Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

21 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Well that's where you and me differ. I'm not a "customer" I'm a fan. And although  I don't consider the Redskins my family they are a big part of my life and always will be, I will support them through thick & thin. 

Ok & thats your CHOICE.  Where you seem to be confused is that you apparently think that makes you better than fans who have chosen to not give a **** anymore.  You are wrong.  

• Like 4
36 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Every week our stadium looks like a away game. In December when we are 3-9 or 4-8 understandable, Week 2 verse the Cowboys ?! Shame on everyone in the local area. Go ahead and roast me ITS THE TRUTH 

You tripping, that's my dad's birthday this sunday and I'd rather take that money make sure he eats then drag him out there to watch us get massacred in person for $400.  You dont look at it as being a customer because you can afford to set your money on fire and claim that's what real fans do

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 3
22 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Well that's where you and me differ. I'm not a "customer" I'm a fan. And although  I don't consider the Redskins my family they are a big part of my life and always will be, I will support them through thick & thin. 

Honestly, take a year off. it's good for you.

I was largely checked out the last two years. And it was great.

And I'm more checked in this year, because I kind of missed following a team intensely. And it's been perversely entertaining.

Honestly,guys, before global warming destroys the earth, go apple picking. No one ever regrets going apple picking.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Every week our stadium looks like a away game. In December when we are 3-9 or 4-8 understandable, Week 2 verse the Cowboys ?! Shame on everyone in the local area. Go ahead and roast me ITS THE TRUTH 

Why should I have wasted my money and my entire Sunday at that game?

I can see people are getting a but emotional regarding my response of the fan base quitting on this team in week 2 verse our most hated rival in the Cowboys so with that I will bid you all a good day, if it makes you feel better Flame away fella's , and by the way, you are all correct I have no business telling you what to do with your money. Have a good one 😀

5 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I can see people are getting a but emotional regarding my response of the fan base quitting on this team in week 2 verse our most hated rival in the Cowboys so with that I will bid you all a good day, if it makes you feel better Flame away fella's , and by the way, you are all correct I have no business telling you what to do with your money. Have a good one 😀

I just find it hilarious that you, for a second, really truly believe that the Cowboys/Redskins is some heated rivalry 😂

Skins 2-8 in the last 10 meetings.  I’m sure fans can’t wait to go and watch the Redskins get humiliated vs a division rival on their own field!  Stop living in the past.

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 4
Just now, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I can see people are getting a but emotional regarding my response of the fan base quitting on this team in week 2 verse our most hated rival in the Cowboys

I am actually completely unemotional & numb.  I wish that wasn’t the case. Even for the first couple of years under Snyder when we were a **** show and I would get pissed off about it was better because at least I felt something. Apathy… The defining characteristic of the Snyder era.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Honestly, take a year off. it's good for you.

I was largely checked out the last two years. And it was great.

And I'm more checked in this year, because I kind of missed following a team intensely. And it's been perversely entertaining.

Honestly,guys, before global warming destroys the earth, go apple picking. No one ever regrets going apple picking.

Tell that to this woman...

https://www.sunjournal.com/2018/10/10/mexico-woman-injured-when-subaru-hits-her-in-livermore-apple-orchard/

1 hour ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I see you've been taking a lot of flack for this post, so I just want to tell you, I'm not judging you. Lots of people pay money to be tied up for hours full of whippings and beatings. If that's what keeps the spark alive in the relationship, you go for it man, you do you.

• Haha 1

I don't want these "teams" , owner, FO and coaches to spoil my memories of the Redskins. These are not THE Redskins...not even the "Replacements". I've tuned them out 90% and just check the score and stop that at halftime. I was getting way too upset watching these guys where it effected my attitude on other activities. Like stopping smoking...it was hard but I kicked the habit... I go back to 1969....it took allot to get me not to care.

I really wonder if this isn't Danny payback for all the media and fan derision...how could a old fan as he has claimed tolerate this **** show??

• Like 1

I feel like writing this up might be cathartic or bring some closure for me. I think a lot of older folks don't understand how absolutely non-existent the fan base is with younger folks today.

I was born in 1990, grew up in the 90's hearing about the good old days, the Gibbs years. My folks always had good things to say about RFK, about the culture of the team, how the players had grit, attitude, and honor and were generally people who were class acts who cared about the Washington area and the people who lived there. When Snyder bought the team, they were pretty disgusted.

I started following the team in earnest when I was 11 (2001) and started posting on this message board when I was 14 in 2004. Gibbs coming back was a huge moment in my development as a fan and I honestly look back on those years fondly. Clinton Portis, Chris Cooley, and Sean Taylor are the guys from that era I'll remember. You know what else I remember though? All the fans who excused, or worse vouched for, Daniel Snyder every year.

The Zorn years were awful, but I was still there. Bruce Allen coming on board was enough to give some hope, and so were RGIII and Shanahan. What finally broke the camel's back for me as a fan was how RGIII's leg was destroyed and his career tossed in the trash for a chance to progress in one postseason game. RGIII should have been pulled from the game, but this sick, morally bankrupt organization bred a culture over the years that ensured no adult was capable of making that decision. So when RGIII's leg predictably gave out in that game, I was done. I've been checked out since that point and I'm much happier for it.

It's an awful feeling to go your whole life rooting for a city you hail from and call home when all of your neighbors are from out of state and root for better teams. When the Caps won the cup last year I cried in the bar. That was 28 years of built up frustration, anger, and sadness finally released all at once. I understand why no one my age is a Redskins fan. This city isn't their home, and if it is, the Skins have been awful their entire lives. Not just awful, they aren't even loveable losers. There is a sickness, oozing and festering in this organization that doesn't make any of them likeable. Basically no one my age, truly a DC native or otherwise, likes this team. We love the Nats, the Caps, DC United, but not the Skins.

