Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Manusky Why Isn't He Fired Yet?

desertbeagle85

25 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

McVay inherited Goff.  Goff couldn’t play, they said.  Bust of a pick they said.  McVay will sign Kirk they said. 

Hows that working out?

If you get the right coach and the player develops, it’s not a problem.  It’s an opportunity 

Do you expect this organization to find the right coach?

3 minutes ago, posse87 said:

O’Connell has garnered attention around the league as a rising star.

This is my whole thing--He has?

19 minutes ago, carex said:

considering most of these guys have been part of winning organizations

The coaching staff have? Which ones?

The Marvin Lewis Bengals and mid-2010's Cowboys are not what I would consider winning organizations. Nevermind Manusky and the rest. 

22 minutes ago, carex said:

2nd and ten isn't a running down so with the chance of an incomplete pass you're making it a lot harder to guarantee a running play in your drive which makes it a lot harder to build up the run

Please, please please don’t try and contradict the mountain of statistical evidence which points to passing more on first down as more beneficial.  If you do, you’re just going to look like a fool.

ill give you 2 little tidbits: teams that average passing on 65% of their first downs average less yards to go the. Teams that average running on 65% of first downs.

The Skins ranked second to last last year in second down to gonib the first halves of games.  Don’t bring up the injury thing.  It’s been a trend since 2014.

Jay is going counter to all the statistics and he’s losing.  There is no defense of this at all, so it would honestly be better if you conceded on this point.  

2 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

This is my whole thing--He has?

That was reported as to why he was promoted to OC in order to avoid other teams from giving him a promotion and stealing him away. I’m sure you can google the articles if you want to fact check. 

2 hours ago, my_friend_goo said:

This is what perplexes me the most. No matter who they bring in to coach, sooner or later it reverts to the mean. The more things change the more they stay the same.

statistics aren't on our side ... sample size is too small to justify that conclusion.  Simply put they haven't brought in a game-oriented defensive coordinator.  For the love of God Almighty ... they need to bring in someone like Venables (Clemson) ... creative ... game plan oriented ... demanding ... perfectionist ... adapts his game to his players ... The Redskins have EXCELLENT TALENT on defense ... some weak area perhaps especially when injuries come into play but for Pete's sake ... the D Line are all studs!  The safeties are good to very good ... the CBs have played at much higher levels ... the LBs are at least good quite possibly very good (Holcomb BTW looks like he needs to play more).  The talent is there ... the game prep, game plan, halftime adjustments, motivation?, leadership?  ... those things aren't there.

46 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think SIP posts about that pretty frequently, at least with the passing scheme. And it's pretty apparent that guys are running open a decent amount of time. It's the timing and type of run calls that is killing us on that front I think, given our young WR corps the passing game is not garbage. Keenum is making some poor decisions and having trouble with his accuracy, which isn't helping. 

Sure, and I got plenty company as to touting Jay's ability to do play design.  I think the weaknesses (and have said so multiple times) it how the run game is set and when runs are called in the mix.  i hate the runs on first down as much as anyone.   Even after today though, on the aggregate, I am not mad at the offensive play calling.  Jay was aggressive just like he was in Philly.  And he's doing it with a journeyman QB and mostly young-rookie receivers.  i like the jet sweep action, going deep, relying heavy on the passing game among other factors.  

The Peterson stuff can get twisted a bit in discussion if for example Hoffman is correct on Jay's thinking which is simply this:  he wants the RB to be an extension of the passing game too to help keep defenses guessing.  Peterson historically speaking isn't a good pass catcher or pass blocker.  And it's not that Jay doesn't think Peterson is good.  He does think he's good but prefers a Kamara type of RB who can do it all.  It's not that crazy of an idea.  PFF among other outfits that push the modern football stuff advocate for the same narrative.  And i gather O'Connell is on the same page. 

I soured on Shanny even though I was really high on him initially because of the defense under him faltered.  If I recall I saw somewhere they haven't had a top 10 defense since 2009.    Shanny's bad defenses have extended to Jay.  Both of them have something in common -- neither one seemed to be moved enough to hire a top rated D coordinator.  While I am a talent > coaching kind of guy, I still think there is something to getting a top rate coordinator reputation wise if possible.  One of Gibbs' initial priorities was to hire Gregg Williams when he returned.  So if I have a beef with Jay right now its similar to the one I had with Shanny.

