Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Manusky Why Isn't He Fired Yet?

desertbeagle85

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

Right!...think a player is gonna come out and say.."oh we got issues"..nope..

There is a huge gap between "oh we got issues" and "all time" "best defense I've ever been in".  I don't expect any players to say they suck or their unit is trash by any stretch.  But to go to the lengths of saying it could be all time great, they must be seeing something that leads them to believe they can be 'that' good.  I could even understand making a statement like that in the offseason when it's only on paper, but these guys are saying this stuff after they've practiced and competed in preseason.

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

There is a huge gap between "oh we got issues" and "all time" "best defense I've ever been in".  I don't expect any players to say they suck or their unit is trash by any stretch.  But to go to the lengths of saying it could be all time great, they must be seeing something that leads them to believe they can be 'that' good.  I could even understand making a statement like that in the offseason when it's only on paper, but these guys are saying this stuff after they've practiced and competed in preseason.

Redskin koolaid. Snyder spikes the punch.

Wouldnt we all agree the defense is hindering this team?...correct me if I'm wrong but outside of needing a little improvement in the run blocking game I think our offense looks..decent?..I mean decent enough to where if the DEFENSE WOULD DO THERE JOB!!!..they could win some games...yes the d has looked horrendous enough to call this season a wash, a "play for better draft position" talk already lol 😭😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😭😭😭😭....but I personally have not given up on the season..both philly and dallas have great offenses..we can ALL agree on that..but its 100 obvious manusky needs to go!!

5 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wouldnt we all agree the defense is hindering this team?...correct me if I'm wrong but outside of needing a little improvement in the run blocking game I think our offense looks..decent?..I mean decent enough to where if the DEFENSE WOULD DO THERE JOB!!!..they could win some games...yes the d has looked horrendous enough to call this season a wash, a "play for better draft position" talk already lol 😭😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😂😭😭😭😭😭....but I personally have not given up on the season..both philly and dallas have great offenses..we can ALL agree on that..but its 100 obvious manusky needs to go!!

Eh. They have a symbiotic relationship.

The offense can't run the ball, which, even if they are moving the ball, means loss time of possession. Opposing offenses can wear out the D easier. Add to that the schematic advantage that pretty much any OC in the league has against our DC and the offense needs to do more to control the clock as well. Penalties are a big part of the offense's issues.

The DL is young, hungry, and talented. They need to be brought along by an accomplished DL coach. Developing under the tutelage of Tomsula is a godsend for those guys. Fire Manusky - which I would love to see done - and the question is whether Tomsula stays. Those guys are very tight. And I wonder what the contract parameters are for all these assistants. It's a bit nebulous in terms of whose around for how much longer. But yeah, Manusky needs to go.....like 2 years ago.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

The offense can't run the ball, which, even if they are moving the ball, means loss time of possession. Opposing offenses can wear out the D easier. Add to that the schematic advantage that pretty much any OC in the league has against our DC and the offense needs to do more to control the clock as well. Penalties are a big part of the offense's issues.

You can still eat time with passes. Walk to the line, dink and dunk. The passing game and the hurry up are not synonyms

1 minute ago, carex said:

You can still eat time with passes. Walk to the line, dink and dunk. The passing game and the hurry up are not synonyms

Didn't say it was.

The problem is that they aren't doing that. Holding penalties are a problem. Blocking on the right side of the OL is an issue. 

Incompletions also stop the clock, which doesn't allow the clock to keep churning. I'm a "run the ball" guy. Always will be. But in the modern NFL you have to have some form of what you're saying as well. You need to be able to do both. Right now, we can't run. Which makes the passing game easier to hone in on. Which makes it harder to dink and dunk and means we have to have more chunk plays.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

i get what you are saying to a point. And there is certainly some of that. However, starting in the first half they are worn down? And how does that relate to guys just not being in position or a complete lack of a viable pass rush beyond the first series or two? 

There is just no creativity being shown on D and it appears the players have no clue where they are suppose to be. It's nice Montae got an Int, but other than that he is a huge liability. That long TD Norman looked beat on. he was supposed to have help in the center of the field. Montae just has no feel for the game at all. 

5 drives 31 pts. Could the Off play better and help more? Of course. It is a team sport. But the D is woefully under performing, at least to expectations.  We all knew coming in that the offense would struggle. TW being out obviously makes that worse. But the D, especially the dline was supposed to be a strength. And losing one guy should not change that. They are playing a very conservative style of D. That would be Ok if at least they were not giving up big plays. But they are giving up big plays and allowing long drives. 

No doubt the lack of running game hurts them. Totally agree. But for me, the #1 disaster and course of the last two losses fall directly on Manusky's D. 

