Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whats going to happen when Alex Smith is healthy next year

REDSKIN JR

Bruce will piss Alex off and get into a pissing match stalemate with him. In the end, Bruce will not trade him and will teach him a valuable life lesson....in the meantime, we will get closer to the prize. Alex and Trent will be forced to open up restaurants in the DC area just to have jobs and survive. Bruce and Dan will dine at these venues after home Redskins losses. Everyone wins and goes home happy.

7 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

No he wore down and more than Alex Smith got hurt. That's what happens when you're 34.

Of Colt McCoy would have stayed healthy. He would've been just as good as Smith. 

Agreed Smith hardly did anything to win games 10 tds in 9 games is nothing to look up if we were down more than 7 points there was little hope smith could bring us back, the embarrassing loss on monday night was the actual team we had in the wins we got lucky, had mccoy not gotten hurt he coulda easily done what smith did and we would have a 50/50 chance to win games maybe make the playoffs and get smoked in em

8 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

No he wore down and more than Alex Smith got hurt. That's what happens when you're 34.

Of Colt McCoy would have stayed healthy. He would've been just as good as Smith. 

I agree AP was a big part of the early season success. But the idea he wore down is just not true. AP is in amazing shape. In fact as late as game 15 he still had a 119 yds on 26 carries against TN.  He had 19 carries the week before. 

It had a lot more to do with virtually the entire oline was injured and they were bringing guys off the street and doing the same with QBs. If I am DC playing the Redskins last year, especially after Alex was injured, I am making sure AP does not beat me. He was the only consistent weapon early on so teams started taking it away and without a serious passing threat there was no reason to do anything else. 

55 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I agree AP was a big part of the early season success. But the idea he wore down is just not true. AP is in amazing shape. In fact as late as game 15 he still had a 119 yds on 26 carries against TN.  He had 19 carries the week before. 

It had a lot more to do with virtually the entire oline was injured and they were bringing guys off the street and doing the same with QBs. If I am DC playing the Redskins last year, especially after Alex was injured, I am making sure AP does not beat me. He was the only consistent weapon early on so teams started taking it away and without a serious passing threat there was no reason to do anything else. 

I agree the olines injuries had a lot to do with it. With that being said just because AP is in great shape doesn't mean he didn't wear down. The guy had a number of injuries that he had to deal with at the end of the year. So to say he didn't wear down is wrong in my opinion. Yes a lot of players deal with injuries, but as we all know the older you get the more those injuries slow you down.

I'm sure that was part of the reason why his stats got worse. With the combination with the offensive line injuries. That's a lot of why this team took a **** last year. Not to mention we signed a guy off the street to play QB.

My point was Alex Smith might have been around with our 6-3 record, but losing him was only a small part as to why the team did so bad after he got hurt. A lot of other factors went into it. 

1 hour ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Agreed Smith hardly did anything to win games 10 tds in 9 games is nothing to look up if we were down more than 7 points there was little hope smith could bring us back, the embarrassing loss on monday night was the actual team we had in the wins we got lucky, had mccoy not gotten hurt he coulda easily done what smith did and we would have a 50/50 chance to win games maybe make the playoffs and get smoked in em

Exactly

Statistically AP was fairly close, considering all the injuries and non sense and defensive focus in the first 9 vs. the second 7 games.

First 9:

9 games

155 attempts (17.2 pg)

672 yards (4.33/carry)

4 TD

Second 7:

7 games

96 attempts (13.71/game)

370 yards (3.85/carry)

3 TD

The thing that stands out is that the team went away from him. His carries per game being reduced by almost 4/game is significant. That's a Gruden issue. But it's also the fact that the team wasn't as competitive, so the ball had to go in the air more often. 

Alex Smith was boring.

Alex Smith was statistically not great.

Alex Smith and his supporting cast were not, under any circumstances, going to be coming back from a significant deficit. 

