samy316

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

On 9/17/2019 at 8:56 AM, ThomasRoane said:

Yeah, and who was the QB?  Alex Smith.  No serious Redskin's fan believed he could take us to the promised land.  

It felt like a replacement team with him as QB, and AP as our lead back. No genuine identity for the team. 

• Like 3

Well to counter all of the optimism of the last page...

There isn’t much to be optimistic about.  Insofar as this season, our offense lacks an identity.  Offensively, they can’t move the ball on the ground and their drives have been draining and infrequently productive.  Our defense is horrid.  They’re getting passed all over.  Now this could have been two games against two top 5 offenses, I guess we will see against Chicago.

The history of the team leading up to this season is what really makes me cast doubt on this year’s version of the team.  Since Snyder bought the team, it has been mediocre at best with a sprinkling of greatness.  We had a couple good years with Gibbs 2 and Williams.  Great ground games with exceptional defense.  That was an identity.  Boring, but it did well.  Shanahan and RG3.  THAT was exciting.  Man, that’s the most fun I’ve had watching the Redskins since I can remember (can’t remember Rypien, Monk, Clark, Byner and all them too well).  The rest of the teams have been mostly mediocre.  The glimpses of good, like with Cousins, were soon squashed by management.

We could have had Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay if management played its cards right.  Could have had a healthy RG3 or a Cousins on a decent contract.  Could have had Gregg Williams as a head coach but we dicked our way into Zorn.  Just absolute **** up after **** up.

Now, we have a few good young guys like McLaurnen or any of our stud D linemen.  Or even Haskins possibly.  I wish they succeed...

How am I to believe, after all I’ve seen with this team, that this will be any different?  This isn’t like the Caps, where the pieces were always there and they were winning the division every season.  With the Redskins, the pieces always change and they are towards the bottom of the division more often than they are at the top.  The Caps have an identity that has stuck with them over the last decade.  The Redskins have no real identity.

• Like 4

On 9/16/2019 at 12:03 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Dont think im gonna watch MNF. I watched maybe half of the games last year and half the year before that.

Eventually you want to spend the little bit of time you actually have, doing stuff you enjoy.

I'm definitely not staying up on a Monday night anymore 

• Like 1

1: Marty Schottenheimer knows how to win, and that's what Redskins fans demand in a coach.

Daniel Snyder

latest?cb=20120308131634

2: "Steve Spurrier will bring a supercharged, exciting and dynamic brand of football to our great fans. His ability to energize players and teams is unprecedented. The Redskins deserve to be back at the Super Bowl and I am immensely confident that Steve is the coach to get us there."

Dan Snyder

3:Gibbs helped define what the Washington Redskins stand for - integrity, hard work, determination, winning and championships.

Daniel Snyder

joe-gibbs-redskins-name.jpg

4: "We knew of Jim's stellar offensive reputation, so we hired him as coordinator, but we also suspected he would be a strong candidate for head coach," Snyder told reporters Saturday.  "After our first six-hour interview with him, I told Joe [former coach Joe Gibbs], 'This guy would make a terrific head coach.' 

ZornFace.jpg

5: "We've got the foundation here now ... with Bruce, and coach Shanahan is our leader," Snyder said. "They're going to be a great team."

Bruce+Allen+Washington+Redskins+Announce

6: "I think terrific," Snyder said when asked how good Gruden's background is for Griffin. "Terrific. As someone who plays that position and understands it as well as he does, it's going to be a lot of fun."

"If you look at his experience and what he's done over the length of his career, it's really diverse," Snyder said. "He understands the quarterback position. He understands offense. He's been a head coach [in the Arena League]. He's someone that really understands the game from every facet."

Dan Snyder

What's next?

tenor.gif?itemid=13908972

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 11
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

dunno, we start playing like KC and all the fans come back.

You must be new here.

This website didn't even exist in anyone's imagination the last time that happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Those quotes @SkinsFTW posted make me squirm in embarrassment. This guy has literally tired everything and continues to fail.

Snyder, please sell the team. You are an embarrassment to the area, the Skins and the NFL.

Sell the team, move the team or give up majority ownership at the very least.  

Edited by dyst
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/18/2019 at 10:48 PM, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

dunno, we start playing like KC and all the fans come back. And let’s not pretend like KC has competent football people running the show.  

If KC doesn’t have competent people running the show then what would you call Redskins people?  Simple, jack.

52AA9E7E-0DC8-45A9-A696-E24885A59E95.jpeg

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 years old and I'm getting ready to sell my Redskins memoribikia and get rid of my Redskins shrine. Of course all of my stuff is from the glory years so at least they have value unlike the **** show from the last 20 years. I no longer get emotional watching this team. That's all you need to know.

• Like 8
  • Sad 3

Growing up as a kid, my first experience that led me to being a Redskins fan was when I was 6 or 7, didn't know anything about football, but my brother { 5 yrs older } was watching the Redskins and Cowboys playing on tv in the 70's. He was rooting for the Cowboys, so in natural fashion I began cheering for the Redskins. The Redskins won, I jumped up and down in joy, not knowing what the hec happened, and my brother hit me, I ran crying to my mom, and the rest is history.