Here is a thought - 

Fire Jay - Make Callahan interim HC

Promote O'Connell to OC

Fire Manusky - Promote Tomsula to DC. 

Fire Bruce at the end of the season - or at least take him out football operations and let him focus 100% on the stadium. Perform a proper search for a GM between now and the end of the season and hire them at the same time you fire Bruce. Let them hire a new HC. Don't straddle them with any coaches. Start with a clean slate and stay out of their way. 

Keep Haskins on the bench to learn the NFL game. Let his first NFL action be with his new HCs offense. 

@goskins10

You kinda have to follow my entire thought flow to get what I'm saying and it's tough to type it out in every post, so I get where you're coming from.

To answer you: No. The defense isn't worn out to start. It's schemed poorly to start. But as the game wears on and they get worn down, it's schemed poorly and the bad scheme is poorly executed.

37 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

i get what you are saying to a point. And there is certainly some of that. However, starting in the first half they are worn down? And how does that relate to guys just not being in position or a complete lack of a viable pass rush beyond the first series or two? 

There is just no creativity being shown on D and it appears the players have no clue where they are suppose to be. It's nice Montae got an Int, but other than that he is a huge liability. That long TD Norman looked beat on. he was supposed to have help in the center of the field. Montae just has no feel for the game at all. 

5 drives 31 pts. Could the Off play better and help more? Of course. It is a team sport. But the D is woefully under performing, at least to expectations.  We all knew coming in that the offense would struggle. TW being out obviously makes that worse. But the D, especially the dline was supposed to be a strength. And losing one guy should not change that. 

Here is a thought - 

Promote O'Connell to OC

Fire Manusky - Promote Tomsula to DC. 

TheSkins are down three, Allen, Dunbar and Moreau

O'Connell is OC

39 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Missed this the first read through.

Please... no.

If I remember correct, the running scheme is Callahan's. While I think Callahan is an excellent technique guy (one of the best in the league) I don't like how nuanced his schemes appear to be. The Skins don't have an identity up front, and as a result it means being mediocre at many things and good at none. This leads to confusion on blitz and pressure packages with stunts and leaves the team susceptible to being blown up by opposing defenses.

The linemen, under his watch, have seemingly regressed as well. 

If he were strictly the OL coach and didn't have a ton of schematic input I'd be ecstatic to have him. But he's not. 

1 minute ago, carex said:

TheSkins are down three, Allen, Dunbar and Moreau

O'Connell is OC

I don't get about injuries. I am tired of the excuse. They keep relying on injured players so guess what they have injured players. Done with that excuse. Also, 3 players injured has no part of guys running around like they have no idea where they belong. Maybe they are not as athletic and just get beat. OK, i get that but that has nothing to do with guys not knowing the D or the D scheme to begin with. 

You know what I meant about O'Connell. But since you want to play that game i will be more specific - Yes, technically he is the OC but it's in name only and literally everyone knows it. Jay is still calling play and drawing up game plans. Again, you know what I meant. 

This coaching staff is done. I have had Jays back and still honestly believe he could be a good coach. Just not here. it's time to move on. But I honestly would be Ok just getting rid of Manusky. But doing nothing tells players you are Ok with what is going on. And what is going on is the team is getting out-coached and outplayed badly so far. 

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Missed this the first read through.

Please... no.

If I remember correct, the running scheme is Callahan's. While I think Callahan is an excellent technique guy (one of the best in the league) I don't like how nuanced his schemes appear to be. The Skins don't have an identity up front, and as a result it means being mediocre at many things and good at none. This leads to confusion on blitz and pressure packages with stunts and leaves the team susceptible to being blown up by opposing defenses.

The linemen, under his watch, have seemingly regressed as well. 

If he were strictly the OL coach and didn't have a ton of schematic input I'd be ecstatic to have him. But he's not. 

I only recommend Callahan as a place holder. This season is done. If you notice I said interim. 

And BTW: I agree 100% with everything you said about him and the Oline/running game. He has not done the job people expected him to do. He is following an all too familiar pattern here under Dan - coaches and players reaching the bottom of their capabilities instead of the best they can do. Most everyone under performing. 

The offense has been lackluster, but they are still managing to score points and put together drives.  The running game sucks, but as a whole the offense at least looks functional.

The defense was supposed to be the strength of this team, especially the front 7, yet so far they they can't stop the run, nor can they generate any pass rush.  

18 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I don't get about injuries. I am tired of the excuse. They keep relying on injured players so guess what they have injured players. Done with that excuse. Also, 3 players injured has no part of guys running around like they have no idea where they belong. Maybe they are not as athletic and just get beat. OK, i get that but that has nothing to do with guys not knowing the D or the D scheme to begin with. 

