Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

43 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

The team with Smith was 6-3. They barely won nail-biters against bad teams and got blown out by good teams. Yeah, that season was heading down the tubes regardless. The only difference is we wouldn't have drafted Haskins with a healthy Alex Smith eating all this cap space. He sacrificed his leg so that maybe in a couple years, we could run without him lol. 

At best, maybe Alex would've gotten us to 9-7 or 10-6. A wild card birth and a quick exit.  Reality says 8-8 or 7-9 was more likely.

8 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

At best, maybe Alex would've gotten us to 9-7 or 10-6. A wild card birth and a quick exit.  Reality says 8-8 or 7-9 was more likely.

And in that scenario, we probably draft a few spots back and just take Sweat. I'll take Haskins for a couple 2nds, in that hypothetical. And the fringe benefit (as badly as I feel for him as a person) of never having to watch Alex Smith play football again, most likely. 

On 9/19/2019 at 10:17 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

I resent that my dad made me a Skins fan growing up in CT. He wasn't even from DC, just grew up when they were the winning team on TV and liked their colors. I grew up in NE surrounded by Patriots fans, and have had to root for this **** show the entire time while they enjoyed six....SIX Super Bowl victories out of eight appearances and countless other conference championship game appearances. I was too young to know better, and by the time I was old enough to decide which way to go, Gibbs II mania was in full swing and I too was sucked in by afterglow of the glory years that I never actually experienced, like light finally reaching me from a star that died eons ago.

**** Dan Snyder.

I grew up in Massachusetts, and stayed down here when I got a job in Hartford upon graduating from UConn ('99). The Redskins are still my favorite team, but under those circumstances, it was really difficult to not get swept up in the Tom Brady Patriots. I actually started (re-)following the Patriots again when Kraft saved the team from moving to St. Louis.

The good news is that Bruce Allen, the prince of darkness, will be fired.  I know I'm in the minority when I say that Jay Gruden is not that bad. He'll never win you more than 9-10 games but if he had talent and a defense the Redskins would be mediocre again and that seems to be what Danny wants. Still, I'm looking forward to the blow up and rebuild even though we won't hire the right GM again

On 9/16/2019 at 12:36 PM, Csup said:

My faith eroded quicker than some.  After Gibbs 2.0 left i gave up my

season tickets.  I still watch on tv.  But my feeling have gone from excitement, to anger, to apathy, to now actively rooting against the Skins.

Let me be clear- it’s not necessarily the losing that has done this to me- it’s how the organization is run.  Dan Synder wants to win on his terms despite the fact he is clueless.   Most normal people, after a period of time, would bring in somebody that could help them win.  Not Dan.  To him, the Redskins are a toy to be tinkered with until he gets it right.  Be damn the fans having to put  with his incompetence.

So now I sit back and revel in those box shots of him looking constipated after another beat down by a division rival.

This is pretty much me.  I gave up my tickets at the end of 2014 and it had nothing to do with the losing or else I would have given them up years ago.  For me it had everything to do with Dan Snyder and how he was running the organization.  I find myself watching the Ravens games much more than the Skins games now.  It's really sad what Snyder has done to this team.  I'm quietly hoping he moves the team to another city and moves it to another city.   We will be awarded a new franchise in time.  Until then I'll route for my Nationals and Capitals.

15 minutes ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

The good news is that Bruce Allen, the prince of darkness, will be fired. 

I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe this.  Bruce recently made mention of how we were a year off from stadium news.  Next year, I’m sure we will hear things are slowly progressing and we’ll be hearing something “soon”.  Who knows the validity of the Tony Wylie statements to a random fan last week, but it’s not a stretch to believe.  Bruce is entrenched and has Dan right where he wants him, at the bottom of the Crown bottle, mumbling things about being “close”.  Given Dan’s inexperience with success in professional football, he may not even know any better, and probably believes that Bruce is unlucky like I’m sure he sees himself.  

I find it to be incredibly wishful thinking to believe that Bruce is on his last leg for all those reasons and then some.

I'm 44 years old. I'm a third generation Skins fan. It's on my birth certificate. The first season I remember actively watching culminated in our first Lombardi. I was 7. The same age as my son now. I had no idea how spoiled I would become with the next ten year's success. My son asked me last weekend, "why are we Redskins fans? They never win."

All I could say was "we used to be good."

"When Daddy?"

"When I was a boy."

"That was a long time ago, Daddy."

"Yeah."

He's to young to explain that the only reason I even follow the little bit that I do now, is the great family memories and the fact that I am lucky enough to have my grandparents still living. The Skins are something we enjoy talking about. I moved halfway across the country 15 years ago. I used to go to the local sports bar to catch the Skins on Sunday. I stopped doing that 5 years ago. Haven't bought a piece of merchandise since then either. Stopped listening online unless I have I it on as background noise while I work around the house. If they are on as a national game - I will watch if I happened to be watching tv at the time, but I don't go out of my way and Skins games have no bearings on any plans I make, including cutting the grass or going to the gym. 

Sundays revolved around the Skins for thirty plus of my years on this earth. That changed awhile ago. It's not that I hate the Skins or am mad anymore. I just don't care. Once my grandparents are gone, I don't know if I will even tune the very little I do now. My son certainly isn't making the kind of memories I had when the franchise was proud and well run. Skins fandom may die with me. We will have to see.

