samy316

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

Recommended Posts

50 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

 

Keep in mind that other "unmovable" teams have moved before, even after having a run of successful seasons: Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders 1981, Brooklyn Dodgers, Washington Senators, Los Angeles Rams 1995, Minneapolis Lakers, New York Giants MLB...don't think it can't happen.

To be sure but at the same time: D.C. is the 6th biggest media market in the U.S. For Snyder to leave, I have to imagine he'd be taking a tremendous risk since the largest market not represented by an NFL franchise is Orlando/Daytona Beach, a full 9 slots below D.C. (according to the Nielson Ratings). And are we sure the State of Florida can support four NFL teams - that would be the most in the country.

 

I could see San Diego, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, or maybe Portland accepting the SnyderSkins (it's still really hard for me to wrap my brain around a London franchise of any kind) but to even think about it and then have the NFL owners potentially lose that market - even if did what the American League owners did in '61 and put in an expansion Senators franchise after Calvin Griffith pissed off to the Twin Cities. I dunno - but I do know it's gonna be really interesting to see how this plays out. The lease expires in 8 years - not much time but a lot can still happen in that span. 

Edited by thebluefood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem isn't losing. After all, look how the Cubs fans stuck with their team or the Browns or any number of other teams. It could be that this area has options, but I don't think that's really it either. I think that the erosion of the fan base is due to the culture. There's a nastiness that permeates this team's narrative. Too often, players and coaches don't leave without someone trying to destroy them or without them trying to burn bridges behind them. Why do we have to be made to hate Shanny or Jay? Couldn't it be they just failed to get it done? Why do we need videos of drunken infidelity? The Redskins seem like they have to make anyone who leaves a villain. I'm overgeneralizing, but it's still an effect that wears on fans. We want to like the team. We want to like the players. There seems to be an element that things it's good if we hate and blame, too.

 

I don't know if that's all Bruce, but I think he's a common thread. As much as we should have hated Deion Sanders for how he played Snyder and ran off with the Redskins' money... that didn't happen. Snyder actually tried pretty hard to keep that road smooth. It was just a marriage that didn't work out. So, it's not Snyder. That narrative is not part of his style. Snyder falls out of love as quickly as he develops a crush, but he doesn't go around bad mouthing his exes... and I think that's a major component of why this team is harder for the younger generation to embrace.

 

We're not fun. We're not overachieving bumblers. We're not lovable. 

 

We could be. Most of our players are good citizens. They should be easy to root for. Of course, winning would solve most of it, but I think you also have to do more than win to have people root for you. You have to get them to buy in. You have to get them to like you.

 

And that's probably the biggest failing of the Bruce Allen decade.

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ananoman said:

At this point, they all sound absolutely wonderful!  The sooner they leave, the better.  I just want a new football team in DC to root for.  One that's not a hot mess.

 

Couldn't agree with you more. If the owners did approve a move, there would have to be a new team here immediately. The market is too big and the demand is too great. I'm a baseball fan first and foremost but D.C.'s a football town and everyone knows it. Only a group as alienating and incompetent as the current management could even bring that into question and yet here we are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

What sounds better: San Antonio Redskins, St. Louis Redskins, Oakland Redskins, or San Diego Redskins?

Raiders move to Vegas

Skins move to Oakland

Oakland and Raiders decide they miss each other, make deal to move Raiders back to California in exchange for Skins moving to the desert

Las Vegas Redskins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone may have posted this already, but we long suffering Skins fans finally have our own brew.

 

Quote

https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/11/05/virginia-brewery-introduces-sell-the-team-ipa-for-redskins-fans/

 

Tomorrow, Harpers Ferry Brewing in Purcellville will release its “Sell the Team” double IPA, which it describes as “Bitter and slightly disappointing like a day at fedex field.”

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Someone may have posted this already, but we long suffering Skins fans finally have our own brew.

 

 

Though it most certainly won't change anything but genuine disgust and dissent has a way of bringing the creativity out in people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, thebluefood said:

To be sure but at the same time: D.C. is the 6th biggest media market in the U.S. For Snyder to leave, I have to imagine he'd be taking a tremendous risk since the largest market not represented by an NFL franchise is Orlando/Daytona Beach, a full 9 slots below D.C. (according to the Nielson Ratings). And are we sure the State of Florida can support four NFL teams - that would be the most in the country.

