Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020-21 Washington Capitals Thread


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Shock of the century, Carlson robbed of Norris trophy.  Seems points only matter when it's not a Capital scoring them.

JC is one of my favorite Caps ever, and as nice of a guy off the ice as you'll ever meet.  But there's no question Josi (and Hedman) are better all-around defenseman.  My only issue with Carlson not getting it is what you alluded to - some years it seems like points alone can win the award as long as the guy isn't an absolute disaster in his own end (like honestly, I completely understood why Mike Green never won it).  In fact, the guy who announced the award last night - Paul Coffey - won it 3 times solely based on offense.  There's just no consistency to the award at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

JC is one of my favorite Caps ever, and as nice of a guy off the ice as you'll ever meet.  But there's no question Josi (and Hedman) are better all-around defenseman.  My only issue with Carlson not getting it is what you alluded to - some years it seems like points alone can win the award as long as the guy isn't an absolute disaster in his own end (like honestly, I completely understood why Mike Green never won it).  In fact, the guy who announced the award last night - Paul Coffey - won it 3 times solely based on offense.  There's just no consistency to the award at all.

 

The NHL does a pretty good job with awards. They should actually have two awards for defense, one for best offensive defenseman and one based on actually playing defense without regard for points. Something similar to the Rocket Richard trophy 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

The NHL does a pretty good job with awards. They should actually have two awards for defense, one for best offensive defenseman and one based on actually playing defense without regard for points. Something similar to the Rocket Richard trophy 

 

I feel like the Norris trophy hasn't gone to the best "defensive" defenseman since Langway won it almost 40 years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah I have no real disdain for Tampa. We had a pretty good ECF against them in our '18 run. Good redemption after the couple previous times they bounced us from the playoffs.

When Capitals were down in the series in '18

3-2 , I  never expected back to back shutouts from Holtby would enable them to rally back and take the series 

That's has to be in the top 5 of all time Capitals playoff series 

Edited by c slag
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know why Matt Niskanen retired?  Early 30's, $5 mil left on his current contract, seemed to have a solid season last year with Philly, plays for contender.  Hope everything is okay with him.  Maybe winning the Cup two years ago gave him a sense of closure to his career?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

So what do you chumps think about Lundquist between the pipes?

 

I don't get this move at all. He's gotten worse each of the last 6 years going from 2.25 GA to 3.16 this last season. His save percentage has also gotten worse all every year but one. The Caps have a bad defense and now they want to bring in an old goalie that gives up over 3 goals a game. Makes no sense to me unless he's willing to be a back up. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

Anyone know why Matt Niskanen retired?  Early 30's, $5 mil left on his current contract, seemed to have a solid season last year with Philly, plays for contender.  Hope everything is okay with him.  Maybe winning the Cup two years ago gave him a sense of closure to his career?

Didn't want to deal with Corona Hockey.

Also, Dillon apparently re-signed 4-years $3.9 mil per year

Link to post
Share on other sites

Caps moved up 3 spots to pick this kid in the first round

 

22. Washington Capitals: Hendrix Lapierre, C

Team: Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Ranking: 25 | Nationality: CAN
Age: 18 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 179 | Shot: L
Stats: 19 GP, 2 G, 15 A

Scouting report: Concussion and neck problems potentially derailed a season that got off to a spectacular start at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. Lapierre is a high-end talent with excellent vision and puck skills, though his QMJHL performance when he was healthy -- or at least moderately healthy -- was not in line with his previously lofty projections. -- Peters

Where Lapierre is most likely to play in 2020-21: QMJHL

 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29995856/nhl-draft-2020-live-updates-pick-analysis-all-31-teams-seven-rounds

7 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I was on the phone when I read it...my best friend in WV was like,"What are you yelling about?"

If we were gonna do that, just stick with Holtby. 

 

He will be cheaper than holtby

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

ya, he has multiple teams interested in him, so wouldnt make sense to go to a team where he'd be a backup.

 

I don't see anything about teams looking at him as the starting netminder. Everything I see says backup playing maybe 30 games

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, turtle said:

Caps moved up 3 spots to pick this kid in the first round

 

22. Washington Capitals: Hendrix Lapierre, C

Team: Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Ranking: 25 | Nationality: CAN
Age: 18 | Ht: 6-0 | Wt: 179 | Shot: L
Stats: 19 GP, 2 G, 15 A

Scouting report: Concussion and neck problems potentially derailed a season that got off to a spectacular start at the Hlinka Gretzky Cup. Lapierre is a high-end talent with excellent vision and puck skills, though his QMJHL performance when he was healthy -- or at least moderately healthy -- was not in line with his previously lofty projections. -- Peters

Where Lapierre is most likely to play in 2020-21: QMJHL

 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/29995856/nhl-draft-2020-live-updates-pick-analysis-all-31-teams-seven-rounds

 

He will be cheaper than holtby

 

Looked up the QMJHL cause I had no idea what it stood for. Apparently they are dealing with major Covid issues already. Looks to be a high reward/high risk pick. Lots of concussions already. 

Edited by Hersh
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

I don't see anything about teams looking at him as the starting netminder. Everything I see says backup playing maybe 30 games

gotcha. well at least theyre getting a veteran goaltender for cheap, just in case samsonov needs a little more mentoring before completely taking over. doesnt hurt to have someone with his experience when the contract is WAY better than what holtbeast is going to get

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • ixcuincle changed the title to 2020-21 Washington Capitals Thread

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...