Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Cowboys

KDawg

Yikes.

The Good:

Tress Way - Bailed the team out more than once.

Terry McLaurin - Kid is a stud. So far they aren't really using him for much besides digs and fades, but I have a feeling as his route repertoire grows, so will he. He is probably our best offensive player at the moment and he is an absolute breath of fresh air thus far this season.

Flowers/Penn - We were all worried about the left side of our line. And while they aren't exactly writing the next chapter in the book, "Hogs: Ass Kicking 101," they are more than holding their own. Penn has made the loss of Williams negligible (trade him...) and Flowers has looked pretty damn good at left guard. 

Daron Payne - Dude might be my favorite Skin at this point. He is a problem for opposing offenses. A lot of people are higher on Allen (who has tremendous upside, to be clear), but with Allen's injury concerns Payne has been the guy that's been holding down the fort in his absence. I am a very, very big fan of what Payne brings to this team. He's aggressive, he's nasty and he doesn't care about stats. He does his job and does it well. 

Landon Collins - I'm not sure he belongs in good... I am putting the entire rest of the secondary in the bad, though, so I just wanted to separate him a little :ols:

The meh:

Seemed like they were either good or bad today. Wouldn't say there was a ton of meh.

The Bad:

Scherff/Moses - Yikes. What a dumpster fire. These two have combined to look almost as bad as our replacement lines the last few years. Scherff... I could buy the argument that playing next to Moses is hurting him, but both guys just seem to be regressing. Scherff is playing with a high pad level on the plays that I've watched (I'd need to watch the All-22 to get a better idea) and not using leverage. He might be having a case of trying to dotoomuchitis, but the combo of these two has been putrid through two weeks. Penalties, missed assignments. These guys are holding back a mediocre offense. But there's a guy I think who may be more to blame than them:

Bill Callahan - Genius as it comes to teaching techniques. The guy is a wizard. But when it comes to implementing schemes for the run game he has, so far, been not so great. He likes complex schemes and with our injury concerns and continuity on the front I feel that is a very, very bad move. I can't get on him too much considering I don't know what happens in the meeting room, but I do know that his lines have been highly penalized and abused the last few years and its time people start looking towards Callahan a little bit. 

The entire secondary - Holy crap guys. Did you have a meeting the last two weeks to decide not to cover the other team's fast receivers deep? On the trips look with the out/corner/post combo that Norman is getting blamed for it looked like Nicholson was in a 1 high robber look. It looked to me that he was reading Prescott's eyes and broke on the corner route, but Dak was looking at the fade/post route. Norman was in a trail technique, so Prescott just had to throw the ball over the top and the Skins couldn't make a play on it. I'm not sure where the fault was on this... That's a coaching/film thing. But what I do know is there was a serious issue with the coverage here. And beyond that, we keep letting opposing receivers get open over the top, and it typically happens when Nicholson is playing the high safety role. Teams have keyed on something there. Fix it. Please.

Manusky - soft shells. Very few blitzes/stunts/pressure packages. Poor communication around the defense. 

Star of the Game - Daron Payne ***

Second Star - Terry McLaurin **

Third Star - Tress Way *

Dud of the Game - Greg Manusky :(:(:(

Second Dud - Right Side of the Line & Callahan - :(:(:(

Third Dud - Secondary (minus Collins) :(:(:(

Yes, all three dud contenders got 3 sad faces this week.

Season Totals:

Terry McLaurin - 5x*

Daron Payne - 3x*

Inside LBs - 2x*

Vernon Davis, Keenum, Way - 1x*

Bruce Allen - :(

Jay Gruden - 3x :(

Right Side of OL/Callahan - 3x :(

Secondary (Minus Collins) - 3x :(

Greg Manusky - 5x :(

Really can't disagree with anything, well, maybe for the Manusky emogi; it should be the one puking.

McLaurin kinds strikes me as a young Art Monk; quiet, gets the job done, dependable and good hands. I just hope he isn't hung out to dry on a brilliant Gruden play call and get hurt.

Bad: o-line running game. This team has had some storied RBs who were behind either superb or at least above average o-lines. It hurts to watch the running game, and now Gruden is calling these quick jet sweeps, but nothing is working good. This line has enough talent to be much better than the production we've been watching.

Stinch, 27 year old Taco Bell burrito buried in a pile of cow poop: Manusky. I didn't like it when he was hired, he wasn't anything, never did anything on a team, and now he's collecting a damn nice paycheck and being a statue on the sidelines. Why, I dunno, but the players come out playing good the first qtr, then things start going south, and offenses recognize whats going on and audible into a play that gets them good yardage. Shoulder tackling { actually TRYING to shoulder tackle } had me screaming at the tv. Overall technique and not protecting for the deep ball that everyone knows was coming is killing this team. Big play after big play, and motormouth Norman is always trailing.

