Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

On 9/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Can you explain this post?? 

KC has been a good to great franchise for damn near 10-15 years 

Uhhh, what? Only since Andy Reid got there did they become good again. They went to the playoffs like twice in the ten years before he got there. They had a player commit suicide at their stadium. That franchise seemed hopeless. 

I have been a Redskins fan all my life, and I'm 42.  My father worked Sundays for them as a yearbook photographer in 1972, when they lost the Super Bowl against the perfect-season Dolphins.  He was on the roof of RFK when they beat Dallas 26-3 in the championship game.  I wore Sonny Jurgenson's No. 9 jersey as a baby, even though he'd retired.  That's my father's respect (at least it was) for the Redskins tradition and history.

In all my years as a Redskins fan, I have lived in the DC area for exactly 10 months.  Didn't matter.  I've been to many games -- both at RFK and FedEx -- via commuting from Connecticut, sometimes driving there and back in the same day.  When I was 8, Joe Theismann broke his leg and I sent him a get-well letter.  (He sent me a thank-you card.)  I've celebrated three Super Bowls.  I've endured endless hostility from classless Giant fans in the NYC tri-state area.  Before the Internet, every time my Dad went to DC for business, he'd bring me back Redskins swag.  In adulthood, my passion for the Skins has only increased.  Until these last two years.  Because I've realized that as much as we, the fans are now apathetic, so is the team

I moved to Indiana last December and was going to take my boys to the game against the Lions in November.  At this point, I'm strongly considering making alternate plans.

About the only good I've derived from the Snyder era is the team's crappiness has made me a Capitals fan for the last 10 years.  

I've never attended a Redskins game with my kids that they've won.  We've been to four.

I never thought I'd say this, but with my new home state, I'm seriously considering taking them to a Colts game.

26 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Why is it when I think that we've had a good or decent draft the last 2 years, we get worse? None of this makes any sense. 

Lazy, lackadaisical, inattentive coaching staff rubbing off on players. Week after week, it's the same problem with blown assignments, penalties, bad play calls, etc. It starts with the coaches. 

3 hours ago, BleedBNG said:

Why is it when I think that we've had a good or decent draft the last 2 years, we get worse? None of this makes any sense. 

I think a lot of us may have overrated the drafts, at least to date.  People talk about Jonathan Allen as if he is JJ Watt and don't want to admit that so far he really has not given them all that much.  Oh sure someone can trot out a stat from last season that shows how the defense dropped off after he was hurt but let's not fool ourselves, that was gonna happen had he stayed healthy.  

I find it interesting so many folks on this board talk about abandoning the team, not watching ever, etc but here they are on a fan board typing away about the Redskins.  

I do get the feeling though.  I was brought up in a Redskins household in the 60's and 70's and have remained a fan my entire life it is really hard to watch what Snyder and Allen have done to this franchise.  Just pathetic.  But maybe I'm stupid, I watched until the end last night.  I listen to Redskins podcasts during the week while I run or while driving, and I still watch the games each week.  

Someone earlier mentioned Dan wanting to win his way.  I've now come to the thought that Dan just doesn't care any more himself.  Nothing will happen this week because Dan doesn't really care about making it happen, and because Jay doesn't either.  He knows he's out of here regardless.  

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

We can expect seasons like this until Dan Snyder doesn’t own the team any more.  I’d you think this **** show end with Bruce Allen’s departure, you’re naive.

Agreed.  Same thing happened under Spurrier and Zorn (both prior to Bruce).

Unfortunately Snyder is the culprit.  I wish he wasn’t the issue, but he is. 

I would be curious to read the attendance statistics at the past two home games.  There were many empty seats and seemingly more opposing team fans.  I, like most, won't pay to attend another game nor have I bought any merchandise in many years.  Where does most of the revenue for an NFL team come?  How much do ticket and merchandise sales factor in as that is the most we as fans can do to show Dan our contempt.

6 hours ago, skinsfan4221977 said:

I
About the only good I've derived from the Snyder era is the team's crappiness has made me a Capitals fan for the last 10 years.  

Bring them to D.C. for some playoff action. Verizon Center is by far the best atmosphere in the city. I want more people on the bandwagon and apologize on behalf of all the hockey fans who go "why don't you like our sport" and then say "oh hey Johnny come lately". Nah, the more the merrier and don't care when you decide you're in. Also the NHL sucks at marketing more than the Redskins do.

The 2020s have the potential to be a truly dark time for the franchise. Apathy is the worst thing that can happen. Anger is better

26 minutes ago, Mr. S said:

I would be curious to read the attendance statistics at the past two home games.  There were many empty seats and seemingly more opposing team fans.  I, like most, won't pay to attend another game nor have I bought any merchandise in many years.  Where does most of the revenue for an NFL team come?  How much do ticket and merchandise sales factor in as that is the most we as fans can do to show Dan our contempt.

Television deals + revenue sharing = Snyder still gets rich. At this point the question is does he care if the fanbase is destroyed.

That''s interesting.  In the off season I said that this is the year that likely rivals or is worse than the last year of Zorn -- no shows, people bringing signs to Fed-ex, etc.  But I thought that would be as a backdrop to a 7-9 type season.    i am starting to believe it can end up an uglier season than that.  

8 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Television deals + revenue sharing = Snyder still gets rich. At this point the question is does he care if the fanbase is destroyed.

Yes, I 100% believe he cares. He’s only redeeming owner quality is that he actually cares about the franchise winning. 

i'm actually excited..... we may finally have a chance at the #1 overall pick.... current waiver wire has us tied for #1 overall with the Broncos... could be a team-changing pick for what we can get for it. Add in the possibility of another 1st for TW... Fantastic 

We have no, zero, nilch, shot at doing anything this year. Don't be fools.

1 minute ago, SemperFi Skins said:

i'm actually excited..... we may finally have a chance at the #1 overall pick.... current waiver wire has us tied for #1 overall with the Broncos... could be a team-changing pick for what we can get for it. Add in the possibility of another 1st for TW... Fantastic 

We have no, zero, nilch, shot at doing anything this year. Don't be fools.

There is zero chance we don’t screw that up. We’ll end up around 5-8. Rattle off a couple meaningless wins at the very end of the season when other teams are resting starters, and call it a momentum win. Meanwhile the smart teams will lose those. 

7 minutes ago, benskins26 said:

There is zero chance we don’t screw that up. We’ll end up around 5-8. Rattle off a couple meaningless wins at the very end of the season when other teams are resting starters, and call it a momentum win. Meanwhile the smart teams will lose those. 

second hardest remaining schedule.... no way does this team win 5.... I really don't even believe there is a chance

Archived