Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This might be the worst Redskins running team I've ever seen

Playaction2Sanders

There is a reason Indi decided to trade their 1st in 2019 for our 2nd & our 2020 2nd, they anticipate our 2020 pick to be at the top of the round.... other teams made the same offer; two 2nds...

That is to say, the rest of the league agrees with you.

13 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden abandons the run. Still thinks he's in the arena league, I guess. Or maybe he just shouldn't be a HC. Doesn't make any difference if we've brought in an allegedly bring OC. Gruden still calls the plays. He's easy to figure out after one quarter.

This is a false narrative.  

Jay runs too much in the wrong situations. 

He doesn't abandon the run.  He just runs wrong.  Then they get behind and have to pass.

The best thing for this team would be a 65% pass plays.  Run only occasionally and to keep the defense honest.  

This should be a pass first team because that’s where the offensive talent is.  

I get what you're saying, and completely understand that. It's just like what the commentators were saying during the game --- balance isn't about 50/50, it's about running or passing when you want to, and being able to do it successfully. Gruden doesn't do that. It's basically what I was trying to say; didn't come out right in that earlier post. You're exactly right.

5 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden abandons the run. Still thinks he's in the arena league, I guess. Or maybe he just shouldn't be a HC. Doesn't make any difference if we've brought in an allegedly bring OC. Gruden still calls the plays. He's easy to figure out after one quarter.

Have you really tried to focus in on the blocking (or lack thereof) of the O-line and the tight ends?  This team hasn't been a good running team ever since they brought in Callahan.  They hold too much, get bull rushed, and when they finally do make their blocks a TE lets someone cross face and come in untouched.  They're not a good running team!  Sean McVay used to get criticized for passing too much when he was here.  He got away from Callahan and whatdayaknow!?  He sticks to the run.  

Callahan left dallass because he didn't get enough input in the running game. Cooley and CP just talked about this on their podcast this past week.  That Callahan thinks he's a creative genius.  They believe he is asking too much of his o-line.  He has so many exotic pulls and traps that it actually hurts his O-line.  They play slow because they have to think.  You have a beefy O-line (except for Roullier).  Stop asking these big guys to pull and trap!  Either go back to the zone scheme or go to a simplified gap scheme.  Because what they're doing just never works.  Why do you think defensive lines stunt so much vs the Redskins?  It's because they're trying to mess up Callahan's complex scheme. 

I've never seen a Redskin's team give up so many tackles for loss as they have under Callahan (And I've been watching since the late 60's).  He's good at the fundamentals but he is terrible at putting his line in a position to succeed.  More often than not he gets the Redskins in a hole.  

For the love of God SIMPLIFY!

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Have you really tried to focus in on the blocking (or lack thereof) of the O-line and the tight ends?  This team hasn't been a good running team ever since they brought in Callahan.  They hold too much, get bull rushed, and when they finally do make their blocks a TE lets someone cross face and come in untouched.  They're not a good running team!  Sean McVay used to get criticized for passing too much when he was here.  He got away from Callahan and whatdayaknow!?  He sticks to the run.  

Callahan left dallass because he didn't get enough input in the running game. Cooley and CP just talked about this on their podcast this past week.  That Callahan thinks he's a creative genius.  They believe he is asking too much of his o-line.  He has so many exotic pulls and traps that it actually hurts his O-line.  They play slow because they have to think.  You have a beefy O-line (except for Roullier).  Stop asking these big guys to pull and trap!  Either go back to the zone scheme or go to a simplified gap scheme.  Because what they're doing just never works.  Why do you think defensive lines stunt so much vs the Redskins?  It's because they're trying to mess up Callahan's complex scheme. 

I've never seen a Redskin's team give up so many tackles for loss as they have under Callahan (And I've been watching since the late 60's).  He's good at the fundamentals but he is terrible at putting his line in a position to succeed.  More often than not he gets the Redskins in a hole.  

A gap scheme includes a lot of pulling for power and Redskin (Counter Tre). I have no problem with pulling and trapping. But I don't like how we try to do a little of everything. I see zone blocking principles on some plays, man on others, gap on others. It's okay to have some variation, but you need to have something to hang your hat on.

I don't think our offensive line is all that talented. Scherff is coming down to Earth now. Moses crash landed. The left side, who most were more worried about, is our better side. And Roullier is... not bad. 

But no matter the scheme at hand, they are getting mauled. And you could be on to one of the reasons: They have to overthink every situation and alignment and the communication is lacking.

They are effectively confusing themselves. 

I'm of the opinion that if Jay Gruden goes, the entire coaching staff goes. Whoever is the new HC can determine if there is anyone on staff that stays, but each coach should assume they are out of work and allowed to pursue new jobs while that coach is chosen. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

A gap scheme includes a lot of pulling for power and Redskin (Counter Tre). I have no problem with pulling and trapping. But I don't like how we try to do a little of everything. I see zone blocking principles on some plays, man on others, gap on others. It's okay to have some variation, but you need to have something to hang your hat on.

I personally like the Gap scheme because even though you are pulling you're generally pulling to the opposite A gap.  Which isn't hard even for a big guy.  But you don't have to pull on every play in the Gap scheme.  What I like about it is that you're not blocking a man.  You're blocking color in the gap.  (See bad guy block bad guy) I think Callahan, in the myriad of schemes that you mentioned, has his guys hunting a particular player.  And when you do that you set yourself up for failure when the defense does the unexpected.  And since the enemy gets a vote as we say in warfare you can always count on the enemy to do the unexpected.  

We haven't been a good running team for years and the sad part is the right side of the line is supposed to be our strength but they have been a weakness so far. 

We need a complete reset on philosophy and with Trent and Scherff gome after this year might as well get rid of Moses and do a complete overhaul.

Moses is not good, he's been declining for 2 years now.

1 hour ago, ThomasRoane said:

For as many plays Callahan has designed, it’s Gruden calling them during the game. He could just as easily call some straightforward runs if he feels this is an issue.

37 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Trent Williams is at home playing xbox and smoking blunts..... Just sayin...

I was there, it wouldn't make enough of a difference to be noticable.  Even when we get a play right, we risk a holding call screwing it up because of someone getting beat.

44 minutes ago, JoeJacobyHOForRIOT said:

Trent Williams is at home playing xbox and smoking blunts..... Just sayin...

Might be the smartest guy on the roster.

*Also, he's still being drug tested. So you don't need to worry about the blunts anymore than usual with him. 

That's interesting stuff about Callahan that I wasn't aware of. I wonder if it's true. Would be interesting if one of the guys most fans trust implicitly to be one of the competent ones was actually contributing to the cluster**** on offense. 

10 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

For as many plays Callahan has designed, it’s Gruden calling them during the game. He could just as easily call some straightforward runs if he feels this is an issue.

Yeah, and what do you think Callahan would do?  Sure, Gruden should just take over but he'd have to deal with the aftermath.  They have a long friendship and it's not so easy to demote your best friend.  Which is essentially what he would be doing.  Personally, I'd give Callahan a chance to simplify on his own; make it seem like it was his idea.  If he refuses then I'd do it for him and live with the consequences.  The situation can't get much worse!

1 minute ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

That's interesting stuff about Callahan that I wasn't aware of. I wonder if it's true. Would be interesting if one of the guys most fans trust implicitly to be one of the competent ones was actually contributing to the cluster**** on offense. 

Well, I trust Cooley on it.  He has access to all Redskins game film; coaches copy.  He's been complaining about Callahan's scheme for years.  

Archived