Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Can we all agree that Ron Francis is a lesser GM than George McPhee?  GMGM fleeced a lot of GMs during his entry draft.  Meanwhile, we took the guy we hoped Francis would take and turned him into a couple of high draft picks, and then used one of those picks to get back the guy we didn't want Francis to take.  How embarrassing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Vitek got traded back to the caps 😁😁 had to give up a 2023 2nd round pick though 

This reminds me of an old baseball story I read.  I used to have a collection of books about the baseball Hall of Shame which were wildly entertaining.  One of the stories I remember was about this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Chiti

He was traded to the New York Mets for a player to be named later, and because he was so awful, the Mets sent him back, essentially trading the guy for himself.

This is a little different as Vanacek might actually be a good player eventually, but it was the first thing I was reminded of.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Can we all agree that Ron Francis is a lesser GM than George McPhee?  GMGM fleeced a lot of GMs during his entry draft.  Meanwhile, we took the guy we hoped Francis would take and turned him into a couple of high draft picks, and then used one of those picks to get back the guy we didn't want Francis to take.  How embarrassing.

I will give them credit now though for ending up with maybe the best goalie tandem in the league. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I will give them credit now though for ending up with maybe the best goalie tandem in the league. 

They could have future-proofed their goaltender selections by picking a backup goalie that was waiver-exempt.  Kaapo Kähkönen would have been a smart selection.  And then they could have taken Nick Jensen from us (or Schultz, but Jensen is better value with his contract).  They loaded up on LHDs but are pretty barren on RHD which are more valuable given their scarcity.

47 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

They could have future-proofed their goaltender selections by picking a backup goalie that was waiver-exempt.  Kaapo Kähkönen would have been a smart selection.  And then they could have taken Nick Jensen from us (or Schultz, but Jensen is better value with his contract).  They loaded up on LHDs but are pretty barren on RHD which are more valuable given their scarcity.

I'm not saying they did great moves, but you can't deny they are set with their goalies for the next 5 years and should be one of the best duos in the league. 

49 minutes ago, zskins said:

Wait is that a good thing or a bad thing? I am not up to trading in NHL and how it works unlike the NFL.

Getting Vitek back? Definitely a good thing. He played well last season. As for giving up a 2nd round pick, well, my guess is most sports teams would like to have as many draft picks as possible, so i guess that’s a bad thing. 

3 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Rangers signed Ryan Reaves last night. Tom Wilson lives rent-free in their heads even in July 😂😂😂

And for all their huffing and puffing about what a "dirty" player Willy is, they go out and get a guy who has just as bad of a record.  Whatever, if they want to waste a roster spot on an aging goon who is going to play 6 minutes per night, let them. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • ixcuincle changed the title to 2021-22 Washington Capitals Thread