Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

7 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Are the lists public?  I'd hope not.  I feel like it's bad for players to see that the team chose not to protect them despite ultimately remaining with the team.

They will be public today. I've seen 9am & 10am in different articles. This one is from the PHL website:

On Saturday by 5 p.m. ET, Flyers general manager Chuck Fletcher and company had to submit the list of players the team will protect from Seattle's picking. On Sunday at 10 a.m. ET, the NHL's central registry will distribute each protection list to the Kraken and other clubs. The Flyers' protection list will be released around that time Sunday.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/flyers/2021-nhl-expansion-draft-details-predicting-flyers-protected-list-seattle-kraken#

The Caps site just mentions "Sunday"

Each team in the NHL will have the option of protecting seven forwards, three defensemen and a goalie or eight skaters and a goalie. Each protected list is due Saturday and will be revealed on Sunday. That means it is officially decision time for each NHL team including the Capitals.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/nhl-expansion-draft-predicting-capitals-protected-list

Protected list via RMNB:

• Nicklas Backstrom
  • Lars Eller
  • Evgeny Kuznetsov
  • Anthony Mantha
  • T.J. Oshie
  • Daniel Sprong
  • Tom Wilson
  • John Carlson
  • Dmitry Orlov
  • Trevor van Riemsdyk
  •  Ilya Samsonov

Only thing different from my personal protection list is TvR, where I had instead Nick Jensen.  Both are right-handed Defenseman, but TvR's cap hit is only $800,000 a year versus Jensen's $2.5 mil.  TvR didn't play much last season, but I thought he played well when given the opportunity, and raised Dillon's game when paired with him.

22 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

image.png.244f313bcfc607bed67d8de608da61b8.png

Yeah, I had originally thought he was the obvious choice for the Kracken to take, but there are a lot of eligible goalies.  I'm guessing we're gonna lose either Nick Dowd, or a right-handed defenseman (Jensen or Schultz).  Connor Sheary is another possibility.

He was solid and it sucks losing him but it's not a surprise. I think it's likely that the Caps window has shut with GMBM as far as winning a title. They will still be good but unless he dramatically changes courses and becomes a much better GM, I won't expect another playoff run. Would be great if this aged poorly. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/vitek-vanecek-gone-capitals-are-left-salary-cap-crunch

Good summary of how much GMBM has ****ed up the cap situation...again. He is going to give away so many picks to clean this up. If he doesn't trade Vrana, the Caps aren't in a salary cap crunch and they'd still have the first and second he gave away. He's terrible. So frustrating. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hersh said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/vitek-vanecek-gone-capitals-are-left-salary-cap-crunch

Good summary of how much GMBM has ****ed up the cap situation...again. He is going to give away so many picks to clean this up. If he doesn't trade Vrana, the Caps aren't in a salary cap crunch and they'd still have the first and second he gave away. He's terrible. So frustrating. 

Vrana was going to be in for a pay raise.  Part of the reason for the trade was that Mantha's salary was a known quantity.

Not that I'm saying GMBM hasn't put us in a precarious cap situation.  His thing seems to be about going all-in to win.  Once the window is truly closed, it will be interesting to see if he can transition into a team-builder.

Edited by PokerPacker

13 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Vrana was going to be in for a pay raise.  Part of the reason for the trade was that Mantha's salary was a known quantity.

Not that I'm saying GMBM hasn't put us in a precarious cap situation.  His thing seems to be about going all-in to win.  Once the window is truly closed, it will be interesting to see if he can transition into a team-builder.

I know the Caps wouldn't have been able to keep Vrana, but they could've traded his rights after the season and used the extra cap space plus the picks they wouldn't have sent in the trade. This all in approach, which includes overpaying marginal players is killing the team. At some point you have to develop talent to support the core and you have to make tough decisions to bring in younger, faster players. It's problematic that they don't have a regular starter drafted since 2016. It's not sustainable. 

9 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I know the Caps wouldn't have been able to keep Vrana, but they could've traded his rights after the season and used the extra cap space plus the picks they wouldn't have sent in the trade. This all in approach, which includes overpaying marginal players is killing the team. At some point you have to develop talent to support the core and you have to make tough decisions to bring in younger, faster players. It's problematic that they don't have a regular starter drafted since 2016. It's not sustainable. 

