Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

On 10/21/2019 at 9:08 AM, Dissident2 said:

The clearest sign of the erosion of the fan base we've seen so far can be seen in the banner image at the top of this web page. I mean, that guy ... that apparently drunken buffoon with the backwards baseball cap and the hobo hair ... is the best image the team can come up with to promote "Fantennial Weekend." That's the best we've got now at the stadium. That guy. 

When you are down to 22 fans, the pickins' become slim

Dan Patrick: Do you have a blueprint for what you're trying to do as an owner?

Dan Snyder: No. Blueprints are for Harvard MBAs. I dropped out of college. I don't have a five-year plan. There's a five-year budget for the cap purpose, but I don't have a blueprint for almost any of my businesses.

9781515737384_p0_v1_s250x250.jpg

On 10/21/2019 at 6:57 AM, Mr. Sinister said:

At some point you start to wonder... Media trashing you, teams/coaches trashing you, rival fans trashing you, your own fans trashing you.... Is it all still worth all that bs, just for a stadium deal.

I mean, who does dude think he's gonna con into that? His own fans want him to slit his throat, nevermind the transient nature of the DC metro area, and basically other fans of other teams being forced to foot the bill for him, too.

You'd think he'd realize "Hey maybe I should spend these next 7-8 years building up some good will with the community and running things the right way, and hopefully people will come around later."

Seems like he's just determine to carve us down to the marrow for this, and there will be no one left when he's done. Because I'm done. Not wasting my time watching another minute of this crap this season.

The more I think about, the more concern I have about wanting the fan base to either be apathetic or apologist.  It will be that much easier for him to get government to help with funding the new stadium.

When I was out in Vegas, folks from there acknowledged that government was doing 50% of the costs, but using resort fees to do it.  Here, that money would come out the metro budget, this will affect everyone in the area even if they arent a Redskins fan.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

The more I think about, the more concern I have about wanting the fan base to either be apathetic or apologist.  It will be that much easier for him to get government to help with funding the new stadium.

When I was out in Vegas, folks from there acknowledged that government was doing 50% of the costs, but using resort fees to do it.  Here, that money would come out the metro budget, this will affect everyone in the area even if they arent a Redskins fan.

Lifelong fan, but I would be okay if they moved out of the DMV and ceased being the Redskins. Liberating on so many fronts...  F.Danny. 

5 hours ago, alwaysaskin said:

I’m trying to find a way not to watch Thursday, I admit I don’t care anymore, the Snyderskins have sucked all the joy and passion out of me, now it’s just watch to see how ****ty this team can be 

Your 2018 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals play tomorrow night as well.

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

How lucky are the Skins that they play a Thursday Night game during the World Series but Thursday happens to be the off day?

In recent years the WS has started on a Tuesday, so Thursday has regularly been the travel day. 

For as breathtakingly hot as the Nats have been in the NLCS and (so far) in the WS, in some strange way its going to be almost as interesting to see how inept the Redskins look tonight. 

Honestly, I've been thinking about this topic a lot lately.  I don't think there is anything personnel or front office wise that they can do to bring the fans back to 2005 levels.  They can certainly hire better people, but that won't rally the fans.  All the Gibbs I capitol has finally been spent.   

I think this is part of what needs to happen to turn the ship around and stop this slow death of the fan base... 

Make the stadium deal with D.C.  Build the new stadium on the site of RFK, and when you move there go ahead and rebrand the team.  Publically announce that you will rebrand the team upon moving in.  Their last season as the Washington Redskins would be the last season at Fed Ex Field.  I used to vehemently argue for keeping the name, but that was largely on principal.  On principal...I would still argue for the name, but now I'm thinking changing it could be the marketing strategy that helps turns things around for this franchise.  For me it's no longer a question of principal or right or wrong.  The Redskins have lost an entire generation of fans to suck since 1992.  The way to bring some of the old fans back and the younger fans is to rebrand the team to something new and exciting.  Something beyond reproach that everyone can get behind.  At this point, I'd be willing to go along with it for the sake of having the organization just get back to winning Football games. 

With the rebrand you don't necessarily bring back all the old fans, (some will find this unforgivable and move on) but you do create the next generation of younger fans and so on and so forth which helps ensure the franchise's viability in the future.        

