Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Greg Manusky Why Isn't He Fired Yet?

desertbeagle85

20 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

In defense of Manusky, he stressed when he got here that you can never have enough quality corners... and we’re hurting there big time.  Traded away Fuller, let Breeland walk, and now we have 2 guys out with injury (well, 3 if you count Stroman).  I still can’t believe DRC made the team as I’m pretty certain his speed isn’t there and I have to assume he doesn’t play teams.  

With that said, I completely disagree with how Manusky is trying to protect the secondary by dropping 7 or 8 - you have to get to the quarterback, and this line hasn’t been getting it done.  Just not seeing the adjustments that need to be made... even if they don’t wind up working.  

The reason he wants corners is, because he doesn't send any pressure. So he needs CBs that can cover for 10 secs. Good luck with that bud 

19 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

In defense of Manusky, he stressed when he got here that you can never have enough quality corners... and we’re hurting there big time.  Traded away Fuller, let Breeland walk, and now we have 2 guys out with injury (well, 3 if you count Stroman).  I still can’t believe DRC made the team as I’m pretty certain his speed isn’t there and I have to assume he doesn’t play teams.  

With that said, I completely disagree with how Manusky is trying to protect the secondary by dropping 7 or 8 - you have to get to the quarterback, and this line hasn’t been getting it done.  Just not seeing the adjustments that need to be made... even if they don’t wind up working.  

While we're on the subject of DB's, why the hell do they continue to insist on fighting through screens!?!?!  My God they are dumb!  Take the play where Holcomb gets beat by witten.  You got two receivers there (I think they were stacked or at least close).  Instead of going with a banjo scheme (where the outside defender takes any out breaking route and the inside defender takes the inside route) they have Holcomb having to fight thru the cowpies receiver -AND- Landon Collins to try to make the play on witten.  Holcomb is fast enough to cover a receiver on an inside route in a redzone situation where everything is condensed.  Now, if the first receiver goes vertical then the two defenders carry him until the see where the second receiver goes.  Then the defender who has the receiver come toward him comes off on the 2nd receiver. 

Hell, I was able to get 9 - 11 year olds to shut down these pick plays.  But year after year we get burned on the same stupid pick plays.  It's freakin maddening!!!

Two division games, both losses.  The defense has surrendered over 30 points and 400 yards of total offense in each game.  We can't even blame the offense for putting them in bad situations, because the offense has yet to turn the ball over.  The defense just hasn't been able to get stops consistently enough.  

Defensive coordinators seat should be on fire by now.  These results are inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

How awesome would it be to get Marvin Lewis to come out of retirement?  I know he's with the Bengals FO but I still feel like he can coach defense.  Not a good head coach but a damn good DC.  

He was here before.  Got out first chance he got.  Hard no.

I would expect Manusky to be fired if I knew the soft play calling was all his doing.

And would expect him to be fired if players simply cannot understand his scheme or terminology that consistently results in our DBs making mistakes. 

Here's the thing. If our DBs couldn't understand play calling, they wouldn't be NFL players. 

If its Manusky or not at this point, I don't care. Change is not always a bad thing.

Just don't pull another: bring a '4-3 guy and insist he run a 3-4' stupidity stunt.

the coaching staff is in a dead heat for the worst in the league with the Miami Dolphins. The defense looks like they can't get loose from the blockers. Never do any defensive line stunts. Can't get pressure on the QB. Kerrigan runs himself out of every play and never holds his containment which results in big runs on his side.The coaching staff can't adjust in game after their scripted plays. The offense can't sustain drives because of penalties that rookies make but are being made by 12 year vets. Other than that they look good. HaHaHaHa!!!

3 minutes ago, desertbeagle85 said:

NO!

Yeah, let's just play hard to get because every good DC is just banging on Snyder's door to coach the defense in Washington.  We're the NFC Browns of a few years ago.  You take the best you can get.  Anyone that is really good has a job right now.  Beggars can't be choosers.

5 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I would expect Manusky to be fired if I knew the soft play calling was all his doing.

And would expect him to be fired if players simply cannot understand his scheme or terminology that consistently results in our DBs making mistakes. 

Here's the thing. If our DBs couldn't understand play calling, they wouldn't be NFL players. 

If its Manusky or not at this point, I don't care. Change is not always a bad thing.

Just don't pull another: bring a '4-3 guy and insist he run a 3-4' stupidity stunt.

I hate this labeling of coaches. Coaches adapt. Your system should be flexible enough to account for personnel changes. Belichick and McDaniels adapt to any personnel that they have and year after year they put out a great product.

Saban is capable of the same in college. And Dabo. And now Lincoln Riley. 

“But KD... they have the best players!”

Youre absolutely right. And there’s a reason they all get the best players year after year. 

Not aimed at you, Randy... the 3-4/4-3 thing is a trigger for me lately :ols:

Just now, thebeermonkey said:

I'd be amazed if he was fired. 

You don't fire him for anyone on staff.  DBs aren't looking good so Horton is out.  Rob Ryan's last two jobs as DC were disastrous.  Thomsula almost quit after this year.  I don't think he's interested in putting in the time a DC would have to put in.  So, you're talking about getting someone off the street.  Who would that be?  The list isn't very long or attractive.  And you have to consider the defense is banged up and you have to deal with the Dan Snyder circus.  (Which I'll admit seems better but he needs a couple more stable years before he gets the benefit of the doubt).

1 minute ago, skinzplay said:

Gruden should be feeling as much - if not more - heat as Manusky. Package deal. Fire them both, make Callahan interim, Horton DC and I guarantee the results are better.

No thanks on Callahan. The guy, fundamentally, is extremely intelligent and knows his stuff from a mechanics standpoint. But this is his run scheme. And our linemen regress every year. Very, very hard pass.

Archived