Being almost 30 now, and having received a decent university education in organizational leadership and having worked in the professional world for a while now, I can easily say that the Redskins dysfunction and poor corporate culture is 100% a reflection on Dan Snyder. If the Redskins were a publicly traded company, Dan Snyder would have been fired by the board a long time ago. Dan Snyder isn't a leader and he certainly isn't a good person. What he is is a marketing executive who's failed upward his entire life. An organization's culture stems from the top. If there's accountability and good leadership ability at the top, that flows downward. If there's sickness at the top, good people will not be able to achieve what they're capable of and will leave. Tale as old as time and it's not much of a mystery.

I'm deeply resentful of the pilfering, nickel and diming, scheming, lying,  ownership of this team. Snyder has robbed me of youthful years and money being sunk into this team. Mostly the time. Money is replaceable, time is not. Dan Snyder has spent 20 years milking each and every fan until they throw in the towel. There's hardly any fans left. He turned the Skins from a football team into a marketing firm that puts on a kabuki theatre that resembles football. Every business move he's made with the Skins has been with one goal in mind - keep people hopeful a turnaround is coming. That's it. He sells hope, as any marketer does.

I'm grateful that Joe Gibbs came back and gave me some good years. He's a role model, a wonderful man. He is inspiring, and so were the players he helped guide through this hurricane of an organization. I'm getting married next year and moving overseas to be with my wife. So for me, this truly is likely to be goodbye to both the Redskins and the NFL. I made sure to see the Nats in person one last time this season. Can't say I have even the slightest desire to do so with the Skins. I hope Dan Snyder realizes everyone hates his guts. Nothing would make me happier than to see that morally bankrupt husk of a person become penniless. I hope no government gives him a stadium financed with taxpayer money and that the Skins value tanks and he has to sell to pay his debts. I hope a sound businessman (or woman) with some integrity buys the team for bottom dollar and turns this organization around, even if only to give them a quality, honorable culture while they lose.

Hail to the Redskins. Fight for old DC.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  1. Dan Snyder has ruined football for Washington, D.C. We will begin our argument for the removal of Dan Snyder here today.
  2. Notice I didn’t say that Dan Snyder has ruined the Redskins, or soured fans on the experience of rooting for the Redskins. Sure, he has done those things too, but he has done almost nothing more egregious than his efforts to erode the love of America’s pastime in the nation’s capital—also a top 5 media market in the United States. Think about that. Everyone reading this will think about this from a different perspective. If you ever were a season ticket holder, you’re likely a former season ticket holder (like me). If you used to try and get to a few games a year, you have likely now decided that FedEx Field is no fun to attend anymore (like me). If you like to schedule your whole Sunday around the Redskins on television, you may be among those willing to entertain—gasp—doing other things on Sunday afternoons. I am not there yet, but I am very much in the minority when it comes to people I have always gathered with to enjoy Redskins games. Worse, what I am seeing isn’t just a lack of interest in getting together to watch the Redskins on Sundays. It’s a lack of interest in getting together to watch the NFL on Sunday. This is a pretty big deal if you really think about it. Ultimately, this is what the owners in the NFL should genuinely be concerned about.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/9/30/20891378/looks-like-someone-has-a-sixpack-of-the-mondays-danhastogo

14 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

He always follows it up with a loss, though.  They got creamed today.

Is anyone seeing tickets to the Pats game for less then $150 not including fees?  He wants us to pay $200 to watch them get massacred in person, and calling us out if we dont?

Talking about we need to show up to a game this year, i have, has he shown up to one yet?

I’m going to be there, unfortunately... looking forward to seeing The Goat and a bunch of goats play....

• Like 1

Being a Redskins fan is like dating an alcoholic.  You want to work through things and hope for the best but you’re damn sure embarrassed to tell anybody.  If things go on too long with no change.  You leave.  

Edited by -JB-
2 hours ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

I don't look at it as people quitting in week two of 2019. They're quitting in years, 18, 19, or 20 of hopelessness. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m talking with a couple close friends who are Dolphins fans about an old-school, shot4shot, hate drunk pity party in week 6.

Ill let y’all know how that turns out.

Might be a good one. Group hugs for both fan bases. That WILL be an empty stadium. Temps will be uncomfortable to sit in a hot stadium watching a green rookie QB Vs a second year QB whose original team already gave up on him. Also lot more to do in Miami like on a boat or a beach.

Edited by SlinginSammy HOF '63

Not to make light of this but I’m friends with many young redskins fans. I’m 27 and their is a good number of younger redskins fans I see around the Virginia Beach bars on sundays. That’s obviously a small amount but I know from going to the games riding the metro in from some DC bars their is still a younger crowd out there. To say the fan base is completely non existent with this generation is false IMO

7 minutes ago, max21 said:

Not to make light of this but I’m friends with many young redskins fans. I’m 27 and their is a good number of younger redskins fans I see around the Virginia Beach bars on sundays. That’s obviously a small amount but I know from going to the games riding the metro in from some DC bars their is still a younger crowd out there. To say the fan base is completely non existent with this generation is false IMO

Maybe it’s just me, but I didn’t take it to mean that there are literally no young Skins fans.

After all, there are still a number of mid thirties and older parents like myself that force the abuse on our own children.

However if the kids have a choice, there is nothing to draw them to this team.

• Like 2