1st down because more often than not, that will work out better for you.  It almost runs counter-intuitive.  

In 5 years, Jay has not shown the ability to do this.  

If Jay tries to run on first down consistently, and fails (hell, it might work, who knows) then the 'Skins lose the game, because the Bears pass defense in known passing situations is beastly.

The key is going to be to stay out of "known" situations.  If they can do that, they can move the ball.

If they don't, then they won't, and could be shut out.

19 hours ago, Coach Janky Spanky said:

You really think attendance actually dropped over 25% (!!) in 12 months?  And that this just happened, coincidentally, to be the same year they finally announced the season ticket waiting list was actually fiction?  No.   These seats were never sold to fans in the first place and hadn't been for several years.   The team was embarrassed to admit it, but when they finally did because of Brian LaFemina's push, the drop-off was staggering.  What's more likely?   That the team went from a waiting list to not-selling out, all in one offseason?   Or that the team has been fudging the numbers for years and then finally decided to come clean that there were tickets for sale. 

I do think the higher secondary market prices played a role last season.  To be sure there have been considerable number of empties for several years, but it seemed so much more magnified last season out there, just based on the eye test.

Monday night should be interesting. On Stubhub a few minutes ago, club tickets for $31 (that includes fees) are the second item on the list of all tickets available, sorted by price low to high. Three days before the game. Wow! 

On 9/19/2019 at 11:08 AM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

No ****? Hmm. What year was that?

I know it’s been answered, but you missed your chance to solve a fun logic problem: Skins are 1-16 at Fedex since 1998.  2-16 since Fedex Field opened in 1997.  What year was the ‘other’ win?  😊

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

I know it’s been answered, but you missed your chance to solve a fun logic problem: Skins are 1-16 at Fedex since 1998.  2-16 since Fedex Field opened in 1997.  What year was the ‘other’ win?  😊

Yeah. We went over this yesterday. 

Stupid that it says 1-16 since 1998, why not just leave that part out and just say 2-16 since 1997 instead, since that’s the year the stadium opened in the first place? Is the Washington post THAT dumb?

Archived