 

I could see San Diego, San Antonio, Salt Lake City, or maybe Portland accepting the SnyderSkins (it's still really hard for me to wrap my brain around a London franchise of any kind) but to even think about it and then have the NFL owners potentially lose that market - even if did what the American League owners did in '61 and put in an expansion Senators franchise after Calvin Griffith pissed off to the Twin Cities. I dunno - but I do know it's gonna be really interesting to see how this plays out. The lease expires in 8 years - not much time but a lot can still happen in that span. 

London is a bigger market - Imagine it would be the biggest in the NFL given it would probably include the entire British Isles. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That ravens game at FedEx in 2020 is gonna be 90% ravens fans. I think that will be s good measuring stick on which local team had the support. 

 

**** you dan Snyder 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

That ravens game at FedEx in 2020 is gonna be 90% ravens fans. I think that will be s good measuring stick on which local team had the support. 

 

**** you dan Snyder 

Can you imagine how much FedEx is gonna rock if Lamar Jackson pulls some Madden **** off like he did this week against Cincinnati? Paul Brown Stadium was well under capacity and still sounded like a Ravens home game. Imagine that but at a packed house. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 1:02 AM, Boss_Hogg said:

That ravens game at FedEx in 2020 is gonna be 90% ravens fans. I think that will be s good measuring stick on which local team had the support. 

 

**** you dan Snyder 


The Redskins OWNED this market when the Ravens came to town.  In the 24 years since the Ravens arrived they have done just about everything right...while the Snyder era of the Redskins has been an abomination.  People can only take so much.  I know at least two friends at work that have told me they have finally had enough and are Ravens fans now.  They cannot support this team any longer, because they have lost all hope that’s things are ever going to get better.
 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Painkiller said:


The Redskins OWNED this market when the Ravens came to town.  In the 24 years since the Ravens arrived they have done just about everything right...while the Snyder era of the Redskins has been an abomination.  People can only take so much.  I know at least two friends at work that have told me they have finally had enough and are Ravens fans now.  They cannot support this team any longer, because they have lost all hope that’s things are ever going to get better.
 

 

 

Yet people still believe that Dan Snyder's priority is to WIN SUPER BOWLS!

 

He's making money despite his legendary ineptitude and nothing changes other than he's now hiding in the shadows.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Painkiller said:


The Redskins OWNED this market when the Ravens came to town.  In the 24 years since the Ravens arrived they have done just about everything right...while the Snyder era of the Redskins has been an abomination.  People can only take so much.  I know at least two friends at work that have told me they have finally had enough and are Ravens fans now.  They cannot support this team any longer, because they have lost all hope that’s things are ever going to get better.
 

 

 

It used to bother me when Redskins fans defected to the Ravens. But now I don't care...you want to be a Ravens fan? Then go ahead and do it. You deserve better. Dan Snyder has no intentions of making this team competitive. He couldn't care less about the horrid product on the field. 

 

I'm pretty sure the order of followed NFL teams in the DMV are

 

1) Ravens 60%

2) Cowboys 30%

3) Redskins 10%

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 4:12 PM, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

 

Keep in mind that other "unmovable" teams have moved before, even after having a run of successful seasons: Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, Oakland Raiders 1981, Brooklyn Dodgers, Washington Senators, Los Angeles Rams 1995, Minneapolis Lakers, New York Giants MLB...don't think it can't happen.

 

What sounds better: San Antonio Redskins, St. Louis Redskins, Oakland Redskins, or San Diego Redskins?

 

If they were to relocate, I'd be willing to bet that the NFL would make one of the stipulations be the renaming of the team.  The Redskins name would be no more.  Even for an expansion team that would possibly come to DC as a replacement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

 

Yet people still believe that Dan Snyder's priority is to WIN SUPER BOWLS!

 

He's making money despite his legendary ineptitude and nothing changes other than he's now hiding in the shadows.

 

I don't think Dan is a fan of this team. I think he's a fan of owning a pro sports team and jock sniffing, but I doubt he cares about Redskins wins and losses as much we do. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Boss_Hogg said:

 

I don't think Dan is a fan of this team. I think he's a fan of owning a pro sports team and jock sniffing, but I doubt he cares about Redskins wins and losses as much we do. 