Guys like me shouldn't just trouble the Skins, but the whole NFL cause frankly the Skins are the NFL for me. I'm not switching teams, so I just don't watch much football. Interestingly enough, my son has shown less affinity for football and seems to enjoy baseball and MMA more. I wonder how many fans and potential fans the NFL loses when a storied franchise gets run into the ground? 

I am just asking, though. In the end, I care about the NFLs bottom line about as much as I care about the Washington Redskins.

On 9/16/2019 at 12:15 PM, Redd said:

I like watching Sean McVay and his Rams play more than my Redskins.  At least the Rams seem prepared and can win any game they play and he used to be offensive coordinator here. That's what the Redskins have beat me down enough to do.  Freaking Kyle and his 49rs look better than us.  I can't figure the Redskins out.

This. This right here. I always liked McVey. I'm in a fantasy keeper league and have Kupp, Goff, Gurley, and Cory Littleton. Because of this I started watching the Rams. I'm done with the Skins. I don't care for them anymore which is sad since I was a diehard for almost 40 years. I gave up after the 2017 season with the braindead moves. That wasn't the main reason. That was just the final thread to snap for me. 

Get out, people. Root for who you want, but don't feel guilty if you root for someone else. I mean many people are ok changing wives. 

12 minutes ago, Springfield said:

We can expect seasons like this until Dan Snyder doesn’t own the team any more.  I’d you think this **** show end with Bruce Allen’s departure, you’re naive.

The product on the field is horrible but let's go buy a yacht and make plans to build a new stadium.  Fans like that ...  🙄

Caps season opener and (hopefully) Nats wild card game: eight nights out.

The opposing fans taking over is not new.  I recall going to the Vikings game in 2017 and being in shock and awe about being surrounded by them.  I couldn’t wrap my head around that many being there.

But it just keeps progressing, worse and worse.  How embarrassing must it be? Dan should be forced to watch the national broadcast so he can truly absorb just how sad this is.

11 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

aside from the upper bowl appearing completely empty (like an MLS match at an NFL stadium), many of the luxury boxes appeared to have their ceiling lights off....

the stadium looked scary on TV.  empty like the town of Pripyat after Chernobyl.

It’s already 10 o’clock on a work night and it’s only the beginning of the second half. I wouldn’t expect many skins fans to want to stay so they will get home in the early hours when this is the fare.

I turned off the game at 21-0. No emotion. I watch as it's convenient now and don't waste time anymore.

I don't care about turning on the Dallas game late, I don't care about missing most of the game.

Dan Snyder has legitimately turned the Redskins into Blockbuster Video, a relic of a once great giant. They have no young fan replacements once all the people who can't move on from the 80s finally stop watching.

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

I turned off the game at 21-0. No emotion. I watch as it's convenient now and don't waste time anymore.

I don't care about turning on the Dallas game late, I don't care about missing most of the game.

Dan Snyder has legitimately turned the Redskins into Blockbuster Video, a relic of a once great giant. They have no young fan replacements once all the people who can't move on from the 80s finally stop watching.

Once that happens (give it another 15-20 years before their presence is greatly diminished), our fanbase is gonna be a downtrodden wasteland.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:33 AM, TryTheBeal! said:

I am also very much looking forward to college basketball season.  I think my beloved VCU Rams have a chance to win the A-10.  I also know that they’ll never actually win the championship.  But I’m a fan and we recruit good kids and those kids deserve support, not venom.

The players on this Redskins team deserve the same...especially when they’re 0-2 against a pair of elite squads.  Anybody can show support when they’re 8-0 or such.

You can call it being a “homer”.  I’ll call it showing humanity.

I would also like to add that I am a lifelong Wizards fan, so my skin is pretty thick.  Additionally, I am on the record as having predicted both the Stanley Cup run by the Capitals and the NCAA title run by UVA.  Not because I can see the future, but because I had the courage to say it out loud.  Predicting disaster in the hope that one occurs has absolutely no value.  Predicting glory in the hope that it occurs does...even though it’s rare and fleeting and invites scorn.

Meh, there's no moral high horse to be had. This organization sucks and behaves like children. They sue their own fans, they gouge them for as much as they're worth, they act like it's still 1988 and they're the coolest people in the room.

They hire people only to fire them when they get credit for doing their job. They hire alcoholics secretly expecting them to succumb to their vices. Anyone they don't like they destroy in the media with deep background leaks.

Simply losing on the football field isn't the reason we are where we are. They could be lovable losers like the Indians were for decades, or the Browns in some way or myriad franchises. Nope, they're despicable losers.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:43 AM, KingGibbs said:

52 years old and I'm getting ready to sell my Redskins memoribikia and get rid of my Redskins shrine. Of course all of my stuff is from the glory years so at least they have value unlike the **** show from the last 20 years. I no longer get emotional watching this team. That's all you need to know.

Thats my plan as soon as I unpack the stuff, have some cool stuff but we need to be honest this team has no plan, no future, and has terds in high places. Just my luck buy high, sell low I wont be able to get anything for this crap!

damn Norman makes a play...why...why norman

46 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

aside from the upper bowl appearing completely empty (like an MLS match at an NFL stadium), many of the luxury boxes appeared to have their ceiling lights off....

the stadium looked scary on TV.  empty like the town of Pripyat after Chernobyl.

I was shocked that we were the home team on MNF. Our stadium is a disaster. I notice theyve shown less crowd shots than in the past.

Archived