Agree with your choices in studs and duds.

I would like to hang a dud on Sweat as his speed just doesn't show up. I had some high expectations for him. Instead he is Preston Smith

I am happy you have included Callahan on the list.

Is it me or has Moses regressed every year?

12 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Agree with your choices in studs and duds.

I would like to hang a dud on Sweat as his speed just doesn't show up. I had some high expectations for him. Instead he is Preston Smith

I am happy you have included Callahan on the list.

Is it me or has Moses regressed every year?

I think it's a bit early to hang a dud on Sweat... but he's not trending in the right direction. Part of me wonders if the scheme is a significant factor. Teams don't have to wonder where pressure is coming from, so they are able to block the pass rushers fairly easily. 

I was very close to putting Kerrigan on the bad list. The guy is 7 yards up field on run plays and opening gaping holes for opposing teams to run through. His sack doesn't make up for that. 

I just couldn't do it this week. He has earned the benefit of the doubt. Moving forward, though, he has to be better.

We still had a shot with about 11 minutes in the game while facing a 4th & 3 from midfield. But with the play clock running down, we had to use a TO & that enabled Dallas to get in the D they wanted, resulting in an incomplete pass to Thompson. From there, Dallas then scores a TD to ice the game. You can't have that happen in that situation and once again it just shows the incompetency of our HC and how overwhelmed he is. I've said before that I think Gruden is a good QB guy and a good play caller, but he is simply out of his league as a HC. He can't make in game changes and he is awful coming out of any type of break. His record in season openers is bad, his record coming out of bye weeks is bad and he's terrible coming out of halftime. Heck, I'll even go as far to say that the guy is horrible coming out of TO's!

Manusky's defense was once again horrific and this guy is getting worse as a DC. I've been saying for 2 years that he has been fired from every DC job he's had for a reason and that trend will hold true in due time. This D has been pathetic in our first two games. There's 0 pressure on the QB, we get run on right up the gut, there's way too much cushion given to receivers and communication in the secondary is non-existent, which leads to getting torched over the top. After going up 17-0 last week, we got outscored 32-3 & after taking a 7-0 lead yesterday, we were outscored 31-7. I will not count the garbage time TD last week and the one this week. Is all they did was make both scores look more respectable and unless you bet the Skins last week and played the over this week, those late TD's meant nothing! 

2 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

We still had a shot with about 11 minutes in the game while facing a 4th & 3 from midfield. But with the play clock running down, we had to use a TO & that enabled Dallas to get in the D they wanted, resulting in an incomplete pass to Thompson. From there, Dallas then scores a TD to ice the game. You can't have that happen in that situation and once again it just shows the incompetency of our HC and how overwhelmed he is. I've said before that I think Gruden is a good QB guy and a good play caller, but he is simply out of his league as a HC. He can't make in game changes and he is awful coming out of any type of break. His record in season openers is bad, his record coming out of bye weeks is bad and he's terrible coming out of halftime. Heck, I'll even go as far to say that the guy is horrible coming out of TO's!

Oh good addition. Meant to address Gruden's issues with getting plays in over his tenure here. He's slow.

I actually think he's a poor play caller but an EXCELLENT schematic guy.

52 minutes ago, fearlessNelms said:

I've said before that I think Gruden is a good QB guy and a good play caller, but he is simply out of his league as a HC. 

Manusky's defense was once again horrific and this guy is getting worse as a DC. 

Totally agree with you on Manusky. In the last two weeks I've gone from thinking that he was just a below average DC, to thinking that he really stinks. He should be fired already.

On Gruden, I think a little differently than you. I do agree that his game/clock management is not good, but I believe that this is because he's trying to do too much and I don't think that he's a good play caller. He should let Kevin O'Connell call the plays and that would allow him to be a much better Head Coach IMO.

I've obviously got no idea if O'Connell is a good play caller or not, but he seems the logical alternative.

Something to consider, the left side of the OL, where we were just hoping for the best, has performed at least as good as the right side with Scherff and Moses.  And they're more effective running behind Flowers and Penn through 2 games.  Yesterday at least, they were something like 9 carries for 40 yards left, and 7 for 8 to the middle or right.  I just eyeballed it, but it's something like that.  Even against Philly, the 2-3 times they did run left, they did ok.  So they must've seen that and adjusted accordingly.

Rouiller, Scherff, and Moses have underwhelmed and Penn and Fliwers have exceeded expectations.  This showed up yesterday.  Watching Moses feet, it's never good when you see your tackle's feet move from shuffle step to turn and run.

