Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

It blows my mind that the Caps didn't want to keep/pay Trotz, yet the Wiz might keep a ****ing loser of a coach for money who hasn't won ****. GMBM has completely failed as a GM the last few years. Bad signings, bad trades, horrible decision to promote Reirdon. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't remember exactly who it was for certain but I think it was Travis Thomas on his show talking about it, but he said he was basically a Caps beat reporter at the time and the reason Trotz didn't get a new contract was because he didn't kiss ass.

Hold on. I don’t follow it all as closely as you guys do but wasn’t, at some point, a major discussion point that trotz didn’t want to be here? 

I remember the caps not wanting to pay element I just also seem to remember a “but he doesn’t want to be here anyway” part too 

Laviolette is gonna be a one hitter quitter we are gonna run his ass out of town cause the teams gonna start to suck.

Just now, tshile said:

Hold on. I don’t follow it all as closely as you guys do but wasn’t, at some point, a major discussion point that trotz didn’t want to be here? 

I remember the caps not wanting to pay element I just also seem to remember a “but he doesn’t want to be here anyway” part too 

I think he was soured because the team wasn’t playing well under him. Then they ralleyed thanks to Grubauer and a good defensive system.

Just now, tshile said:

No, there are as never anything from Trotz to indicate that. GMBM thought the assistant coach was gonna be some great head coach and didn’t want to lose home 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/capitals/now-islanders-coach-barry-trotz-explains-why-he-left-capitals

A source told NBC Sports Washington earlier this week that Trotz, who directed the Caps to their first Stanley Cup two weeks ago, sought $5 million per season for five seasons. The five-year term, that source said, was a non-starter as far as the Caps were concerned, given the relatively short shelf life of NHL coaches and the fact that Trotz had already been in Washington for four seasons.

When it became clear that the sides weren’t going to close the considerable gap between their positions, Trotz offered to step down and the resignation was accepted, making the 55-year-old a free agent.

When “I got the [counteroffer], I guess I knew it was time to go in a different direction,” he said.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 1:50 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Has there been any info yet on who our local game broadcast announcers will be? 

What no more Craig Laughlin and Joe Beninati? I know that ESPN is going to be covering Nationally Broadcast games.  If its no longer on Comcast SportsNet which channel is going to show the local games?

In other news the Protection players are going to be due today for the expansion draft. 

34 minutes ago, Maxito said:

What no more Craig Laughlin and Joe Beninati? I know that ESPN is going to be covering Nationally Broadcast games.  If its no longer on Comcast SportsNet which channel is going to show the local games?

In other news the Protection players are going to be due today for the expansion draft. 

Well since NBCSW isn’t a thing anymore, i wasn’t sure if they’d still be the broadcasters for our local games. I hope they are, for whatever channel the games are on