Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So a team can put a FA on the unprotected list?  You sure about that?  That hardly seems fair to the expansion team.  

It basically sounded like Ovi isn't under the Caps control right now.  He's a FA so he's basically "on his own" and sure, Seattle can take him, but he's also free to then go sign a deal elsewhere after they spent the pick on him.

And Seattle knows that can (and will) happen so they won't bother wasting a pick on him.

31 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

So a team can put a FA on the unprotected list?  You sure about that?  That hardly seems fair to the expansion team.  

Yes. I don't think they have to include RFA's either. Why should a team have to protect a player that has the freedom to leave on their own as a FA. 

• Like 1

Just feed Ovi pucks at this point, I’m glad we got our cup or this all would be unbearable. 895 would but bigger than a second cup IMO. I think our window is pretty much closed unless they catch fire in the playoffs next year 

3 hours ago, max21 said:

Just feed Ovi pucks at this point, I’m glad we got our cup or this all would be unbearable. 895 would but bigger than a second cup IMO. I think our window is pretty much closed unless they catch fire in the playoffs next year 

895 just isn't gonna happen at this point; 1 1/2 seasons lost to lockouts really screwed him, and the 40 or so games lost to COVID was probably the nail in the coffin.  And as we saw at the end of the season, even he's not exempt from getting injured and missing significant time, and it's reasonable to think this could continue as he gets older.

But he should be able to reach the 800 club, which is remarkable.  802 would put him second, and it would be pretty indisputable that he is truly the greatest goal scorer of all time when adjusted for the era he played in.

Edited by capcrunch98

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

895 just isn't gonna happen at this point; 1 1/2 seasons lost to lockouts really screwed him, and the 40 or so games lost to COVID was probably the nail in the coffin.  And as we saw at the end of the season, even he's not exempt from getting injured and missing significant time, and it's reasonable to think this could continue as he gets older.

But he should be able to reach the 800 club, which is remarkable.  802 would put him second, and it would be pretty indisputable that he is truly the greatest goal scorer of all time when adjusted for the era he played in.

You’re probably right, might as well go back to Bodreaus run and gun style all offensive attack lol

14 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I should've phrased it that they aren't under contract with the team so they don't need to be protected. 

They need to be protected if you want to keep them.  If Seattle selects an RFA, they'll hold the negotiation rights of that player, which includes tendering their RFA status.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Hersh said:

I stand corrected. Also, apparently the Kraken could take a pending UFA, which is bizarre to me 

Taking a pending UFA gives them the rights to exclusively negotiate until Free Agency starts.  Not the greatest of plays, but there have been instances where teams have traded for expiring UFAs for that exclusive negotiation period.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Taking a pending UFA gives them the rights to exclusively negotiate until Free Agency starts.  Not the greatest of plays, but there have been instances where teams have traded for expiring UFAs for that exclusive negotiation period.

Can also be a "wink / nod trade agreement". Take the UFA or RFA, sign him, then trade him back for a pick.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah you’re right i saw a post on a capitals fans fb group that said he won 5 series, i thought it said in a row. That is indeed NOT what it said. 

he’s won 5 since he left, we haven’t won any 

Yeah, I had this exact same conversation with someone yesterday before I read your post lol.

It did take Barry four seasons here to advance past the second round. But once he did, and won the Cup that year, the team needed to pay him.

The only reason Leonsis has gotten so much love is that he's lucky enough to be a pro sports owner in the same town as Dan Snyder.

• Like 1