When they released the renderings of Moat Stadium three years ago I thought we were close to announcing a location and that perhaps we'd be in the early stages of construction by now.

But with RFK not being razed until mid 2021, I'm pretty much convinced the team is going to be at FedEx until 2027.

8 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Snyder and the Prince of Darkness believe if they build it people will come.  They will not even think of a marketing strategy to bring back different generations.

3 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

When they released the renderings of Moat Stadium three years ago I thought we were close to announcing a location and that perhaps we'd be in the early stages of construction by now.

But with RFK not being razed until mid 2021, I'm pretty much convinced the team is going to be at FedEx until 2027.

Veteran, I think you are right, but this is also something they need to think about. 

hail2 skins, I agree.  Announce publically that your last season as the Washington Redskins will be 2026 once the Stadium Deal is done, and with the Stadium you get a new brand.  The rebrand would sting a bit, but at least you have the team playing on "hallowed ground."  You make the choice to do it.  Nobody has forced you, and the objective like I said is to bring in a multi-generational fan base with something that is beyond reproach.  The name itself is no longer the question. 

On 10/22/2019 at 2:40 PM, Idaho fan said:

Ticket prices to next two home games.  Jets $14.  Bills $13.

It costs more to buy a beer and a hot dog than to go to the game.

Well done Dan.

LMAO!

I just looked on stubhub and you can get DREAM SEATS for $87 lol.

The last Redskins game (at Fedex) I went to you couldn't get upper deck seats for under $100.  I think that was in 2011 because I haven't been to a game since they drafted RG3.

36 minutes ago, Painkiller said:

The way to bring some of the old fans back and the younger fans is to rebrand the team to something new and exciting.  Something beyond reproach that everyone can get behind.  At this point, I'd be willing to go along with it for the sake of having the organization just get back to winning Football games. 

You'd still have the same owner and same level of ineptitude and disfunction. Same marketing over actual winning.

Calling the turd the Warriors doesn't do anything to change the stench and flavor of the turd.

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

You'd still have the same owner and same level of ineptitude and disfunction. Same marketing over actual winning.

Calling the turd the Warriors doesn't do anything to change the stench and flavor of the turd.

Yeah, it's only part of the equation.  Dan Snyder must hire competent people and then get out of their way, but I think we have reached a level where even winning wouldn't necessarily solve all our problems.  When this team has been in the hunt and winning a few games in recent years the fans still aren't turning out in droves.  The buzz isn't what it was in the past.  We are at a point where even winning won't cure all with this organization, because nobody believes they are for real when they do.  (Because they usually aren't)  People keep pointing to the team being 6-3 when Alex Smith goes down...but they weren't really winning in a convincing manner.  Nobody was buying in, because we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  (Because it always does...and it did)  I can go back 10 years or more and point out times where the team was winning but the fan base at large still had a healthy skepticism and they reacted accordingly.   

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

Probably closer to 2127. I hope Dan is stuck with that ****hole.

20 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

By itself no, but @Painkiller is right, this franchise needs to focus on getting new fans now, not placating the old ones, most are tired of waiting.  Businesses do this all the time after scandals, I dont want to change the name either, but they had another protest against it outside the Vikings stadium.  I'm tried of defending this asshole Snyder against being called a racist, he doesnt deserve anyone coming to his defense for anything anymore, right or wrong.  

This owner isn't going to get any new fans.

Are you ****ing serious?

We're talking about a Dan Snyder owned team.

Businesses do this all the time and then fail again doing the same thing they did the first time and we already know what Dan would do. It's hilarious even to think that he's going to change.

On 10/23/2019 at 6:28 PM, Timmy_Smith said:

Lifelong fan, but I would be okay if they moved out of the DMV and ceased being the Redskins. Liberating on so many fronts...  F.Danny. 

Completely agree. Snyder's never selling because it's nigh on impossible to lose money in the contemporary NFL so I'd be fine with going down the Senators route: move the team and install an expansion team the following year. If Danny wants to take the name and records like Griffith did when he went to Minnesota, fine. Just get out. 

But the fact that we're even having this conversation is incredible to me. For this love affair to break down this thoroughly over the past 20 years would be unthinkable if we weren't witnessing it.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:49 PM, SkinsFTW said:

Which is why I'm fine we ith a rebranding, if Snyder gets bent along with the name.

Archived