Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, SkinsFanRob said:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2021/03/24/tim-peel-fired-by-nhl-after-getting-caught-on-hot-mic-admitting-to-bogus-penalty-call/

tim peel fired by nhl after admitting on hot mic he just wanted to give preds a penalty. 

peel has always been a tool. Good riddance. 

Yes he has.

The second incident was a four-minute roughing/holding penalty assessed to Washington forward Alex Ovechkin. Peel is said to have told Wyshynski he wouldn’t have made such a call. But in a 4-0 contest? The league, in Peel’s mind, wanted the call made for the sake of “game management” to ensure a one-sided affair between two rivals didn’t get out of control.

Peel said he explained to Capitals head coach Barry Trotz why he was making the call and that Trotz understood.

14 minutes ago, China said:

Yes he has.

As I am now a hockey official, one of the early lessons in USA hockey training is that admitting a mistake was made is the expectation. (I actually have my first hockey officiating game in over a year this Saturday) 

For the record, Tim Peel was not fired.  He is just not working any more games.  And he was set to retire in a month, anyways.  This is a very minimal response from the league.  I'm fairly certain they were quite okay with how Tim Peel called his games; they just didn't like that he got caught.  Now they're making a show of "holding him accountable" by basically pushing him into retirement a month early.  That ought to convince the fans that they take this seriously and don't condone the behavior.

• Like 1

Let’s not kid ourselves.

This kind of thing happens every single game. Further, we don’t even mind. In fact... we encourage it. How many times have the refs missed a call and then called something later on that wasn’t as egregious? How many times have we had 3 calls against us in one period, only to have it evened out in the next? How about “letting the boys play”?

Its all about controlling the game, or rather the excitement of the game. It happens every single game from every single official.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

Let’s not kid ourselves.

This kind of thing happens every single game. Further, we don’t even mind. In fact... we encourage it. How many times have the refs missed a call and then called something later on that wasn’t as egregious? How many times have we had 3 calls against us in one period, only to have it evened out in the next? How about “letting the boys play”?

Its all about controlling the game, or rather the excitement of the game. It happens every single game from every single official.

In pretty much every sport and every competitive level of sports. 

20 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

For the record, Tim Peel was not fired.  He is just not working any more games.  And he was set to retire in a month, anyways.  This is a very minimal response from the league.  I'm fairly certain they were quite okay with how Tim Peel called his games; they just didn't like that he got caught.  Now they're making a show of "holding him accountable" by basically pushing him into retirement a month early.  That ought to convince the fans that they take this seriously and don't condone the behavior.

It's not the leagues fault that he was retiring at the end of the season. They did all they could do and firing the guy, embarrassing him, and denying him the opportunity to work the last month of his career is still a punishment and all they could really do.  

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Tried that, says this broadcast isn’t available in my area.......even though I’m in DC.............😑 it should not be this hard to watch hockey. Come the **** on NBCSW. 

I downloaded the nbc sports app. It has you select your provider and you should be able to watch from there 

3 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It's not the leagues fault that he was retiring at the end of the season. They did all they could do and firing the guy, embarrassing him, and denying him the opportunity to work the last month of his career is still a punishment and all they could really do.  

That's the narrative they're trying to push, which I guess seems to be working.  Throw a guy who's retiring anyways under the bus to save face for the organization.  They suspended him once before in the past, and it wasn't because of his poor officiating, but because he spoke to a reporter.  That's what it is they actually care about.