I haven't felt this demoralized this early in a season in a while. I dont understand how they could add more talent and look worse the last year. This is coaching, arrogance of our coaches more like. 

Theres a part of me that jus wants them to get this over with so we can get someone else in here to make most of what they have instead of prove their system works.  Because it doesn't it f'n doesnt work, you cant have that many pass rushers and not blitz what's the point?

It's hard to ignore the injury factor it's never a good excuse but let's see what happens with the Bears.  I saw Moreland out of position a lot but he's young and will eventually get it.

Yes, Case Keenum misses a few things but he tracking to a good year.

5 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Except Dunbar has been hurt every year. Allen has been injured fairly regularly. 

I sense a theme.

I do agree, though, that I'd like to see what we can do against a mediocre to poor offense... but a good defense can hang with good offenses. And we haven't done that.

4 minutes ago, max21 said:

Terry mclaurin is sweet, Josh Norman is not. I haven’t seen Landon Collins do much to impress me so far with the contract he got, he’s no where near any of these big play passes 

I mean, it might be a good thing he's no where near those big play passes... he's playing SS, so he's not usually the deep defender. But in the cases he has been they haven't tested him. Can't be sure without scheme knowledge and film, though, so...

I agree with all the analysis here but I want to add something which will probably fall into the "Meh" category but I still think it's worth saying...

We are who we thought we were. Did anyone really expect to beat the two teams that will surely be at the top of the division and probably near the top of the conference by late season? We are exactly where we expected to land after the first 2 games. 0-2.

The main reason there is no reason to panic is that we're simply not very good. We're the Washington Redskins. I'll be watching individual players this season and won't be obsessing about the entire organization. We won't win very many games, friends. It's time to track the progress of our WRs and newer defensive acquisitions. The young. The future.

If we get worked up about wins and losses, we're going to be here every week getting more and more angry. I refuse to do that for a team that's not going to the playoffs and won't have the same coaching staff next year.

3 minutes ago, Chachie said:

I agree with all the analysis here but I want to add something which will probably fall into the "Meh" category but I still think it's worth saying...

We are who we thought we were. Did anyone really expect to beat the two teams that will surely be at the top of the division and probably near the top of the conference by late season? We are exactly where we expected to land after the first 2 games. 0-2.

The main reason there is no reason to panic is that we're simply not very good. We're the Washington Redskins. I'll be watching individual players this season and won't be obsessing about the entire organization. We won't win very many games, friends. It's time to track the progress of our WRs and newer defensive acquisitions. The young. The future.

If we get worked up about wins and losses, we're going to be here every week getting more and more angry. I refuse to do that for a team that's not going to the playoffs and won't have the same coaching staff next year.

To me it's not about the losses. It's about the how... In my opinion, we are scheming very poorly defensively, not taking advantage of all that we can offensively, and committing entirely too many penalties. Losing is one thing. Losing with so much slop is another altogether.

18 minutes ago, KDawg said:

To me it's not about the losses. It's about the how... In my opinion, we are scheming very poorly defensively, not taking advantage of all that we can offensively, and committing entirely too many penalties. Losing is one thing. Losing with so much slop is another altogether.

Yeah those penalties are tough to swallow, man. Every single drive, it seems.

21 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Bingo.  I can deal with a loss just fine.  What I cant deal with is poor effort and poor planning equating to blown assignments and overall blah looking football.

There is no identity and no pride on this version of the redskins.  Well, I take that back... The identity is blown leads and half-measures.

2 straight weeks, zero pass rush.  For those that said the Eagles have a great O-line, the Falcons pass rush sure as hell made things look different.   

I want to know what Manusky has seen in practice and/or on film that keep him going with these weak pass rushing attempts. 

Your defense will not succeed on a consistent basis if you give opposing QB's all day to throw.  NFL-level QB's are not going to make mistakes unassisted enough times to change a game.  A defense has to force a QB into mistakes. 

5 minutes ago, jbird said:

No love for Keenum?

Raise your hand if you anticipated a 70% completion rate for 604 yards, 5 td, and 0 INT's over the first 2 weeks.

No "love" but certainly no hate from me. Made some really questionable decisions with the football yesterday, but then fit the ball into some tough spots, too. Wasn't deserving of high praise, but certainly wasn't a dud. 

Hello all, long time reader of this forum.  Long time Redskins fan and will always be no matter how mad they make me.  With that said, my Duds are the coaching staff.  How can Jay Gruden not adjust his scheme to fit Adrian Peterson?  This man is still a well above average running back.  All other offensive lines get push running power type runs, but we try to finesse all of our runs.  

Defensively, Manusky should be gone yesterday.  Totally inept.

Archived