From that point on, I began following the Redskins. In high school, my most proud moment was when they beat a good and playoff bound Chargers team 40-17. Gibbs was their OC.

Gibbs comes to DC, and after a rough start, got things together.  The rest is history. But a damn good one.

Back then, way before twitter, facebook, or Plan B, they were a perennial powerhouse, and every team in the league knew they'd be in a dogfight of a game playing the Redskins. That kind of respect just made fans like myself beam with glory even more,  Other teams were good, and when one of them were to play the Redskins on MNF, it was 'must-see-tv'.

It was great being a Redskins fan back then, all the winning, the Super Bowls, the great known and unknown heroes who dawned the Redskins helmet, knowing that chances were good that we were going to win the game, not even thinking about them not matching up against a hot opponent because I knew Gibbs would find a chink in their armor and exploit it, and for the most part he did.

Today, my oh my how times have changed, from top to bottom. From ownership to front office personnel to players, its not about winning as much as it is about money. This is the #1 goal of any player or coach today, all of the interviews, agents going back and forth on money and years and other details, and it seems that the concept of playing the game that so many grew up loving as a kid or teenager has been replaced or re-prioritized.

Losing sucks, not only for the team but for the fans and the local economy as well. Losing frequently deters fans from going to games and buying jerseys or hats, and message boards light up with negativity { justifiably so } of the ineptness of owners, coaches, players and front office personnel.

This team has fallen off of the mountain top and into a deep hole below the valley, and cannot find a rope or life line to get out of it. Many different views of what is wrong about the team all echo the same sentiment; " we want a winner ", " fire X ",  and other suggestions. It has turned fans against each other, and there doesn't appear to be a light at the end of the tunnel.

I was fortunate enough to witness this team during its glory years, and boy was it nice to hold my head high, sporting my new Redskins cap or my Zubas { they were VERY loud BTW } knowing that my team was one of if not THE best team. Times have changed, and for the worst, and fans are giving up hope on this team ever achieving success again, and I don't blame them; I'm having the same feelings. We all know that there needs to be some fundamental changes to this entire organization, and for some, its the only thread of hope they have left with this team.  I guess it is a case of a bear going into hibernation before winter; spring time will come, eventually, but thus far it has been one long ass winter.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The fanbase is as large as ever really...it’s just that a solid percentage of them are so broken that their fandom exclusively entails morning zoo/blogger hot takes and openly pining for essentially every member of the organization to get fired or cut or traded.  It’s pure nihilism.

I mean- what do you base that statement on?  Crowds at fed ex are dwindling.  The crowd for the Dallas game may be the biggest for the year - and half of the crowd were Dallas fans.  

I’ll bet active members on ES are a fraction of what they were 5 years ago

22 hours ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Snyder has stepped back,

Hail.

Has he?  Wasn’t it Synder that insisted Haskins be drafted?  Doesn’t sound like stepping back to me.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

dunno, we start playing like KC and all the fans come back. And let’s not pretend like KC has competent football people running the show.  

Yet they still fleeced us for Alex Smith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Csup said:

I’ll bet active members on ES are a fraction of what they were 5 years ago

That is a safe bet.  

As someone being on here since 2005, and a lurker before that, I remember hundreds if not over a thousand people on at a time.  The Game Day threads were a post a second.  But now, or for the past few years, it's been a morgue.

Edited by RFK Lives
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Even "No Means No" wants out.  

I keep picturing the litany of bad replies to that tweet that could be possible.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Even "No Means No" wants out.  

Even if they don't replace him this is addition by subtraction

2 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

That is a safe bet.  

As someone being on here since 2005, and a lurker before that, I remember hundreds if not over a thousand people on at a time.  The Game Day threads were a post a second.  But now, or for the past few years, it's been a morgue.

Quoted for truth.  

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Smith was 6-3

He didnt win how fans enjoyed watching football so he sucked regardless of winning.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RFK Lives said:

That is a safe bet.  

Social media, plus the team sucking, plus many people have gotten themselves banned over the years, and not enough new people have joined in the dialogue to replace them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Social media, plus the team sucking, plus many people have gotten themselves banned over the years, and not enough new people have joined in the dialogue to replace them.

Don't forget fantasy football.

Rooting for individual players on different teams can dilute a person's focus and passion toward their real team.

4 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Smith was 6-3

The team with Smith was 6-3. They barely won nail-biters against bad teams and got blown out by good teams. Yeah, that season was heading down the tubes regardless. The only difference is we wouldn't have drafted Haskins with a healthy Alex Smith eating all this cap space. He sacrificed his leg so that maybe in a couple years, we could run without him lol. 

• Haha 1

I resent that my dad made me a Skins fan growing up in CT. He wasn't even from DC, just grew up when they were the winning team on TV and liked their colors. I grew up in NE surrounded by Patriots fans, and have had to root for this **** show the entire time while they enjoyed six....SIX Super Bowl victories out of eight appearances and countless other conference championship game appearances. I was too young to know better, and by the time I was old enough to decide which way to go, Gibbs II mania was in full swing and I too was sucked in by afterglow of the glory years that I never actually experienced, like light finally reaching me from a star that died eons ago.

**** Dan Snyder.

• Thanks 1