But what Alex Smith did was bring a respect to the ability to throw the ball and lead a team. Defenses needed to account for him, even as far as scrambling ability goes. But once he went out, everything changed. 

Adrian Peterson is a big reason that Alex Smith was able to quarterback a 6-3 team because the team didn't need to rely on Smith's arm. Alex Smith was a big reason that AP was getting more carries because he minimized mistakes and kept the ball in Skins possession. The offensive line made both go. And when the defense was good it complemented everything. It was actually fairly complementary football. The issue being that the team was still poorly assembled, so ultimately the team wasn't going to go far regardless. 

The reasons for the Skins early season success was a combination of all of those things. You can't discount one piece of it because you're frustrated at the resources given up. The trade, in hindsight, hurt. Especially considering we could have had a guy like Matt Moore quarterback the team for dirt cheap. But I'm not talking about the FO's decision making with this post. I would need a lot more space to do that.

I just don't enjoy reading the disrespect for what Smith did here. He helped turn a poorly assembled team to being something that his fit made a difference. 

He was not, and never was, the REASON they were 6-3. But he was a significant part of it. 

11 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I wouldn't say "perfect", even if his mind and personality lend themselves to the role...his contract keeps it from being "perfect".

What I meant by perfect was that Alex comes off as selfless so he would probably be a willing mentor to Haskins while also filling in as a backup if he's healthy and I know the odds are against him on that but if he's sitting up in the box with Dan then that tells me he's going to get every chance necessary to get back to 100% healthy so its just a question of can that leg heal.

I don't really look at the contract as an issue anymore, he has $20M left of that guaranteed money and we can spread that over the next 2 years to soften that blow if we post June him.  We could actually use this years carryover money from Trent along with $10M of next year's cap and be done with him before next season if we wanted to make a move early.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The reasons for the Skins early season success was a combination of all of those things.

I'd argue they were also very fortunate, which happens from time to time in a league built for parity.  Those field goals that typically get made against you, get missed.  The other team throws up on themselves, rather than you doing the throwing up.  Remember the Bucs game? Remember how pathetic the Cardinals were? Remember how terrible the Skins looked vs. the upper end teams in the league? Schedule, lucky breaks, calls, all that jazz comes into play.  All that stuff that typically doesn't go the right way for the Skins, they had in droves to start the year last year. Just look back at the few years we've made the playoffs and you'll see similar events, where the stars aligned.  The 2018 Redskins weren't the first meh team to get off to a hot start record wise and then fall apart once the going got tough and things start to return to the mean. That said, it's totally possible they could have eeked into the playoffs if Alex stayed healthy last year.  He was obviously better than anything else they put out there after him.  Perhaps with more time in the system and some better weapons down the road, he would have been better as well.  

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'd argue they were also very fortunate, which happens from time to time in a league built for parity.  Those field goals that typically get made against you, get missed.  The other team throws up on themselves, rather than you doing the throwing up.  Remember the Bucs game? Remember how pathetic the Cardinals were? Remember how terrible the Skins looked vs. the upper end teams in the league? Schedule, lucky breaks, calls, all that jazz comes into play.  All that stuff that typically doesn't go the right way for the Skins, they had in droves to start the year last year. Just look back at the few years we've made the playoffs and you'll see similar events, where the stars aligned.  The 2018 Redskins weren't the first meh team to get off to a hot start record wise and then fall apart once the going got tough and things start to return to the mean. That said, it's totally possible they could have eeked into the playoffs if Alex stayed healthy last year.  He was obviously better than anything else they put out there after him.  Perhaps with more time in the system and some better weapons down the road, he would have been better as well.  

I don't disagree with a single thing said in this post.

44 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

^^^^ No it wouldn't. All of us probably say that many times but at the end of the day, we are Skins fans. It's in our blood (unfortunately)

Yes it absolutely would.  It's borderline almost there right now, but that would be the final straw for me.

