Jump to content
Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020-21 Washington Capitals Thread


Recommended Posts

If the playoffs started tomorrow, Vitek is the starter and you don't rotate him out unless he has a bad game. He's been better since Samsonov has gotten back. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn that game was fun last night. I've come around to the Mantha trade, and that was before he scored.  I wasn't crazy about giving up those picks but it was as much a cap move as anything else. And Mantha is just entering his prime, if they can extend him he will be a core piece here for years.  And he gives them a much better chance this year than they had a week ago.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Damn that game was fun last night. I've come around to the Mantha trade, and that was before he scored.  I wasn't crazy about giving up those picks but it was as much a cap move as anything else. And Mantha is just entering his prime, if they can extend him he will be a core piece here for years.  And he gives them a much better chance this year than they had a week ago.

 

 

 

He is in the first year of a 4 year contract. Only thing that matters is if he performs in the playoffs. Vrana has been bad in the last two playoffs so it's a low bar to clear. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

He is in the first year of a 4 year contract. Only thing that matters is if he performs in the playoffs. Vrana has been bad in the last two playoffs so it's a low bar to clear. 

 

I read somewhere that we overpaid for him. You are right about the low bar but if he makes key plays in the playoffs and the team advance then overpaying for him won't be seen as a factor. He did shine in his first game with us though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zskins said:

 

I read somewhere that we overpaid for him. You are right about the low bar but if he makes key plays in the playoffs and the team advance then overpaying for him won't be seen as a factor. He did shine in his first game with us though. 

 

This was a big overpay regardless of how he performs. I certainly hope he performs well but it's really Cup or bust now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

 

This was a big overpay regardless of how he performs. I certainly hope he performs well but it's really Cup or bust now. 

 

Yeah you are right. The Cup is the bar for him now. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Mantha - he is a better player than Vrana and may more versatile. Jake has no physical presence, does not play any defense and is speed or nothing. Now that speed is a massive asset and he could develop into a 30-goal scorer given a new role on a new team with proper PP time, but for Lavi's system it doesn't work. If Mantha is motivated he can do much more all over the ice.

 

The 1st rounder hurts but player for player we win and Panik is addition by subtraction because he was overpaid and it was going to be worse now that the cap will not go up for probably two years. We get a very good, borderline 1st line player under team control for three years. Vrana was due a huge pay day at season's end, and would have cost too much. Better to get something for him than nothing.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

On Mantha - he is a better player than Vrana and may more versatile. Jake has no physical presence, does not play any defense and is speed or nothing. Now that speed is a massive asset and he could develop into a 30-goal scorer given a new role on a new team with proper PP time, but for Lavi's system it doesn't work. If Mantha is motivated he can do much more all over the ice.

 

The 1st rounder hurts but player for player we win and Panik is addition by subtraction because he was overpaid and it was going to be worse now that the cap will not go up for probably two years. We get a very good, borderline 1st line player under team control for three years. Vrana was due a huge pay day at season's end, and would have cost too much. Better to get something for him than nothing.

 

This is a good take. Vrana will never live up to expectations. He's Semin, he's Kozy, always leaving fans wanting more.  I was not happy initially seeing the oldest team in the league giving up 2 high picks.  You always need to be filling the pipeline with young talent. But this is not a 1 year rental, this is a good player in his prime under team control for years at a good price as we go into 2 years of a flat salary cap.  Can they get a player this good with a late first round pick or that 2nd?  Highly doubtful.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...