Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread (Ted ditches plan to move to VA, will stay in DC!)

ixcuincle

22 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don't care if the Caps don't win another Cup. I'm just going to spend the next few years enjoying Ovechkin's play. 

Another Stanley Cup for Ovi and he could definitely be mentioned as one of the greatest players of all time,  especially among the national media 

3 minutes ago, c slag said:

Another Stanley Cup for Ovi and he could definitely be mentioned as one of the greatest players of all time,  especially among the national media 

If he gets to number 2 on the all-time goals list he will be mentioned in the top-10 all time greatest players 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

I’m on the fence with this one, this is a pay increase of $1.5 million.  Is he really a $9 million dollar player?  I’m guessing that’s the going rate for a 70 pt player these days?

Some of this is due to him being severely underpaid for years. 

Holtby is definitely gone next season. I would trade him now for assets.

I don't think I'd trade Holts midseason.  It lines up that we have 5 more years before a major rebuild and no more Ovi, so every chance counts.  Chances get worse each year as the core ages more.  I don't think I want to go into the playoffs this year with a rookie goalie when I can have a guy that already won a Stanley Cup.  They probably wouldn't get much for a 1/2 year rental.  

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think I'd trade Holts midseason.  It lines up that we have 5 more years before a major rebuild and no more Ovi, so every chance counts.  Chances get worse each year as the core ages more.  I don't think I want to go into the playoffs this year with a rookie goalie when I can have a guy that already won a Stanley Cup.  They probably wouldn't get much for a 1/2 year rental.  

I'm good with going with a rookie goalie in the playoffs. We've seen multiple rookie netminders win a Cup in the last few years. Also, a trade could either return an upgrade at D or allow for cap flexibility to bring in a top level D even as a rental. I think the Caps D is pretty bad this season. 

Now, this could be like a couple years ago where Grubauer was great in the regular and Holtby took over in the playoffs, but right now Samsonov is drastically outplaying Holtby. 

• Like 1

Not sure Holtby is playing well enough, at this point, to get anything back BUT cap space? Which we'll still get once he walks. It's a toss up, but I think I'd rather roll with it and see how he does and hopefully lights it up for the playoffs. At some point though, Reirden is gonna have to start giving Sam more starts.  I'd of already shifted myself, but you have to think if he's not on his game Thursday, the "break" might be the time it happens.. 

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

I'm good with going with a rookie goalie in the playoffs. We've seen multiple rookie netminders win a Cup in the last few years. Also, a trade could either return an upgrade at D or allow for cap flexibility to bring in a top level D even as a rental. I think the Caps D is pretty bad this season. 

Now, this could be like a couple years ago where Grubauer was great in the regular and Holtby took over in the playoffs, but right now Samsonov is drastically outplaying Holtby. 

Yea, your second point is why I lean towards keeping him.  The Stanley Cup year, Holtby was playing poorly enough that he did not even start the first game of the playoffs.  But then he was awesome.  What happens if you trade him and Sam gets hurt, or regresses, or the playoffs are too big for him the first go round?  Just too much uncertainty for me to trade Holtby for probably not a ton.  I dunno, I'm leaning that way, but it's not a strong lean.  I wouldn't be upset either way.  Upgrading Jensen would be good.