14 hours ago, zskins said:

I hope you guys do realize this thread was created by Bruce. 

There is no more posts after the initial post. 

Doesn't know how to spell opinions. The same way he can't pronounce Kirk and says Kurt instead. 

Hey Bruce you won't be here next year so why do you even give a ****! :rofl89:

Why would Bruce not be here if we're going 11-5?

19 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yes it absolutely would.  It's borderline almost there right now, but that would be the final straw for me.

So, who would you like at QB? I mean, I’m kinda with ya on Alex not coming back and being the team’s QB assuming he’s not near 100% and basically two years out of football. But what’s your solution?

I assume it’s ideally a developed Haskins. But we have to see if that happens. 

A new rookie? Case? Colt? A journeyman vet we sign? 

On 9/17/2019 at 11:12 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

It just seems like I see 6-2 a lot here. Maybe I'm imagining it.

You aren't imaging it.  I see it all the time too.  I don't know what is wrong with people.

The last time the Redskins were 6-2 was in 2008 under Zorn.  They looked horrible, and rightfully finished up 8-8.

Before that was 2000 under Norv, who was fired at 7-6 while still in playoff contention.

Norv also started 1996 7-1 and somehow managed to miss the playoffs.

On 9/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, NickyJ said:

True. Not many people remember that **** got 5-3-1 with DeSean, Garcon, Crowder, Reed, Davis, and Thompson while Alex was able to get 6-3 without DeSean, Garcon, and half his games without Crowder. It puts a different spin on the narrative altogether.

The Redskins QB in 2016 had was the the 5th or 6th best QB that year, according to the advanced stats . https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2016 http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2016 Sure, he benefited from some great weapons... which were immediately allowed to walk away.  Thanks Bruce.

Alex Smith in 2018 was the 26th or 29th best QB.  https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb/2018 http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr/_/year/2018  He had nothing to do with our 6-3 record.  Case Keenum or Joe Flacco could have done the same.

5 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

You’re on point with above in my view as well. The Skins were very much an average football team that wasn’t going to stand a chance against upper echelon teams and one that could be beat by below average teams. When average, it will require a few lucky bounces or out of norm big plays to get to 9 wins resulting in playoffs (even powerhouse teams have games during course of year that require some luck). 

My appreciation for Smith and last season was bigger than Smith himself, it had to do with establishing an identity and a clear organizational vision of how the 2018 Redskins were going to win games.  This is where I lose some people, but the QB being an ultra self-aware, selfless, and solely focused on W/L had the chance to shift the entire organization and players to establishing a similar set of values.

Dare I say... a healthy culture! Even if it were fleeting, it was good to have for a short period of time. Would’ve loved to have a team highly influenced by Smiths approach handed off to a young guy. Who knows, round two of Smith be upon us ;) 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

So, who would you like at QB? I mean, I’m kinda with ya on Alex not coming back and being the team’s QB assuming he’s not near 100% and basically two years out of football. But what’s your solution?

You sink or swim with Haskins or a new drafted rookie QB.  

20 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Smith has been Dan's BFF lately. Since Dan's a jock sniffer and needs friends he has befriended Smith. That worries me frankly.

Hmmm...I always figured Smith would tow the company line, collect his checks, and retire when it became necessary to make a decision. I don't begrudge him this strategy nor resent 1 penny he ends up getting. As genuine concern for him, I hope he never plays another down... but if playdates with Short Round keep that money flowing smoove.... where would you be on Sunday?

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Either way Case and McCoy shouldn't be here.

I mean depending on what we end up with in draft picks, chances are we take a QB to the roster. Add Haskins, and well if the third is Smith so beit. 

I'll address this more if we get there...

But as a Smith fan, this is the only way I'd want Smith, too. If he's there in conjunction with Haskins and/or another rookie/vet and he's third string. If he wins the job, fair and square, that's fine. But 1) I doubt he ever plays and 2) I doubt he'll win the job.

Archived