Having said that there seems to be some evidence that Bruce and maybe Dan has had their stamp in some fashion on Haz returning and Manusky.  What makes it hard for me to figure out though is while it seems like Jay wasn't opposed to either hiring was he into both hirings or going along to keep his job?  I don't blame Jay or anyone to doing what he can to keep his job.    But regardless, the last time we had a big name D coordinator was eons ago, back when Gregg Williams was here.  And while I doubt any coach would be an easy elixir, I still think this defense is underperforming.  They have too much talent on that side of the ball to stink. 

4 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I actually thought that this was why they hired him. 

4 hours ago, Canfan said:

Yes please, anything is better than the garbage we’ve been watching the last two weeks... unreal.

4 hours ago, Brokenstriker said:

... couldn't be worse and already knows how to get to the office ...

straight up ... I'm not as confident I understand defensive schemes as I am about offense ... so please ... somebody tell my why 10 yard cushions on receivers when there's no reason to beleive the QB is going to  be hurried?  ... and when at least one of the CBs is paid like a Pro Bowl player with the attitude to go with it?

1 hour ago, #BgMase76# said:

Said that today watching the game. 

You knuckleheads have been here long enough to know better. Go edit your posts. :) 

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pics, gifs, vids, or any large sections of text.
It unnecessarily extends and clutters threads and is annoying. Edit them out. If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post,you can simply highlight text, click the popup that floats over it, and it just quotes that text.  When on mobile, if you quote a post with an image in it, simply tap the image in the quote box to highlight it & hit backspace on your keyboard to delete it.

18 minutes ago, posse87 said:

That was reported as to why he was promoted to OC in order to avoid other teams from giving him a promotion and stealing him away. I’m sure you can google the articles if you want to fact check. 

Yeah, but where did that come from? I haven't really seen any national buzz about O'Connell like there was with McVay (to be fair McVay was a playcaller, he had much more of a resume--but that's exactly my point).

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yeah, but where did that come from? I haven't really seen any national buzz about O'Connell like there was with McVay (to be fair McVay was a playcaller, he had much more of a resume--but that's exactly my point).

Mcvay didn’t call plays his first year as OC. He was gradually given that duty. The articles didn’t reveal the source of its info. If Gruden et al are fired my best guess is that O’Connell will be snapped up as an OC elsewhere and maybe head coach after a longer track record as a play caller etc. I’m not claiming he has an extensive resume, just that he is on the radar in the NFL as a talented young coaching prospect. He may need more experience before being considered for a HC and then timing is off and we lose him. It doesn’t hurt or cost anything to give him legitimate consideration if they really like him. Doesn’t mean they would hire him.

I think we have to look to the college ranks to find a creative mind, Jay is reminding me way too much of Norv Turner, he has his offense that he runs and that's it, no specific game planning, route changes, etc. he just calls play's, once teams see the pattern, they pretty much know what to expect, there are no real surprises as the offense becomes more and more stagnant!! 

More to the point of our sad state of affairs; I am thinking this team will never be a formidable winning franchise so long as Danny owns the team, he's a nightmare; a fan who knows nothing about football...but thinks he does, he's the clown in everyone's Fantasy Football league who leaves everyone scratching their heads and laughing at their stupidity, and no matter how many times drafting 2 TE's with their first 2 picks winds them up in last place...there they are at the next draft doing it again!! 

2 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

Do you expect this organization to find the right coach?

You know what, you're right. It's better if the team doesn't even try to improve. They should sign Gruden and Allen for a lifetime contract because you don't expect them to find the right coach.

Close down the site guys, there's nothing left to debate.

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

You know what, you're right. It's better if the team doesn't even try to improve. They should sign Gruden and Allen for a lifetime contract because you don't expect them to find the right coach.

or you could just talk about what you see on the field

1 minute ago, carex said:

or you could just talk about what you see on the field

Yeah, but if the team is going to settle for the same staff, they might as well settle for the same players on the field. Do you expect this organization to find the right coach players?

1 minute ago, NickyJ said:

Yeah, but if the team is going to settle for the same staff, they might as well settle for the same players on the field. Do you expect this organization to find the right coach players?

I'm talking about the games

21 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Real good job bud. Jump into a conversation and read one post with out reading any other post. I'm the one that created the thread we can't win with these coaches. Also created this thread. So in other words what the hell are you talking about. If I was running this team I would've fired everyone in the off season. With that being said i'm sure who ever Snyder hires will blow, because this team has blown from the time he took over. 

Archived