You know what I meant about O'Connell. But since you want to play that game i will be more specific - Yes, technically he is the OC but it's in name only and literally everyone knows it. Jay is still calling play and drawing up game plans. Again, you know what I meant. 

OC is OC, if you meant otherwise you could have easily said what you meant

Injuries are our reality, not an excuse, you don't like it, tough

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

@goskins10

You kinda have to follow my entire thought flow to get what I'm saying and it's tough to type it out in every post, so I get where you're coming from.

To answer you: No. The defense isn't worn out to start. It's schemed poorly to start. But as the game wears on and they get worn down, it's schemed poorly and the bad scheme is poorly executed.

You forgot to add the stellar in-game adjustments.  /sarcasm

Just now, carex said:

OC is OC, if you meant otherwise you could have easily said what you meant

Injuries are our reality, not an excuse, you don't like it, tough

And I just did exactly that, i explained it in detail. He is currently OC in name only as Jay has kept most of the OC duties. By removing Jay you let O'Connell have all the responsibilities of being an OC, not just the water boy parts. Hopefully that's clearer now. I honestly thought everyone already knew that so I was trying not to waste space. But clearly that was an error. 

Not exactly sure what point you are trying to make in the last sentence. You are right, injuries are no an excuse. They are a reality that teams should be prepared for. This team is consistently not prepared. Not to mention they keep relying on the same guys year after year. As in we are also missing Jordan Reed (forget football, for his own health he should retire. He is at huge risk for CTE if it's not already there.) 

I get you tend to defend the team more than most anyone. So after a loss like this - or two in a row in this case - you start maybe taking it personal when people are getting after the team so that's how this turned a bit salty. I can promise you nothing I said was meant to be personal. 

i think it's time to move on from at least Jay and Manusky which makes room for others and i suggested who they should be. I also see injuries as an excuse - one i am really tired of hearing from this team. Yes, it is a reality players with get injured. The teams who handle that best win. This team keeps putting themselves in the same ****ed up position every year then are shocked when guys start dropping like flies and have no real answers. It's time we move on from that excuse and do something about it. 

ITS QUITE CLEAR MANUSKY DOES NOT HAVE THE SKILLS TO BE THE DEF BOSS. HE IS NOT SEEING WHERE TO MAKE ADJUSTMENTS AND IS CONTINUALLY AND CONSISTENTLY OUT COACHED BY ALLLLLLL  OTHER TEAMS OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS. THE STRENGTH OF THIS TEAM (LOL) AS IF WE ALL DID'NT EXPECT IT, HAS BECOME A LIABILITY. ON THE OTHER SIDE, I HAPPEN TO THINK KENUM IS DOING A FINE JOB. HES NO BRADY, BUT SO FAR EFFICIENT. IF THE TEAMS PLAN OF HAVING A GREAT DEFENSE WAS WORKING, WE WOULD AT LEAST BE  1-1. 

7 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Anyone would be better than Manusky.

ANYONE.

Our D has so looked bad one, so completely ineffective, one could argue he is trying to get fired.

I would take Haz back at this point. 

*vomit* *shudder* thinking about Haz... 

But to your point I agree.  I understand that it is difficult to fire/hire a new DC mid season but what do we have with Manusky?  FIRE Manusky and promote Tomsula.  He at least knows the personnel and is capable.  Then blow everything up after the season.

Manusky is just pitiful.  I miss the days when Greg Williams was here when at least the defense had some teeth.  I refuse to believe that the talent on this defense wouldn't be playing better under a better leader.  There are too many examples around the league of quick turnarounds after a coaching change is made.  It was a mistake bringing Manusky back.  Sick of this piss poor defensive play.

25 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Remember we tried to replace him this past offseason and literally couldn't find anyone that wanted the job. Says a lot about Manusky but also about Gruden and the organization as a whole.

we have two former defensive coordinators on our staff

The Defense under Greg Williams would sometimes get burnt being too over-aggressive, but they also schemed to lock the opposing offense down.  Ever since he left, it seems like every coordinator has installed some variation on a soft zone, sacrificing the pass rush ferocity to instead drop a bunch of guys into coverage.  It hasn't work any time.  There is a reason the defense manages to be be good on 1st & 2nd downs a lot of the time, but offer absolutely nothing on 3rd down.  Did they suddenly sub into the game a bunch of scrubs for passing downs? I don't think so.  There is an issue in how they are going about the game plan.  

4 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Wouldnt we all agree the defense is hindering this team?...correct me if I'm wrong but outside of needing a little improvement in the run blocking game I think our offense looks..decent?..

The offense can be decent only if they can eliminate the drive crushing holding penalties.

Archived