Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Erosion Of The Redskins Fanbase

samy316

On 10/24/2019 at 11:56 AM, Painkiller said:

Yeah, it's only part of the equation.  Dan Snyder must hire competent people and then get out of their way, but I think we have reached a level where even winning wouldn't necessarily solve all our problems.  When this team has been in the hunt and winning a few games in recent years the fans still aren't turning out in droves.  The buzz isn't what it was in the past.  We are at a point where even winning won't cure all with this organization, because nobody believes they are for real when they do.  (Because they usually aren't)  People keep pointing to the team being 6-3 when Alex Smith goes down...but they weren't really winning in a convincing manner.  Nobody was buying in, because we are always waiting for the other shoe to drop.  (Because it always does...and it did)  I can go back 10 years or more and point out times where the team was winning but the fan base at large still had a healthy skepticism and they reacted accordingly.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_seasons

A name change is going to have minimal effect.   As a matter of fact it might turn away even more people.

You kind of argued with yourself in your reply.  You can't state that winning won't solve the attendance problem when there is nothing to base this on in the recent past.  The team has not had any long term success for over 25  years.  Since 1993 they have not had any consecutive playoff seasons, have rarely had consecutive winning seasons, have never been to the NFC title game & have had numerous losing seasons.  That has LOSER written all over it.  How in the heck do you know how attendance would be affected if they actually had long term success?

A team called the Washington Whatevers that constantly loses, makes numerous bonehead moves & is run by Snyder/Allen will likely have the same amt of empty seats even in a new stadium (perhaps not in the initial few years due to the novelty).  Only one thing leads to long term appeal - winning!

6 hours ago, dicksogj said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Washington_Redskins_seasons

A name change is going to have minimal effect.   As a matter of fact it might turn away even more people.

You kind of argued with yourself in your reply.  You can't state that winning won't solve the attendance problem when there is nothing to base this on in the recent past.  The team has not had any long term success for over 25  years.  Since 1993 they have not had any consecutive playoff seasons, have rarely had consecutive winning seasons, have never been to the NFC title game & have had numerous losing seasons.  That has LOSER written all over it.  How in the heck do you know how attendance would be affected if they actually had long term success?

A team called the Washington Whatevers that constantly loses, makes numerous bonehead moves & is run by Snyder/Allen will likely have the same amt of empty seats even in a new stadium (perhaps not in the initial few years due to the novelty).  Only one thing leads to long term appeal - winning!

Put simply, I think the kind of winning it would take to turn things around is largely impossible within the next several years.  Realistically we are probably looking at 2022 or 2023 before this team is even ready to make a serious playoff run again.  With that said, I don’t think 2 or 3 consecutive seasons of double digit wins without a Super Bowl would get it done.  I think the damage to the Redskins brand and the fan base is largely irreversible at this point without massive change to include a rebrand.

1 hour ago, Painkiller said:

Put simply, I think the kind of winning it would take to turn things around is largely impossible within the next several years.  Realistically we are probably looking at 2022 or 2023 before this team is even ready to make a serious playoff run again.  With that said, I don’t think 2 or 3 consecutive seasons of double digit wins without a Super Bowl would get it done.  I think the damage to the Redskins brand and the fan base is largely irreversible at this point without massive change to include a rebrand.

I dunno.  IMO its just most everyone except Snyder and Allen who believes Allen has to go, and IF that were to happen, depending on who ends up being the new GM, I could see this team making a turn next season, provided things fall into place { for the most part }.

Its happened numerous times to other teams, and I'm not taking 1-15 to a Superbowl berth the next season, but going from 1-15 to 9-7, maybe 10-6, would be a huge improvement all around.

I think most fans are just fed up with Bruce and want him gone, and they've tuned out and given up hope for the team, but a good GM who tells Dan how it is and how it will be, in an intelligent but crafty conversation, and a little luck, will bring them back.  Redskin fans are forgiving, look at what we've gone through thus far...

29 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

Redskin fans are forgiving, look at what we've gone through thus far...

Redskins fans were forgiving.  2019 just feels different to me.  Like, the usual tricks won’t work anymore.  Absolutely anything they do is going to be met with healthy skepticism.  15 years ago 90,000 fans were filling Fed Ex.  While attendance is down overall across the NFL I don’t see how we ever get back to something that even resembles that kind of devotion again.  

I really feel like it’s different this time and the organization better see this also. 

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Why?   How many QB busts have we drafted?  

Because now it's normal for our stadium be more then 50% to 70% opposing fans and I'm concerned the fan base as a whole is too apathetic to even protest anymore, a level of acceptance only grief can cause

10 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Why?   How many QB busts have we drafted?  

Too many,  and when they finally managed to draft a good one they didn't recognize it and alienated him so bad they couldn't keep him.  If they ever come up with an award for the most inept FO it ought to be called the Snyder Trophy and have a guy bowling on the top of it.

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm concerned the fan base as a whole is too apathetic to even protest anymore, a level of acceptance only grief can cause

This is the heart of what I’m talking about.  Nobody is even all that upset that they are sucking.  I just sense apathy and indifference everywhere.  The fan base is spent.  

I am at the point where I am rooting for whatever team is playing the skins to blow them out. If you told me 20 years ago I would be actively rooting against the skins I would have laughed, but here I am rooting harder against them than I did for them. Sad just sad. 

8 minutes ago, Itoolu said:

I am at the point where I am rooting for whatever team is playing the skins to blow them out. If you told me 20 years ago I would be actively rooting against the skins I would have laughed, but here I am rooting harder against them than I did for them. Sad just sad. 

I am too, as well as several of my friends.  We just want Snyder to be humiliated enough to sell the team,  because that's the only way we are ever going to turn this thing around.

If Snyder doesn't care that he has ruined this franchise and if the NFL doesn't care either then why should I?  I follow the team now more for comedy purposes.  And yes go ahead and change the name that way I can check out once and for all.

23 hours ago, kwitt said:

If Snyder doesn't care that he has ruined this franchise and if the NFL doesn't care either then why should I?  I follow the team now more for comedy purposes.  And yes go ahead and change the name that way I can check out once and for all.

In some ways, I wish for this too. The Skins are the NFL for me. I'm 44. Snyder only has a few years on me. He's not selling and even if I out live him God-willing, I will probably be to old to even realize what is going on - in other words, I will never see this franchise competent, much less successful again.

The Redskins are the NFL to me. No Skins, no pro football. I'm currently monetarily boycotting now, for all the good that does, I would honestly welcome the final push over the edge so I can completely walk away and never look back.

Its so sad that this fan base is so defeated.  Instead of us laying down and dying, is there a way we could maybe plan a protest?  If 40k Redskin fans stand outside Dannys office/home and protest we want Bruce out and  no more cronyism and BS, maybe we could get a real change?

Archived