Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Im surprisingly pretty confident in our D. PK should be better with the additions. Was nice to see Orlov off on the right foot! He could use a career type year. Im concerned about the loss of Burt and Connolly, but if Vrana and WIlson produce like we hope, we should be g2g.. 

• Like 1

Great win against another good team.  I loved the way the Caps played the last several minutes of that game. It was textbook playing with a lead. Samsonov played well. Should have had a shutout if not for that fluky goal. But the best part was how happy Ovechkin was when the horn sounded. He was so happy for his fellow countryman to get that first win. 

Just now, Redskin4ever said:

Great win against another good team.  I loved the way the Caps played the last several minutes of that game. It was textbook playing with a lead. Samsonov played well. Should have had a shutout if not for that fluky goal. But the best part was how happy Ovechkin was when the horn sounded. He was so happy for his fellow countryman to get that first win. 

Saw that too. Made me happy seeing him throw his arms up. Looking good so far

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Welp.  Vrana is for real this year and Samsonov is ridiculous.  It’ll make losing Holtby easy.  Plus, wait until the magician gets back on the ice with Vrana.

Is Kempney gone?

Kempney's still recovering from his injury from last season.  He's expected to return soon.

Edited by PokerPacker

The Caps strangled the life out of the Islanders. No real sustained pressure from them after the first 5 minutes. Triple deflection own goal is only way Samsonov didn’t get his first career shutout. If the Caps can play defense like that all year, look out. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Popeman38 said:

The Caps strangled the life out of the Islanders. No real sustained pressure from them after the first 5 minutes. Triple deflection own goal is only way Samsonov didn’t get his first career shutout. If the Caps can play defense like that all year, look out. 

Yeah, with the exception of maybe 20-30 seconds when it was 6 on 5. Seemed like the Islanders simply couldn't run a play for a solid show on our backup goalie. 

We know last year they started well and then hit their lull in the middle of the season. Hopefully a summer of not partying like my Fraternity x10 will help them avoid that this year. 

4 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So Brindamour is a dick now, no?

Always has been. Nothing's really changed. 

Edit: I have to listen to the Hurricanes announcers. The main play by play guy is annoying, but he's a national announcer so he's more measured with his words. But the commentator is a little puke. He spent 2 minutes ranting about Reirden after calling him a friend. Then said he looks more like an undertaker behind the bench. It's extremely obnoxious to listen to him.

Edited by Redskin4ever

Eh.. we were more tired and still the better team. Just had to convert that 4 on 3, but had some bad shots and a really unlucky bounce off the post. Still got the point

We're obviously better than them, but for the future we really need to figure out their passes to the net, deflections in. They always kill us with that

5 minutes ago, China said:

When they didn't score on the power play they were due for a letdown.

I don't understand why they rotated Carlson to the Ovechkin spot for the majority of the 4 on 3. Clearly his shot from that spot isn't as deadly as Ovechkin's. There is so much space on a 4 on 3, if the defense wants to shade to Ovechkin, that just leaves so much ice open for basically a 3 on 2. I thought the Caps made it a little easier on the Hurricanes by putting Ovechkin up top and feeding Carlson on the side. I get you want to be creative on the PP and not just stand around, but I thought they could have fed Ovechkin in his spot and I like my chances when he gets clean looks from there. 

• Like 1