 

He reminds me of the dorky kid no one liked, no one played with and got atomic wedgies all the time, except now he has money and can buy friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/11/2019 at 4:01 AM, bakedtater1 said:

That would be cool as **** if the skins moved to salt lake...2 hours away?!?!..hail ya!!

You can have them. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Catatonic said:

 

If they were to relocate, I'd be willing to bet that the NFL would make one of the stipulations be the renaming of the team.  The Redskins name would be no more.  Even for an expansion team that would possibly come to DC as a replacement.  

The NFL isn't expanding.  32 teams with 8 4-teams divisions is the perfect setup.

You will see teams relocating to better markets.

 

Teams that could relocate in the future 

1. Bills- They need a new stadium. While I'm sure the owners will do everything they can to stay in Buffalo; if a better offer came elsewhere, they would pounce on it.

2. Bengals- After Mike Brown dies, you never know.

3. Jaguars-  They are prime target for eventually moving, despite what Khan publicly says.

4. Chargers- They are already failing in Los Angeles and that won't change once they move into the new stadium.

5. Buccaneers-  They seem stable now but it wouldn't shock me to see them relocate one day.

 

If D.C. loses the Redskins that will probably be it, football wise.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Boss_Hogg said:

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure the order of followed NFL teams in the DMV are

 

1) Ravens 60%

2) Cowboys 30%

3) Redskins 10%

Makes sense..when I lived in alaska a coworker(cowboys fan)traveled there..to Washington DC and when he returned I asked him how was it being surrounded by skins fans lol..he said I was actually surprised I seen a **** ton of more people wearing cowboys gear than skins gear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, Burgold said:

So, it's not Snyder. That narrative is not part of his style. Snyder falls out of love as quickly as he develops a crush, but he doesn't go around bad mouthing his exes...

Everything you said was good insight, except this.  Why did we start hearing that Gregg Williams badmouthed Joe Gibbs, so that's why he didn't get the job?  Why did he have to try and embarass Jim Zorn on his way out?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 9:40 PM, Painkiller said:


The Redskins OWNED this market when the Ravens came to town.  In the 24 years since the Ravens arrived they have done just about everything right...while the Snyder era of the Redskins has been an abomination.  People can only take so much.  I know at least two friends at work that have told me they have finally had enough and are Ravens fans now.  They cannot support this team any longer, because they have lost all hope that’s things are ever going to get better.
 

 

It's the exact opposite of the Nationals and Orioles.

 

Orioles were really good 20-some-odd years ago, World Series winners, great history, **** owner.

 

The Nationals moved here, and slowly took over. Good ownership and front office built a consistent winner, consistently competitive now for 8 straight seasons.

 

The Orioles had a couple of good years, but now are one of the worst in MLB, drawing under 10K most nights. Nationals just won the World Series.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's the exact opposite of the Nationals and Orioles.

 

Orioles were really good 20-some-odd years ago, World Series winners, great history, **** owner.

 

The Nationals moved here, and slowly took over. Good ownership and front office built a consistent winner, consistently competitive now for 8 straight seasons.

 

The Orioles had a couple of good years, but now are one of the worst in MLB, drawing under 10K most nights. Nationals just won the World Series.


You get the sense that Snyder and Angelos both just took it for granted the fans would always be there no matter what.  Not the case any longer.  Expecting people to shell out hard earned cash year after year for an inferior product has finally caught up to both.
 

I take no pleasure in pouring it on.  The Orioles and Redskins have both been my teams since I was a kid.  I even felt a tad guilty for enjoying that Nationals World Series win a little too much, but now I’m just like **** it.  At least we got to see a Championship come back to the area even if it wasn’t my Orioles.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
 
 
 
On 11/15/2019 at 4:06 PM, Boss_Hogg said:

 

It used to bother me when Redskins fans defected to the Ravens. But now I don't care...you want to be a Ravens fan? Then go ahead and do it. You deserve better. .....

 

If you can change teams, you were never a 'fan' of the Redskins to begin with. 

 

Goof riddance to anyone of that ilk. 

 

Hail. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.