The problem with bringing in younger players is that Laviolette won't play them.

On our current roster, I can't think of too many guys that fit the mold of over-paid marginal players.  Dillon is may be a little overpaid based on recent production.  Hagelin perhaps a bit given he's on the 4th line, but that line's been solid, plus he eats PK minutes.

Edited by PokerPacker

10 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

The problem with bringing in younger players is that Laviolette won't play them.

I don't think he's gonna have a choice this year. Need to sign Ovi, Sammy and Raffl, plus find a goalie and we're (imo) +/- 6 mil shy of being able to do that currently.. Somebody(s) about to be gone and their replacements are gonna have to be either very cheap or very young.. (probably hopefully both) lol 

Edited by GoDeep81

19 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I don't think he's gonna have a choice this year. Need to sign Ovi, Sammy and Raffl, plus find a goalie and we're (imo) +/- 6 mil shy of being able to do that currently.. Somebody(s) about to be gone and their replacements are gonna have to be either very cheap or very young.. (probably hopefully both) lol 

And they should be. They should've started this last seaso but they've refused to give rookies much of a chance the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

Caps took Vincent Iorio with their first pick of the draft (55th overall, since they traded their first in the Mantha deal).

Elite Prospects scouting report on Iorio:

Iorio on the breakout is basically Han Solo with a blaster: Well-placed laser-beam after well-placed laser-beam. He misdirects opponents by looking relaxed, even vulnerable, before firing. He looks off his target, skates into the lane, then holds the deception until the puck’s released, even for long-range, three-line passes.

6'3", 194 lbs, he's already got an NHL frame, though I assume he'll be putting on some more weight on it before he enters the league.  Seems to possess a decent shot to go along with his breakout ability.  Other scouting reports are saying that he's an all-around type of defenseman; apparently he was solid defensively and more recently has been turning up the offensive production.  And he's a right-hand shot, which brings additional value on defense.

Capitals pick another right-handed defenseman at #80 in Brent Johnson.  Fun fact, Brent Johnson was named after former Capitals goalie Brent Johnson, because Brent Johnson was born in St. Louis when Brent Johnson was St. Louis' starting goaltender.

Currently listed at 5-11, 161, he's going to need to put on some weight to play D in the NHL.

Edited by PokerPacker

Caps used their last pick in the draft on a new goaltending prospect, Chase Clark.  Pretty big kid at 6'6", 218 lbs. 18-2-1 record in the NCDC last year with a 1.92 GAA and .935 SV%. Also he's a lefty (catches right).  Last lefty we had in net, as far as I can remember, was Jose Theodore. 

Unrelated note, I saw there was an American goaltending prospect eligible for the draft named Braden Holt.   Maybe next year.

Overall, this was a defense-first draft for the Caps.  Without a first round pick, they went with D in their first three picks in rounds 2, 3, and 4.  5th round they drafted a guy that projects as a forward, but also played on defense.  Then back to defense with the first pick in the 6th and a goalie with their second pick in the 6th, and final pick of the draft, a goalie.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maxito said:

Bye bye Brendon Dillon,

Caps just traded him to the Jets for two 2nd round picks.   I have a feeling this move was in order to resign Ovi.  

https://www.japersrink.com/2021/7/26/22595303/capitals-trade-brenden-dillon-to-winnipeg-jets

I liked Dillon's grit, but it didn't step up in the playoffs like I'd hoped from his type of defender which made his cap hit too much for the production given the cheaper options we had available.  Needed to make room on the left side for a young defender to come in and play, too.  Two seconds is a decent haul for us while we free up pretty significant cap space.

Edited by PokerPacker

I'll give credit to GMBM for being able to swing the deal to unload Dillon.  A week ago we were hoping Seattle would take him for nothing.  Instead, we get two 2nd round picks for him.  As I read the article I kept waiting to hear that there were strings attached (like us covering some salary).  I can't believe another GM values him that highly, but I know Winnipeg needs help on the blueline.

I agree with others that Dillon is a solid defenseman, but he's replaceable with cheaper in-house prospects.  And he looked awful in the Bruins series.